Movement Charter/Community Consultation
The Movement Charter Drafting Committee (MCDC) is working since November 2021 on developing the Movement Charter. The Movement Charter will be a document that defines the roles and responsibilities for all the members and entities of the Wikimedia movement, including laying out a new Global Council for movement governance. Creating such a charter was previously proposed in the Movement Strategy recommendations.
During the 2022 Wikimedia Summit, the MCDC presented the first outline of the Charter, giving a glimpse on the direction of its future work, and the Charter itself. The MCDC then integrated the initial feedback collected during the Summit.
Before proceeding with writing the Charter for the whole Movement, the MCDC wants to interact with the wider Wikimedia communities and gather feedback on the drafts of the first three sections: Preamble, Values & Principles, and Roles & Responsibilities (intentions statement).
November-December 2022 consultationEdit
The community consultation to collect feedback on the draft of the first three sections of the Movement Charter is taking place between November 20 and December 18, 2022. Feedback can be shared in different ways and in the language you prefer:
- Filling out the feedback survey (anonymously and available in multiple languages);
- Sharing feedback on the talk page on Meta;
- Sharing feedback in Movement Strategy Forum:
- Sending an email to movementcharter wikimedia org; or
- If your local community/organization have a Movement Charter Ambassador, join the local conversations that they are organizing.
Ask Me Anything on Movement Charter sessionsEdit
With the goal of ensuring that anyone interested is well informed to fully participate in the conversations and are empowered to contribute their perspective on the Movement Charter, three Ask Me Anything about Movement Charter sessions were organized, scheduled for different time zones. These sessions took before the community consultation period.
The sessions are for anyone interested in learning about the Movement Charter: Goal, purpose, why it matters to a Wikimedian as well as communities, and what impact it has. Members of the MCDC will be present to answer any questions on the Charter you might have and receive feedback. All three sessions follow the same structure and program.
Ask Me Anything #1: Asia-PacificEdit
Ask Me Anything #2: Europe/MENA/Sub Saharan AfricaEdit
Ask Me Anything #3: Western Europe/North and South AmericaEdit
For the regional conversations, please observe the following points:
- Everyone can join the call (via Zoom/Google Meet), no registration needed.
- Access links for calls will be shared 48 hours before on this page
- Engage as you like: speaking up, writing, or just listening.
- With exception of the Middle East and North Africa session, the event will be conducted in English; simultaneous interpretation available.
- The conversations will not be recorded, except for the section where participants are invited to share what they discussed in the breakout rooms. Documentation (notes and videos) are available on Meta.
- For a welcoming space for everyone, constructive communication is expected by everyone. The Universal Code of Conduct applies.
Regional conversation: Northern & Western EuropeEdit
Regional conversation: Sub-Saharan AfricaEdit
Regional conversation: Central and Eastern Europe and Central AsiaEdit
Regional conversation: South AsiaEdit
Regional conversation: Middle East and North AfricaEdit
Regional conversation: United States and CanadaEdit
Regional conversation: Latin America and the CaribbeanEdit
Regional conversation: East Asia, South East Asia, and the PacificEdit