User talk:Barbara (WVS)
Welcome to Meta!Edit
Hello, Barbara (WVS). Welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum if you need help with something (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!
-- Meta-Wiki Welcome (talk) 11:57, 25 September 2015 (UTC)
Just a note that when you write «this didn't seem to be a problem with other Wikimedians who are funded in the same way» somebody might read this as an accusation of having double standards. I encourage you to retract or clarify this passage, at least as far as I'm concerned, since I can easily point to previous cases where I made the same point. It's ok on the other hand for you to point out previous grants or directions which gave you the (possibly wrong) impression that your proposal follows best practices, so that we can learn and improve. Regards, Nemo 17:06, 4 November 2017 (UTC)
- Yikes! Accusations of double standards is not what I want to convey at all. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I can see how the statement could be misinterpreted. I only meant that my grant proposal was modeled after previous ones. I appreciate your advice. Thank you very much. Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 21:48, 6 November 2017 (UTC)
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee ElectionEdit
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election Nomination PhaseEdit
Hello again Barbara (WVS)! As stated in our previous message, nominations for the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group steering committee elections are now open and will remain open until the 9th. If you are interested and have read the instructions, please nominate yourself on the election page. Please forward your queries to libraries lists.wikimedia.org, and for private correspondence, please get in touch with one of the founding members. And finally, wishing you a prosperous and happy new year on behalf of the user group founding members! On behalf of the user group founding members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:00, 3 January 2018 (UTC)
Hi Barbara. You have the results in the discussion of the contest. Thanks. --Vanbasten 23 (talk) 20:08, 6 January 2018 (UTC)
Updates on the user group election and #1Lib1RefEdit
Hi everyone, two quick but important updates:
Timeline for nominations and votingEdit
- Nominations are extended until 12 January 2018.
- Candidates will be lightly vetted by the Founding Members (excluding those who are candidates) to help form a well-functioning committee.
- Vetting will happen from the 13th up to 21 January 2018.
- Voting will begin on the 22nd of January and end on the 4th of February.
- To be able to vote, editors must have joined the usergroup before the 21st of January.
- Results will be announced on or before the 10th of February.
How you can support #1lib1refEdit
- Participate! Get started at m:1Lib1Ref and add a citation with CitationHunt.org
- Share the campaign on social media using the #1lib1ref hashtag
- Tell your local librarians and library-loving friends about the campaign
- Watch and share this fun explainer video
- Join the Facebook event page for updates
- Join the Wikipedia + Libraries Facebook group for news and camaraderie
- Watch and share the OCLC #1lib1ref webinar
- Read the OCLC #1lib1ref Learner Guide
On behalf of the Founding Members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:50, 10 January 2018 (UTC)
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election Voting PhaseEdit
Hello once again! We are happy to announce that the steering committee election 2018 is now open for voting. Because you have joined the user group by 21 January 2018, you are eligible to vote. As mentioned under the instructions for voters, you can vote support for multiple candidates, at most one support for each candidate. Also, oppose votes are not allowed, but discussions are welcome on the talk page.
On behalf of the Founding Members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:24, 22 January 2018 (UTC)
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election ResultsEdit
Hello everyone! The steering committee election for the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group is finally over and the results you were patiently awaiting for is here! We had many great candidates with awesome skillsets and experience, unfortunately not everyone could make it to the final eight. We are grateful to all the candidates for stepping up and boldly throwing their hat in the ring. It was a difficult choice and they made it. Now, the results. The candidates who made it to the final eight are,
On behalf of the founding members, the TWL team and the user group members, we congratulate the candidates on their successful run and welcome them to the committee. The steering committee and the founding members will soon meet to discuss the handover and next steps of the user group. Thank you--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:56, 16 February 2018 (UTC)
Interaction Timeline V1.1Edit
Hello Barbara_(WVS), I’m following up with you because you previously showed an interest in the Interaction Timeline. The Anti-Harassment Tools team has completed V1.1 and the tool is ready for use. The Interaction Timeline shows a chronologic history for two users on pages where they have both made edits.
The purpose of the tool is to better understand the sequence of edits between two users in order to make a decision about the best way to resolve a user conduct dispute. Here are some test cases that show the results and also some known limitations of the tool. We would like to hear your experience using the tool in real cases. You can leave public feedback on talk page or contact us by email if the case needs discretion or you would prefer to comment privately. SPoore (WMF) (talk) , Trust and Safety Specialist, Community health initiative (talk) 16:50, 9 May 2018 (UTC)
- I've been using the tool but apparently those who granted me a topic ban on the English Wikipedia don't know how to use it yet. I'll leave a comment where I am supposed to. Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 20:39, 10 May 2018 (UTC)
What's new from the Wikimedia and Libraries User GroupEdit
- The steering committee invites you to participate in this poll to help the committee plan activities this year.
- The committee decided to use the libraries lists.wikimedia.org and has started making announcements on the list. Please join the list for future announcements and for internal discussions and communications.
- The latest meeting minutes of the steering committee meeting (May 14-15, 2018) is now available on Meta.
On behalf of the steering committee,
via--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:47, 27 May 2018 (UTC)
New community space for IdeaLab on ConnectEdit
Hi folks. If you're receiving this message, you've contributed to IdeaLab or an Inspire Campaign this year. Thanks for participating to develop ideas and review ones from other Wikimedians.
We are preparing some changes to IdeaLab and Inspire Campaigns. One of these changes is a new community space on Connect, where Wikimedians can find each other based on common activities or skills, and ask questions about the space. You are invited to join this community space for IdeaLab, especially if you would ever consider needing to find contributors with certain skills (like design or project management) or would like to offer your skills to others in our movement. To join, please proceed to Connect/IdeaLab and click on the "Add yourself" button on the right. Thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) 19:53, 21 June 2018 (UTC)
Do you have an idea about how to measure the health of your community? Do you want to review ideas that others have submitted? Through August 10th, we are inviting ideas on how to capture the well-being of Wikimedia communities, in terms of matters like conflict resolution, effective content creation, and being able to contribute in a collaborative environment. Ideas can be focused on either quantitative techniques, such as gathering raw data, or qualitative techniques, like surveying contributors. If you are submitting an idea, guidance is available for how to move your idea into implementation, such as through a grant or starting a Phabricator task to engage with developers.
If you're interested, consider joining the Inspire Campaign. I JethroBT (WMF) 17:13, 13 July 2018 (UTC)
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group updates and WikimaniaEdit
If you are attending Wikimania,
- Bring your books! You can participate in the book swapping we have planned, and swap/leave your books on the table. More details here
- WLUG meetup. We'll be mingling with other librarians/Wikibrarians/activists at the Birds of a Feather Lunch: GLAM and Heritage Birds of a Feather Lunch on July 21st, 13:00 to 14:00 in the London room. Come, join us!
- For your convenience and scheduling purposes, we've put together a list of Wikimedia and library-related events in Wikimania that might be of interest to you, with time and venue.
Bon voyage and have a wonderful Wikimania!
If you are not attending Wikimania, we have you covered too!
- Please help us plan activities for this year by sharing your suggestions on how to implement the top two ideas from the poll results. The discussion is open on the user group talk page.
- The latest meeting minutes of the steering committee meeting (June 28-29, 2018) is now available on Meta.
On behalf of the steering committee,
via--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:02, 14 July 2018 (UTC)
BMJ account redistribution (The Wikipedia Library)Edit
Hi - according to our records you received a free account for BMJ through The Wikipedia Library. Because we’ve used up all of our allocated accounts, and it’s been some time since they were distributed, we want to redistribute any accounts that aren’t being used to users on our waitlist.
If you’re still using, or plan to use, your BMJ access, no problem! Simply head over to the Library Card platform, log in, and request a renewal of your account. You should be able to do this from your user page, or the BMJ signup page. If you can’t find the renewal button, or have any other issues or questions about this, please feel free to leave a message on my talk page. We’ll begin redistributing inactive accounts in a few weeks; if you request renewal after then we should still be able to reactivate your account if we have spots remaining. Thanks, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 12:16, 4 September 2018 (UTC)
Regarding Wiki Women for Women Wellbeing Grant requestEdit
Hi, First of all, Thank you so much for endorsing the project. As you have mentioned, you have many questions, I would love to answer your questions and would really appreciate some inputs from you. Coming to your question, we will be organising this event in 7-8 different Indic languages along with English and for that we have active English Wikimedians. We are also working on drafting good article guidelines for our respective communities before the event starts to set a certain standard for the content to be created during the event. We are collaborating with doctors for the verifiability of the content so generated. I am aware of the Wiki Med Project and we have contacted User:Diptanshu Das regarding the project. We would love to have suggestions, guidelines or inputs from you. Regards, Manavpreet Kaur
- Thank you for contacting me and responding to my comments. The referencing requirements vary between the Wikipedias. For example I also write for the Simple English Wikipedia, The Haitian Creole Wikipedya, and the French Wikipedia. Each one of these has referencing guidelines for health and medical articles. The verifiability of research reviewed by doctors has no relevance on the English Wikipedia. We accept information from medical textbooks, Govt health websites, systematic reviews and meta-analysis. Content is quickly removed that is not referenced by one of these sources-it doesn't matter if the information is reviewed by a doctor. But that isn't the case for the Haitian, Simple English and French Wikipedias. I would like to help out if that is possible, even remotely. But I suspect the different time zones may not make that possible. I have edited hundreds of articles related to Women's health and created about 90 articles on the same topic. I have a list of missing articles for the English Wikipedia if you would like. Also, there are shortened versions of Medical articles that may simply be translated into the Indic languages and that will save time because you won't have to create articles themselves. I would love to help! Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 21:47, 4 September 2018 (UTC)
- Hi, Thank you for offering your guidance and help in making a list of articles. We will use Medical articles as reference. Please share the list of articles you feel are important. We are really glad to see your interest in the project. :) - Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 12:58, 7 September 2018 (UTC)
The Community Wishlist SurveyEdit
You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.
You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:25, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election Voting PhaseEdit
Hello Barbara (WVS)! We are happy to announce that the steering committee election 2019 is now open for voting. Because you have joined the user group before 28 February 2019, you are eligible to vote. Not unlike last year, you can vote support for multiple candidates, at most one support for each candidate. Also, oppose votes are not allowed, but discussions are welcome on the talk page.
On behalf of the steering committee,
via--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:43, 20 February 2019 (UTC)
Video tutorial regarding Wikipedia referencing with VisualEditorEdit
Hi, thank you very much for endorsing my grant funded project to create a video tutorial regarding creating references with VisualEditor. I would like to invite you to sign up for the project newsletter so that you will receive notifications when drafts and finished products are ready for public review. Regards, --Pine✉ 05:02, 26 February 2019 (UTC)
The 2021 Community Wishlist Survey is now open! This survey is the process where communities decide what the Community Tech team should work on over the next year. We encourage everyone to submit proposals until the deadline on 30 November, or comment on other proposals to help make them better. The communities will vote on the proposals between 8 December and 21 December.
The Community Tech team is focused on tools for experienced Wikimedia editors. You can write proposals in any language, and we will translate them for you. Thank you, and we look forward to seeing your proposals!
18:25, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
We invite all registered users to vote on the 2021 Community Wishlist Survey. You can vote from now until 21 December for as many different wishes as you want.
In the Survey, wishes for new and improved tools for experienced editors are collected. After the voting, we will do our best to grant your wishes. We will start with the most popular ones.
We, the Community Tech, are one of the Wikimedia Foundation teams. We create and improve editing and wiki moderation tools. What we work on is decided based on results of the Community Wishlist Survey. Once a year, you can submit wishes. After two weeks, you can vote on the ones that you're most interested in. Next, we choose wishes from the survey to work on. Some of the wishes may be granted by volunteer developers or other teams.
We are waiting for your votes. Thank you!
16:09, 11 December 2020 (UTC)