The Movement Charter is a proposed document to define roles and responsibilities for all the members and entities of the Wikimedia movement, including to lay out a new Global Council for movement governance.
- Lay the values, principles and policy basis for Movement structures, including the roles and responsibilities of the Global Council, regional and thematic hubs, as well as other existing and new entities and decision-making bodies,
- Set requirements and criteria for decisions and processes that are Movement-wide to be legitimate and trusted by all stakeholders, e.g. for:
- Maintaining safe collaborative environments,
- Ensuring Movement-wide revenue generation and distribution,
- Giving a common direction on how resources should be allocated with appropriate accountability mechanisms.
- Defining how communities work together and are accountable to each other.
- Setting expectations for participation and the rights of participants.
This is a dynamic timeline. Although it broadly shows the steps involved in creating the Movement Charter, dates may be changed later on. Those changes will be potentially made to avoid rushing the process, especially when consulting with the community and other stakeholders, which is hard to limit within a fixed timeframe.
|November 2021 – January 2022||Setting up the support systems and internal processes of the Drafting Group |
Research and information-gathering
|February – October 2022||Research and information-gathering |
Creating the initial draft of the Charter content in conversation with all stakeholders
|November 2022||First batch of the Movement Charter draft chapters (Preamble, Values & Principles, and Roles & Responsibilities statement of intent) published|
|November 2022 – January 2023||Community consultation on the first batch of the Movement Charter draft chapters|
|February – March 2023||Reflecting upon feedback and revising of the first batch of the draft chapters|
|April 2023||Community consultation on the Movement Charter ratification methodology proposal|
|April – July 2023||Drafting the second batch of Movement Charter draft chapters|
|July 2023||Second batch of the Movement Charter draft chapters (Hubs, Global Council, Roles & Responsibilities and Glossary) published|
|July – September 2023||Community consultation on the second batch of the Movement Charter draft chapters|
|September – December 2023||MCDC consultations at local events|
|November 2023 – March 2024||Review of feedback and second iteration drafting of full Movement Charter|
|April 2024||First version of the full Movement Charter published|
|April 2024||Community consultation of the full charter draft|
|Extra cycles: If all is well, we can move to ratification. If not, there will be another 3 month cycle for revising the text, 2 months for review, and so on.|
|June 2024||Ratification process for the Movement Charter|