Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | português do Brasil | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | संस्कृतम् | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча | vèneto | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Welcome to Meta!Edit

Hello Yair rand!, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing! — Mikhailov Kusserow (talk) 09:17, 29 September 2009 (UTC)


I think your wiktionary page is missing your old es-1 and de-1, isn't it? Kylu 01:19, 3 November 2009 (UTC)

Huh? I never had es-1 or de-1. I don't know what you're talking about. --Yair rand 02:03, 3 November 2009 (UTC)
User:Kylu is talking about a language chart--thing. It shows other people on the wiki's what language you speak, and how fluently, it is called {{Babel}} The spesh man 17:11, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
I understand that, but I don't know why Kylu thought I had es-1 or de-1. I do not understand either of those languages at all. --Yair rand 19:22, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
User:Kylu probably was confused with a different user. The spesh man 21:04, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
Ah, you're right, I was thinking of a different, but similarly named, user. My apologies. :) Kylu 23:51, 14 January 2010 (UTC)

Wiktionary logo voting close of nominationsEdit

You just said "I agree that there really is no reason to close the nominations. ". and then you go and vote "Disagree". Uh!--Richardb 00:39, 15 November 2009 (UTC)

I voted "agree" to whether we should keep the nominations open until the voting starts. I do not think that it should remain open after the voting has started, so I voted "disagree" to that. --Yair rand 00:50, 15 November 2009 (UTC)

RE: VoteEdit

I'm sorry, I'm an italian wikitionarian and I haven't thought that only in Italy now is the seventh of December. Sorry for my mistakes. I'll revert then now. (and sorry for my awful english : P) --Pullus In Fabula 23:20, 6 December 2009 (UTC)

Don't worry about it, I already reverted it. :) --Yair rand 23:23, 6 December 2009 (UTC)

Wiktionary logo voteEdit

Are you not aware that this entire election has been hijacked by 4chan? Please do not assist their efforts. Kaldari 18:35, 23 December 2009 (UTC)

I am aware of the effort by 4chan to influence the vote. However, they have not "hijacked" it. I count 17 votes for #46, which is approximately 170 votes short of what it needs to make it to the second round. Among those votes, probably only those immediately following User:Konsgn's vote were from 4chan. I think it would be best if their efforts went entirely ignored, as we are not in any danger of it having any effect. --Yair rand 18:57, 23 December 2009 (UTC)
In , U removed the words "have to" that i had recently inserted and U left the comment:
uh, no, that's not at all what it means
Please do explain what it means. If the book logo wins round 2, yet fails to garner the aforementioned 60% of all Wiktionaries, your text implies that we would all be prohibited from using it. Is that so? What about the tiled logo? Should such a situation arise, will we be prohibited from using it, despite the prior vote and usage history? Warmest Regards, :)—thecurran Speak your mind my past 23:46, 10 January 2010 (UTC)
The first statement is correct: if the book logo wins round 2, yet fails to garner the aforementioned 60% of all Wiktionaries, all Wiktionaries would be prohibited from using it. (There is of course no way to enforce this, but hopefully the Wiktionaries will stick to it anyways). If the tiles win, and fail to gain the 60% support, there will be no change, same as the situation with the book logo. --Yair rand 01:02, 11 January 2010 (UTC)

Re: Wiktionary/logo/refresh/votingEdit

Ah, good catch! I actually didn't know what the requirements on Meta were until I checked Thanks. – Minh Nguyễn (talk, contribs) 05:10, 11 January 2010 (UTC)


Hi there, Yair rand! I saw you've removed dewikt from the scroll down menu. Is there a reason for this or did this just happened accidentally? As dewikt has reached over 100k entries, it should be on the menu. Regards, -Barras talk 13:30, 5 February 2010 (UTC)

The area above the dropdown list says "Top 15, in alphabetical order by ISO 639 codes". I assumed that de must have been pushed down recently and that's why it was there before (de is now #17). Personally, I'd prefer a 100,000+ minimum like wp rather than just showing the top 15, but the message in the template said otherwise. --Yair rand 18:10, 5 February 2010 (UTC)
I replied to you on the other www... talk page. I think the number is just that no one adds others to the menu. If you look at, you will see that all +100k are on the scroll-down list. I think it should be the same way there. Best -Barras talk 19:50, 5 February 2010 (UTC)

What happened to the Wiktionary logo?Edit

There has been no activity since April. What's going on? Logan Talk Contributions 21:21, 23 June 2010 (UTC)

Hmm... Well, there's still some things that need to be done. Otourly made a refined (and svg) version a few days ago, but the left page of the logo still needs doing (See commons:Commons:Graphic_Lab/Illustration_workshop#Wiktionary_logo_candidate). Then we need localizations. Based on a discussion on the English wiktionary a short while ago, I think the switchovers to the new logo will happen at the same time as the switchover to Vector at the end of July. Hopefully by then as many Wiktionaries as possible will have versions of the logo available. --Yair rand 22:31, 23 June 2010 (UTC)


Hello, Yair rand. You have new messages at Talk:Wiktionary/logo/refresh/voting#Now_what.3F.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

--Nemo 22:25, 16 August 2010 (UTC) templateEdit

Hopefully now fixed - thanks for the spot. James F. (talk) 20:37, 8 October 2010 (UTC)


I responded to your message here. Philippe (WMF) 22:50, 5 January 2011 (UTC)

Wiktionary portal suggestionsEdit

Hi, thanks for implementing suggestions in template/temp. Would you mind updating template/js with the unminified version of that code, so we can easily maintain it in the future? I'll look into updating the other portals to provide suggestions too. Thanks! – Minh Nguyễn (talk, contribs) 06:44, 2 November 2011 (UTC)

Unminified version? Erm... (Oops.) Sorry, but there actually wasn't an unminified version. The "minified" way is just the way I usually write javascript unless it's in a situation where others would get annoyed if I did, and I saw that the rest of the js on that page was written like that, so... (*Self-trout for not realizing there was a normal version.*) Whatever, I'll run it through jsbeautifier and try to think up some variable names... --Yair rand 12:15, 2 November 2011 (UTC)
Done. --Yair rand 12:46, 2 November 2011 (UTC)

Wikimedia Travel Guide: Naming poll openEdit

Hi there,

You are receiving this message because you voiced your opinion at the Request for Comment on the Wikimedia Travel Guide.

The proposed naming poll opened a few days ago and you can vote for as many of the proposed names as you wish, if you are eligible. Please see Travel Guide/Naming Process for full details on voting eligibility and how the final name will be selected. Voting will last for 14 days, and will terminate on 16 October at 06:59:59 UTC.

Thanks, Thehelpfulone 22:12, 6 October 2012 (UTC)

Re: template/jsEdit

During the year or so I wasn't looking, various folks apparently found a better way to manage the JavaScript: all the portals now include an automatically minified version of MediaWiki:Gadget-wm-portal.js. It's based so closely on the old Wikipedia script that the Wiktionary and Wikibooks portals lost all their script-based functionality. (They don't even switch between Traditional and Simplified Chinese anymore.)

Sometime before that happened, I short-circuited part of your code to put the suggestions in an HTML5 <datalist> (which displays as a native popup menu) instead of the custom-styled elements you had used. If it's alright with you, I'd like to pare down the suggestion code to support only HTML5-compatible browsers. That'll keep the changes simple and easier to test.

 – Minh Nguyễn (talk, contribs) 04:54, 23 August 2013 (UTC)

Support for the datalist element is rather limited right now: . Additionally, Chrome does not update listed suggestions when a datalist is modified by JS, which essentially eliminates the possibility of using it for autosuggest as every group of suggestions would be one keypress behind yet still only display the suggestions that fit the current input text, and IE10/11 support is reported to be buggy.
Unfortunately, I don't think that having it use datalist is a feasible option yet. --Yair rand (talk) 09:14, 25 August 2013 (UTC)
(Sorry, by "support only HTML5-compatible browsers", did you mean datalist-supporting browsers, or more general support for HTML5 stuff? --Yair rand (talk) 09:17, 25 August 2013 (UTC))
The portal page has suggestions?! Wow, I never knew that. I generally use Safari for browsing... PiRSquared17 (talk) 17:16, 12 November 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia genealogy projectEdit

Please visit this page if you wish to contribute to a centralized discussion about a Wikimedia genealogy project. Thank you! --Another Believer (talk) 21:51, 26 February 2014 (UTC)

Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decitionsEdit

The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.

If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on

I'm notifying you because you participated in one of several relevant discussions. -Pete F (talk) 22:25, 20 August 2014 (UTC)

@Peteforsyth: I don't remember participating in any discussion relevant to this issue. Which discussion are you referring to? --Yair rand (talk) 22:27, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
Hi Yair, I took names from a few discussions, and without taking a little time to look I don't know exactly which you came from:
  • RFC here on Meta on the superprotect feature
  • RFC here on Meta "On a scale of billions..."
  • RFCs on English Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons on Media Viewer default status
  • Media Viewer talk page on
I hope this notice wasn't an unwanted intrusion -- I can look into it more closely if you're still unsure where I got your name! -Pete F (talk) 22:31, 20 August 2014 (UTC)

Superprotect statusEdit

Dear Yair rand, since you are an administrator on a wiki from which no user participated in this discussion, I'd like to make sure you are aware of some recent events which may alter what the Wikimedia Foundation lets you do on your wiki: Superprotect.

Peteforsyth 10:08, 12 September 2014 (UTC)


Humble Request to Hon'ble Members of Language CommitteeEdit

  • As a Test Admin of Wp/khw Khowar Wikipedia Project I on behalf of the Khowar language communities of Pakistan, Afghanist, India and Xinjiang(China) humbly request the all respectable members of the language comittee for early approval, creation of Khowar Wkipedia i.e. The Khowar language is spoken in Pakistan, India, Afghanistan and Xingjiang(China). I have created a test page for Khowar language in incubator i.e. Wikipedia Khowar (Khowar Language Wikipedia), On behalf of the abovementioned Khowar speaking four countries for early approval and creation and normalization of Khowar Wikipedia edition. Khowar is one of spoken 14 languages in Chitral(Pakistan). It will be useful to Khowar internet users to report news from worldwide. I strongly feel it deserves its own Wikipedia. Being a test admin i have translated all most used messages into khowar. I have created test Khowar Wikipedia at Khowar Wikpedia.--Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 05:15, 6 November 2015 (UTC)

Discriminatory attitude by LangComEdit

I am lodging the complaint regarding the discriminatory attitude by the LangCom. According to User:Yair rand The test project seems very active. More than three active (>10 edits) ‎editors per month for the past 16 months, 22 active editors in December, and some of the more active ‎editors making hundreds of edits monthly. Please check ‎this[1], ‎‎[2] and ‎‎[3]. I request all the members of languages committee and members of Board of Trustee ‎for early approval/creation of Khowar Wikipedia. I have translated all the core messages into khowar ‎and all requirements i.e. 3+ users, active for more than 16 months and other issues has already been ‎settled and waiting for creation of our own language Wikipedia like Western Punjabi Wikipedia. If the ‎language committee is not verifying/approving this Wiki I request the all respectable contributors to ‎stop writing and delete all their contributions as we are no more want to waste our precious time in ‎Incubator, we want our own wiki, being a regular contributor and Test Admin I am lodging this complaint ‎before the language committee and members of board of trustee and request for sympathetically consideration. With profound Regards -- Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 09:29, 7 April 2016 (UTC)‎

@Rachitrali: I've sent an email to the LangCom mailing list regarding the Khowar Wikipedia, asking them to respond. Apparently the members of the committee have not been following the LangCom talk page. I suspect the current issues are a result of a communication failure, rather than a discriminatory attitude. Hopefully the committee will respond promptly, and grant approval to the Khowar Wikipedia. I'm sorry about the current difficulties.
(I'm not a member of the Language Committee, by the way.) --Yair rand (talk) 17:14, 7 April 2016 (UTC)
@Yair rand: thank you very much for your support, we are waiting for positive response from LangCom, please remind the committee. Regards --Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 04:04, 13 April 2016 (UTC)
@Rachitrali: My original message to the mailing list still has yet to go through, unfortunately. I messaged the list moderator earlier today about this, but I haven't gotten a response back yet. If there's something wrong with the mailing list then I'll just email the LangCom members individually. I'm starting to worry that LangCom as a group may have become inactive. If that's the case, I'll bring up the possibility of setting up an alternative system of approving new languages with the broader community. --Yair rand (talk) 04:22, 13 April 2016 (UTC)
@Yair rand: Thank you very much sir--Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 04:30, 13 April 2016 (UTC)
@Yair rand: Thank you very much for your support, please check this[4]--Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 16:44, 9 December 2016 (UTC)

Top Ten WikipediasEdit

Thanks for the patience giving pointers to the newbies. Nemo 15:50, 26 May 2016 (UTC)

About your script WikidataInfoEdit

Hi Yair rand!

First, thanks for your contributions making usefuls scripts. I have put your script WikidataInfo to display Wikidata info on sister projects on my global.js and it works fine in the English Wikipedia but it doesn't works on Spanish Wikipedia (I don't know how works in another languages). I have tried to put it on my commons.js in the Spanish Wikipedia, but it doesn't work too.

Have you got any idea of how can I make it work?

Thanks in advance! I await your answer :)

Regards, Ivanhercaz | User talk   10:26, 9 July 2016 (UTC)

Navigating more I have checked that it works, it appears in the top of the articles, although it doesn't appear always. I'm going to test it more.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Regards, Ivanhercaz | User talk   13:17, 9 July 2016 (UTC)

Mongol Bichig WikipediaEdit

I see there has been no progress towards a Mongolian Wikipedia in Traditional Script, even though:

  • The script is now widely supported on computers and mobile devices.
  • A Chinese company has come in to fill the gap with its own Mongolian "Wikipedia" in traditional script that mostly plagiarises content from Mongolian Wikipedia.

[[5]] 12:21, 21 December 2016 (UTC)


Have you ever thought about this the other way around? That is, consider for a moment that it's the Wikimedia Foundation and its extravagant budgeting that is trolling you, and me, and every other hard-working unpaid volunteer on this project? - Thekohser (talk) 02:57, 14 January 2017 (UTC)

Re: Interaction policiesEdit

On your question in #wikimedia: clearly there is no person at WMF tasked with the specific thing because it would require admitting that they have such a problem, so you'd get bounced. Nowadays the WMF employees are very keen on presenting most problems in discussions and (non)collaboration as a matter of civility and ethics, probably because it's highly discretionary so they believe that they have higher standards in that regard and because it's easier than admitting that there are some fundamental issues (a content problem, not a presentation problem). So you see things like mw:Code of Conduct shoved down the users' throat which have the additional benefit of a WMF power grab in case of conflict. Then there's mw:Technical Collaboration Guidance which is not a policy because employees don't want to be bound, unlike users who can be subject to new policies invented by WMF out of thin air.

The only thing you may find or get is some generic statement such as Wikimedia Foundation Guiding Principles: «These are the people who build the projects, and they are the Wikimedia Foundation's partners in developing the platform». Notice how it was carefully worded to exclude the concept of a community as organic and deliberative body, so that the Wikimedia Foundation reserves the power to decide who's worthy of being their "partners" and to determine what the sum of individuals really wants. You can see this at work every single time the WMF opens a discussion or, even worse, a survey: the outcome is invariably a condescending determination that they know better than the community what will make people happier and the projects better off. There was some discussion on the draft's talk page. --Nemo 04:58, 24 October 2017 (UTC) P.s. I've seen [6] now. I believe that the problems you mention are just symptoms of what above and focusing on them can only lead to cosmetic changes. But good luck!

WMF partnersEdit

Thanks for flagging the unbelievable choice of Google as first partner to mention for the WMF. I think that, beyond being blind to who are our real partners in real world initiatives, someone at WMF has an inferiority complex. That's very sad. On the bright side, people who don't really believe in Wikimedia tend to eventually leave. The question is how much damage they leave behind them (it often takes years to repair the ruins left by a single employee) and how many other employees they turn off in the process. --Nemo 06:55, 8 August 2018 (UTC)

The Community Wishlist SurveyEdit


You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.

You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)

CentralNotice adminEdit

Do you have a link to a list of who has this ability? If Pharos doesn't respond, someone else will have to take it down. Enigmaman (talk) 16:59, 21 June 2019 (UTC)

@Enigmaman: See Special:ListUsers/centralnoticeadmin. --Yair rand (talk) 17:26, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
@Enigmaman: Also, CentralNotice/Request has a "List of currently active volunteer CentralNotice administrators" near the top. --Yair rand (talk) 17:42, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
I tried pinging a few of them. This whole thing is utterly confusing. Pharos didn't have support for it and is now ignoring my messages and e-mails. Enigmaman (talk) 17:58, 23 June 2019 (UTC)

Hi, I've seen the discussion and agree that this use of the banner seems maligned with the interest of Wikipedia being NPOV. I'm not versed in the back-room goings of wikipedia, but would like to help, if I'm able. Can either of you suggest a course of action for me? Spirarel (talk) 01:41, 24 June 2019 (UTC)

I don't know what to do. This bothers me as is in a crisis right now and the sitenotice should be used for that, not what Pharos did. @Martin Urbanec: @Romaine: @Shanmugamp7: @Matiia: @Benoit Rochon: CentralNotice/Request/Wiki Loves Pride 2019 Enigmaman (talk) 15:08, 24 June 2019 (UTC)
  Done I've disabled the campaign as an emergency measure. --Martin Urbanec (talk) 15:12, 24 June 2019 (UTC)
@everyone: Please let's move with discussion to the request itself. Thanks! --Martin Urbanec (talk) 15:14, 24 June 2019 (UTC)


Nice one! How do you get this specific stat? — Aron M (talk) 00:42, 16 August 2019 (UTC)

I just pulled all the languages from Non-free content and matched them up with the article counts at List of Wikipedias with a quick script. --Yair rand (talk) 00:48, 16 August 2019 (UTC)

Thank you for participating in the September 2019 Wikimedia CaféEdit

Thank you for attending the Wikimedia Café. Archived meeting notes are at Wikimedia Café/minutes 2019 09, and you are welcome to make corrections or additions if you think that there is a need to do so. ↠Pine () 21:29, 28 September 2019 (UTC)


That was really creative, can I steal it for future use?--AldnonymousBicara? 21:14, 16 February 2020 (UTC)

@Aldnonymous: Certainly. :) --Yair rand (talk) 21:18, 16 February 2020 (UTC)

Miscreated page - remove requrestEdit


I tried to create a global css page on wikimedia, but I created Homk/global.css. There' no 'user' prefix, so I think the page should be removed.

I searched for an administrator, and you were the first one in the list.

Could you fix my mistake please? -- Homk (talk) 15:25, 7 April 2020 (UTC)

@Homk: Yair is a translation admin, not an admin (only admin can delete). That said, I will do the deletion for you, in the future tag {{db|author}} can alert us to it. Camouflaged Mirage (talk) 15:30, 7 April 2020 (UTC)

RTRC filtersEdit

Hi, I'm a patroller from Turkish Wikipedia who uses usually RTRC instead of recent changes. I have a request about RTRC filters. Is it possible to do hide AWB users & only category changes with additional filters? "Hide patrolled edits" filter doesn't work for AWB users & there are a lot of category changes, so it's hard to follow ip users & new registered users within that much changes.--Can (talk) 13:58, 18 September 2020 (UTC)

@Can: I don't know much about RTRC filters, sorry. --Yair rand (talk) 20:22, 21 September 2020 (UTC)

Sorry and thank u for reponse.--Can (talk) 21:33, 21 September 2020 (UTC)

Global Conversations registration reminderEdit

Hi Yair rand,

This is a reminder that if you have not yet registered for the Global Conversations on Nov. 21 and 22, please do so! Register here. Registration closes by Nov. 20. We will email you the login information for Zoom prior to the call. Thank you. Looking forward to welcoming you this weekend.

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 16:25, 17 November 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021: InvitationEdit

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

18:25, 20 November 2020 (UTC)

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 01:31, 27 November 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021Edit

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

16:08, 11 December 2020 (UTC)


I don't necessarily expect Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Anti-harassment/UserBlind mode to win the Wishlist, but if you decide to re-propose it in the future, let's talk about how to describe it so people won't keep opposing the opposite of the proposal. Maybe a side-by-side example, showing "What everyone sees" vs "What you see in optional UserBlind mode"? Maybe a list of use cases, like "If you want to make sure that you are summarizing an RFC discussion without being biased by the editors' reputations, then turn it on" vs "If you need to investigate a problem, then turn it off"? (I don't need a reply, but please ping me if you want my attention; I'm not usually at Meta-Wiki.) WhatamIdoing (talk) 16:40, 24 December 2020 (UTC)

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 15:10, 4 January 2021 (UTC)


Thank you, yes it is going with a limited traffic. We will correct it. --Ilario (talk) 06:26, 15 January 2021 (UTC)

Global Council, Signwriting, wikiBlind & Hello!Edit

Hi Yair rand! I just went digging into the global convo cluster pages and found your well considered thoughts on the global council from Jan (not as disorganized as you may have thought!).

I’m very very interested in those considerations too and would be delighted to start a dialog.

Also, in looking at your user page, your work in Signwriting is dear to my heart! I connected with Valerie and the team of Signwriting wikipedia at the 2016 WikiCon in San Diego. Where you there by any chance?

I’m deeply committed to improving inclusivity within our movements, and am a cofounder of and the even bigger concept of wikiKind - a human-centered support structure for people participating in the free knowledge movements. I would love to talk about shared interests. Partnering with American Foundation of the Blind and wanting to connect with everyone in the disabilities communities. We have so many brilliant human minds who could be participating in this incredible work!

I’m not on wiki very often - mostly outward facing, so easiest to reach via email - dr.mel.ganus at gmail

Very grateful for the depth of your work and energy committed to these crazy experiments we’ve called wikipedia and the free knowledge movements!

DrMel (talk) 04:03, 5 February 2021 (UTC)

Sunday February 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

We are a mosiac.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, and January SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday February 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To help set priorities for the SWAN agenda, and also to help manage which global conversations should be a focus in general, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this SWAN priorities form.

Possible topics include Community Board seats, Interim Global Council, Strategy prioritization follow-up events, Branding, Universal Code of Conduct, Grant strategy, and WMF CEO search. That is a lot of things, which are most important to cover in our upcoming SWAN meeting?

Following the regular call, in SWAN after hours: Wikimedia Meet Jitsi social event with brainstorming for possible Nano Charter ideas, plus any other topics.

--Pharos (talk) 18:03, 18 February 2021 (UTC)