Universal Code of Conduct/Discussions
This page lists current, past, and future discussions related to the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). If there are relevant discussions that are not on this list, please add them! The timeline provides an overview of the UCoC process.
As part of Phase 2 of the process, there are multiple consultations with volunteers. The community consultations will inform the initial enforcement proposal draft and the draft before it is finalized.
Here is what is currently happening with the UCoC project:
- Consultation of Wikimedia communities: The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking input from the global communities about the application of the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). Individual communities are invited to open a discussion in that project's language or context. This comment period is planned to last from 5 April to 5 May 2021.
- Phase 2 drafting committee applications: Wikimedians are invited to apply for the Phase 2 drafting committee. Applications are open until 19 April 2021.
- Affiliate consultations: Wikimedia Affiliates are invited to provide their perspective about UCoC enforcement.
- Functionaries consultation: A Functionaries Meeting took place from 10–11 April 2021.
- The UCoC team published an April 2021 project update on Diff.
Phase 2 of the UCoC project began with local language consultations. These were facilitated discussions with target language communities in discussion channels and platforms frequented by each of those communities. A comprehensive summary of these consultations was released in April 2021.
As our movement grows, community voices are needed to help shape the pathways to enforcing the UCoC that address the diverse needs of individual communities. The project team encourages communities to regularly share their experiences, ideas, and learnings with behavioral policies here on Meta, in consultations and discussions, or via email.
Discussions regarding the UCoC continue to take place on Meta-Wiki:
- UCoC Phase 2 Meta-Wiki discussion: This is the Meta-Wiki portion of the April–May 2021 consultation of Wikimedia communities.
- Universal Code of Conduct related: This discussion page is used for general discussion on the UCoC.
- Universal Code of Conduct policy text related: This discussion page involves discussion of the Board-ratified text. It was previously used for feedback on the UCoC draft text (see 2020 archives).
Phase 2 local language consultationsEdit
Local language consultations for Phase 2 of the UCoC project were held from late January to early March 2021. They discussed how to enforce the UCoC with 11 target language communities in discussion channels and platforms frequented by each of those communities. (Please refer to the FAQ for how the target language communities were selected.) The discussions were facilitated by Foundation contractors. The findings of individual language outreach are at:
- Main summary
- Arabic (Arabic discussion)
- Bangla + Assamese + Bishnupriya (Bangla discussion)
- Wikimedia Commons (Wikimedia Commons discussion)
- Korean (Korean discussion)
- Igbo + Hausa + Twi
- Indonesian (Indonesian discussion)
- Italian (Italian discussion)
- Maithili + Newari + Bhojpuri + Doteli
- Malay (Malay discussion)
- Nepali (Nepali discussion)
- Polish (Polish discussion)
- Wikidata (Wikidata discussion)
- Yoruba (Yoruba discussion)
Phase 2 community discussionsEdit
For community discussions starting from April 2021, please look here.
- Dutch volunteer/community organized discussion
- February–March 2021 French volunteer/community organized discussion
- February 2021 German community survey
Phase 1 local language consultationsEdit
The initial 2020 consultations lasted 3 months and involved 19 language communities. They sought to better understand the working atmosphere of communities across the Wikimedia movement.
- Arabic (discussion)
- Japanese (discussion)
- Kannada + Tulu
- Russian, Bashkir, and Tatar (Russian discussion)
- Spanish (discussion)
- Tamil and Marathi
Phase 1 community discussionsEdit
Please add any missing links to past discussions at individual Wikimedia projects related to the UCoC.
- Dutch Wikipedia
- English Wikipedia
- June 2019 discussion, strong opposition to WMF-imposed UCoC
- 2020 English Wikipedia Arbitration Committee Elections: Each candidate provided feedback on the UCoC in their answers to questions.
- May 2020 English Wikipedia discussion held after the Board of Trustees community health statement
- 2020 English Wikipedia Anti-harassment request for comment
- on the relationship with T&S:
- Editors strongly feel that en-wiki issues should be handled "in-house", and only matters that affect the real world (Q2, Q3) should be passed to T&S. A better/improved dialogue between ArbCom and the WMF is also desired, with the Foundation and T&S passing along en-wiki-specific information to ArbCom to handle.
- There was a desire from some editors, expressed in this section as well in previous sections, for the WMF to hire/find/create resources and training for mediation and dispute resolution, which would hopefully mitigate some of the most prevalent civility/harassment issues present on Wikipedia.
- September 2020 English Wikipedia discussion
- Universal Code of Conduct/Community feedback at conferences
- Talk:Universal Code of Conduct/Draft proposal from User:Pine
- Talk:Universal Code of Conduct/Drafting committee
- IRC office hours led by Maggie Dennis
- mailing list archives for Wikimedia-l.