Open main menu

User talk:Ad Huikeshoven

Active discussions

Hello. Feedback by real persons are welcome. Template and bot generated messages on this page will be removed. Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 11:53, 28 March 2012 (UTC)

Contents

Fundraising translation feedbackEdit

Hey Ad Huikeshoven,

I wanted to ask for your help. As you may be aware we have been running banners on many language wikis. We have a lot of new content this year and I really want to conduct a thorough review of our translations. This is a combination of feedback from the community, readers, donors as well as those with professional translator experience. This will help us ensure the highest quality of translations used in our messaging.

To help us out with this I wonder if you would be willing to give us feedback for Dutch using This Link

Simply follow the simple instructions on that page and if you have any questions feel free to contact me on my talk page.

Many Thanks

Jseddon (WMF) (talk) 18:32, 1 April 2013 (UTC)

ThanksEdit

for correcting/moving minutes :)

Jan-bart

You're welcome. Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 09:52, 7 July 2013 (UTC)

Come celebrate IdeaLab’s (re)Launch!Edit

We’ve redesigned the Grants:IdeaLab to make awesome collaborators and shiny new ideas easier to find.
You’re invited to the (re)Launch party!

Come visit and create a profile, share or join an idea, and tell us what you think about the updates!

Hope to see you there! Siko (WMF) (talk) 19:09, 11 July 2013 (UTC)

Your thoughts, pleaseEdit

Hello Ad - I was scanning through the list of Teahouse/Hosts, and saw you were from the Nederlands. My most favorite place in the world is Bonaire, a small Dutch municipality that was formerly one of the five Netherlands Antilles. Have you ever been there? Moving on….I'm actually not new to Wiki having been an editor since 2011. I'm still trying to learn all the acronyms and initialisms for the many editor/admin/help pages which is actually how I stumbled onto the Teahouse. My reason for contacting you is two-fold. To begin I wanted to get your input on a subject that is inherently controversial. I've maintained a NPVO in my edits, but can't say the same for some of the other editors. In fact, this very controversial subject has taken on a life of its own, and has grown into a series of articles with links to BLPs - all controversial. I question the motives, certain parts of the editing, and the guardianship of this particular series. Secondly, while performing a rather routine edit on Anjem Choudary, I accidentally discovered a hidden symbol, and wanted to discuss it with you to see if you can figure out how it got there. I managed to capture the symbols using screen capture, and saved them as jpegs. Can I discuss this with you further via email? Thanking you in advance, Ms. Atsme (talk) 04:36, 21 February 2014 (UTC)

Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal ClinicsEdit

Hello, Ad Huikeshoven! We've added Events to IdeaLab, and you're invited :)

Upcoming events focus on turning ideas into Individual Engagement Grant proposals before the March 31 deadline. Need help or have questions about IEG? Join us at a Hangout:

  • Thursday, 13 March 2014, 1600 UTC
  • Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 1700 UTC
  • Saturday, 29 March 2014, 1700 UTC

Hope to see you there!

This message was delivered automatically to IEG and IdeaLab participants. To unsubscribe from any future IEG reminders, remove your name from this list

Strategy project & updateEdit

Dear Ad, I hope you are well.

There have been many discussions recently about strategy, and we need to revisit our current movement strategy and find new ways forward. As an effort to organize efforts and help facilitate a movement-wide discussion, I'm returning to the strategy project idea.

Would you please take a look at the page and share your thoughts there? And feel free to ping others who might be interested in joining.

Thanks and regards, SJ talk  02:05, 5 June 2014 (UTC)

2014 FDC self-nominationEdit

Hello, Ad! Thank you very much for submitting your nomination to join the Funds Dissemination Committee. I am working with the Board representatives to the FDC on the FDC nominations process. As you know, the public question and answer period is now underway. Please do review the questions and respond to them as you are able. If you are selected for an interview, kindly note that interviews will be held the week of the 23rd June and the 30th, if necessary. If the Board appoints you to the FDC, we will be holding orientation for members prior to Wikimania on August 6 and 7 in London. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reach out to me on my Talk page or at FDCsupport@wikimedia.org. Once again, thank you very much for putting yourself forward as a candidate for the FDC! KLove (WMF) (talk) 00:10, 20 June 2014 (UTC)

Hi Katy I'm available for interviews these weeks. Plz contact by e-mail. Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 17:33, 23 June 2014 (UTC)

Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decitionsEdit

The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.

If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on change.org.

I'm notifying you because you participated in one of several relevant discussions. -Pete F (talk) 21:58, 20 August 2014 (UTC)

FDC Election QuestionEdit

Hi Ad!

Given the short time frame before the election starts I just wanted to let you know that a question was asked of all FDC candidates on the Candidate question page. If you want to respond you can do so by editing that section and adding your response after the = sign next to your name. The question section will remain open (both for questions and responses) throughout the election and is linked from the voting interface so that voters can read it if they wish.

Thanks again for choosing to run and for your willingness to serve the community. As always please let me or any member of the committee know if you have questions throughout the process.Jalexander--WMF 06:28, 2 May 2015 (UTC)

Hi Ad and thanks for your answer.
You got it right that I asked this question because it led to hot debates in the past (and I know the story behind it pretty well), and in particular growth rates were mentioned in all three appeals so far.
I would like to ask you to clarify a bit: do you think that growth rates should not be considered on its own at all, and other criteria such as effectiveness and impact should be considered instead? Thanks — NickK (talk) 14:37, 2 May 2015 (UTC)

Global user page migrationEdit

Hello Ad Huikeshoven. I deleted your local user pages on all wikis as you requested via Synchbot. Your global user page is now active on all wikis. You can see the full log on your archive page. :) —Pathoschild 17:14, 09 May 2015 (UTC)

VSNEdit

Doesn't look like the session overlaps with Lila's one. :) --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 05:51, 15 May 2015 (UTC)

Meta Collaboration of the MonthEdit

Technically, the collaboration doesn't start till June 1, and the "winner" has not yet been chosen, but you're welcome to start early :)--Pharos (talk) 17:47, 26 May 2015 (UTC)

Events (discuss) has been selected as the first-ever Meta Collaboration of the Month for June 2015! Join the fun there and in the discussions.--Pharos (talk) 18:29, 1 June 2015 (UTC)

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?Edit

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:23, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Last call for WMF grants feedback!Edit

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:08, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

Thank you for your translation help!Edit

Hi Ad, I just wanted to leave you a note saying "thank you" for your help translating the 2016 Strategy Consultation pages! I am so grateful for the energy you and others have put into helping the consultation reach speakers of as many languages as possible. (I've been handing out barnstars to people who helped with translation, but I notice that you prefer not to receive templates, so you get a hand-typed note instead. Please don't think that means I appreciate your help any less :) ) Kbrown (WMF) (talk) 17:51, 2 February 2016 (UTC)

You're welcome. Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 18:16, 2 February 2016 (UTC)

Harassment workshopEdit

Greetings! You are receiving this message because, at some point in the past, you have participated in a discussion around the topic of harassment. The Support and Safety team is holding a series of consultations gathering feedback on the best potential solutions to the problem. The next stage is a workshop where we hope to narrow the focus to individual actionable ideas and explore how to bring some of these ideas to life.

Best regards, the Support and Safety team via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:35, 17 February 2016 (UTC)

Ready for translation: VisualEditor News #1—2016Edit

Hi! This is an invitation to join translators working on the upcoming issue of the multilingual newsletter for the visual editor, which will be widely delivered as usual on Friday (end of the day in Europe). This time it features, among other things, updates about tables and about the single edit tab system (if you're looking for more translation opportunities, please consider the related overview). Thanks a lot for your support, as usual! Elitre (WMF), 21:37, 22 February 2016 (UTC)

PS: Here are some instructions. Please go to the translation page: your language should be available from the drop-down menu on the right. Once you've selected it, you'll see the document in English side by side with any translation work already done in your language. You can add new translations or modify existing ones. Please let us know about difficulties you experience with the translation memory system.

Current strategy discussionEdit

Dear Ad,

There's currently a discussion about developing a movement strategy, and we are updating links to strategic and priority documents in other languages and projects. I'm pinging you because you indicated interest in such things last year. SJ talk  05:57, 26 February 2016 (UTC)

Thanks for the invitation user:sj Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 10:57, 26 February 2016 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign on content curation & reviewEdit

I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:38, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Should FuzzyBot remove all potentially outdated translations?Edit

Hello, thanks for adding multiple new translations in your language here at Meta-Wiki in recent years. Please join the discussion with your opinion: Should FuzzyBot automatically remove all potentially outdated translations?. Nemo (talk) 12:00, 1 March 2016 (UTC)

Participate in the Inspire Campaign and help address harassment!Edit

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:46, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)

Ready for translation: VisualEditor News #2—2016Edit

Hi! This is an invitation to join translators working on the upcoming issue of the multilingual newsletter for the visual editor, which will be widely delivered this Sunday (end of the day in Europe). The "future changes" section is particularly interesting this time, and you're welcome to join and spread the word about the Community Taskforce. Thanks a lot for your support, as usual! Elitre (WMF), 10:53, 30 June 2016 (UTC)

PS: Here are some instructions. Please go to the translation page: your language should be available from the drop-down menu on the right. Once you've selected it, you'll see the document in English side by side with any translation work already done in your language. You can add new translations or modify existing ones. Please let us know about difficulties you experience with the translation memory system.

Ready for translation: VisualEditor News #3—2016Edit

Hi! This is an invitation to join translators working on the upcoming issue of the multilingual newsletter for the visual editor, which will be widely delivered this weekend. The goal this time is getting translations in over 20 languages, maybe even 25! Thanks a lot for your support, as usual! Elitre (WMF), --08:55, 12 October 2016 (UTC)

PS: Here are some instructions. Please go to the translation page: your language should be available from the drop-down menu on the right. Once you've selected it, you'll see the document in English side by side with any translation work already done in your language. You can add new translations or modify existing ones. Please let us know about difficulties you experience with the translation memory system.

Share your experience and feedback as a Wikimedian in this global surveyEdit

  1. This survey is primarily meant to get feedback on the Wikimedia Foundation's current work, not long-term strategy.
  2. Legal stuff: No purchase necessary. Must be the age of majority to participate. Sponsored by the Wikimedia Foundation located at 149 New Montgomery, San Francisco, CA, USA, 94105. Ends January 31, 2017. Void where prohibited. Click here for contest rules.

Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy processEdit

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. Message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

The Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people. As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here.

This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. You are warmly invited to join and make your voice heard.

The immediate goal is to have a strategic direction by Wikimania 2017 to help frame a discussion on how we work together toward that strategic direction.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Beginning with this message, monthly reviews of these updates will be sent to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a review of the updates that have been sent so far:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 20:24, 15 February 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy processEdit

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 19:43, 9 March 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)Edit

05:02, 18 March 2017 (UTC)

starfish and spiderEdit

Hi Ad! I have just learned the Starfish & the Spider is a book! I have to admit I didn't understand the reference (though I tried to guess what it meant). I have the book on its way to me now. Looking forward to reading it! KLove (WMF) (talk) 21:04, 21 April 2017 (UTC)

Ready for translation: Editing News #1—2017Edit

Hi! This is an invitation to join translators working on the upcoming issue of the multilingual newsletter for the visual editor, which will be widely delivered when it's end of Friday in Central Europe, and that features, among other things, rumours about a much-desired syntax highlighting tool... Thanks for your help with this, it feels great to be back. --Elitre (WMF), 17:27, 8 May 2017 (UTC)

PS: Here are some instructions. Please go to the translation page: your language should be available from the drop-down menu on the right. Once you've selected it, you'll see the document in English side by side with any translation work already done in your language. You can add new translations or modify existing ones. Please let us know about difficulties you experience with the translation memory system.

Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)Edit

19:30, 16 May 2017 (UTC)

Good luck!Edit

Hey Ad, I'd like to wish you all the best for the upcoming FDC election. It would be a pleasure and honor for me to serve with you. Warmly, --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 03:42, 29 May 2017 (UTC)

All the best for FDC election!Edit

Hi Ad! I see that you running as me for the FDC election. I'll be very happy to work with you on the commettee.

Presenting Community Engagement Insights survey report: Tuesday, October 10, 1600 UTCEdit

Hi Ad Huikeshoven,
I am reaching out to you because you signed up to receive updates about the Global Wikimedia survey.[1]

We will be hosting a public event online to present the data, a few examples on how teams will be using it for annual planning, and what are next steps for this project. The event will take place on Tuesday, October 10, at 9:00 am PST (1600 UTC), and the presentation will be in English. You can watch the livestream here, and ask question via IRC on #wikimedia-office.

If you are unable attend, you can also find the report on meta, and watch the recording of the event at a later time.

We hope to have you join us online! -- María Cruz 23:28, 2 October 2017 (UTC)

  1. Update your subscription to these messages by clicking here.

Ready for translation: Editing News #1—2018Edit

Hi! This is an invitation to join translators working on the upcoming issue of the multilingual newsletter for the visual editor, which will be widely delivered when it's end of Friday in Central Europe. Thanks in advance for your help with this: getting to interact with fellows so skilled like the translators are is among my favorite things about my job :) Best, Elitre (WMF) 10:29, 27 February 2018 (UTC)

PS: Here are some instructions. Please go to the translation page: your language should be available from the drop-down menu on the right. Once you've selected it, you'll see the document in English side by side with any translation work already done in your language. You can add new translations or modify existing ones. Please let us know about difficulties you experience with the translation memory system.

Translation: VisualEditor newsletter October 2018Edit

18:20, 24 October 2018 (UTC)

Re: Conversation Starter DriversEdit

Hi Ad. Thanks a lot, I didn't notice! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 21:05, 29 May 2019 (UTC)

Draft recommendationsEdit

Regarding the navbox, goings-on template, orphanage, etc. - I'm the only person responsible for Meta-related stuff. I'm working on this more than 10 hours per day. Please give me more time. If you've got any ideas, please write on my talk page. Thanks! :) SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 13:09, 10 August 2019 (UTC)

That's a very good idea, however, I'm not a staff member. I'm a contractor. My task is to get the job done. :) SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 13:33, 10 August 2019 (UTC)

Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/notesEdit

Hi! Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019 refers readers to Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/notes, but the latter is a red-link. Apparently the contents had to be removed because of privacy violations, but there was an expressed intention to replace them with an updated version later. As it has now been four weeks since the deletion (and eleven weeks since the notes were first posted), can you give us any idea when the updated version will be available? Thanks, Bovlb (talk) 03:09, 29 August 2019 (UTC)

Hi @Bovlb:, I have removed the reference to a non-existing page from Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019. The ASBS process this year was probably the last ASBS process. Please do read and review the recommendations from the Roles and Responsibilities working group in the Wikimedia 2030 process, and for example their Situla model. What R&R haven't written that they are thinking about restricting the role of the WMF to keep the servers running, own the trademarks and do some legal protection. The last information might make it easier to comprehend what they are recommending. Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 11:24, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for your response. I don't feel that I understand what is going on here, but I'll stop expecting to see an updated version of the notes. Cheers, Bovlb (talk) 15:05, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
Hi. The removal of that page was undertaken as a commitment had been made that an alternate page would be put in place. I don't find that the silent retraction of a commitment to be suitable. I would suggest that you look to meet your side of the commitment, otherwise the deletion discussion can be reopened, and the page reappear for that discussion. I am happy to make all correspondence public if that is preferred, or the commitment that was made can be met.  — billinghurst sDrewth 23:47, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
There will be notes published. That will take time. Republishing the notes might be considered as breach of ToU. Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 21:50, 1 September 2019 (UTC)

Community Insights SurveyEdit

RMaung (WMF) 14:31, 9 September 2019 (UTC)

Return to the user page of "Ad Huikeshoven".