Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Alliances Fund/各地街景踏查團 2023 Group for capturing Street-level Images in Taiwan 2023
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
Applicant information Edit
A. Organization type
- Mission-aligned organization
B. Organization name
- OpenStreetMap Taiwan
E. Do you have an account on a Wikimedia project?
E1. Please provide the main Wikimedia Username (required) and Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Supaplex@wikidata, Supaplex@zh.wikipedia
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
- H1. Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
- Wikimedia Foundation - G-AF-2111-07478 - OpenStreetMap Taiwan
各地街景踏查團 2022 Group for capturing Street-level Images in Taiwan 2022 Open Knowledge Foundation - Open Data Day mini-grants
- H2. Please state the size of these grants from the following options.
- Between 5,000-50,000 USD
- H3. What type of organization (s) did you receive grants from?
- International NGO
- H4. What percentage of your program budget do other funders contribute to?
- More than 75%
1. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
1a. Fiscal organization name.
2. Are you legally registered?
3. What type of organization are you?
4. What is your organization or group's mission and how does it align with the Wikimedia movement?
- OpenStreetMap Taiwan works on open geo data. And we work closing with Wikidata Taiwan for events like Open Data Day annually, or monthly OSM x Wikidata meetup in Taiwan
5. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OpenStreetMap.TW
Grant proposal Edit
6. Please state the title of your proposal.
- 各地街景踏查團 2023 Group for capturing Street-level Images in Taiwan 2023
9. Where will this proposal be implemented?
10. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries?
10a. If you have answered international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
10b. Are there any specific sub-regions or areas where your proposal will be implemented?
- We will travel from Taipei, the city with the most OpenStreetMap community members, to another area around the Northern part of Taiwan, the Central part of Taiwan, and the Southern part of Taiwan. Due to the limited resource, we will not consider the Eastern part of Taiwan and those islands around Taiwan in 2023.
11. What is the challenge or problem you are addressing and why is this important?
- We want to tackle the challenge of the uneven distribution of OpenStreetMap contributors and map data. And by capturing street-level images, we could bring more people to use the captured images as a source to edit OpenStreetMap in front of their computers. They do not have to have an on-site survey for collecting data.
12. What is the main objective of your proposal? Please state why you think partnering with Wikimedia Movement helps to achieve this objective?
- We want to travel and while traveling, we could also capture street-level images for OpenStreetMap editing, and also contribute to Wiki Commons by selecting images from viewpoints and attractions to upload to Wiki Commons. We can combine forces together to benefit both OpenStreetMap and WIki Commons projects.
13. Describe your main strategies to achieve this objective?
- We want to do the hard work: go on-site and capture street-level images for everyone who is contributing to OpenStreetMap and Wiki Commons. And by driving a car with a device that could capture 360 images, we can record points of interest by machine and by the human brain. The people who could not go on-site frequently could rely on our on-site surveys, and add stuff on OpenStreetMap, or upload critical viewpoints' and attractions' images on Wiki Commons.
14. Are you running any in-person events or activities?
15. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified content knowledge gaps?
- Geography, Language
16. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or thematic focus.
- Culture, heritage or GLAM , Climate Change and sustainability
17. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Select all categories that apply.
- Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language
18. Please tell us more about your target participants.
- We are an on-site survey group who also contribute to OpenStreetMap, and occasionally Wikidata editors, who link Wikidata to OpenStreetMap objects, and also vice versa - linking OpenStreetMap objects to Wikidata. So by sponsoring travel expenses, we can increase the coverage of street-level images in Taiwan, adding a reliable source to edit OpenStreetMap, and also the possibility of viewpoints and attractions photos.
19. Do you have plans to work with other Wikimedia communities, groups or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
19a. If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- We are in a good relationship with the Wikidata Taiwan community, and also the legal entry of the Wikimedia Movement in Taiwan, the Wikimedia Taiwan. We will kindly ask for their help to promote our events, and the possibility to have a joint event with Wikimedia Taiwan and other Wikimedia communities in Taiwan
19b. If no, please tell us the reasons why it has not been possible to make these connections.
20. Will you be working with other external non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
20a. If yes, please describe these partnerships.
20a. If yes, indicate sharing of resources from these partners (in kind support, grants, donations, payments).
21. Please tell us how your organization is structured.
- OpenStreetMap Taiwan has members around Taiwan. But recently there is only OSM x Wikidata in Taipei is regularly held. For the proposal, we have members from the monthly meetup, and with the help of Wikimedia Taiwan, they will assist us with the fund management.
22. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
- Jeff Huang - email@example.com
Hsieh Chin Fan -firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Huang and Hsieh Chin Fan, two members from OpenStreetMap Taiwan, are the core members of OSM x Wikidata monthly meetup in Taipei. They have driver's licenses, we could rent a car if only the core members join our effect to capture street-level images. If there are many people who want to join our project, then we could rent more cars and they can lead the group, teaching other participants how to record images and points of interest while the on-site survey. We have a flexible plan whether it is a small group or a big group.
23. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation Edit
24. What do you hope to learn from this proposal?
- It is a challenge for us to execute a proposal that big. We will not judge by the number of people due to people having a different focus when they join OpenStreetMap or Wikimedia Movement. So we will judge by how many street-level images we captured during our journey. And we will count the people who participate in our map editing events, making sure not only do we have time to process our street-level images, but also bring new people to join our project - both OpenStreetMap and Wikidata.
Core Metrics Edit
25. Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of participants||6 on-site survey On-site survey: total 15, new participants 10 6 meetup Meetup: 20, new participants 15||210|
|Number of editors||We will predict that people who join our meetup will bring their computers, and if they are new to Wikimedia projects, they will register by our guide||120|
|Number of organizers||We will have drivers, meetup speakers for on-site surveys and meetup events. And also planners for whole year events.||3|
|Wikimedia Commons||10 attractions or viewpoints photos upload to Wikimedia Commons per on-site event.||60|
|Wikidata||Add Wiki Commons photo links to Wikidata correspond items, 5 per on-site event||30|
|Wikipedia||Update or add photos to correspond Wikipedia articles, 2 per on-site event||12|
|Wikivoyage||Update or add photos to correspond Wikivoyage articles, 2 per on-site event||12|
25a. If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation. (optional)
- We will also include metrics for the OpenStreetMap project, counting the street-level images, 1,000 per on-site event. The total numbers are 6,000.
26. What other information will you be collecting to learn about the impact of your work? (optional)
- The coverage of Street-level images improvement that we made.
27. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
- We will open the Outreach dashboard(https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/) per event, and keep track of the contribution of Wikimedia-related projects.
And for the coverage of street-level images, we will use the Mapillary and KartaView static of images taken and the length of streets we recorded.
28. How do you hope to share these results so that others can learn from them?
- Make a short presentation of the experience, Share results on social media, Share results with our communities, Participate in one on one peer sharing session with other grantees, Share it on Meta-Wiki
Financial Proposal Edit
29. What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 323112 TWD
30. What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 10190.49 USD
31. & 32. Please provide a budget for the amount of funding requested.
33. What do you do to make sure there is a good management of funds?
- We will ask the assistance of Wikimedia Taiwan, making sure the whole fund is well managed. And only handle the money if there is a need, like buying devices or preparing travel expenses.
34. How will you contribute towards creating a supportive environment for participants using the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy?
- We will ask participants if they want to be photographed or how to mention their sex when they signup for the event and remind them of the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy. If anyone violates the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy, we will ask the person to leave if he does not obey the regulations
35. Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
Final message Edit
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.