THOMAS SHAFEE




2016 Community Wishlist SurveyEdit

Hi,

You’re getting this message because you participated in the 2015 Community Wishlist Survey and we want to make sure you don't miss it this year – or at least can make the conscious choice to ignore if it you want to. The 2015 survey decided what the Community Tech team should work on during 2016. It was also the focus of Wikimedia hackathons and work by other developers. You can see the status of wishes from the 2015 wishlist at 2015 Community Wishlist Survey/Results.

The 2016 Community Wishlist Survey is now open for wishes. You can create proposals until November 20. You will be able to vote on which wishes you think are best or most important between November 28 and December 12. /Johan (WMF) (talk) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:17, 14 November 2016 (UTC)

The Community Wishlist SurveyEdit

Hi,

You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.

You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:25, 30 October 2018 (UTC)

Asking for a letter of support to create a research unit in TunisiaEdit

Dear Sir,

I thank you for your efforts. We are managing to create a research unit called "Data Engineering and Semantics" in the University of Sfax, Tunisia. The purpose of this research unit is to gather Wikiresearchers from University of Sfax into a recognized research structure and have funding from Tunisian Ministry of Higher Education. In order to do that, we need to have a letter of support from institutions all over the world. I ask if you or the director of your research department can write a letter of support for us so that we can have our application approved. This will be acknowledged. --Csisc (talk) 12:58, 22 October 2019 (UTC)

Re: Wikimedian in residence datesEdit

There is no end date. Federico Leva (BEIC) (talk) 07:58, 27 October 2019 (UTC)

@Federico Leva (BEIC): Thanks! I thought that was the case, but wanted to just check in case. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 08:02, 27 October 2019 (UTC)

Inclusion in or near WIR table without WD entry?Edit

Dear Evolution and evolvability,

Can i be included somewhere near the table https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedian_in_residence/table without WD entry? Or here? I have to show my image donors on Wikimedia Commons that it is possible to donate to Wikimedia without an obligation to be included in Wikidata, so i am my own example. Furthermore, my inclusion in Dutch databases has caused erroneous fines by mistaken identity etcetera and made me wary, so i had two reasons for non-inclusion in WD. Living person databases can be dangerous and facilitated mass murder in World War II in the Netherlands.

  • However, i would like to be a member here of the WIR family, as i was before the query replaced the classic table, is that feasible?

There might be more WIRs with this same opt-out complication? Thank you, Hansmuller (talk) 10:56, 16 November 2020 (UTC)

@Hansmuller: No problem at all. Wikimedian_in_residence/table is actually structured as a normal table, so you can add in a manual row in wikimarkup if that's your preference. Example:
{{WiR table start}}
{{WiR table row|Q56650907}}
{{WiR table row|Q59832181}}
|-
|username (or anonymous if you want to omit your username) || Organisation || URL Link to work || Location (city or country) || Start date || End date 
{{WiR table row|Q25212744}}
{{WiR table end}}
Alternatively, it's also possible to have a wikidata item not linked to a real world identity if that is a useful alternative. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 11:43, 16 November 2020 (UTC)

Missing from WiR tables...Edit

...not sure what I did wrong. Could you check? Zblace (talk) 10:44, 17 November 2020 (UTC)

@Zblace: Aha, you entered the qualifiers as references. I've fixed so it should display correctly now (diff). T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 06:10, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
@Evolution and evolvability: thank you. Do you know why it does not show up on timeline with yellow strip? (added end of period) Zblace (talk) 07:30, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
@Zblace: The timeline tool is really great, but has the current limitation that it can't show events that don't have an end time. @Hardwigg: do you know whether it'd be possible for events with no end time, to include bars that continue to the current date (with a gradient fadeout for the last 40px)? T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 00:53, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
@Evolution and evolvability: @Zblace: Hello again! I just realized I never answered your last question from last year; sorry about that! The gradient would require some code changes, but here is the timeline with events without an endpoint continuing to today (and sparql query). Hope that helps! Hardwigg (talk) 08:18, 21 November 2020 (UTC)
Thank you both! Zblace (talk) 08:29, 21 November 2020 (UTC)
Excellent, I've updated the image link on the Wikimedian_in_residence page's image. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 09:34, 21 November 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021: InvitationEdit

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

18:26, 20 November 2020 (UTC)

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 01:27, 27 November 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021Edit

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

16:08, 11 December 2020 (UTC)

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 14:52, 4 January 2021 (UTC)

Submit Wikigames (2) now or not?Edit

Well, currently only I have such an idea. As a PCR fan, I would love to see a possible of submitting this proposal for boards review. This proposal has supported by users from all 6 continents, and only have some Oppose concerns from Asia and Europe, to which their comments are answered to be resolveable, and with hoping of the real-free game guides, and especially excluding of many Wikipedias on this topic, I hope that the submitting-to-board day of it can be as soon as possible. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 02:06, 5 January 2021 (UTC)

Template:User info brokenEdit

Hi, your edit on Template:User info make this template broken and content not visible, please fix it soon, thanks. --Hidayatsrf (talk) 05:45, 3 February 2021 (UTC)

I've reverted some edits, since a very big number of user presentations were broken. Consider copying and pasting the template and CSS to a test template and test any changes you make to templates that are this widely used. /Julle (talk) 08:22, 3 February 2021 (UTC)
@Hidayatsrf and Julle: Thanks, you're right. I should have implemented it differently. It needed Template:user info/styles.css and Template:user info/en to be updated simultaneously, but the /en page can only be updated by an admin. I've now updated it in a safer way so that it'll work even without the need for /en (or other language /xyz pages) being updated. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 08:56, 3 February 2021 (UTC)

Sunday February 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
We are a mosiac.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, and January SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday February 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To help set priorities for the SWAN agenda, and also to help manage which global conversations should be a focus in general, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this SWAN priorities form.

Possible topics include Community Board seats, Interim Global Council, Strategy prioritization follow-up events, Branding, Universal Code of Conduct, Grant strategy, and WMF CEO search. That is a lot of things, which are most important to cover in our upcoming SWAN meeting?

Following the regular call, in SWAN after hours: Wikimedia Meet Jitsi social event with brainstorming for possible Nano Charter ideas, plus any other topics.

--Pharos (talk) 17:54, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

@Pharos: How do I add an additional user to receive these notifications (User:Jacknunn)? T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 06:10, 19 February 2021 (UTC)

Template:User infoEdit

Hi, changes you made to template are not suitable for mobile. Ornek11222talk 18:47, 22 February 2021 (UTC)

@Ornek11222: Could you say which part isn't suitable for mobile? When I check it on my android phone, all of the aspects render fine, but I might be missing something! E.g. I'm using the template:User info/sandbox on my userpage. Any info appreciated for improving it! T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 02:33, 23 February 2021 (UTC)
@Ornek11222: If you have a moment, I'd love to know the problem you observed with {{user info}}. Was it misformatting in some way or was there a transaltion issue? I've not seen anything in my test cases, but that might have been an English language issue. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 04:54, 1 March 2021 (UTC)

WikidataREdit

Thank for your work on WikidataR. Currently it is not working but I saw on the project repository that your working on it. Looking forward! Could you notify when I should give a try? Do you think that the write functions could be combined with <https://cran.r-project.org/package=RefManageR>?

Meskalam (talk) 18:46, 2 March 2021 (UTC)

@Meskalam: Will do! The version on CRAN should be stable (currently version 1.0.0 which is cannot write to wikidata). I'm looking to update to version 2.1.0 from my working version on github this week once I've fixed up the last parts of the packaging. It should defenintly be possible to combine with RefManageR, and would be a great extension/replacement of the old SourceMD tool. There's actually a few members of the H-GAPS User Group looking to do the same thing for moving info from Zotero to Wikidata. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 23:07, 2 March 2021 (UTC)