Hello, I am Samuel Klein, wikipedian, linguaphile, and inclusionist. I am currently working on a national digital library, and at a "purpose of the Internet" research group. I recently directed outreach and community content for a global education project. I am a trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Currently working on Matchery to help groups improving the open Internet find legal help in all jurisdictions. My writing background consists of a few journals and newsletters, doggerel on the back of exams, broadsheets on telephone poles, philosophical essays, and marked-up drafts of [others'] texts in red and blue. My academic background includes physics, mathematics, algorithms and language. In the Wikiverse: you can find me on the English Wikipedia, and occasionally on Wikibooks, Wiktionary (see also mod-wiktionary), the OLPC wiki, and some smaller language wikis: Nahuatl and Swahili. Currently taking collab notes on Hypothesis XXX - synchrony across annotation systems for all sorts of knowledge (e.g., via hypothes.is and open annotation).
- Recent peering: User:Sj/peer
- To contact me: My talkpage · meta.sj <at> gmail · +1 617 529 4266 · metasj (Skype)
Thoughts on Current movement roles / fundraising / Chapter-WMF discussions
Wikipedia Zero | International grantmaking and US Executive Order 13224
If you need assistance: I also help monitor edits to smaller projects. Please leave me a message or request.
17 new pages on meta:
- 21:34, 6 May 2016 Wikimedistas de Ecuador/Programa educativo (hist) [572 bytes] Edjoerv (talk | contribs)
- 20:37, 6 May 2016 Wikimedia Blog/Drafts/“It pays itself back in dividends”: NASA and MediaWiki, a natural pairing (hist) [10,654 bytes] ASherman (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 17:51, 6 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/19/uk (hist) [7,118 bytes] Ата (talk | contribs)
- 17:44, 6 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/20 (hist) [3,632 bytes] Trizek (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 14:51, 6 May 2016 Wikipedia to the Moon/FAQ/bg (hist) [12,220 bytes] Ket (talk | contribs)
- 14:38, 6 May 2016 WikiConvention francophone/2016/Programme/Edit-a-Thon paralympique (hist) [2,041 bytes] GastelEtzwane (talk | contribs)
- 12:52, 6 May 2016 Wikimedia Highlights, April 2016 (hist) [5,428 bytes] ASherman (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 11:19, 6 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/19/fi (hist) [5,051 bytes] Nikerabbit (talk | contribs)
- 08:46, 6 May 2016 Wikimedia Finno-Ugric Collaboration (hist) [3,263 bytes] Kaarel Vaidla (WM EE) (talk | contribs)
- 08:14, 6 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/19/zh (hist) [4,929 bytes] Liuxinyu970226 (talk | contribs)
- 00:48, 6 May 2016 List of Wikipedias/pt (hist) [6,279 bytes] Önni (talk | contribs)
- 22:30, 5 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/19/nb (hist) [5,104 bytes] Telaneo (talk | contribs)
- 21:56, 5 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/19/he (hist) [5,789 bytes] IKhitron (talk | contribs)
- 21:52, 5 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/19/ksh (hist) [7,428 bytes] Purodha (talk | contribs)
- 21:09, 5 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/19/es (hist) [5,283 bytes] Ks-M9 (talk | contribs)
- 21:00, 5 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/19/fr (hist) [4,983 bytes] Trizek (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 20:58, 5 May 2016 Tech/News/2016/19/en (hist) [4,954 bytes] FuzzyBot (talk | contribs)
News: Managing translations revisited. Long-term strategy for Wikimedia projects is being discussed and planned with some vigor | How Wikipedia Works, a book on using Wikipedia from nostarch press (with cameos by the sister projects) | LSS revived! | coralline ideas for generalized message-distribution : a way around the 100-mailing-list coordination problem. | Pimp your edits! | Mailing lists/cleanup
Interesting: Modern translation and coordination @ the Embassy, pages linked from Requests. A new Stewards noticeboard. A new Main page? Level activity across request types, improve feedback for uses of Special:CentralAuth, improve [[Help:]] pages about cross-wiki special pages/tools. New contributor objections
- FDC complaint mid-2015 without clear timeline for response?
Fun: SJ Klein with Wikipedian Guy, reprises of old Wikimedia Quarto sidefeatures... like interviews with Ward Cunningham and Larry Lessig.
Pressworthy pages : User:Sj/PR
Village Pumps: ar, da, de, eo, es, fr, it, ja, nl, sv, zh, bab
Top of the desk. Active projects (see also Project map) | Wikiproject group, Digitizing and Translation with MW... Digest / on en: | Annonces | MP
elian excellence: Incoming tech requests | Wikipedia languages
meta-slimming: Historical Wikipedia pages | statistics, on en:
- old pages to slim: The importance of being Wikipedia, ...
- older budget thoughts : Long term plans
- communication models : the Why Give blog
- Mania over time
- Deleted pages to watch : <empty>
WMF events future: (see Board agenda; other agenda; &c. Last 2 quarters' planning unexpectedly light; energy drawn into private channels)
WMF events past: WMF.org chat, #wm, Sat July 24 | Vereins-Chat, #wm.de, Fri July 30 | Wikimania, August 2005
WM News, Sept 10+. | W-News | M:HP | Babel/Babylon
21 fahrplan, Dec 26-28
The Dao of Wiki * Quirks of int'l grantmaking
Resolved, that ... WMPH - why did these stop being shared on Meta? Cross-wiki links needed.
I am thinking of ways to
- improve key sites: Wikimedia website(Main, Fundraising, GFDL), http://www.wikimedia.org redirection page
- improve key meta pages: Goings-on(t), Meta:Babel(t, Interorg relations.)
- move meta-discussions to meta:, from en: and other subprojects.
- improve community:
- better multilingualism / translation across WM,
- nuanced interactions with new users, playful trolls, nascent vandals, non-editor readers; article validation
- meshed ideas, empirics, and [pre]conceived notions relating to community infrastruture, vision-building, interaction, insight and insanity, ...
- unify discussion: power structures within WM and across WP-instances (covering Ver ein/ Wreader and es: split issues as well as the mundane)
- help propose new projects: Wikifamily, Wikinews, Pa/Pr/Fu, Media, Prufing, Review...
- design a few feature improvements
- help people who reuse wikimedia content recognize the projects the content came from
- help others and future selves see what I see
- share test writing and wiki work
Topics belonging uniquely here:
+ Developer committee, Finance committee, Editor committee, PR committee -- for helping to coordinate and divide labor in those key areas.
+ Translation crew for discussing and processing multilingual issues; translation, communication, official languages, &c.
+ Press Corps for handling press IDs, contacting major events, getting exclusive interviews and photoshoots. See also Wikews.
+ Other groups to plan for Grants, Collateral, Legal issues, Outreach/User groups, Publicity, Print issues, Partnerships.
+ WM-wide mesh ('organization chart', 'project map', 'topic map', 'discussion counter', 'Wikipedia languages')
+ My MediaWiki feature requests
+ Division of labor requests
+ (c): Jamesday on #wp, en:Wikipedia:Copyright...
+ Chapters: Verein, Association, eo chapter in France...
+ New pages, Article validation, villi...
(general note : soughameter optional)