Wiki Movement Brazil User Group/Report/2017
2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020 • 2021
• • • • •
- User-group meeting in São Paulo, March 12, 2017.
- Participation in Wikimedia Conference, in 2017, with two UG members.
- Participation in Iberoconf, in 2017, with two UG members.
- Participation in Wikimedia Hackathon 2017, with one member.
- Participation in WikiWomenCamp, in 2017, with one member.
- Participation in Wikimania, in 2017, with three members.
- Endorsement of #wikimedia2030
- Submission of official document on Track A of global strategic discussion.
- Participation at planning video call on and support to strategic research of the Brazilian context for Wikimedia projects, with Adele Vrana and Jorge Vargas, on April and May.
- Participation in Supporting Commons contribution by GLAM institutions, here.
Strategy mission in BahiaEdit
- Per suggestion of the UG, WMF employees decided to run a research in the State of Bahia in May as part of the Strategy research. The UG supported them on a videocall, and mail by suggesting the cities where the research should be performed in order to better understand the internet access problems faced by population living in the many different situations in Brazil. The first idea was running a research in Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo, but Bahia was proposed in order to bring common problems of its less developed cities. Thanks to Adele and Jorge for their willingness to embracing this idea.
- The UG participated of two meetings with Jorge and Adele, on which we could talk about the research, the partnerships we are part of and how WMF could help, our opinions on many wiki related topics like WikiEducation, Wikipedia Zero, possible persons or enterprises to be interviewed as part of the Strategy research and so on.
WMF simple APGEdit
WMF rapid grantsEdit
Faculdade Cásper LíberoEdit
A Wikipedia project on Brazilian political culture was produced with undergraduate students within a course on Political Science at the School of Social Communications. The User Group was present with Joalpe and Sturm. This education program was associated with the Museu Paulista GLAM Initiative.
- Report: Outreach Dashboard
- Highlight: Listeria-generated list of audio files of paintings
- 42 articles created
- 780 articles edited
- 151 new editors
- 920K words added
- 216 Commons uploads
A Wikipedia and Commons project on museums of São Paulo city, in Brazil, was produced with undergraduate students within a course on Research Methodology at the School of Institutional Communications. The User Group was present with Joalpe, Horadrim~usurped and Mariliacarrera.
- Course on Wikiversity
- Report: Outreach Dashboard
- 31 articles created
- 368 articles edited
- 143 new editors
- 473K words added
- 1,104 Commons uploads
A Commons project on cultural heritage of São Paulo city, in Brazil, and a Wikipedia project on Brazilian elections were produced with undergraduate students within a course on Political Science at the School of Audiovisual Communications. The User Group was present with Joalpe and Sturm.
- Report: Outreach Dashboard
- 69 articles created
- 188 articles edited
- 72 new editors
- 308K words added
- 1,946 Commons uploads
Training for the community on July 22, in São Paulo.
Wikidata Lab I: How to automatize infoboxesEdit
Training for the community on October 5, in São Paulo.
Wikidata Lab II: How to prepare automatically listsEdit
Training for the community on November 16, in São Paulo.
Wikidata Lab III: How to suggest and use identifiersEdit
Training for the community on December 2, in São Paulo.
Wiki Education Foundation LiAnna Davis has offered a training on the educational use of Wikimedia projects at the University of São Paulo, on March 13. Training wass geared towards experienced Wikimedians, students and professors who were interested in understanding how to develop education programs and why Wikipedia belongs in education. Funding for this event was made available by the São Paulo Research Foundation; Wikimedian participants from other states were funded by the WMF (rapid grant).
- Two volunteers (User:Teles and User:vicentedeaguiar) had a meeting in January with Yuri Wanderley, General Coordinator of the Secretariat of Education in the State of Bahia, with the intention of working together for instructing about 20 professors of Anísio Teixeira Institute. These professors will be responsible for spreading to other professors of the State how to use Wikipedia on Classroom. The Coordinator also offered the resources of the Institute to produce videos and brochures about how to edit Wikipedia. We will be posting more information about that partnership soon.
- Chico Venancio started discussing with the project Mapas Culturais (cultural maps) the development of a plugin to allow the use of Wikimedia Commons as a media repository for the media used in that software. The software is used by the State of Ceará, the government of en:Uruguay and a few other clients. It's intention is to map the cultural institutions in the area. The media will be related to cultural institutions, GLAMs, mostly. Two call have been done on this project.
- Joalpe has supported the 2017 ProFIS at UNICAMP. This program was launched after the training that the UG offered in March to university professors. Results may be seen at the Dashboard.
First meeting on Instituto Anisio TeixeiraEdit
- As previously announced above, on May 22th, we (Teles and Vicente Aguiar) met with about 30 professors of the Anisio Teixeira Institute and presented them a slideshow on the basic rules of Wikipedia. The presentation worked as an opportunity to talk about their doubts with regards to editing on Wikipedia and using it on classroom.
Another meeting is set to occur on June 12th when we are going to focus on practical activities to exercise what was learnt on the meeting. Releases:
- Webpage of Instituto Anisio Teixeira
- Instituto Anisio Teixeira Facebook post
Second meeting on Instituto Anisio TeixeiraEdit
Following our first meeting, we had the second one with professors of Instituto Anisio Teixeira in September 1st. This time, we focused on a more practical activity, on which small tasks were created in order to make the professors to become more used with Wikipedia interface. The tasks involved the creation of their own userpage, using their tests pages, adding categories, images, links and references. They also received many orientations about Wikipedia interface, important links, edit box and search tips. 19 professors participated of the event that was initially thought to occur in June, but had to be delayed due to local maintenance.
Resources for the communityEdit
New functionalities on the P&E DashboardEdit
The UG has led the implementation of new functionalities of the P&E Dashboard on Wikipedia in Portuguese. These functionalities include enabling automatic editing to easily identify student-users, so to improve the dynamics of relationships among editors and students in the community. Besides Wikipedia in English, Wikipedia in Portuguese is the first project to enable these functionalities, thus working on a pilot to improve education programs to all communities. The implementation was done in liaison with the Wikimedia and Wiki Edu development teams.
Members of the user group have supported the development of a handout on editing Wikipedia as education assignments in universities. This resource was inspired by material created by the Wiki Education Foundation, which has provided their template.
Interviews with educatorsEdit
The UG Wikimedia in Brazil has continued a series of interviews with inspiring individuals who are actively committed to the idea that “Wikipedia belongs in education,” that the UG launched in 2016. These interviews were widely disseminated on social media, blogs and media outlets. Only one reference in Portuguese --and when available in other languages-- is provided.
Brazilian National ArchivesEdit
The UG is involved in a major GLAM initiative with the Brazilian National Archives, an institution that protects historical documents on the foundation of the Brazilian modern state and imperial era. The pilot upload was of some pages of the 1824 original Brazilian Imperial Constitution.
- Cross-wiki project on the Brazilian National Archives
- Commons category
- Official release from the Brazilian Department of Justice on the GLAM initiative
- OTRS ratification
Veterinary Anatomy MuseumEdit
In the context of the ongoing GLAM initiative with the University of São Paulo Museum of Veterinary Anatomy, the user group has partnered up with several institutions to develop a virtual exhibition totem at the museum site. Among other productions, the UG has contributed to the development of a short movie that presents what GLAMs stand for and what the results of the GLAM initiative with the museum have been.
Time-lapse video presenting the Museum of Veterinary Anatomy GLAM Initiative
Establishment of a formal GLAM initiative with the University of São Paulo Paulista Museum. This project is running.
- Official document of partnership
- OTRS certification
- Upload category
- Listeriabot-generated list of paintings in this GLAM (Wikidata entries have been created for all paintings and are now part of the project Sum of All Paintings on Wikidata)
Sussurro Collection (Federal University of Rio de Janeiro), Contemporary Music Coordination Center (State University of Campinas)Edit
Establishment of a formal GLAM initiative with the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro Sussurro Collection and the State University of Campinas Contemporary Music Coordination Center. This project is under development and will be started in 2017.
Museum of Geosciences (University of São Paulo)Edit
Establishment of a formal GLAM initiative with the Museum of Geosciences of the University of São Paulo. This project is under development and will be started in 2017.
Museum of Education and Toys (University of São Paulo)Edit
Establishment of a formal GLAM initiative with the Museum of Education and Toys of the University of São Paulo. This project is under development and will be started in 2017.
Meeting to discuss a GLAM initiative on Museu Paulista
- Matemateca (University of São Paulo)
- Veterinary Anatomy Museum (University of São Paulo)
Interviews with global community membersEdit
The UG Wikimedia in Brazil has launched a series of interviews with inspiring individuals who are actively committed to building the global Wikimedia community. These interviews are widely disseminated on social media, blogs and media outlets. Only one reference in Portuguese --and when available in other languages-- is provided.
Organization of an edit-a-thon on Samba, in Salvador, in December 2017.
I Language and LiteratureEdit
Organization of the first edit-a-thon on Language and Literature with IEL/UNICAMP, in October 2017.
II Woman and MediaEdit
Organization of the second edit-a-thon on Woman and Media, with Faculdade Cásper Líbero and the student-led Frente Feminista Casperiana Lisandra, in August 2017.
Neuroscience and Mathematics IVEdit
Organization of the fourth edit-a-thon on Neuroscience and Mathematics, with the RIDC NeuroMat and support from the São Paulo Research Foundation and the Wikimedia Foundation (Rapid grant), in June 2017. Official link of the edit-a-thon.
Sociology of Violence and Editathon inside NEVEdit
Introductory talk and hands-on editing session at the University of São Paulo Research Center of Sociology of Violence, on May 18. Official link of the edit-a-thon. On a second day we went to the Núcleo de Estudos da Violência hq to run a editathon on violence studies, preceded by a presentation on wiki-diffusion and short-term training for the use of open platforms, especially Wikipedia, in dissemination.
Neuroscience and Mathematics IIIEdit
Organization of the third edit-a-thon on Neuroscience and Mathematics, with the RIDC NeuroMat and support from the São Paulo Research Foundation and the Wikimedia Foundation (Rapid grant), in March 2017. Official link of the edit-a-thon.
Wiki iGEM IEdit
The Wiki iGEM I was the first edition of a editathon on synthetic biology in Brazil, promoted by the USP iGEM team in partnership with the Wikimedia Users Group in Brazil.
The use of Wikimedia projects in disseminating science, Internet SocietyEdit
Lecture on user-group activities in the dissemination of science. Talk given on September 19 in the context of Brazil's Internet Society Conference.
The use of Wikipedia in disseminating knowledge on the cultural heritage, São Paulo City HallEdit
Lecture on user-group activities in the dissemination of resources on São Paulo's cultural heritage. Talk given on August 15 in the context of São Paulo's Cultural Heritage Week.
Story telling on Wikipedia, Grupo de Pesquisa em Narrativas MidiáticasEdit
Diversity and Harassment on Wikipedia, Crypto RaveEdit
UNESCO Heritage sites in UEMA's School of ArchitectureEdit
Initially planned as an Edit-a-thon, this talk was the first event introducing Wikipedia to the students and 3 professors of the State University of Maranhão school of architecture, in the end of April. Link to the activity page.
5th Student meeting in BahiaEdit
The UG was invited by professors of Anisio Teixeira Institute to lead a talk during the 5th Student Meeting organized by the Government of Bahia. The talk was held in the Fonte Nova Stadium and students from schools of all across the state participated. We talked about the basics of Wikipedia, answered questions and raise the awareness about the importance of editing on Wikipedia in order to make their culture to be represented on the media. Smaller cities of Bahia and its culture are under-represented not only on Wikipedia, but anywhere else on internet.
Education, Cultural Heritage and TourismEdit
A photo walk to explore Ilhéus. The photo walk took place on November 6 and 7, with students from Faculdade Madre Thaís. It was supported by the user group and the initiative Caminhão com Ciência.
New glances on the Paulista MuseumEdit
MOOC module on pt.wikiversityEdit
Merge2PDF. Developed by Chicocvenancio in the context of the GLAM initiative with the Brazilian National Archives. This tool gets files from a Wikimedia Commons category and provides a PDF to be downloaded or uploaded to commons.
- "Exploring Wikiversity's tools to create a MOOC", Education Newsletter, Daniel Dieb, November 2017.
- "Integrating Wikimedia projects into the Brazilian National Archives GLAM", Wikimedia GLAM newsletter, Joalpe, October 2017.
- "Your community should discuss to implement the new P&E Dashboard functionalities", Education Newsletter, Joalpe, October 2017.
- "Edit-a-thons to spread mathematics and neuroscience", Wikimedia GLAM newsletter, Wilkruvic, August 2017.
- "Vitor Mazuco and the fandom that drives his Wikipedia editing", Ruby Mizrahi and Michelle Fitzhugh-Craig, Wikimedia blog, August 2017.
- "Hanging around at Brazilian museums with Wikipedia", Wikimedia education newsletter, João Alexandre Peschanski, July 2017.
- "Editing to change the world: Vinicius Siqueira", Ruby Mizrahi and Samir Elsharbaty, Wikimedia blog, July 2017.
- "Pairing videos with math: Illustrating mathematical concepts in Brazil", João Alexandre Peschanski and Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton, Wikimedia blog, May 2017.
- "Preparing the future GLAM generation", Wikimedia GLAM newsletter, João Alexandre Peschanski, December 2016. (published in January, 2017)
- Um museu quase virtual. Carta Capital. August, 2017
- Conhecimento livre. Revista Cásper. January, 2017
- Quais museus brasileiros estão liberando uso de imagem de seus acervos. NEXO, February, 2017.
- Como a Wikipedia pode ser uma ferramenta educativa. NEXO, February, 2017.
On January 25, on the anniversary of the city of São Paulo, Celio Costa Filho, member of the user group, participated in a half-hour debate on the "JC Debate" program, screened on national TV channel "TV Cultura". TV Cultura (Portuguese for "Culture TV"), just like we may read on its article on English Wikipedia, is a free Brazilian television network headquartered in São Paulo and a part of Fundação Padre Anchieta. It focuses on educational and cultural subjects but also has sports as entertainment options. The debate dealt with the issue of memory and how memory in relation to the city appears on some of the major sites.
- Marília Reinato Carrera and Célio Costa Filho, "Introdução à Wikipédia", ETEC - São Paulo, June 14. Slides here.
- João Alexandre Peschanski, "A Wikipédia e o poder", National Conference of COMPÓS (Associação Nacional dos Programas de Pós-Graduação em Comunicação), June 8, full text.
- Marília Reinato Carrera, "Iniciativa Wikipédia", Núcleo de Estudos da Violência da Universidade de São Paulo, May 17.
- Marília Reinato Carrera, "Wikipédia e medicina", Confraria Bioetikhós, April 29, here.
- Célio Costa Filho, "Iniciativas GLAM - museus para download", 4º Encontro de Divulgação de Ciência e Cultura, UNICAMP, April 2017, here.
- João Alexandre Peschanski and Marília Reinato Carrera, "Wikipédia e Educação: Projeto de Pesquisa 'Matemática Falada: Audiodescrição de Verbetes de Probabilidade e Estatística na Wikipédia'", IV Fórum de Discussão – Parâmetros Balizadores da Pesquisa em Educação Matemática, Universidade Federal de São Carlos, April 2017, here.
Started in 2017Edit
- Wilson Krugner Vicentim, João Alexandre Peschanski and Fernando da Paixão, "Projeto Neuromatemática na Wikipédia". Funding agency: FAPESP, 2017.
Started in 2016 and continuing in 2017Edit
- Marília Reinato Carrera, João Alexandre Peschanski and Antonio Galves, "Projeto Matemática Falada". Funding agency: FAPESP, 2016.
- Antonio Galves, João Alexandre Peschanski and four undergraduate students from the University of São Paulo, "Projeto de wiki-difusão de teoria do cérebro". Funding agency: Universidade de São Paulo (extension fellowship), 2016.
- João Alexandre Peschanski, "A wiki-pedagogia: o caso do projeto Wikipédia da Faculdade Cásper Líbero". Funding agency: Centro Interdisciplinar de Pesquisa da Faculdade Cásper Líbero, 2016.
- David Alves, João Alexandre Peschanski and Antonio Carlos Roque da Silva Filho, "Projeto de wiki-difusão em neuromatemática". Funding agency: FAPESP, 2016.
- Translation into Brazilian Portuguese of Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017.
References and notesEdit
- Wikipedia and education, NEXO, March 2017
- Interview with LiAnna Davis on using Wikipedia as an educational tool, Thais Paixa, Carta Educação, March 15.
- "Encouraging education work in Brazil", LiAnna Davis, Wiki Ed Foundation, 3/20/2017
- "Quais museus brasileiros estão liberando uso de imagem de seus acervos", Juliana Domingos de Lima, NEXO, 2/24/2017
- Museus brasileiros seguem tendência global e colocam acervo na internet
- Wikipédia abre sua janela para a história
- Janela para a história - ISTOÉ Independente
- Wikipédia publica acervo de mais de 100 instituições
- Acervos históricos ganham espaço na web
- Instituições oferecem acesso gratuito a seus acervos na Wikipédia | EXAME
- Instituições em todos os continentes oferecem acesso gratuito a seus acervos - Diário do Grande ABC
- National Archives launches project on Wiki Commons
- “Inside the Brain,” a NeuroMat-supported exhibition at the University of São Paulo Museum of Veterinary Anatomy, NMT Newsletter, July 2017.
- Motherboard, VICE, April 3.
- Educa Imprensa
- USP Acontece
- "USP sedia maratona de edição de verbetes na Wikipédia", Jornal da USP, March 2017.