Wikispore is a proposal for a new project to develop test wikis to fill out the rest of the reference shelf with new genres of free knowledge. It would differ from Wikimedia Incubator in that it would support experimentation and diversification in new formats, as well as new languages. It is expected to function similarly to the Community Wishlist Survey in that 10 test wikis would be selected each year for interim development, and, after a maturation phase, perhaps one or two a year might "graduate" to full sister project.
The idea was inspired by a recurring theme that came up at the New York City Wiknic / Strategy Salon, that expanding partnerships and diversity requires greater flexibility with the starting of new "spore" mini-projects to support new directions for the movement.
Development wiki: https://wikispore.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page
Technical information: wikitech:Nova Resource:Wikispore
|This page is a proposal for a new Wikimedia Foundation Sister Project.|
|What is the proposed name for the project?||Wikispore|
|Proposed project tagline||Free wiki germination|
What is the project purpose? What will be its scope? How would it benefit to be part of Wikimedia?
|A well-tended wiki farm for the exploration of new genres of free knowledge|
|How many wikis?
Will there be many language versions or just on one multilingual wiki?
|Series of multlingual wikis|
|How many languages?
Is the project going to be in one language or in many?
|Proposed project website address||wikispore.org|
|Proposed logo for the project||
If the project requires any new features that the MediaWiki software currently doesn't have, please describe in detail. Are additional MediaWiki extensions needed for the project?
|To be determined|
These seem like the sort of projects which Wikispore could support:
- Wikibase instances
- Wikidata Lexeme project
- many other instances in the Wikidata network
- existing complementary projects
- OpenStreetMap, en:OpenStreetMap
- wikiHow, en:wikiHow
- any library service
- new proposed projects
- Additional discussion at the talkpage
- Support as initial proposer.--Pharos (talk) 19:22, 12 August 2019 (UTC)
- Strongest possible Support! –SJ talk 08:51, 13 August 2019 (UTC)
- Support, both hands! -Geraki TL 13:03, 13 August 2019 (UTC)
- Support, VIGNERON * discut. 13:18, 14 August 2019 (UTC)
- Support Tgr (talk) 14:35, 18 August 2019 (UTC)
- Support I think we need to start experimenting again. --Sannita - not just another it.wiki sysop 14:14, 21 August 2019 (UTC)
- Support We have an experimentation space for new languages of Wikipedias, but we need an experimentation space for various projects of other types. In Wikidata there will be countless variations on Wikibase instances, and for other sorts of projects we have many other odd pending proposals. Right now WikiCite and Structured Data on Commons seem like the most developed Wikibase'd projects and WikiJournal seems like the most developed non-Wikibase project which needs incubation. Blue Rasberry (talk) 08:29, 22 August 2019 (UTC)
- Support Rosiestep (talk) 20:16, 22 August 2019 (UTC)
- Support A fascinating idea if you think about it... Arep Ticous 17:34, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
- Support So this would be a place where new wikis could be created. I like it. SelfieCity (talk) 18:28, 31 August 2019 (UTC)
- Support This would likely be helpful in the creation and development of WikiLaw (3). –MJL ‐Talk‐☖ 06:14, 1 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support seems a very logical partner system to sit alongside the incubator. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 02:54, 4 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support It would help a lot to have this kind of platform for testing new projects, which means more ideas become projects.
- Support Battleofalma (talk) 11:21, 26 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support. Ivanhercaz (talk) 01:54, 5 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 03:24, 8 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support I was skeptical, but Pharos convinced me this is valuable. stephen (talk) 20:46, 9 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Ragesoss (talk) 20:48, 9 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support More wikis! MahmoudHashemi (talk) 20:49, 9 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Reify-tech (talk) 20:57, 9 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support, probably. Incubator handles languages, but overall new project prototyping definitely merits a platform for investigation and support. I don't know if we have the technical basis here to pull it off at this stage, but perhaps that is part of what simply requires further investigation. -— Isarra ༆ 21:18, 9 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Emjackson42 (talk) 14:48, 2 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support ❀BlaueBlüte 💬 01:44, 9 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support ChristianSW (talk) 07:48, 31 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support (in my hat as a volunteer..) Shani Evenstein. 22:03, 2 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support Rajeeb (talk!) 14:53, 6 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support A great idea overall. InvalidOS (talk) 17:38, 7 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support Interesting concept.--A12n (talk) 17:12, 9 February 2020 (UTC)