The Wikimedia Community would define roles and governance principles in the Wikimedia Movement Charter
The Movement Charter will be a document defining roles and responsibilities for all the members and entities of the Wikimedia Movement, incl. laying out a new Global Council for movement governance. The Movement Charter is a Movement Strategy priority. A broad ratification process is expected for its adoption.
||According to the strategy recommendations, the Movement Charter would:
- Lay the values, principles and policy basis for Movement structures, including the roles and responsibilities of the Global Council, regional and thematic hubs, as well as other existing and new entities and decision-making bodies,
- Set requirements and criteria for decisions and processes that are Movement-wide to be legitimate and trusted by all stakeholders, e.g. for
- Maintaining safe collaborative environments,
- Ensuring Movement-wide revenue generation and distribution,
- Giving a common direction on how resources should be allocated with appropriate accountability mechanisms.
- Defining how communities work together and are accountable to each other.
- Setting expectations for participation and the rights of participants.
Enforcing Movement organizations' compliance with the Charter will be the responsibility of the Global Council.
According to ongoing conversations, the Movement Charter will have 3 key steps:
The development of the Charter will be undertaken by a group of dedicated people from the movement. It will entail review of existing Movement structures, learning from similar initiatives, and integration of relevant Movement Strategy recommendations. Development of the Charter will happen in consultation with communities, organizations and subject matter experts.
May to July
Setting up the support systems and the Drafting Group
August 2021 to
Drafting of the Charter content in consultation with communities
January to March
Ratification process for the Movement Charter
March to April
Conversations regarding the set up of the Global Council
April to June
General set up and selection process of Global Council