Wikimedia Forum

← Discussion pages Wikimedia Forums Archives →
Shortcut:
WM:FORUM
QA icon clr.svg

The Wikimedia Forum is a central place for questions, announcements and other discussions about the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects. (For discussion about the Meta wiki, see Meta:Babel.)
This is not the place to make technical queries regarding the MediaWiki software; please ask such questions at the MediaWiki support desk; technical questions about Wikimedia wikis, however, can be placed on Tech page.

You can reply to a topic by clicking the "[edit]" link beside that section, or you can start a new discussion.
Wikimedia Meta-Wiki

Participate:

Filing cabinet icon.svg
SpBot archives all sections tagged with {{Section resolved|1=~~~~}} and sections whose most recent comment is older than 30 days.

New project proposal - WikiYouth: Building Open Data TogetherEdit

Hi, everyone!

I am one of the organizers of the IGF Youth Summit, a Day 0 project of the IGF 2021. As a member of the board of the Youth SIG from the Internet Society, we are trying to engage young people that are part of the internet governance ecosystem in Wikimedia projects. We delivered our first project a few months ago, but now we are trying to do something more focused and easier to learn, while trying to get more fruitful results to the Wiki community.

That is why we are proposing a Rapid Grant Contest centered in Wikidata called WikiYouth: Building Open Data Together, aiming to add relevant data to Internet Governance and youth pages. I would really appreciate it if you guys could review it and give us a few tips on how to improve the idea, and if anyone wants to help in this project, we would love an extra hand or two!

Coolest Tool Award 2021: Call for nominationsEdit

The third edition of the m:Coolest Tool Award is looking for nominations!

Tools play an essential role for the Wikimedia projects, and so do the many volunteer developers who experiment with new ideas and develop and maintain local and global solutions to support the Wikimedia communities. The Coolest Tool Award aims to recognize and celebrate the coolest tools in a variety of categories.

The awarded projects will be announced and showcased in a virtual ceremony in December. Deadline to submit nominations is October 27. More information: m:Coolest Tool Award. Thanks for your recommendations! -- 2021 Coolest Tool Academy team

WikihaviorEdit

Gain interest here Faster than Thunder (talk) 23:48, 29 October 2021 (UTC)

New Project - WikihaviorEdit

I want WMF to start a new project called Wikihavior].Faster than Thunder (talk) 21:58, 30 October 2021 (UTC)

Meet the new Movement Charter Drafting Committee membersEdit

The Movement Charter Drafting Committee election and selection processes are complete.

The committee will convene soon to start its work. The committee can appoint up to three more members to bridge diversity and expertise gaps.

If you are interested in engaging with Movement Charter drafting process, follow the updates on Meta and join the Telegram group.

With thanks from the Movement Strategy and Governance team --SOyeyele (WMF) (talk) 17:51, 1 November 2021 (UTC)

Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021Edit

The event: Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021.
The time: 2021-11-07 15:20] UTC.
The used platform: Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021, Zoom, YouTube and Etherpad.
You can confirm your registration and get your ticket for free on the following link until 3 November 2021 22:59 (UTC). (Source – modificied).
The event is open for everyone from everywhere.

✍️ Dušan Kreheľ (talk) 17:11, 3 November 2021 (UTC)

Buenas tardesEdit

Me gustaría dirigirme a la persona apropiada para darle las gracias por el nuevo invento de responder en las páginas de discusión. Es muy cómodo. Lourdes Cardenal (talk) 20:38, 7 November 2021 (UTC)

Extension:DiscussionTools ✍️ Dušan Kreheľ (talk) 21:48, 7 November 2021 (UTC)

Non free images with a kind of nationalist licenseEdit

Hello, everybody. In Wikipedia in Aragonese there is a category of 210 non-free images that by indication of their author, can only be used in WP in Aragonese. Aragón is a region of Spain in which only 1% of the inhabitants speak this language, while 100% speak Spanish, and there is a nationalist movement that wants to promote the use of that language (I asume that WP:AN is part of this effort). In my opinion, limiting the use of that images to the ar.wikipedia.org subdomain consists in a kind of nationalist license, and therefore is contrary to the universalist spirit of Wikipedia, whose principles are committed to defending the equality of all human beings regardless of their race, language, etc. I am aware that the copyright holder is free to share them only on WP:AN (and I know that he doesn't want to upload them to Commons); what I disagree with is that administrators of WP:AN accept this “poisoned gift”. Let's suppose the license said that “these images may be used only to illustrate biographies of white people”. We do not accept racism, but we do accept linguistic nationalism? I have asked the three active administrators of WP:AN to remove them (conversation in Spanish and Aragonese), but they are opposed to doing so. The subdomain ar.wikipedia.org does not belong to them, but to the community of wikipedia.org. I propose that Wikimedia prohibit the use of images with any kind of nationalist license in the WP:AN and in all others. Do you agree? Thank you. --Pompilos (talk) 21:14, 8 November 2021 (UTC)

It is complicated. Technically those indeed are non-free images, and while a local community might adopt an exemption doctrine policy to accept some non-free images, wmf:Resolution:Licensing policy explicitly excludes some cases from such EDPs: "An EDP may not allow material where we can reasonably expect someone to upload a freely licensed file for the same purpose, such as is the case for almost all portraits of living notable individuals.". As far as I can see those photos seem to be some old fortresses, for those one can clearly go and take a free picture. Spain also has freedom of panorama so there are no complications for photos of buildings whatsoever. One can also request a grant to organise a Wikiexpedition to make such photos. The problem is though that there is no good solution what to do in such cases. Unfortunately at the moment there is no group such as global image reviewers who would be authorised to perform license checks "from outside" the community, and even if there was such group it is complicated what its dynamics should've been vs local administrators, especially in cases when administrators disagree. --Base (talk) 23:30, 8 November 2021 (UTC)

I proposed a wiki where global user data will be located atEdit

I have proposed a wiki of global user data, GlobalWiki. If the WMF creates it, then they may want to move all global user data from Meta-Wiki to GlobalWiki. Meta does not have a name summarising that it is where global user data is located at; it is for documentation and discussion of Wikimedia projects.

From TylerMagee (talk) 20:08, 12 November 2021 (UTC)

@TylerMagee: Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. If it is the name that is an issue, we can get an alias created. This wiki is already set up as a central server in terms of where all accounts are created along with loginwiki, where we coordinate all WMF xwiki actions and discussions, so what you are proposing is replicating everything that already exists, or further splitting out what is already coordinated, and you have not explained any benefits, any features, or any means to resolve the problems that you would be creating. Also to note that aspects of global preferences are already created and centralised. Some reference pages: SUL · Global blocks · Global user pages  — billinghurst sDrewth 02:00, 13 November 2021 (UTC)

Nouveau livre sur le mouvement Wikimédia / New book on the Wikimedia movementEdit

Bonjour, je reviens vers vous pour vous communiquer l'avancement de mes travaux et vous les soumettre à relecture, critique et commentaire. Il s'agit cette fois d'un livre intitulé Le mouvement Wikimédia dont je viens de terminer la mise en page sur Wikilivres dans le but d'en produire un éventuel ouvrage papier. Une belle fin de journée à tous et merci d'avance pour ceux qui cliquerons sur le lien.

Hello, I'm coming back to you to tell you the progress of my work and to submit it to you for review, criticism and comment. This time, it's about a book entitled Le mouvement Wikimédia which I just finished the layout on Wikilivres in order to produce an eventual paper book. A nice end of day to all and thanks in advance for those who will click on the link.

Lionel Scheepmans  Contact (Fr-N, En-3, Pt-3) 21:26, 14 November 2021 (UTC)

Grants:Project/Rapid/LUCG Wikimedia Community/LUCG First Edit-a-thonEdit

Dear Community Members,


I am announcing a rapid grant we submitted about recruiting editors and improving content on Wikipedia and Wikidata.


We would be very grateful to have your feedback and endorsements about this project. Please see the proposal here:

Grants:Project/Rapid/LUCG Wikimedia Community/LUCG First Edit-a-thon

Sunkanmi12 (talk) 21:51, 15 November 2021 (UTC)

SuggestionEdit

There should be an option to simply ban IP addresses from account creation, rather than affecting the people with that IP address. 71.172.112.82 13:02, 16 November 2021 (UTC)

I'm quite sure that will require an update to the GlobalBlocking tool; you may submit a feature request here. Inlcude tag "GlobalBlocking". — xaosflux Talk 16:54, 17 November 2021 (UTC)

Update of "m:Persistent words added by unregistered" chartEdit

Is it possible to get an updated version of m:Persistent words added by unregistered editors to English Wikipedia per month is plotted over time? mentioned in https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Measuring_edit_productivity by User:Halfak_(WMF) who has left. Wakelamp (talk) 08:59, 18 November 2021 (UTC)

Talk to the Community Tech: The future of the Community Wishlist SurveyEdit

Hello!

We, the team working on the Community Wishlist Survey, would like to invite you to an online meeting with us. It will take place on 30 November (Tuesday), 17:00 UTC on Zoom, and will last an hour. Click here to join.

Agenda

  • Changes to the Community Wishlist Survey 2022. Help us decide.
  • Become a Community Wishlist Survey Ambassador. Help us spread the word about the CWS in your community.
  • Questions and answers

Format

The meeting will not be recorded or streamed. Notes without attribution will be taken and published on Meta-Wiki. The presentation (all points in the agenda except for the questions and answers) will be given in English.

We can answer questions asked in English, French, Polish, Spanish, German, and Italian. If you would like to ask questions in advance, add them on the Community Wishlist Survey talk page or send to sgrabarczuk@wikimedia.org.

Natalia Rodriguez (the Community Tech manager) will be hosting this meeting.

Invitation link

We hope to see you! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 20:03, 26 November 2021 (UTC)