A bot (short for software robot) is an automated software program used to perform certain repetitive tasks on a wiki. Bots typically require approval to operate, and are occasionally used by vandals to cause extensive damage to a wiki's content in a short period of time.
Special:ListUsers/bot produces a list of all accounts which are member of the “बोटहरू” user group. Additionally, “बोट” is a user right. Edits by a user with this “right” (read: property) do not show up in recent changes by default. Typically, a user from the group “बोटहरू” will have the “बोट” user right. User rights are often called “flags” and bots with user right “बोट” are often called “flagged” bots.
Running your own bot
- Using Pywikibot
- English Wikipedia bot policy
- Steward requests/Bot status — to request an account be marked with a bot flag (for wikis without any active bureaucrat)
- Setting bot access — information for people running their own MediaWiki installation. Can be changed at Special:UserRights
- wikitech:Help:Toolforge/Developing successful tools — best practices for all bot-owners
Current and proposed bots
Miscellaneous bot pages
- Bot policy
- Lists of bots — where to find bots used by Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation bot families.
- Vandalbot — advice on dealing with malicious bots
- robots.txt — file which tells web robots how to index your site.
- Rollback — includes instructions for using "bot rollback" to hide vandalism from recent changes
- Botopedia — international project for generating Wikipedia articles from statistical data.