Welcome to Meta!
- I guess making a post to Meta:RFH (but not Meta:RFD for some reason) makes me well-known. Pppery (talk) 21:07, 17 February 2019 (UTC)
Restricted viewer access in WikiJournalsEdit
Hi. A few people mentioned the issue of restricted viewer access to some files, discussions, and user identities. A discussion was added at Talk:WikiJournal#Hidden_contribution and I thought I should notify you incase you wanted to further comment. I'm happy to add a note under your comment if you prefer, but I wanted to avoid spamming the discussion section. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 14:02, 8 June 2019 (UTC)
Some oddities around Module:Documentation / Template:Documentation. Could you please assist?Edit
Hello Pppery, could you please assist me with Module:Documentation? Template:Documentation invokes it and somehow is generating all sorts of lint errors, such as having tt, font, and center tags, yet I cannot find any? Do you have any idea why this might be happening? (an example of a tt error flagged that is just template call, same thing for center, example search). Thank you! --TheSandDoctor Talk 22:06, 22 April 2020 (UTC)
- @TheSandDoctor: Linter is rather far from my area of expertise, but I think that that just means that there is a lint error in the doc page somewhere (in this case, there are
<tt>tags in the parameters section of Template:Please see/doc and
<center>tags in the parameters of Template:User from WMF project/doc). * Pppery * it has begun 22:12, 22 April 2020 (UTC)
Notifying main contributors of the page about XfDEdit
It is generally considered civil to notify the good-faith creator and any main contributors of the articles that you are nominating for deletion.
- I see no point in notifying indefinitely blocked users, because they can't respond. You can see from my user talk namespace contributions that I do generally notify the creators of pages I nominate for deletion. * Pppery * it has begun 19:20, 18 September 2020 (UTC)
BTW you and Fastily fouled up the only live example of table concatenation at en:Wikipedia_talk:Lua/Archive_1 #Returning the concatenation of numerous words. Note that I don’t seek undeletion; I indeed seek apologies. Incnis Mrsi (talk) 21:17, 5 February 2021 (UTC)
Issues with AfroCine MassMessage listEdit
Hello Pppery -- I wondered if you could help me with something. I'm trying to remove my Wikipedia user page from this AfroCine MassMessage list. However, my attempted edit is being repeatedly perceived as spam (it won't allow me to properly unsubscribe). Could you remove me from this list? Alanna the Brave (talk) 00:20, 9 November 2020 (UTC)
Merry Christmas 2021Edit
Identifying Lobby TeamsEdit
Hi, You archived my Community Wishlist Survey 2022 contribution, but I feel I did not express my case clearly enough. Certainly I am aware of tools like masz, but I am more concerned with corporate efforts rather than individual efforts, and such approaches are not subject to stylometric analysis; instead they are more likely to be identified via analysis of relations between editors, as well as areas of contribution.
For instance, it is not unusual, given any area of expertise, for editors to agree most of the time - however, if they agree *all* of the time then their relationship becomes suspect.
Hi, I see you embedded Special:Contribs in your user page. Is there any way I can embed Special:CentralAuth in mine? I tried and it doesn’t work. Thanks in advance, -📜GIFNK📚DLM💻MMXX🏰 (TALK⌚️📱⌨️🖥🖨🕹💽💾💿📀📸📹🎥📽🎞📠📺📻📡🔋CONTRIBS) 13:09, 23 February 2022 (UTC)
- Nope, apparently Special:CentralAuth can't be transcluded, even though Special:Contribs can. * Pppery * it has begun 13:59, 23 February 2022 (UTC)
Oops, thanks for thatEdit
Thanks for pulling out those stray translate tags. Proofread the message a dozen times, but I think I threw the header in at the last minute. Just curious, what effect did those tags have? Xeno (WMF) (talk) 00:44, 25 February 2022 (UTC)
- They made the page appear in the list of pages proposed for translation at Special:PageTranslation, which I've been trying (without much success) to clean out. * Pppery * it has begun 00:45, 25 February 2022 (UTC)
- Ah, that’s sub-optimal indeed. Thanks again! Xeno (WMF) (talk) 00:46, 25 February 2022 (UTC)
- Looking at that page I randomly see user:JSutherland (WMF)/autoTranslationMarkup.js; wonder if that would help, or if you use something similar? Xeno (WMF) (talk) 00:49, 25 February 2022 (UTC)
- No, I prefer do it manually. I've seen so many pages with translation markup that's badly screwed up (but can't be fixed easily since their are already a ton of translations), that I'm not willing to risk using a script (especially one with the known caveat that "Please note that this script outputs markup that does not completely follow the guidelines for translation markup - it tags each line, which is messy"). A few months ago I fixed several pages where that or a similar script interpreted the opening bracket in an an altered quote as the beginning of a URL and added an unclosed tvar tag resulting in literal translate markup appearing -- in 2017 and no one noticed for five years. Even after I did fix the page, no other tadmin marked the fix for translation for another 3 months (which was what lead me to request translation admin rights). * Pppery * it has begun 00:55, 25 February 2022 (UTC)
Hi, Pppery! Thanks for enabling translation for Web2Cit/Early adopters. I saw your comment in your edition's summary and I apologize I hadn't completed all the preparation tasks I was expected to. Actually, I just followed the steps here, where it just says that I have to wrap the whole content between <translate></translate>. I didn't know I had to split the content into translate chunks, or that I had to wrap variables. Maybe the tutorial should be updated to better reflect this? What do you think? Thanks again! Diegodlh (talk) 03:24, 28 February 2022 (UTC)
- I've copied this to mw:Help talk:Extension:Translate/Page translation example#Should mention more about segmentation?. There is some documentation about proper translate markup at mw:Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation administration#Segmentation and locally at Meta:Internationalization guidelines, but both of those are directed at translate admins like myself, not end users like you, so you raise a valid point. * Pppery * it has begun 03:32, 28 February 2022 (UTC)
- Also, for what it's worth, I didn't expect you to do it perfectly (as you can tell, it took me 5 edits to properly prepare the page and even then I made a formatting mistake that I didn't catch until just now). All I was expecting was some effort in markup segmentation and tvaring content that isn't translatable like filenames and bits of code. * Pppery * it has begun 03:38, 28 February 2022 (UTC)
Grammar error on articleEdit
I actually caused the grammar error on the Wikimedia_Highlights,_September_2012 page about 10 years ago. I thought I should at least fix it since it's not grammatically correct to read "the Curation Toolbar, which appears next to a new page, offering..." Offering should be "offers," or else it's a sentence fragment with no active verb. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by OjdvQ9fNJWl (talk)