Open main menu

Contents

Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal ClinicsEdit

Hello, Slowking4! We've added Events to IdeaLab, and you're invited :)

Upcoming events focus on turning ideas into Individual Engagement Grant proposals before the March 31 deadline. Need help or have questions about IEG? Join us at a Hangout:

  • Thursday, 13 March 2014, 1600 UTC
  • Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 1700 UTC
  • Saturday, 29 March 2014, 1700 UTC

Hope to see you there!

This message was delivered automatically to IEG and IdeaLab participants. To unsubscribe from any future IEG reminders, remove your name from this list

Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decitionsEdit

The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.

If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on change.org.

I'm notifying you because you participated in one of several relevant discussions. -Pete F (talk) 22:20, 20 August 2014 (UTC)

added Art+Feminism grantsEdit

Hello Slowking4, I thought you would be interested to know that we expanded the IdeaLab post into two grants: an IEG grant, and a PEG grant this week We welcome your comments, questions, and endorsement. --Theredproject (talk) 14:10, 3 October 2014 (UTC)

Please fill out our Inspire campaign surveyEdit

Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!

Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.



Many thanks,

Jmorgan (WMF) (talk), on behalf of the IdeaLab team.

23:36, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

This message was delivered automatically to Inspire campaign participants. To unsubscribe from any future IdeaLab reminders, remove your name from this list

Community discussion on harassment reportingEdit

There are many current proposals as part of the 2015 Inspire Campaign related to harassment management. I’ve created a page, Grants:IdeaLab/Community discussion on harassment reporting meant to serve as a central space where the various stakeholders in these proposals and other community members can discuss which methods might serve our community best so that we can unify our ideas into collective action. I encourage you to join the conversation and contribute your ideas! OR drohowa (talk) 01:13, 22 April 2015 (UTC)

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?Edit

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:24, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Last call for WMF grants feedback!Edit

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:09, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

Talk of FridayEdit

Hi Slowking4, are going to have a presentation on Friday, at the Wikisource Conference? How much time do you need? I have to find you a spot in the program (there's plenty for now :-). Please let me know asap. --Aubrey (talk) 21:12, 14 November 2015 (UTC)

hi Aubrey , i have prepared some slides, since you have me arriving late thursday, i would prefer the afternoon slot, but fell free to put me in where available (i hear the coffee is strong) Slowking4 (talk) 04:16, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
thanks Slowking4, it depends on what you are talking about. If it is good as an introduction or something, it's better the morning. What is the topic? --Aubrey (talk) 09:06, 16 November 2015 (UTC)
If it's ok with you, I would say late morning... --Aubrey (talk) 15:43, 16 November 2015 (UTC)

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?Edit

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:33, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

Thank you for taking part in the Community Health learning campaign!Edit

 
Community Health learning campaign - Analysis Report of Community Responses
 
Thank you!

Hi,
apologies for writing in English, if this is not your first language.
I want to thank you once more for engaging in conversation on the Community Health learning campaign. It took us a while, but we can finally announce the winner of the prize, as well as share the outcomes of this conversation.

You might also be interested in taking part in the 2015 Harassment consultation. This is the first of several planned consultations on this topic, intended to provide a place to discuss ideas, concerns, proposals and possible solutions regarding Wikimedia communities’ harassment-related challenges.

This conversation would not have been the same without you. If you have more ideas, or follow up comments on the findings of the campaign, don't hesitate to leave me a message my talk page.

Have a great day,

María

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:04, 22 December 2015 (UTC)

First in line!Edit

Thank you. :D I really appreciate your input. --Maggie Dennis (WMF) (talk) 15:57, 18 January 2016 (UTC)

i appreciate the effort, tried pushing at facebook; we'll see. Slowking4 (talk) 16:07, 18 January 2016 (UTC)

Future IdeaLab Campaigns resultsEdit

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:56, 26 January 2016 (UTC)

Harassment workshopEdit

Greetings! You are receiving this message because, at some point in the past, you have participated in a discussion around the topic of harassment. The Support and Safety team is holding a series of consultations gathering feedback on the best potential solutions to the problem. The next stage is a workshop where we hope to narrow the focus to individual actionable ideas and explore how to bring some of these ideas to life.

Best regards, the Support and Safety team via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:35, 17 February 2016 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign on content curation & reviewEdit

I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Open Call for Individual Engagement GrantsEdit

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:57, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Survey on content curation & review Inspire CampaignEdit

Thanks for your participation in IdeaLab during the Inspire Campaign focused on improving content curation & review processes from February to March 2016. I'm interested in hearing your feedback about your participation during campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating.

Immediate results of the campaign can be found here. Please feel free to review them and let me know if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 02:31, 26 May 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Re: AGFEdit

I still believe that most users are rooted in AGF. WMF is a degeneration of the worse, but perhaps you're right that they're rather a degeneration of what's worse in each of us. Nemo 06:25, 31 May 2016 (UTC)

yep, we get the culture we deserve. the naive newbies who AGF are constantly bitten by the cynical admins or staff. the high handed command style of "leadership" is based on ignorance. we won't change because we don't want to learn. Slowking4 (talk) 12:18, 31 May 2016 (UTC)

Participate in the Inspire Campaign and help address harassment!Edit

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:47, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)

Thank youEdit

Hi Slowking4! First of all I wish to thank you for your support for the idea "More culture, less harassment". I think you have perfectly understood my meaning. Maybe someone else will go on with the project, I intend to stop here. I watched on you tube your presentation at the Wikimedia Diversity Conference in Washington, it was very interesting. I gave my support for your idea of training ambassadors. My opinion is that it is really necessary to do something for creating a new and better atmosphere in Wikipedia. Best regards, --Kenzia (talk) 17:18, 22 June 2016 (UTC)

Thank you very much for your message. It's very kind of you. I confess I'm a little discouraged. Besides, it seems to me that you are the only one who understood the meaning of my idea. I'll write to Wittylama, following your suggestion. --Kenzia (talk) 06:50, 26 June 2016 (UTC)

Survey on Inspire Campaign for addressing harassmentEdit

Thanks for your participation during the Inspire Campaign focused on addressing harassment from June 2016. I'm interested in hearing your experience during the campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating.

Please feel free to let me know on my talk page if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 03:23, 10 September 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Whose Knowledge? user group updateEdit

Hi! Thanks for joining the Whose Knowledge user group - we’re so glad to have you involved!

Here are some updates about recent activities:

  • User group approved: Our user group was officially approved in October - hooray! Big thanks to Raystorm and FloNight for the idea to create a user group for the Whose Knowledge? campaign :)
  • Mapping feminist knowledge at AWID's 2016 Forum: Interested in learning more about what we’ve been doing lately? Read our blog post on what we learned from mapping feminist knowledge at Association for Women's Rights in Developments 2016 Forum.
  • New grant proposal:
    • We’ve proposed a WMF project grant. It would be great to have your feedback and/or endorsement by November 1 if this project interests you!
    • It would also be great to have your help notifying communities already working on systemic bias about this proposal. Here is a draft message to use if you'd like - please translate, change as you see fit for your own context, and share in any communities you’re active in on and off-wiki!

Looking forward to doing more together very soon! Siko (talk) 02:05, 18 October 2016 (UTC)

Logotype for Connected Open HeritageEdit

 
The new official Connected Open Heritage logotype.

Hi!

After the public consultation we have decided to pick Logo 1 as the new logotype for Connected Open Heritage. There was a great set of options and the decision was not easy. Thank you kindly for your work and your creativity!

Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 13:02, 22 November 2016 (UTC) (on behalf of the COH team)

EB1911Edit

Good to hear from you and to have such a helpful message. Did you mean half way through volume 12 or half way through to volume 12.5? Let me know and I'll add a message to Wikipedia:Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Encyclopaedia Britannica to get some additional helpers. -- PBS (talk) 20:45, 28 November 2016 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge? News - February 2017Edit

Thanks for all of your support for Whose Knowledge? so far! Get ready, we're going to need lots of your help in 2017 :)

What's new in 2017:

1. Volunteers needed

As Whose Knowledge? grows, there are lots of things to do! Can you help?

  • Are you good with data entry, categories, mailing lists or social media? We especially need people to help with organizing knowledge for Dalit History Month, and building out our communications (including this monthly newsletter!) right now!
  • If you're interested in volunteering for these or any other projects, please signup here

2. Pilot projects

Building partnerships and testing our approach with marginalized communities.

  • Dalit History Month: We're working with Equality Labs to support Dalit communities in South Asia and the United States to map knowledge and create Wikipedia content. Dalit History Month edit-a-thons are coming in April!
  • Women's Human Rights Defenders: In partnership with Urgent Action Fund, we'll be supporting a group of women's human rights defenders around the world with more mapping and wiki content creation. Themes and geographies coming soon!
  • Kumeyaay Wikipedia Initiative: Following the 2016 Indigenous People's Day edit-a-thon, we're continuing to work with members of the Kumeyaay tribe in Southern California and Baja to map and contribute indigenous knowledge to Wikimedia projects. A discussion day with Kumeyaay community in San Diego is being planned for May.

3. Funding

We've got financial support for 2017!

  • WMF grant: 6-month funding (February-July 2017) was approved to pilot our approach to mapping knowledge and creating Wikipedia content with the Dalit community and global women's human rights defenders. Thanks for all your endorsements!
  • Shuttleworth Fellowship: Anasuya is a Shuttleworth Fellow! This means we'll be able to spend more time organizing, and have support for convenings, campaign infrastructure, etc.

4. Wikimedia Strategy

Find us at Wikimedia Conference.

  • Anasuya and Siko will be carrying the Whose Knowledge? vision of diversity, pluralism and representation of marginalized communities into movement strategy conversations in Berlin March 2017.
  • What's your vision for the Wikimedia movement? If you have a perspective that you'd like us to help represent in Berlin, please reach out and let us know!

In solidarity,

Siko (talk) 23:55, 7 February 2017 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign survey on outreach to outside knowledge networksEdit

Thanks for your participation during the Inspire Campaign focused on outreach to outside knowledge networks from February 2017. I'm interested in hearing your experience during the campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating. I want to improve how campaigns are run, so let me know if there's something that could be done better for next time.

Please feel free to let me know on my talk page if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 18:34, 31 March 2017 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Survey link error fixedEdit

Hi there, there was a error with the Inspire survey link that caused the survey to be shown as expired, but has now been fixed. The link in the above message should now bring you to the survey. Apologies, I JethroBT (WMF) 19:20, 31 March 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge?: [April 2017]Edit

Whose Knowledge  News
April 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 2
Activities and Events:
Dalit History Month Events; Wikimania 2017 submissions
Resources:
Resources lists
Wikimedia Movement:
Wikimedia Strategy: Knowledge is Global
  About Whose Knowledge?
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

We hope you enjoy this issue of the Whose Knowledge? News. Please reach out to us if you have any ideas or suggestions! -- Saileshpat using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:47, 1 May 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge?: [July 2017]Edit

Whose Knowledge  News
July 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 3
Activities and Events:
Okvir pilot in Bosnia and Herzegovina; Wikimania 2017
Resources:
Emancipatory Design Research
Wikimedia Movement:
Letter from Buenos Aires
  About Whose Knowledge?
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

We hope you enjoy this issue of the '''Whose Knowledge?''' News. Please reach out to us if you have any ideas or suggestions! -- Saileshpat using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:18, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

Welcome to the Structured Commons focus group!Edit

Hello! Thank you very much for signing up to the community focus group for Structured Commons :-)

How to organize ourselves?

This focus group is new and experimental, and I welcome your tips and thoughts on how we can organize this in the most convenient and productive way. For now, I have posted a few separate topics on the focus group's talk page. Please add your questions there too! If we all add that page to our watchlist, that's probably a good way to stay up to date with current discussions. Steinsplitter has also initiated a brand new IRC channel specifically for Structured Commons: wikimedia-commons-sd (webchat) which we invite you to join. Please let me know if you have other ideas on how to work together.

Current updates

Warmly, your community liaison, SandraF (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 13:34, 25 October 2017 (UTC)

Welcome to the Dispute Resolution Focus GroupEdit

Hi Slowking4,

Thank you for signing up, and welcome to the dispute resolution focus group!

Read over the focus group introduction to get started.

Then read through the first module, which begins now and ends on Monday. The first module will be conducted via email, while later modules will be conducted on a separate page. We will provide additional logistical information as the focus group progresses.

Thanks again! JosephNegotiation (talk) 22:58, 9 November 2017 (UTC)

Structured Commons focus group update, Nov 21, 2017Edit

Hello! You are receiving this message because you signed up for the the community focus group for Structured Commons :-)

IRC office hour today, 21 November, 18.00 UTC
  • The IRC office hour about Structured Commons takes place at 18:00 UTC in wikimedia-office webchat. Amanda, Ramsey and I will give updates about the project, and you can ask us questions. The log will be published afterwards.
Tools update

Many important community tools for Commons and Wikidata will benefit from an update to structured data in the future. You can help indicate which tools will need attention:

Warmly, your community liaison SandraF (WMF) (talk) 16:27, 21 November 2017 (UTC)

Structured Commons focus group update, December 11, 2017Edit

Hello! You are receiving this message because you signed up for the community focus group for Structured Commons :-)

Later this week, a full newsletter will be distributed, but you are the first to receive an update on new requests for feedback.

Three requests for feedback
  1. We received many additions to the spreadsheet that collects important Commons and Wikidata tools. Thank you! Now, you can participate in a survey that helps us understand and prioritize which tools and functionalities are most important for the Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata communities. The survey runs until December 22. Here's some background.
  2. Help the team decide on better names for 'captions' and 'descriptions'. You can provide input until January 3, 2018.
  3. Help collect interesting Commons files, to prepare for the data modelling challenges ahead! Continuous input is welcome there.

Warmly, your community liaison SandraF (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) - 16:40, 11 December 2017 (UTC)

Why not join the Simple English Wikipedia?Edit

Hello Slowking4,

I can honestly see why you’ve evaded your block so much, you keep reading the English Wikipedia, personally I would advise you not to do it (don't try to acquire free knowledge? Why?), I personally avoid reading the English Wikipedia like the plague, I did it a few weeks ago and I came across an article with so many errors, some sections were unsourced with easy to find sources, some templates didn’t manifest correctly because the wrong parameters were set, there was some hoax information that no one removed in years, and I realised that I had the urge to improve that article, so I quickly closed the tab and now that article (and many others) are still obsessively calling to me every day, so I just avoid reading the English Wikipedia unless I really have to because when you’re used to editing and improving the encyclopedia losing “the privilege” (as the English ArbCom called it) of editing the encyclopedia “anyone can edit” becomes too much, but as the Standard Offer essay was given to me I don't have much choice, blocks are wholly punitive, and so is yours, if you're blocked for uploading bad images then they should develop software to just prevent you from uploading them, the articles you created while evading your block had nothing to do with your block and that’s why I wanted the specialised blocking tools to be a thing, the world is losing quality content because editors are given the full ban hammer for issues could be isolated, and should be individually appealed. Anyhow, as difficult as it sounds (since Wikipedia pops up with every search ) I would advise you not read the English Wikipedia, and maybe even go to the Simple English Wikipedia to write those articles you made and import them after you’ve been unblocked. Honestly in my case I didn't even want to stay on the Dutch Wikipedia as long as I’m now, but because of my prior global lock (which some admins there claimed was a global ban because policies should only be selectively interpreted) I actually started translating a bit more articles than I initially wanted (also because the internal standard offer reads that if you don't do anything on other projects that that alone is a reason for rejection). That aside I’ve been wanting to go to English Wikisource for some time but I still have to finish off some things on Dutch Wikipedia, in your case I would advise you to go to the Simple English Wikipedia (where I actually also wanted to go, but I'm afraid that because I'm the only person to use a few sources such as Art-Hanoi or the University of California at Santa Barbara that I'll be seen as “a cross-wiki spammer” for actually citing content, so I chose not to), though I would have to warn you about Simple English Wikipedia’s one strike policy which is a non-sensical policy that anything that you give you let's say a 5 hour block would give you a first time indefinite block simply because you're blocked on the English Wikipedia (though other wiki's such as Dutch Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons that have policies that officially go against the one strike policy still have admin cultures that enforce them as such).

Is there a reason why you never went to the Simple English Wikipedia? I see that you’re affiliated with Wikimedia DC, are you employed by them or is your affiliation different? Because I saw that the autoblock of your block once disrupted a WikiConference USA. --Donald Trung (Talk 🤳🏻) (My global lock 🔒) (My global unlock 🔓) 12:39, 17 December 2017 (UTC)

I'll be honest, I only appealed my global lock because of two specific reasons, Beetstra falsely accused me of being a spammer, and this edit which reverted content additions (against both global and local policies). If Beetstra never accused me of being a spammer I would've still been locked now and not appealed it, but it's the culture on all Wikimedia projects that educational content should be removed because of the author that bothers me, and honestly I feel really bad that the articles you created were speedy deleted rather than going through a regular request for deletion because I’m pretty sure that if “Banned contributor” would be the only given reason that very little content would actually be deleted solely on that basis alone, you have people who are here to build an encyclopedia, and you have people that are only here to revert and delete while rarely actually caring about content, and the latter group is exactly what's wrong here. Don't mention what wrongs they locally make on that local project because they would still call it “importing problems from other projects” either because the lack the capabilities to logically assess the situation, or because “assume bad faith” is simply the norm (though it's probably a combination of both). Just try joining Simple English Wikipedia, and make some content there, if you’re lucky some uninvolved editor will bring them to English Wikipedia too. --Donald Trung (Talk 🤳🏻) (My global lock 🔒) (My global unlock 🔓) 12:40, 17 December 2017 (UTC)

Structured Commons - Design feedback request: Multilingual CaptionsEdit

Hello! You are receiving this message because you signed up for the the community focus group for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons.

The Structured Data on Commons team has a new design feedback request up for Multilingual Captions support in the Upload Wizard. Visit the page for more information about the potential designs. Discussion and feedback is welcome there.

On a personal note, you'll see me posting many of these communications going forward for the Structured Data project, as SandraF transitions into working on the GLAM side of things for Structured Data on Commons full time. For the past six months she's been splitting time between the two roles (GLAM and Community Liaison). I'm looking forward to working with you all again. Thank you, happy editing. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 15:09, 24 January 2018 (UTC)

blocksEdit

yes, user:Bus_stop, [1] you have stumbled upon some unpleasant history, that does not make common sense. but as you see, the "son of betacommand" minds are made up. for an essay, see also User:Slowking4/All knowledge versus free culture - by now i have more edits than these admins, like this one, but their idea of collaboration remains dictation. fresh start is proven a lie. Slowking4 (talk) 00:34, 10 February 2018 (UTC)

I just want to say that I appreciate the work done by "Sudowoodoo". That is an impressive list of productive work done. I think credit is due. Bus stop (talk) 01:15, 10 February 2018 (UTC)
i'm no saint, but the methods for adding art content are repeatable by newbies. we will see more at art + feminism shortly. the fair use images of dead people is a small work flow, they deleted 60 out of 259 [2], and there are over 500 in use now, along with over 1000 photos of living people. the more good work they delete, the less credibility they have. so it goes. Slowking4 (talk) 01:38, 10 February 2018 (UTC)
Images are indispensable for gaining a familiarity with what has transpired in the world of art. There are arguments against inclusion of images such as copyright arguments, restricting the use of "Fair use", and there are also arguments about bandwidth and the capacity of small devices to load and display a multitude of detailed images, but I think art education requires the liberal use of images of works of art. The verbal counterpart is inadequate to convey knowledge of works of art. Bus stop (talk) 02:17, 10 February 2018 (UTC)
i'm with you there, and video too. but this website is hobbled by the verbal veterans who would rather write a thousand words, and be precautionary about image licenses. it is a generational divide. if we are not careful, a fork will come along and add rich media content, better than everpedia. and the next generation will leave us behind. Slowking4 (talk) 02:33, 10 February 2018 (UTC)
A problem may be that the visual arts have not been properly thought about. For instance there are no distinct guidelines for notability concerning works of art, so deletion discussions for works of art fall back on the more general requirement for commentary in reliable sources. This often means incorrect, misleading, self-serving, meandering musings on the work of art that may have little to do with the work of art. Works of art are generally nonverbal. Yet works of art serve as a jumping off point for tall tales that the commentator wishes to tell. This is interpretation, and I don't mean to fault those who take a stab at "interpreting" works of art. It should be noted that it is not just any work of art that is most likely to be subject to this sort of treatment but those works of art that have already achieved some prominence that are most likely to be subject to this type of interpretive scrutiny. The "prominence" often derives from the art gallery or museum in which the work is shown. But you can't use the argument that the setting in which it is shown suggests notability because as we all know, notability is not inherited. And it works vice versa. An art gallery does not derive notability from a constant and long term flow of important exhibitions of artworks because—you guessed it—notability is not inherited. This frustrating arrangement spills over into discussions about the inclusion of images in articles. Currently a heavy emphasis is on verbal commentary relating to the work of art. But that verbal commentary is often ludicrously irrelevant. People writing art commentary often have their own agendas that they wish to promote and the artwork that they are talking about simply gives them an opportunity to expand on their pet philosophical project. But that's their prerogative. I don't fault them. And I think that is to the credit of the work of art—that it generates such a flow of words. There is good quality art commentary but it is the rare exception. The bottom line concerning works of art is that often little can be said about them. They are stubbornly nonverbal. I'm not saying there should be no standards pertaining to works of art but that there should be different standards. Bus stop (talk) 14:49, 10 February 2018 (UTC)
yeah, i had this discussion with Stierch. (i.e. w:River Horse (sculpture)) we do not trust the culture to come to a reasonable art notability criteria, so we fall back on GNG, which privileges established institutions that can print their own reliable sources, such as the MET. (Met Open Access Artworks Challenge) with whinging about the non-notable items. w:Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Caftan (Metropolitan Museum of Art) - the culture seems to resist the normal art history article, or curator's exposition, since most references are behind paywalls, and in print, i.e. w:Hotel Lobby. we will try again to engage expert editors at art + feminism, but do not have an expert to write the vital art articles. tried some talk page engagement at w:The Greek Slave but it took 5 years. Slowking4 (talk) 00:00, 11 February 2018 (UTC)
and when the sock of betacommand is removing fair use images from w:Arts on the Line it frames the dispute. [3]. Slowking4 (talk) 11:25, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
Slowking4—why not resolve this? Get your account unblocked. It is uncomfortable. I know. I've been through it. I remember dreading having to apologize, but according to Standard offer "[a]pologies aren't necessary, just basic courtesy..." The administrator Beetstra is referencing "Standard offer" in the thread "Tangential discussion" at WP:AN. I'm not sure what a next step might be. If I can help in any way please let me know, and if all else fails we can team up to vandalize Wikipedia. (Just kidding.) Bus stop (talk) 14:23, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
i have no confidence whatever in the words of this admin; do not waste your breath; fresh start is proven a lie. "I don't remember the incident,... the only appropriate responses are "I'll be much more careful" "- funny, i do not take dictation; i do not see a reasonable standard of practice, but rather straw men of un-scanned newspapers, and moving the goalpost. they want to stop fair use uploads, and will do anything to reach that goal - by hounding and block if necessary. it is governance by dictation and essay, not consensus and law. Slowking4 (talk) 12:57, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
I just wanted to help. I don't know much about the larger case. I have my own feelings on many topics, including imagery in articles on artworks and schools of art or art movements and the place of articles on individual works of art on Wikipedia. I think you did good work in that area. Bus stop (talk) 16:47, 14 February 2018 (UTC)
one way to help is get 600 edits and vote in the Stewards/Elections 2018, and then w:Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2017. they need a hostile takeover. Slowking4 (talk) 02:01, 15 February 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data feedback - What gets stored where (Ontology)Edit

Greetings,

There is a new feedback request for Structured Data on Commons (link for messages posted to Commons: , regarding what metadata from a file gets stored where. Your participation is appreciated.

Happy editing to you. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 22:58, 15 February 2018 (UTC)

S v GEdit

hey, User:Sander.v.Ginkel, do not interact with the trolls, they are not here to collaborate. email me. Slowking4 (talk) 23:51, 15 February 2018 (UTC)
hey, User:Trackinfo don't get mad, get even. userfy them all, and create from the wonderful list of world class athletes. Slowking4 (talk) 23:51, 15 February 2018 (UTC)

signaturesEdit

hey User:Donald Trung. i should have warned you, do not vote against the trolls and their star chamber; they are vindictive. and yes - maybe you are too good for english wikipedia. you have some leadership skills, find another project such as wikidata. or a good GLAM institution in need of some digital humanities outreach. cheers. Slowking4 (talk) 03:50, 6 March 2018 (UTC)

First structured licensing conversation on CommonsEdit

Greetings,

The first conversation about structured copyright and licensing for Structured Data on Commons has been posted, please come by and participate. The discussion will be open through the end of the month (March). Thank you. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 17:26, 16 March 2018 (UTC)

Multilingual captions testing is availableEdit

Greetings,

The early prototype for multilingual caption support is available for testing. More information on how to sign up to test is on Commons. Thanks, happy editing to you. - Keegan (WMF) (talk) 17:06, 24 April 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data feedback - multilingual captions on the file pageEdit

Greetings,

There are designs posted for viewing and using multilingual captions on the file page. Please take a look and leave your feedback as you have time. Thanks. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 20:18, 24 May 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data on Commons IRC Office Hour, Tuesday 26 JuneEdit

Greetings,

There will be an IRC office hour for Structured Data on Tuesday, 26 June from 18:00-19:00 UTC in #wikimedia-office. You can find more details, as well as date and time conversion, at the IRC Office Hours page on Meta.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing you there if you can make it. -- Keegan (talk) 20:54, 25 June 2018 (UTC)

What properties does Commons need?Edit

Greetings,

Structured Commons will need properties to make statements about files. The development team is working on making the software ready to support properties; the question is, what properties does Commons need?

You can find more information and examples to help find properties in a workshop on Commons. Please participate and help fill in the list, and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks! -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 18:53, 28 June 2018 (UTC)

Timeless Newsletter • Issue 1Edit

Newsletter • July 2018

Welcome to the first issue of the Timeless newsletter! This issue is being sent or forwarded to everyone who has at some point expressed an interest in the project, give or take, as well as a couple of other potentially relevant pages, so if you would like to continue (or start) receiving this newsletter directly, please sign up for further updates on the meta page.


The news:

The Timeless grant has been selected for funding, and the project is now underway!

While I've had a somewhat slow start working on the project for health reasons, I'm pleased to announce that everything described in the proposal is now either happening, or on its way to happening.

Current progress:

  • The project now has a hub on Meta to serve as a directory for the various related pages, workboards, and local discussions and help pages. It's probably incomplete, especially with regards to specific language projects that might have local pages for Timeless, so if you know of others, please add them!
  • Outreach: I've been talking to various people and groups directly about skinning, desktop/mobile interfaces, project management, specific component support, and other things, and have begun to compile a very shoddy list of skinning problems and random issues on mw.org based on this. Some of this may inform the direction of this project, or possibly this project will result in building a more proper list that can then be used for other things. We shall see.
  • Some development - task triage, code review, bug fixing, and various rabbit holes involving ...overflows.

General plan for the future:

  • Triage the rest of the workboard.
  • Catch up with all the talkpages and other bug reports that have been left various other places that are not the project workboard
  • Do all the bug fixes/features/other things!
  • Some proposals aimed at Commons and Wikisource in particular (maybe, we'll see)

Essentially, the grant as written shall be carried out. This was the plan, and remains the plan. Timelines remain fuzzy, but while there have been some initial delays, I don't particularly expect the timeline for project as a whole to change a whole lot.

Also, for anyone at Wikimania right now: I am also at Wikimania. Come talk to me in person!

Thank you all for your interest and support thus far!

-— Isarra 12:23, 20 July 2018 (UTC)

This issue has been sent regardless of signup status. To receive future issues please add yourself on the massmessage list.

Thank youEdit

Thank you for your comments in the proposal I made in the Inspire campaign. Your time and input is appreciated. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 21:35, 26 July 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data feedback - Depicts statements draft requirementsEdit

Greetings,

A slide presentation of the draft requirements for depicts statements on file pages is up on Commons. Please visit this page on Commons to review the slides and discuss the draft. Thank you, see you on the talk page. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:20, 7 August 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data feedback - structured licensing and copyrightEdit

Mockups of structured licensing and copyright statements on file pages are posted. Please have a look over the examples and leave your feedback on the talk page. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 20:32, 7 September 2018 (UTC)

Sign-up for Whose Knowledge? on-line newsletterEdit

Hi everybody,

We are leaving the wiki newsletter format behind and venturing into the email newsletter format. We'd love to keep sharing our projects and adventures with you all! You can sign up here to make that happen.

See you all there!

With love & solidarity,

Claudia - and the WK? Comms Team using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:45, 17 September 2018 (UTC)

New discussion on Commons talk:Structured dataEdit

Hello. I've started a new, important discussion about creating properties for Commons on Wikidata. Please come join in, if the process is something that interests you or if you can help. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 16:48, 19 September 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data - upcoming changes to viewing old file page revisionsEdit

How old revisions of file pages work are likely going to have to change for structured data. There is information about the change on the SDC hub talk page, please read it over and leave feedback if you have any. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 15:30, 28 September 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data - IRC office hours today, 4 OctoberEdit

There will be an IRC office hour for Structured Data on Commons today, 4 October 2018, from 17:00-18:00 UTC in #wikimedia-office. You can find date/time conversion, as well as a link to join the chat in your browser if needed, on the IRC Office hours page on Meta. I look forward to seeing you there. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 05:49, 4 October 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data - search prototypeEdit

There is a search prototype for structured data on Commons available. Please visit the search prototype page on the structured data hub for information on testing and feedback. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 19:07, 5 October 2018 (UTC)

The Community Wishlist SurveyEdit

Hi,

You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.

You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:25, 30 October 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data - IRC office hour today, 1 NovemberEdit

There will be an IRC office hour for Structured Data on Commons today, 1 October 2018, from 17:00-18:00 UTC in #wikimedia-office. You can find date/time conversion, as well as a link to join the chat in your browser if needed, on the IRC Office hours page on Meta. I realize this may be short notice for some people; I am experimenting with advanced notice times to see what works best for the most people, I'll be giving more warning before the next office hour. I look forward to seeing you there. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 16:02, 1 November 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data - IRC office hour today, 1 NovemberEdit

The above message says 1 October in the body when it should say 1 November, as the subject line says. Apologies for making a new section by mass message, it's the only way to get this out quickly. See you in twenty minutes! -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 16:37, 1 November 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data - copyright and licensing statementsEdit

I've posted a second round of designs for modeling copyright and licensing in structured data. These redesigns are based off the feedback received in the first round of designs, and the development team is looking for more discussion. These designs are extremely important for the Commons community to review, as they deal with how copyright and licensing is translated from templates into structured form. I look forward to seeing you over there. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 16:25, 2 November 2018 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Wikisource/Improve export of electronic booksEdit

Hello. Thanks for supporting this request. I noticed that you added your vote before the voting period. Now, there is a special button Support for recording a vote. If you could take a few minute to enter a new vote Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Wikisource, it would be appreciated very much. Thank you for your support. --Viticulum (talk) 20:25, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

First World Congress of Jewish WomeEdit

User:SusunW; user:Rosiestep; User:GreenMeansGo -- i was going to say, it looks like secretary meeting minutes, written by the 2 secretaries, one in German and one in English. would not think prepared speeches by others are included verbatim unless credited, which i did not see.
Anitta Müller-Cohen (1890–1962) [4]; [5]

Elinor Sachs Barr, died March 24 1990 - Barnard College 1917 - ALUMNAE MAGAZINE / SUMMER 1990 [6] -- Slowking4 (talk) 19:32, 23 November 2018 (UTC)

Good point. Thanks. --Rosiestep (talk) 19:40, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
Wouldn't that still be derivative of the speech given, even if it's an imperfect replication? GMGtalk 19:44, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
yes, but it appears they are summarizing speeches rather than trying to steno-graphically report the exact wording. (it is the same issue with close paraphrasing, which it does not appear to me) also matters if the speech is written and prepared, or extemporaneous. see also Copyright of Political Speeches. (for US law.) Slowking4 (talk) 19:58, 23 November 2018 (UTC)

Multilingual captions beta testingEdit

The Structured Data on Commons team has begun beta testing of the first feature, multilingual file captions, and all community members are invited to test it out. Captions is based on designs discussed with the community[7][8] and the team is looking forward to hearing about testing. If all goes well during testing, captions will be turned on for Commons around the second week of January, 2019.

Multilingual captions are plain text fields that provide brief, easily translatable details of a file in a way that is easy to create, edit, and curate. Captions are added during the upload process using the UploadWizard, or they can be added directly on any file page on Commons. Adding captions in multiple languages is a simple process that requires only a few steps.

The details:

  • There is a help page available on how to use multilingual file captions.
  • Testing will take place on Beta Commons. If you don’t yet have an account set up there, you’ll need one.
  • Beta Commons is a testbed, and not configured exactly like the real Commons site, so expect to see some discrepancies with user interface (UI) elements like search.
  • Structured Data introduces the potential for many important page changes to happen at once, which could flood the recent changes list. Because of this, Enhanced Recent Changes is enabled as it currently is at Commons, but with some UI changes.
  • Feedback and commentary on the file caption functionality are welcome and encouraged on the discussion page for this post.
  • Some testing has already taken place and the team are aware of some issues. A list of known issues can be seen below.
  • If you discover a bug/issue that is not covered in the known issues, please file a ticket on Phabricator and tag it with the “Multimedia” tag. Use this link to file a new task already tagged with "Multimedia."

Known issues:

Thanks!

-- Keegan (WMF) (talk), for the Structured Data on Commons Team 20:42, 17 December 2018 (UTC)

Structured Data - file captions coming this week (January 2019)Edit

Hi all, following up on last month's announcement...

Multilingual file captions will be released this week, on either Wednesday, 9 November or Thursday, 10 November 2019. Captions are a feature to add short, translatable descriptions to files. Here's some links you might want to look follow before the release, if you haven't already:

  1. Read over the help page for using captions - I wrote the page on mediawiki.org because captions are available for any MediaWiki user, feel free to host/modify a copy of the page here on Commons.
  2. Test out using captions on Beta Commons.
  3. Leave feedback about the test on the captions test talk page, if you have anything you'd like to say prior to release.

Additionally, there will be an IRC office hour on Thursday, 10 January with the Structured Data team to talk about file captions, as well as anything else the community may be interested in. Date/time conversion, as well as a link to join, are on Meta.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to seeing those who can make it to the IRC office hour on Thursday. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 20:22, 7 January 2019 (UTC)

Structured Data - development update, March 2019Edit

This text is also posted on the Structured Data hub talk page. You can reply there with questions, comments, or concerns.

A development update for the current work by the Structured Data on Commons team:

After the release of multilingual file captions, work began on getting depicts and other statements ready for release. These were originally scheduled for release in February and into March, however there are currently two major blockers to finishing this work (T215642, T217157). We will know more next week about when depicts and statements can likely be ready for testing and then release; until then I've tentatively updated the release schedule.

Once the depicts feature is ready for testing, it will take place in two stages on TestCommons. The first is checking the very basics; is the design comfortable, how does the simple workflow of adding/editing/removing statements work, and building up help and process pages from there. The second part is a more detailed test of depicts and other statements, checking the edge-case examples of using the features, bugs that did not come up during simple testing, etc. Additionally we'll be looking with the community for bugs in interaction with bots, gadgets, and other scripts once the features are live on Commons. Please let me know if you're interesting in helping test and fix these bugs if they show up upon release, it is really hard to find them in a test environment or, in some cases, bugs won't show up in a testing environment at all.

One new thing is definitely coming within the next few weeks, pending testing: the ability to search for captions. This is done using the inlabel keyword in search strings, and will be the first step in helping users find content that is specifically structured data. I'll post a notice when that feature is live and ready for use.

Thanks, let me know if you have questions about these plans. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:34, 12 March 2019 (UTC)

Structured Data - early depicts testingEdit

The Structured Data on Commons development team has the very basic version of depicts statements available for early testing on Test-Commons. You can add very basic depicts statements to the file page by going into the new “Structured Data” tab located below the "Open in Media Viewer button." You can use the Latest Files link in the left side nav bar to select existing images, or use the UploadWizard to upload new ones to test with (although those images won’t actually show up on the site). The test site is not a fully functional replica of Commons, so there may be some overall problems in using the site, but you should be able to get a general idea of what using the feature is like.

Early next week I will call for broad, community-wide testing of the feature similar to what we did for Captions, with instructions for testing, known bugs, and a dedicated space to discuss the feature as well as a simple help page for using statements. Until then, you're welcome to post on the SDC talk page with what you might find while testing depicts.

Thanks in advance for trying it out, you'll be hearing more from me next week. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:59, 21 March 2019 (UTC)

User reporting system consultationEdit

Hello,

You are receiving this message because you have previously created or commented on an idea related to reporting harassment; and may have an interested in giving feedback about a new initiative to develop a user reporting system.

The Wikimedia Foundation's Community health initiative plans to design and build a new user reporting system to make it easier for people experiencing harassment and other forms of abuse to provide accurate information to the appropriate channel for action to be taken.

The success of this project depends on collecting ideas and feedback from people in a variety of different roles in the Wikimedia movement. To this end, there will be a multi-phased consultation where you can participate in ways that you find most comfortable.

Please visit the User reporting system consultation page to learn more about the process, to ask questions, or to offer feedback. You also can sign up to be be a liaison for you group, to translate pages or messages, or to host a discussion group (on or off wiki.)

Please share this message with other people who you think would be interested in this project.

Cheers, SPoore (WMF) Strategist, Community health initiative 15:55, 2 April 2019 (UTC)

HelloEdit

There's another report which is also listing your name, please see here Steward_requests/Global#Global_lock_for_some_accounts.--AldnonymousBicara? 15:35, 10 April 2019 (UTC)

see also Steward_requests/Global/2019-04#Global_lock_for_Slowking4 and c:Commons:Administrators'_noticeboard/Blocks_and_protections#Indefblock_for_Slowking4_(review) if at first they do not succeed, try again. the vindictiveness is instructive. this case will test the use of tools by stewards. you should expect over reaching to assert bitey behavior, and silence dissent of bitey behavior. Slowking4 (talk) 15:39, 10 April 2019 (UTC)

By the way, why Jeff_G. tried to “kill” your account Wikimedia-wide? I suspect some special incident involving you both, in the past. You can email me if the knowledge shall not be public. Incnis Mrsi (talk) 13:14, 19 July 2019 (UTC)

given my tangling with banned admins, i wouldn't be surprised if he was one. there is a cadre of editors who have an expert knowledge of venues, and they behave there (spinning up drama) like admins. and the banned ones are vindictive like this. they seem to be fanatics about freedom,. in this case it would require multiple accounts over a decade. i'm no kevin gorman, so may remain a mystery. pretty soon, the only editors will be socks. (here would be another one User:Pppery) "exit voice or loyalty" redux. Slowking4 (talk) 13:36, 19 July 2019 (UTC)
I have little idea which banned admins you refer to – Russavia and IN▄▄▄▄█▄y, perhaps? And how indeed are these guys related to Jeff and his protector(s)? As for “a cadre of editors who have an expert knowledge of” blah-blah-blah, not a valuable observation for me – my experience here is no less than yours. There are many different editors, but few users in good standing harass vulnerable Wikimedians on Meta-wiki. Incnis Mrsi (talk) 20:41, 19 July 2019 (UTC)
it is a small group, you left off betacommand and fram. yeah, sorry for the generalities, i'm not much interested in researching diffs. there are others in my group who are more interested in the drama. i'm too busy getting work done on wikidata. yeah that action by this editor was a tell, but i'm not that vulnerable. if i stumble on something i will let you know. Slowking4 (talk) 03:13, 20 July 2019 (UTC)

Structured Data - testing qualifiers for depictsEdit

As you might have seen, testing is underway for adding qualifiers to depicts statements. If you have not left feedback already, the Structured Data on Commons development team is very interested in hearing about your experience using qualifiers on the file page and in the UploadWizard. To get started you can visit Test-Commons and chose a random file to test out, or upload your own file to try out the UploadWizard. Questions, comments, and concerns can be left on the Structured data talk page and the team will address them as best as they can. Thank you for your time. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 19:08, 11 June 2019 (UTC)

Structured Data on Commons - IRC office hours this week, 18 JulyEdit

The Structured Data team is hosting an IRC office hour this week on Thursday, 18 July, from 17:00-18:00 UTC. Joining information as well as date and time conversion is available on Meta. Potential topics for discussion are the testing of "other statements", properties that may need to be created for Commons on Wikidata soon, plans for the rest of SDC development, or whatever you might want to discuss. The development team looks forward to seeing you there. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 18:51, 16 July 2019 (UTC)

Structured Data - testing other statementsEdit

You can now test using other statements for structured data on the file page on Test-Commons. Some datatypes are not yet available, such a coordinates, but further support will be extended soon. You can find more information about testing on the SDC talk page. The team looks forward to your feedback. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 16:41, 24 July 2019 (UTC)

Return to the user page of "Slowking4".