Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца) | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form) | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | português do Brasil | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | संस्कृतम् | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча | vèneto | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体) | 中文(繁體) | +/-

Welcome to Meta!Edit

Hello, NTymkiv (WMF). Welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum if you need help with something (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!

--Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 00:42, 29 June 2016 (UTC)

Thank you! :) --NTymkiv (WMF) (talk) 18:26, 30 June 2016 (UTC)

Wikimedia Foundation Board Human Resources CommitteeEdit

Dear Nataliia, Congratulations on your appointment to the Board and good luck with your work. May I ask you, as a member of the HRC, to take a look at Talk:Wikimedia Foundation Board Human Resources Committee and consider the questions hich have gone unanswered there for the last couple of months? Thanks in advance. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 21:12, 3 July 2016 (UTC)

Thank you!   Done I have shared what I know at this moment --NTymkiv (WMF) (talk) 23:34, 3 July 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for your prompt response. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 16:24, 4 July 2016 (UTC)

Wikimedia Foundation Board Governance CommitteeEdit

Dear Nataliia, May I also ask you to consider the discussion at Talk:Wikimedia Foundation Board Governance Committee#Meetings. Thanks. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 21:16, 3 July 2016 (UTC)

  Done I hope it helps a bit --NTymkiv (WMF) (talk) 23:34, 3 July 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for your prompt response. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 16:24, 4 July 2016 (UTC)

WikiConference India 2016 programEdit

Congratulations again on your proposal being selected!

We hope you have registered for the conference. If not please follow the instructions at: http://wci2016.doattend.com/ If you are a scholarship recipient - use the Wikimedia Registration option. In case you are not attending or unable to attend, please let us know at the earliest so that the schedules can be readjusted accordingly.

The program schedule is available here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_India_2016/Programs

Please make sure you read the presenter guidelines. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_India_2016/Presenter_guidelines

We look forward to seeing you in Chandigarh!

For program committee

Shyamal

en:User:Shyamal

Thank you very much! I have registered. Looking forward to seeing you! --NTymkiv (WMF) (talk) 22:55, 29 July 2016 (UTC)

Staffing issuesEdit

I am sorry that I misunderstood your comment and hence misrepresented you. I have withdrawn that part of my message to Katherine. I may say that I still maintain that there is a general pattern here, but it seems that the case you mentioned is not part of that. Of course I completely agree with the desire to make prudent and well-thought-out requests for resources. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 11:13, 7 August 2016 (UTC)

Thank you --NTymkiv (WMF) (talk) 12:14, 14 August 2016 (UTC)

Strategy AlphaEdit

You may find Grants:IdeaLab/Strategy Alpha interesting. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 11:42, 13 August 2016 (UTC)

Yes, it is an interesting idea --NTymkiv (WMF) (talk) 12:14, 14 August 2016 (UTC)

"The Board should ..."Edit

Nataliia, I hope you enjoyed your conference in India. Your presentation on page 22 says Active volunteer engagement with questions and tasks facing the board is welcome! In that light of that comment, which I heartily wlecome as long overdue, I invite you to comment on my question of 19 June at Talk:Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard, resulting from a discussion from April. Oh, and the section above, of course! Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 18:49, 13 August 2016 (UTC)

Thank you, I have added all the links mentioned to the working page on Board transparency. I'll ping you when I have an answer to share about the future of the noticeboard --NTymkiv (WMF) (talk) 12:14, 14 August 2016 (UTC)

YGMEdit

Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 18:43, 16 August 2016 (UTC)

Yes, thank you. I have replied --NTymkiv (WMF) (talk) 19:17, 16 August 2016 (UTC)

ContextEdit

Hi Nataliia, hope you had a good visit to northern India. During your talk, I had asked Asaf a question and you were understandably unaware of the context - sorry, but it would have taken a lot of time to explain all of that but I have added a case for transparency here just now, the links might give you some of the context surrounding it. Shyamal (talk) 06:52, 27 August 2016 (UTC)

ElephantEdit

I appreciate your comment about my "mysterious personality" being a potential obstruction to the serious consideration of the points I attempt to raise. Although I do not think it ought to be an obstruction, it had not occurred to me before that it might be and I will consider, what, if anything, I can do to ameliorate it. So thanks for bringing it to my attention. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 21:09, 6 October 2016 (UTC)

Share your experience and feedback as a Wikimedian in this global surveyEdit


  1. This survey is primarily meant to get feedback on the Wikimedia Foundation's current work, not long-term strategy.
  2. Legal stuff: No purchase necessary. Must be the age of majority to participate. Sponsored by the Wikimedia Foundation located at 149 New Montgomery, San Francisco, CA, USA, 94105. Ends January 31, 2017. Void where prohibited. Click here for contest rules.

Your feedback matters: Final reminder to take the global Wikimedia surveyEdit

(Sorry to write in Engilsh)

Uncontrolled spending increasesEdit

In my essay at User:Guy Macon/Wikipedia has Cancer I make several proposals.

Whether of not you agree with the essay as a whole, would you be willing to propose and/or support the following?

  • Make spending largely transparent, publish a detailed account of what money is being spent on and answer any reasonable questions asking for more details.
  • Limit spending increases to no more than inflation plus some percentage (adjusted for any increases in page views). Are you willing to support any limit at all on spending growth, and if so roughly how much? 10%? 20%? 30%?
  • Build up our endowment and structure the endowment so that the WMF cannot legally dip into the principal when times get bad.

--Guy Macon (talk) 02:44, 19 April 2017 (UTC)

New message at Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboardEdit

Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard#Wikimedia Cloud --Guy Macon (talk) 03:59, 10 July 2017 (UTC)

Governance Committee minutesEdit

Hi. I haven't been able to find any of the minutes from the Board Governance Committee meetings since 2017. Are these still being posted? If so, do you know where I might be able to find them? Thanks. --Yair rand (talk) 21:32, 27 August 2019 (UTC)

Болгарські ВікіновиниEdit

&@Antanana: Скажи, будь ласка, Правління обговорювало закриття Болгарських Вікіновин (Proposals for closing projects/Deletion of Bulgarian Wikinews), як про це всі просили? Десь можна прочитати рішення? --sasha (krassotkin) 08:03, 23 September 2019 (UTC)


Thank you for helping to create the Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy RecommendationsEdit

  Wikimedia 2030
Thank you very much for everything you did to help create the Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy Recommendations! I am especially grateful for the enormous amount of work you did in the Roles & Responsibilities working group and all the care and commitment you brought to the process. --Nicole Ebber (WMDE) (talk) 15:44, 25 June 2020 (UTC)

Sunday October 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Friendship is a movement value.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the September and August SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday October 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 16:55, 22 October 2020 (UTC)

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 01:30, 27 November 2020 (UTC)

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 15:06, 4 January 2021 (UTC)

Sunday February 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
We are a mosiac.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, and January SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday February 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To help set priorities for the SWAN agenda, and also to help manage which global conversations should be a focus in general, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this SWAN priorities form.

Possible topics include Community Board seats, Interim Global Council, Strategy prioritization follow-up events, Branding, Universal Code of Conduct, Grant strategy, and WMF CEO search. That is a lot of things, which are most important to cover in our upcoming SWAN meeting?

Following the regular call, in SWAN after hours: Wikimedia Meet Jitsi social event with brainstorming for possible Nano Charter ideas, plus any other topics.

--Pharos (talk) 17:58, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

Sunday March 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Community as a hand-carved gem.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, and February SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Grants relaunch, Universal Code of Conduct/Discussions, Wikimedia Enterprise / OKAPI, Community Board seats, Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday March 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although some places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 19:39, 17 March 2021 (UTC)

Open Letter from Arbcoms to the Board of TrusteesEdit

Dear Board of Trustees,

This is an open letter from arbitrators and arbitration committees from across the Wikimedia movement.

We have followed closely the process of the creation of the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). We know that many small communities do not have a basic set of rules, so it's hard for new editors to have a good sense of what is allowed and what not. Additionally, we encourage the creation of basic rules of conduct for all wikis to ensure that nobody gets treated poorly. Editors in our communities wish to have an environment conducive to creating high quality content. We do not want to see editors discriminated against based on opinion, culture, sexuality, etc. Editors should be judged by their editing. In our experience, the global community and our projects will generally endorse rules that ensure no individual is a victim of discrimination or hounding.

However, we are concerned about the enforcement of the UCoC and concerned about how that enforcement will be viewed on our projects. The lack of formal consultation with projects before the board approved the UCoC means it risks being seen as imposed by the Wikimedia Foundation from above, rather than being seen as a legitimate community endeavor. Several of our projects have seen major damage and harm done when the communities have come into conflict with the Wikimedia Foundation (for instance dewiki with SUPERPROTECT and enwiki with FRAMGATE). We do not want that to happen with the Universal Code of Conduct as that could undermine the benefits it has to offer for projects without well-developed policies, systems, and experience for dealing with editor behavior. Recent changes to the timeline to allow for more consultation and discussion are a positive step.

It is therefore vital that projects with more sophisticated governing systems, like ours, be formally involved in the next step of the UCoC process. We note the recent call for a new committee to draft the second phase. At least one person with experience as an arbitrator, or similar experience dealing with complex and difficult behavior issues, should be added as a member of the drafting committee, and at least one additional person with this experience, or experience as a Steward, should be added as an advisor.

We understand that individual projects cannot be given a veto over the implementation of the UCoC. However, we hope that you understand that individual projects must feel committed to whatever enforcement mechanisms arise. Without this sense of investment and partnership the UCoC will ultimately fail. Mere consultation is insufficient. A formal process for ratifying the UCoC enforcement system is necessary.

The UCoC must also be a living document. The community is changing and evolving and so has universal behavior. We know that this is a different document than if it had been created 10 years ago, and we feel that universal norms will be different in 10 years. A way to amend the Universal Code of Conduct must be added, and this amendment process should build on lessons learned to date to ensure that communities and individuals have a chance for meaningful input before any amendment is adopted.

Wikipedia and other projects are only possible because of the hard work of editors at communities to create and maintain the incredible store of knowledge available. This path is longer, but hasty decisions and decisions that lack legitimacy in the eyes of the volunteers they effect could cause real damage to our communities and the work we do. In the words of the Wikimedia Foundation values, "Collaboration is not always easy. Sometimes we struggle. Working together is hard, but it’s worth it. We do it because it makes us stronger." We ask you to be stronger together with us.

Sincerely,

Signing members of the cswiki-arbcomEdit

Signing on behalf of the dewiki-arbcomEdit

For the enwiki-arbcomEdit

Signing members of the frwiki-arbcomEdit

For the plwiki-arbcomEdit

Signing members of the ruwiki-arbcomEdit

Signing members of the ukwiki-arbcomEdit

Signing members of the pswiki-arbcomEdit

Sunday April 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Swanlings grow up together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, and March SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, WMF Resolution about the upcoming Board elections, Community Resilience and Sustainability role in Movement Strategy coordination, Grants Strategy Relaunch, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday April 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although some places may have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 04:18, 23 April 2021 (UTC)