A bot is a automated software program used to perform certain repetitive tasks on a wiki. Bots typically require approval to operate, and are occasionally used by vandals to cause extensive damage to a wiki's content in a short period of time.
Special:ListUsers/bot produces a list of all accounts which are member of the “Bots” user group. Additionally, “bot” is a user right. Edits by a user with this “right” (read: property) do not show up in recent changes by default. Typically a user from the group “Bots” will have the “bot” user right. User rights are often called “flags” and bots with user right “bot” are often called “flagged” bots.
Running your own botEdit
Current and proposed botsEdit
Miscellaneous bot pagesEdit
- Bot policy
- Lists of bots - where to find bots used by Wikipedia and other Wikimedia foundation bot families.
- Vandalbot – advice on dealing with malicious bots
- robots.txt — file which tells web robots how to index your site.
- Rollback — includes instructions for using "bot rollback" to hide vandalism from recent changes
- Botopedia international project for generating Wikipedia articles from statistical data.