Filing cabinet icon.svg
SpBot archives all sections tagged with {{Section resolved|1=~~~~}} after 14 days. For the archive overview, see User talk:I JethroBT (WMF)/Archive.

Could use some advice, pleaseEdit

Hi Jethro,

I really appreciate you reading this and any advice you have time to give. I had made some edits to a page "Hilary Rowland" that subsequently got it deleted, and I'm trying to fix that. Can you please check my draft and tell me what needs to be changed? I've added a lot of references from top newspapers, and edited as much as I know how to. Thank you for the advice! Here's the draft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Hilary_Rowland


Hi Jethro, I received your invite to the teahouse and wanted to say thank you and hello! Also, I submitted a page "Alston Ramsay" that has not been reviewed. I was curious if you knew any way or were able to speed up the review process, since I would love to get it up sooner. If you have any suggestions, they would be very appreciated! Here is the draft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Alston_Ramsay

Thank you very much for you help! I really appreciate it. Best wishes, Jenny

For article publicationEdit

Hello I want to publish a page of Indian youtuber and actor Murari Lal Pareek https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Murari_Lal_Pareek Please help me to publish it. Goutamrazpurohit (talk) 02:33, 16 June 2020 (UTC)

@Goutamrazpurohit: Hello, I'm not able to support article work in my capacity as a staff member. Please feel free to reach out to my volunteer account or consult with The Teahouse on en.wiki for guidance. Thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 07:14, 25 June 2020 (UTC)

Hello! Advice on understanding WikiEdit

Hi, I am here to ask from advice from an experienced editor like yourself. The reason I am here on wikipedia is due to a university project focused on understanding the heart of wikipedia, one I am not clear on but understand it is sentered on informing people around the world and the volunteer effort to make sure said knowledge is true. is there a way I can communicate with the many people in wikipedia and conversate about their own efforts and motivations. Thank you JethroBT, really appreciate your help.

@Reciprocal learning yute: Hi there-- this is my staff account for my work in Community Resources. If you have further questions around editing or the volunteer community who develops and maintains the content on Wikipedia projects, please contact me on my volunteer account: User:I JethroBT. The scope of your project is quite large, and I think it will be important to understand what language Wikipedia projects you'd like to work on. Please follow up with me on my volunteer page and I can provide some more specific guidance. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 22:57, 1 November 2020 (UTC)

Wikipedia 20/Events/Uttar PradeshEdit

Greeting of day,

 
commemorate Wikipedia 20 with Project UP

Wikipedia turns 20 on 15 January 2021. This Wikipedia 20 Meta-Wiki page is an initial framework the global Wikimedia community can use to coordinate around the 20th birthday of Wikipedia. We are celebrating how humans made Wikipedia what it is, and only humans can help sustain and grow it. We are celebrating 20 years human!

All you need to do is to sign in as the participant here and observe the celebrations of event Wikipedia 20th celebration the most innate way you feel. The decent stuff will receive a token of appreciation. Y'll are RSVP in the event Wikipedia 20th celebration the most innate way you feel and Wikipedia 20/Events/Uttar Pradesh

Profound Regards,

SHISHIR DUA (talk) 17:00, 11 January 2021 (UTC),

Organizer

Test ping sectionEdit

Hi VThamaini (WMF), this is a test message to show you how pings work. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 16:02, 20 January 2021 (UTC)


Test message for MercedesEdit

Hi MCasoValdes_(WMF), this is a test message to show you how pings work. :) I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 18:43, 2 February 2021 (UTC)

Response from UncleBash007Edit

Hi Jethro Thank you for the comments ad recommendations, i will make use of the pageviews tool during the project. .I will briefly introduce new users on missions and visions of wikipedia, I will then focus on training them on how to make edits, add references and photos to improve articles. .Hence, after training,I want the new users to be able to navigate and make necessary contributions to Wikipedia, and if possible get active users among them by engaging them in an editathon [[1]] .As most of the new users will be students, i will provide them with transport from their respective institutions to the training venue. I will also provide internet access such as data subscriptions and computers (rentals). There will also be certificates of participation to all volunteers Uncle Bash007 (talk) 23:21, 19 May 2021 (UTC)

@Uncle Bash007: Thanks for these clarifications, Bashir. I'll be adding these comments to the talk page of your grant proposal so our discussion is easy to follow. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 03:54, 20 May 2021 (UTC)

Alright, thanks too.. Have a nice day. Uncle Bash007 (talk) 09:37, 20 May 2021 (UTC)

Sunday July 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
The swan or the egg?

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, March, April, and June SWAN meetings, as well as last June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Movement Charter + Drafting Committee, WMF Board elections, Wikimania 2021, and Grants Regional Committees.

This month we are meeting on Sunday July 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and *Note that we have shifted the second call an hour earlier in UTC time due to popular demand and to accomodate daylight savings*.)--Pharos (talk) 15:04, 22 July 2021 (UTC)

An email sent since a weekEdit

Hello Chris,

I hope you are doing fine,

I did sent you an email regarding a rapof grant proposal on 25th of Augest.

Can you please check it?

Best wishes!--Michel Bakni (talk) 22:08, 1 September 2021 (UTC)

Sunday September 26 SWANniversary Party and All-Affiliates Strategic MeetingEdit

 
Celebrate our first anniversary with SWAN-shaped desserts!

Join the SWANniversary on September 26 as we mark the first year of the Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network!

We will have the regular All-Affiliates Strategic Meeting, to be followed by a SWANniversary Party in the after hours session, likely through spatialized chat on WorkAdventure.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, March, April, June, and July SWAN meetings, as well as last June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, we'll look together at strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Movement Charter + Drafting Committee, WMF Board elections, Wikimania 2021, and Grants Regional Committees.

This month we are meeting on Sunday September 26, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and .)--Pharos (talk) 18:08, 22 September 2021 (UTC)

test to notify Jacqueline!Edit

@JChen (WMF) this is a test to notify you! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 03:32, 1 October 2021 (UTC)

Cannot log into accountEdit

Hello, I changed phones and now i cant log into my account. I think it is using an old (deactivated) email address, so I cant get a link to reset my password. Wikipedia says to contact an Administrator, but theres no email address or anything like that. Is this the way to do so? How do I fix this? Thanks! — Preceding unsigned comment added by 2603:8001:bc00:23e:4995:67f4:f9df:b037 (talk) 15:10, 3 October 2021 (UTC)

Sunday October 31 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
A swan reflects.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, March, April, and June, July, and September SWAN meetings, as well as last June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Movement Charter Drafting Committee Set Up Process, Next Steps for Brand Work, 2021, Wikipedia Asian Month 2021, and other ongoing activities.

This month we are meeting on Sunday October 31, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and *Note that we have shifted the second call a half-hour later in UTC time due to WikidataCon*.)--Pharos (talk) 01:40, 29 October 2021 (UTC)

Category:Conference GrantsEdit

Hello, it seems to me that this category is redundant to its parent, Category:Conference & Event Grants, considering that both appear to be relating to Grants:Conference. If so, I suggest redirecting it there to avoid confusion. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
17:46, 1 November 2021 (UTC)

@1234qwer1234qwer4: Agreed, thanks for noting this. It is indeed redundant. I'll redirect it to Conference & Event Grants category, which the official name of the funding program. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:53, 1 November 2021 (UTC)
Great, thanks! ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
17:57, 1 November 2021 (UTC)
@1234qwer1234qwer4: OK, think we're all set now. Thankfully it was just a few odd pages and templates. :) I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:57, 1 November 2021 (UTC)
Sorry for bothering you again; I've now also found Category:Wikimania 2021 Scholarship funded and Category:Wikimania 2021/Scholarship applications/Funded. Looking at the other subcategories of Category:Wikimania 2021/Scholarship applications, it seems that the latter format would be preferred. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
18:38, 1 November 2021 (UTC)
@1234qwer1234qwer4: It looks like that category was created by Em-mustapha separate from the Events team, and may have some other utility or purpose that I'm not aware of. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 18:55, 1 November 2021 (UTC)
Oh! @I JethroBT (WMF), I saw the category being used in Wikimania scholarship grant proposals and it wasn't created, so that's why I created it. I'm sorry for duplicating. Em-mustapha talk 08:14, 2 November 2021 (UTC)
I assume they can be merged then? ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk)
13:25, 2 November 2021 (UTC)

Rapid grants numbersEdit

Hi, I've updated a couple of pages (e.g. Grants:Project/Rapid/Learn) based on your recent edit to Grants:Project/Rapid, aiming to avoid confusion with conflicting numbers on different pages. I hope that's appropriate and I've not misunderstood anything, so please revert if I've missed the mark. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 01:37, 18 November 2021 (UTC)

@Evolution and evolvability: Thanks, these changes are helpful, and I think they will help reduce confusion for the time being. We'll eventually be moving to deprecating these pages in the next several months though since they will refer to a program we no longer maintain and also because the long list of funding guidelines no longer applies. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 02:15, 18 November 2021 (UTC)
For clarity, we'll be directing folks to the Rapid Fund program once the new application process is ready for that program. For several reasons, our funding criteria are much more flexible than before, and we are generally able to support a broader set of expenses. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 02:18, 18 November 2021 (UTC)

Use caseEdit

Hello I JethroBT. I though it may be interesting for you to briefly check how I bring back your Grant calls:

  • Summary Template:Grants_table brings selected information from your Grants pages to my community in order to raise awareness locally and sparkles grant requests.
  • Lingualibre:Roles & Lingualibre:Workshops/Events (stub) our young wiki community attempts to define roles and possibles avenues of actions. So volunteer quickly "click" with a role and a clear path to action.

I see those 3 pages as a complementary group to ease the path and call for action beyond local edits. Potentially funded by WMF grants, if informed folks then follow the lead and come to you. Yug (talk) 21:02, 22 November 2021 (UTC)

@Yug: Thanks for sharing these with me, this is a really nice overview and I think the way it is presented along side these uses cases is very useful. I'd like to bring these resources to the attention of the rest of our team as well. A few corrections for clarity:
lingualibre:Template:Grants_table
  • Range budgets should always be in USD for accuracy-- I see some of these are listed in EUR or just $ which can be ambiguous.
  • WMF Grants:Project > R&D - The Research aspect of this funding program is open, but the Technology part is not.
  • Rapid grant (2022) should be Rapid Fund (2022), as we are deliberately moving away from using the terms grant or grants to describe these programs. (The main rationale is because it does not translate well to many language communities we work in.)
  • General Support Fund range budget is listed as 10K - 300K USD -- this is an average range, but does not denote a hard limit, and there is no defined limit on this funding program at this time. We will definitely be funding some organizations more than 300K USD through this program.
Thanks again for your work here, and I hope we will receive some more LinguaLibre-related proposals soon! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 03:28, 23 November 2021 (UTC)
Thank for this review, I took note !
  • Changed € ⇒ EUR and $ ⇒ USD, etc. The EUR row is the Wikimedia France's Rapid fund program, values are in EUR. LinguaLibre is still very much driven by WMFR and French contributors. We are pushing to move away from that centralized legacy and increase community resilience.
  • Other changes: done.
  • Following our discussion, the 3 former Grants rows will be removed soon.
This table is a work in progress, preparing future LL campaigns yes (2022!). Yug (talk) 08:14, 23 November 2021 (UTC)

Sunday November 28 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Chart a new course on the swan ferry.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

We'll focus on strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Hubs+Hubs Workshop, Movement Charter+Drafting Committee, WMDE's 'Future of Wikimedia Governance' proposal, Wikipedia Asian Month 2021, and other ongoing activities.

This month we are meeting on Sunday November 28, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and , note that some areas recently experienced daylight savings time changes).--Pharos (talk) 15:52, 25 November 2021 (UTC)

LinguaLibre CampaignEdit

Hello I JethroBT,
On LinguaLibre we are starting to design a broad 6 months long PR effort campaign. I wonder if such overall PR campaign based on mailing to popular languages and tech blogs/newsrooms, creation of base PR materials followed by translations, and writing of ~8 needed downstream grant requests could itself be funded by some 50k$ Grant fund ?

More that for an answer, i am coming to your talkpage for guidance. Where should I discuss or submit such overall transversal campaign ? I will move this discussion there. Yug (talk) 00:16, 27 November 2021 (UTC)

@Yug: Thanks for sharing these ideas with me to support LinguaLibre. Because this is a complex set of related but separate proposals, my suggestion for next steps would be to have the applying individuals or organizations who are proposing these projects to contact the Regional Program officer over e-mail depending on where they are physically based. You can find more information about each funding region here, and a listing of our team is provided here. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 15:03, 27 November 2021 (UTC)
Received, thank you Jethro for orienting me. I will look into this avenue. I also moved the content above elsewhere to decluster your talkpage and plan calmly. Yug (talk) 10:00, 28 November 2021 (UTC)
As a follow up anecdote, the volunteer-based LL PR campaign designed and lead by Marreromarco, which my overall PR+tech funding requests plan aimed to secure and solidify, has just been called off. Marreromarco has assessed the software side to be too basic to satisfy non-wikimedian public, and therefore, not worth his ambitious volunteer-powered PR campaign. In our case, tech and PR goes together. I'm still drafting a draft proposal for Marti. Yug (talk) 11:48, 29 November 2021 (UTC)