Hello, I am Samuel Klein, wikipedian, linguaphile, and inclusionist. I am currently working on a national digital library, and at a "purpose of the Internet" research group. I recently directed outreach and community content for a global education project. I am a trustee of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Currently working on Matchery to help groups improving the open Internet find legal help in all jurisdictions. My writing background consists of a few journals and newsletters, doggerel on the back of exams, broadsheets on telephone poles, philosophical essays, and marked-up drafts of [others'] texts in red and blue. My academic background includes physics, mathematics, algorithms and language. In the Wikiverse: you can find me on the English Wikipedia, and occasionally on Wikibooks, Wiktionary (see also mod-wiktionary), the OLPC wiki, and some smaller language wikis: Nahuatl and Swahili. Currently taking collab notes on Hypothesis XXX - synchrony across annotation systems for all sorts of knowledge (e.g., via hypothes.is and open annotation).
- Recent peering: User:Sj/peer
- To contact me: My talkpage · meta.sj <at> gmail · +1 617 529 4266 · metasj (Skype)
Thoughts on Current movement roles / fundraising / Chapter-WMF discussions
Wikipedia Zero | International grantmaking and US Executive Order 13224
If you need assistance: I also help monitor edits to smaller projects. Please leave me a message or request.
17 new pages on meta:
- 03:07, 25 May 2016 Vandalism reports/Archives/2016-05 (hist) [591 bytes] SpBot (talk | contribs)
- 01:57, 25 May 2016 Bay Area WikiSalon/Promotional copy (hist) [2,251 bytes] Ben Creasy (talk | contribs)
- 21:18, 24 May 2016 WikiCite 2016/Proposals/Citations for oral sources (hist) [4,507 bytes] Ocaasi (talk | contribs)
- 20:55, 24 May 2016 WikiConference India 2016/Submissions/Promote Girls Education in Pakistan (hist) [3,479 bytes] Tabindaalkansjaffery (talk | contribs) (Tags: New article without categories or templates, Visual edit)
- 20:52, 24 May 2016 New Readers/Research updates (hist) [1,444 bytes] AGomez (WMF) (talk | contribs)
- 18:32, 24 May 2016 Wikimedia movement affiliates/Frequently asked questions/gl (hist) [19,629 bytes] AMPERIO (talk | contribs)
- 17:58, 24 May 2016 2016 Strategy/Community consultation/gl (hist) [3,247 bytes] AMPERIO (talk | contribs)
- 16:18, 24 May 2016 ESEA Hub/Seasonal Newsletter/May 2016 (hist) [12,511 bytes] 26Isabella (talk | contribs)
- 12:56, 24 May 2016 User:Faisalkhanbdn (hist) [235 bytes] Faisalkhanbdn (talk | contribs) (Tag: New article without categories or templates) originally created as "Faisalkhanbdn"
- 12:24, 24 May 2016 Wikimedia Forum/Header (hist) [424 bytes] Syum90 (talk | contribs)
- 09:12, 24 May 2016 CIS-A2K/Press releases/Odia Wikipedia all set to celebrate its 14th anniversary (hist) [1,028 bytes] Psubhashish (talk | contribs)
- 08:13, 24 May 2016 Wikimedians of Bashkortostan User Group/Equipment (hist) [2,599 bytes] Рөстәм Нурыев (talk | contribs)
- 22:35, 23 May 2016 Wiki Education Foundation/Monthly Reports/2016-4 (hist) [23,475 bytes] Eryk (Wiki Ed) (talk | contribs)
- 21:59, 23 May 2016 Tech/News/Archives/pt-br (hist) [1,324 bytes] Eduardogobi (talk | contribs)
- 21:21, 23 May 2016 Amical Wikimedia/May 2016 (hist) [5,275 bytes] F3RaN (talk | contribs)
- 20:36, 23 May 2016 Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director Transition Team/2016/Updates/CW20 update (hist) [1,144 bytes] Lyzzy (talk | contribs)
- 19:38, 23 May 2016 Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Kabye (hist) [1,338 bytes] Ghiutun (talk | contribs)
News: Managing translations revisited. Long-term strategy for Wikimedia projects is being discussed and planned with some vigor | How Wikipedia Works, a book on using Wikipedia from nostarch press (with cameos by the sister projects) | LSS revived! | coralline ideas for generalized message-distribution : a way around the 100-mailing-list coordination problem. | Pimp your edits! | Mailing lists/cleanup
Interesting: Modern translation and coordination @ the Embassy, pages linked from Requests. A new Stewards noticeboard. A new Main page? Level activity across request types, improve feedback for uses of Special:CentralAuth, improve [[Help:]] pages about cross-wiki special pages/tools. New contributor objections
- FDC complaint mid-2015 without clear timeline for response?
Fun: SJ Klein with Wikipedian Guy, reprises of old Wikimedia Quarto sidefeatures... like interviews with Ward Cunningham and Larry Lessig.
Pressworthy pages : User:Sj/PR
Village Pumps: ar, da, de, eo, es, fr, it, ja, nl, sv, zh, bab
Top of the desk. Active projects (see also Project map) | Wikiproject group, Digitizing and Translation with MW... Digest / on en: | Annonces | MP
elian excellence: Incoming tech requests | Wikipedia languages
meta-slimming: Historical Wikipedia pages | statistics, on en:
- old pages to slim: The importance of being Wikipedia, ...
- older budget thoughts : Long term plans
- communication models : the Why Give blog
- Mania over time
- Deleted pages to watch : <empty>
WMF events future: (see Board agenda; other agenda; &c. Last 2 quarters' planning unexpectedly light; energy drawn into private channels)
WMF events past: WMF.org chat, #wm, Sat July 24 | Vereins-Chat, #wm.de, Fri July 30 | Wikimania, August 2005
WM News, Sept 10+. | W-News | M:HP | Babel/Babylon
21 fahrplan, Dec 26-28
The Dao of Wiki * Quirks of int'l grantmaking
Resolved, that ... WMPH - why did these stop being shared on Meta? Cross-wiki links needed.
I am thinking of ways to
- improve key sites: Wikimedia website(Main, Fundraising, GFDL), http://www.wikimedia.org redirection page
- improve key meta pages: Goings-on(t), Meta:Babel(t, Interorg relations.)
- move meta-discussions to meta:, from en: and other subprojects.
- improve community:
- better multilingualism / translation across WM,
- nuanced interactions with new users, playful trolls, nascent vandals, non-editor readers; article validation
- meshed ideas, empirics, and [pre]conceived notions relating to community infrastruture, vision-building, interaction, insight and insanity, ...
- unify discussion: power structures within WM and across WP-instances (covering Ver ein/ Wreader and es: split issues as well as the mundane)
- help propose new projects: Wikifamily, Wikinews, Pa/Pr/Fu, Media, Prufing, Review...
- design a few feature improvements
- help people who reuse wikimedia content recognize the projects the content came from
- help others and future selves see what I see
- share test writing and wiki work
Topics belonging uniquely here:
+ Developer committee, Finance committee, Editor committee, PR committee -- for helping to coordinate and divide labor in those key areas.
+ Translation crew for discussing and processing multilingual issues; translation, communication, official languages, &c.
+ Press Corps for handling press IDs, contacting major events, getting exclusive interviews and photoshoots. See also Wikews.
+ Other groups to plan for Grants, Collateral, Legal issues, Outreach/User groups, Publicity, Print issues, Partnerships.
+ WM-wide mesh ('organization chart', 'project map', 'topic map', 'discussion counter', 'Wikipedia languages')
+ My MediaWiki feature requests
+ Division of labor requests
+ (c): Jamesday on #wp, en:Wikipedia:Copyright...
+ Chapters: Verein, Association, eo chapter in France...
+ New pages, Article validation, villi...
(general note : soughameter optional)