Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Alliances Fund/fa
Who we fund
The Wikimedia Alliances Fund supports mission-aligned organizations, which work in regions and communities that are underrepresented in our movement, and can partner with the Wikimedia Movement to amplify each other's work.
The Wikimedia Alliances Fund supports organizations that can contribute toward the strategic direction of the Wikimedia Movement, especially those that promote knowledge equity. We emphasize the need for underrepresented communities and historically marginalized communities in the movement to have access to resources they need to accomplish their goals. Programs from mission-aligned organizations and groups can focus on supporting contributors, editors, content, awareness, skill-building initiatives, advocacy efforts, strategic planning and developing stable partnerships with local Wikimedia communities and Wikimedia projects.
- Which organizations can apply for the Wikimedia Alliance Fund program?
- Organizations that have missions that are aligned with the Wikimedia movement, in an underrepresented/emerging community and have a proposal to collaborate directly with the Wikimedia Community and/or Wikimedia projects.
- Will for-profit organizations be eligible for funding?
- We are focused on working with non-profit organizations. However, we understand that some mission led organizations have adopted different organizational structures, and we want to ensure we have an opportunity to assess the fit of their proposals for impact. Please be in contact with the Wikimedia Alliances PO if you have a different status.
Types of funding
- Rapid funds for activities that are time bound and have a clear collaboration with the local Wikimedia communities. Eg: edit-a-thons, hack-a-thons, meet-ups, celebrations, campaigns.
- Programmatic support can be towards furthering ongoing activities, programs, initiatives. It can also be used to ideate, incubate or build new systems of collaboration with the free knowledge ecosystem. Overhead expenses of up to 30% will be allowed to support the stability of partner organizations.
Review of applications and decision
- Applications submitted by the organisations will be reviewed and approved by the Regional Grants Committees. See application guide.
- Regional Grants Committee members will receive support from the Regional and Alliance Fund Program Officers. Program proposals will be awarded for one year. Grantees can renew their funding if they fulfill their objectives and upon recommendation of the Regional Grants Committees.
Application forms and guides for Programmatic Support
Application Form for Alliances Fund in English.
You can also find the Google Docs version.
- This is a new funding category and our goal is to ensure applicants have the support needed to be successful.
- Before applying to the Alliances Fund potential applicants are required to email the Alliances Fund Program officer (alliances_fundwikimedia.org) to ensure alignment and fit for the new fund. Applicants will then be given the opportunity to have 2 hours of proposal development support.
- Once the application is submitted it will go into the review and deliberation process of the regional committee.
Timeline and Budget
Fiscal Year 2022-23
|Round 1 (next)||Round 2 (not yet)|
|Region||Application Due||Announcement||Application Due||Announcement|
|Middle East and Africa||جمعه ۹ سپتامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۱۰ نوامبر ۲۰۲۲||جمعه ۱۰ مارس ۲۰۲۳||پنجشنبه ۱۱ مه ۲۰۲۳|
|CEE and Central Asia Community + Alliances Fund||جمعه ۹ سپتامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۱۰ نوامبر ۲۰۲۲||جمعه ۱۰ مارس ۲۰۲۳||پنجشنبه ۱۱ مه ۲۰۲۳|
|United States and Canada Community + Alliances Fund||پنجشنبه ۸ سپتامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۱۰ نوامبر ۲۰۲۲||جمعه ۱۰ مارس ۲۰۲۳||پنجشنبه ۱۱ مه ۲۰۲۳|
|Latin America and The Caribbean Community + Alliances Fund||پنجشنبه ۲۹ سپتامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۸ دسامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۱۰ مارس ۲۰۲۳||پنجشنبه ۱۱ مه ۲۰۲۳|
|Northern and Western Europe Community + Alliances Fund||پنجشنبه ۲۹ سپتامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۸ دسامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۲ مارس ۲۰۲۳||پنجشنبه ۴ مه ۲۰۲۳|
|ESEAP (East Asia & Pacific) Community + Alliances Fund||پنجشنبه ۲۹ سپتامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۸ دسامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۱۶ مارس ۲۰۲۳||پنجشنبه ۱۸ مه ۲۰۲۳|
|South Asia Community + Alliances Fund||پنجشنبه ۲۹ سپتامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۸ دسامبر ۲۰۲۲||پنجشنبه ۱۶ مارس ۲۰۲۳||پنجشنبه ۱۸ مه ۲۰۲۳|
Fiscal Year 2021-22
In 2021-22 year, there are two application rounds.
- Round 1
- November – December 2021
- Upper limit of the fund per proposal: 100,000 USD
|Activity||Dates for first regions round 1*||Estimated time|
|Program Officer working with grantees to prepare their application||۱ نوامبر-۱۵ نوامبر ۲۰۲۱||15 days|
|Applicants working on final submission of application||۱۵ نوامبر-۳۰||15 days|
|Final Submission Deadline||۳۰ نوامبر|
|Committee / Staff Reviews||۱ دسامبر-۱۵||15 days|
|Applicants Engaging with Committee Feedback||۲۲ دسامبر-۲۶||5 days|
|Proposal adjustment if needed||۲۶ دسامبر-۳۰||5 days|
|Final review and decision||۱ ژانویه-۶||5 days|
- Round 2: February – May 2022
- Upper limit of the fund per proposal - 100,000 USD
Applicants from the following funding regions: CEE and Central Asia, USA and Canada, Latin America and The Caribbean, Middle East and Africa.
|Activity||Dates for group A, round 2||Estimated time|
|Program Officer working with grantees to prepare their application||۱ فوریه - ۴ مارس ۲۰۲۲||One month|
|Applicants working on final submission of application||۴ مارس - ۱۷ ۲۰۲۲||Two weeks|
|Final Submission Deadline||۱۸ مارس ۲۰۲۲|
|Committee Review, Staff Review, Community Review||۲۱ مارس - ۱۱ آوریل ۲۰۲۲||Two weeks|
|Applicants Engaging with Committee Feedback||۱۱ آوریل - ۲۸ ۲۰۲۲||Three weeks (accounting for holiday)|
|Proposal adjustment if needed||۱۱ آوریل - ۲۸ ۲۰۲۲||Three weeks (accounting for holiday)|
|Final review and decision||۱۸ مه ۲۰۲۲|
|Appeal process if needed||(TBD)|
Applicants from the following funding regions: Northern & Western Europe, South Asia, and ESEAP.
|Activity||Dates for group B, round 2||Estimated time|
|Program Officer working with grantees to prepare their application||۲۸ فوریه - ۳۱ مارس ۲۰۲۲||One month|
|Applicants working on final submission of application||۱ آوریل - ۱۴ ۲۰۲۲||Two weeks|
|Final Submission Deadline||۱۴ آوریل ۲۰۲۲|
|Committee Review, Staff Review, Community Review||۱۶ آوریل - ۱ مه ۲۰۲۲||Two weeks|
|Applicants Engaging with Committee feedback||۲ مه - ۱۳ ۲۰۲۲||Two weeks|
|Proposal adjustment if needed||۲ مه - ۱۳ ۲۰۲۲||Two weeks|
|Final decision||۲۹ مه ۲۰۲۲|
|Appeal process if needed||(TBD)|
Funded organisations will be provided a template to complete the following:
- Midterm learning report
- Midterm conversation between PO and grantee partners
- Final or yearly learning report
Final conversation between PO and grantee partners
|General information||Midterm learning report||Midterm conversation between Program Officers and Grantee Partners||Final learning report||Final conversation between Program Officers and Grantee Partners|
|Is it required?||Obligatory for grantee partners required to present this report. If payments are in installments the payment will be made after the presentation of this report and the conversation with Program Officers within 2 weeks of this submission.||Obligatory for grantee partners required to present this report.||Obligatory for grantee partners required to present this report.
Multi-year grantee partners will use this format for their yearly learning reports. They should report one year at a time, rather than the cumulative multi-year period. Non-multi-year grantee partners (with funding for 1 year or less) will use this template to report on the final learning and results, including the period already reported on in the midterm learning report.
|Obligatory for grantee partners required to present this learning report|
|Who is responsible?||Grantee partners||Program Officers (POs) schedule the call and register the conversation. grantee partners will have access to the conversation report on Fluxx and will be able to edit the conversation registration.||Grantee partners partners||Program Officers (POs) schedule the call and register the conversation. grantee partners will have access to the conversation report on Fluxx and will be able to edit the conversation registration.|
|When?||In the middle of the grant implementation. Reporting dates will depend on each grantee partner according to their project timelines. These dates are found on Fluxx.||Once the report has been analysed by the Program Officer. Between 2-4 weeks after submission.||One month after the end of the grant implementation.||Once the final (or yearly) report has been analysed by the Program Officer. Between 2-4 weeks after submission.|
|How will it be used?||
This learning report is aimed at:
|This conversation is aimed at a deeper reflection based on the analysis of the report. It is also used to give the Foundation feedback on ways to better support grantee partner's work.||
This learning report is aimed at:
|This conversation is aimed at a deeper reflection based on the analysis of the report. It is also used to give the Foundation feedback on ways to better support grantee partner's work in the future.|
|Where will it be filled out?||On Fluxx||On Fluxx||On Fluxx||On Fluxx|
|Will it be published on Meta?||Yes||No||Yes||No|
Midterm Learning Report
Program Officer Conversation (Midterm)
Final Learning Report
Program Officer Conversation (Final)
All organizations should be compliant with Wikimedia Foundation’s requirements for funding. An eligibility check will be conducted before the review process. This step will be coordinated by the Program Officer (PO) for The Wikimedia Alliances Fund, with support from the Grants Admin team and regional POs if necessary.
Applicants to the Wikimedia Alliances Fund should also have demonstrable experience with Wikimedia projects, communities, or organizations directly related to the proposal prior to submission. Proposals primarily focused on building introductory experience with Wikimedia projects or communities are ineligible for review.
- Within the new learning and evaluation framework, we are focusing on developing metrics, both qualitative and quantitative, that make sense to each fund recipient based on: their theory of change - how they expect to bring about change with their work, what they need to ask to see if this change has been achieved and what data they need to collect to answer these questions.
- In this sense, we will be working as partners with applicants so that they can think through this process to define what is desirable and possible to measure, what are the available tools, how this data will be analyzed and used to learn and share with relevant stakeholders.
In the new learning and evaluation framework, we emphasize collecting data that will be used for analyzing and learning together, not just collected data per se. We will establish spaces for data analysis as thought partners, for instance through conversations between program officers and grantees, as well as continuous peer-to-peer learning spaces between grantees. This allows for more general reflections on impactful strategies and learning across all grantees.
It is recommended that organisations applying for the Wikimedia Alliances Fund would have a local wiki community advisor who can support in the development and implementation of the proposal.
The Wikimedia Alliances Fund Program Officer would offer the following support to applicants during the proposal development process:
- Provide background and context overview of local Wikimedia communities
- Drafting and revision of application
- Support in using Wiki platforms i.e. meta, mailing lists for (reporting and documentation)
- Introductions to possible community contacts for collaboration
- How is the Wikimedia Alliances Fund different from the Knowledge Equity Fund?
- The Wikimedia Alliances Fund hopes to build capacities across the larger free knowledge movement, which would have a positive effect on the development of the Wikimedia projects and communities as well. Programs from mission-aligned organizations and groups can focus on supporting contributors, editors, content, awareness, skill-building initiatives, advocacy efforts, while developing stable partnerships with local Wikimedia communities and Wikimedia projects.
- The Knowledge Equity Fund provides grants to external organizations that support knowledge equity by addressing the racial inequities preventing access and participation in free knowledge. As the scope of the work of the five major themes is broad, there is no expectation or requirement for them to work directly on wiki projects or with the community.
- How many proposals will be funded at any one time? Especially during the first year?
- As this is a new program, we do not have a set target of proposals to support. We have an initial budget of 700,000 USD, which will be assessed after the first round of proposals. This is approximately 6% of the overall Wikimedia Foundation Fund budget.
- Which program proposals will the Wikimedia Alliance Fund prioritize?
- Any idea/initiative that has a clear impact and is aligned with the mission of the Wikimedia movement. We will prioritize efforts that support development of the Free Knowledge Ecosystem and Knowledge Equity focused on underrepresented communities.
- Can an organization apply for multiple Wikimedia Alliances Funds?
- Organizations who have one Wikimedia Alliance Fund will not be eligible to apply again in the same year and must have their final report approved before another application is considered.
- How can an organization appeal against Regional Committees', or Program Officer's decision?
- At this time we do not foresee an appeals process for Wikimedia Alliances Fund.
- Who will make the final decision on the funding requests?
- The Grants Committee of the region (where the applicant organisation is based) will make the final decision on the funding request.
- Can a Wikimedia Affiliate or group apply for the Wikimedia Alliances?
- We hope that a Wikimedia affiliate or group will partner with Aligned organizations in the proposal, however the Fund recipient would be the partner organization. Wikimedians should apply for funding through the Community Fund.
- How do I find Wikimedia affiliates or other potential partner organisations in my region to submit a proposal with?
- We recommend that you reach out to your local WIkimedia affiliate if applicable and/or reach out the Alliances Program Officer alliances_fundwikimedia.org
- How do I learn about support for the metrics and reporting
- Conversation hours by the Learning and Evaluation Program Officer are announced on the Knowledge and Sharing meta page.
- What languages can the application be submitted in?
- Applications can be submitted in any language
- I am not sure if the WMF can give grants to my country. How do I find out, and what can be done if it might not be possible?
- As a USA 501c3, we have certain restrictions around funding. Here is the current list of countries and their funding status. Please do reach out to the Wikimedia Alliances PO if you have a question about your country, and we can discuss the possibilities of funding.
- Note: Reporting dates will be adapted to each grantee partner according to their project timelines. Grantee partners will be able to see their proposed reporting dates on the portal on Fluxx. If you have any doubts or concerns about these dates please reach out to your Program Officer. Likewise, if you have any doubts about how to submit these reports or how they will be used.