|←User page||Welcome to my talk page||Archives (current)→|
VRT member rightsEdit
Hi, I wonder if there is a possibility to add to VRT members the right to view the deleted revisions of files globaly or just in Commons. As VRT member I working often with deleted files, and without sysop rights on Commons I always need to requesting an undeletion of files, which sometimes need to be deleted again after my review. It will be very easier if I requested the undeletion only when I sure that the file is ok, and not just to look at it. Best regards.--Andriy.v (talk) 10:02, 26 November 2021 (UTC)
- Hey @Andriy.v, that's definitely not going to be solely my call . If you're asking for my personal thoughts about this, let me link you to an old discussion at Wikimedia Commons, where it was suggested to grant OTRS agents the right to view/undelete deleted pages. For some additional context, also see en:Wikipedia:Viewing deleted content, which quotes comments made by multiple former General Counsel of the Wikimedia Foundation on this topic.
- To summarize all of the links above, generally speaking, non-admins are not allowed to interact with deleted content. There are some exemptions, but those are made to people elected using admin-like criteria: for example, Czech Wikipedia's ArbCom members (who are usually not admins) are allowed to view deleted content by virtue of being arbs, but that's only possible because the community elects them using a similar process like what is applied for admins.
- Personally speaking, I don't think it's possible (or wise) to grant VRT members the ability to see deleted content (definitely not globally). Another solution to the problem might be creating a subqueue in VRTS, that will have tickets requiring administrator attention.
- Best, Martin Urbanec (talk) 12:50, 26 November 2021 (UTC)
Hello, am wondering if you might grant me the temporary rights. My admin right expires in one day and considering the bulk mess it would take me hours. Since I didn’t want to flood recent changes with hundreds of deletions and moves am requesting the rights for at least a day I fix the mess before I lose the tools. Cheers --Synoman Barris (talk) 13:39, 26 November 2021 (UTC)
- @Synoman Barris Hello, unfortunately, it is not possible to grant any rights without community discussion first. The stewards do not constitute consensus – with regard to granting rights, our job is to evaluate discussion and determine whether a consensus exists (either as a result of ad-hoc discussion or due to a policy existing).
- A solution to your problem might be creating a temporary admin bot (an extra account having both the sysop and bot rights), as @Ruslik0 suggested at SRP. Personally, I can imagine other solutions too. However, whatever the final solution is, it'd need to be supported by the community.
- I hope the above makes sense to you. Thanks for all you do and have a nice day, Martin Urbanec (talk) 06:58, 27 November 2021 (UTC)