|For legal and security reasons, the Wikimedia Foundation has decided to require two-factor authentication for this role.|
In addition to official investigation, they will mediate between the complainant and the respondent (usually a CheckUser, oversighter, Bureaucrat, Administrator, or arbitration committee member). When legally necessary, the ombuds will assist the General Counsel, the Executive Director or the board in handling the case.
An ombuds' investigation should be conducted in a manner determined by the ombuds to ensure fairness and impartiality. As a general guideline, it is best that ombuds avoid conflicts of interest as much as possible, particularly by avoiding routine use of CheckUser or oversight access and not processing complaints on the projects on which they are very active editors. However, matters that come before the commission are not clear-cut, and the language and culture of various projects may pose barriers to outsiders. As such, how the commission investigates complaints is left to the discretion of its appointed members.
Members of the ombuds commission are selected from the Wikimedia community by Wikimedia Foundation officials. A call for volunteers is issued each year in early December on the Wikimedia-L mailing list and on the talk page of this policy, as well as other project forums as appropriate. They are appointed (assuming they agree) for a period of approximately one year. A non-voting alternate member may be appointed to serve for one year, with an expectation for a seat as a full member the following year.
Ombuds have the following rights globally, among others:
- நீக்கப்பட்ட பக்கங்களை தேடுக (browsearchive)
- பயனீட்டாளரின் IP முகவரிகள் மற்றும் மற்ற தகவல்களை சரிபார் (checkuser)
- பயனர்சரிபார்த்தல் குறிப்பேடு காண் (checkuser-log)
- நீக்கிய வரலாறு உள்ளீடுகளை காண், அதனுடன் தொடர்புடைய உரை இல்லாமல் (deletedhistory)
- நீக்கப்பட்ட உரை மற்றும் நீக்கப்பட்ட பரிசீலனைகளுக்கு இடையேயான மாற்றங்களை காண். (deletedtext)
- தனிப்பட்ட பதிவுகளை பார்க்க (suppressionlog)
- மற்ற பயனரிடமிருந்து மறைக்கப்பட்ட திருத்தங்களைப் பார் (viewsuppressed)
See also automatically generated list (terms expire February 2022):
- Acagastya from enwikinews
- AGK from enwiki
- Ajraddatz from metawiki, wikidata
- Ameisenigel from dewiki
- Emufarmers from enwiki
- Faendalimas from wikispecies
- Galahad from eswikivoyage
- JJMC89 from enwiki
- Moheen from bnwiki
- MrJaroslavik from cswiki
- ProtoplasmaKid from eswiki
- Superpes15 from itwiki
For the prior membership, see here.
Complaints may be made to the Ombuds Commission through the following ways (preferably in a language spoken by one of the members):
Both ways will send message directly to OC mailing list.
Please follow these guidelines when submitting an inquiry to the commission:
- Be concise. Lengthy emails with unnecessary information make it harder for the commission to process the case in a timely manner.
- Be objective. Avoid making inquiries based on speculations or subjective judgements.
- Provide evidence. Please provide us with diff links and/or permanent links when possible.
- Be specific. Specify what part of which policy has been violated.
- Please inform us if your wiki has an Arbitration Committee (or a similar committee) and if you have reached them (or used other dispute resolution procedure customary to your community) before reaching the Ombuds Commission. Provide a link to the relevant case page if appropriate.
Cases brought to our attention will be processed the following way:
- Confirmation of the request: we will send a notice of confirmation to the requester, and if necessary ask for further information.
- Scope: if the request is within the scope of the Ombuds Commission, we will do the investigation, if not we will decline the request and try to direct the complainant to a better place to get help for his/her individual problem.
- Investigation: We do whatever is necessary to find out whether or not there was a breach of the policies or a non-compliance or conflict of local policies with the global ones.
- Board resolutions: Ombudsperson Checkuser (July 2006) — Wikimedia Committees (minutes of presentation on Ombudsman Commission; January 2009) — Amending the Scope of the Ombudsman Commission (November 2015)
- Requests for comment: Scope of Ombudsman Commission (May—December 2013)
- Announcement Ombudsman commission wider scope (January 2016)
- New commission announcements: 2007 — 2009 — 2011 — 2012 — 2013 — 2014 — 2015 — 2016 — 2017 — 2018 – 2019 – 2020 – 2021
- Information on the ombuds global user group:
- Special global permissions