Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца) | български | ပအိုဝ်ႏဘာႏသာႏ | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form) | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | Qaraqalpaqsha | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | ລາວ | lietuvių | Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | Norfuk / Pitkern | polski | português | português do Brasil | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | संस्कृतम् | sicilianu | سنڌي | Taclḥit | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ꠍꠤꠟꠐꠤ | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча / tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha / ўзбекча | vèneto | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体) | 中文(繁體) | +/-

Welcome to Meta! edit

Hello, MCruz (WMF). Welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum if you need help with something (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!

-- Meta-Wiki Welcome (talk) 20:24, 16 May 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi edit

I replied to your other account. I didn't realize you had two. PiRSquared17 (talk) 17:01, 30 May 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: July 2014 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 1 / Issue 1 / July 2014
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events & more!

Grow the

Leave your mark
on Meta!

If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

MCruz (WMF) (talk) 15:34, 31 July 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Tracking activity edit

Hi Maria, I keep a summary of events and activities on my user page, which you may find helpful, and I'm happy to talk to you further. Mary Mark Ockerbloom (talk) 16:42, 10 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi Mary Mark Ockerbloom thanks for getting back to me so soon! And sorry for the delay in the response. I wanted to reach out to see how I can help you to get some of your program evaluations included in this year's round of voluntary reporting. I know from your event pages that you have done some amazing work tracking results of editathons. If you could please send me an email to mcruz [at] wikimedia [dot] org, I would like to share a report spreadsheet for you to include your data there. Thanks! MCruz (WMF) (talk) 21:56, 14 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Re: Data on Art and Feminism editathons edit

Regarding this comment on my talk page: Hi, María. Yes, I was involved in the Art+Feminism editathons. If you have questions specifically for me and my work, you are welcome to ask, but I would also recommend bringing @Theredproject, Failedprojects, Siankevans, and OR drohowa: into the conversation re: data and program evaluation. They were even more involved and could assist with the information you've requested. --Another Believer (talk) 23:26, 14 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi Another Believer! Thanks for reaching out. I will contact them 1 on 1 as well. What I am looking for is the data gathered from these editathons (how many people took part, pages edited, etc). I'm looking forward to including these on the second round of data collection. Should I talk to someone else as well? Let me know, please! Thanks, MCruz (WMF) (talk) 13:28, 16 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi User:MCruz. I would start with this page, where we had event organizers of the various events report on their outcomes and include quantitative and qualitative information: Wikipedia:Meetup/ArtAndFeminism 2014/Outcomes. At the top of the page, there are also some more general, aggregated numbers for all of the events. We are working still, now, to run Wikimetrics on registered users for all events. As you can imagine, this is a fairly big project. Thanks, OR drohowa (talk) 15:10, 16 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks for sharing that page, OR drohowa! I know it was a very push and effort that involved many community members, and we'd love to include it in this second round of data reporting. I sent you an email about this, as well. Let me know how I can best help you and we can move on from there. Thanks again! MCruz (WMF) (talk) 15:19, 16 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: October 2014 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 1 / Issue 2 / October 2014
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events & more!

Leave your mark
on Meta!

Ask Away edit

Feel free to ask any questions you need to ask. I'll do my best to answer them with the resources I have available at the moment. Zellfaze (talk) 15:58, 24 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi User:Zellfaze, thanks for the prompt response! I have questions about how many people took part, articles edited, bytes added and bytes removed, etc. All of that is in a spreadhseet. Can you please fill in with the information you have? If you have any questions, please contact me.
Go to spreadhseet
Thanks! MCruz (WMF) (talk) 15:03, 27 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Sorry for not replying @MCruz (WMF):. I didn't notice you replied here and went on a bit of a wikibreak, which is still ongoing, shortly thereafter. If you are still interested in the data I will try to fill out the survey sometime this week. I'll have to find where I marked it down though. Zellfaze (talk) 04:06, 19 January 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi, Zellfaze! Sorry for the late response. And thanks for checking back on this. I thought I had submitted your contact info to Amanda, who took over my work on Data Collection Round II. I will reach out to her to make sure that happened. Thanks! MCruz (WMF) (talk) 17:16, 2 February 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hello @Zellfaze: I posted a blurb on your talk page near the end of November, requesting the metrics highlighted in yellow on the event talk page. Could you please input any data you have, or "Don't know" for the answers you do not have? Thank you, these responses are the foundation of our program learning and capacity building for future editathons! Abittaker (WMF) (talk) 02:04, 6 February 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Editatón Campusero de Ecuador edit

Hola, María. Siento mucho responder tarde a tu mensaje. Aquí te dejo información del Editatón Campusero, entre lo más relevante. Los editatones campuseros son eventos que estamos creando la comunidad de wikimedistas de Ecuador en cada Campus Party. Además de la editatón, durante 5 días de duración del evento, también dimos ponencias sobre el uso adecuado de Wikipedia en las aulas de clase; charlas y talleres de edición de Wikipedia (y otros proyectos hermanos como Wikimedia Commons), e invitamos a los interesados a participar en la editatón, con todos los pasos: creación de cuenta de usuario, introducción sobre herramientas básicas, guía en el redacción de artículos, etc. El primer editatón campusero fue en el 2013, y en septiembre de este año hicimos la segunda edición, aunque con menor participación. La comunidad de wikimedistas de Ecuador está trabajando arduamente para la creación de un capítulo de la fundación en este país. El resumen de todos los eventos puedes encontrarlos «aquí». Si tienes más preguntas no dudes en consultarme. Un abrazo wikimedista. --Sageo (talk) 18:27, 25 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hola user:Sageo, gracias por responder. Tengo unas preguntas puntuales sobre el evento de 2013. Las escribí en la página de discusión del evento, las podés ver aquí. Por favor, etiquetame cuando termines de responder. Y de nuevo, muchas gracias por tu tiempo y dedicación. MCruz (WMF) (talk) 14:41, 27 October 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Re:Datos sobre Wiki se toma el Museo de la Solidaridad edit

Hola María, disculpa la tardanza de mi respuesta. Estás en lo cierto, en dicha actividad sólo hicimos un recorrido fotográfico, tanto del Museo de la Solidaridad como de la Fundación Salvador Allende, que ocupan el mismo espacio. Para el encuentro se registraron dos nuevos usuarios, a quienes tras la actividad se les explicó brevemente el funcionamiento de Wikipedia y Commons. Cualquier duda que tengas, no dudes en consultármela. Saludos! --Warko (talk) 04:55, 2 November 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hola Warko, gracias por responder. Me falta la siguiente información del evento que desarrollaron. Responde en lo que puedas.
Ver y completar información.
¡Muchas gracias! MCruz (WMF) (talk) 19:08, 5 November 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Editatón Campusero de Ecuador 2013 edit

Hola, MCruz. Aquí te dejo más información sobre la Editatón Campusero de Ecuador 2013.

  • Tiempo de organización del evento: Teníamos previsto realizar el evento con casi 2 meses de anticipación. Durante el Campus Party Quito 2013 fui el encargado de organizar el editatón. Para órganizar el editatón se utilizó un aproximado de 14 horas, sumando los días previos mediante promoción, talleres y demás dentro del CP3.
  • Donaciones para el evento: La comunidad de wikipedistas recibió como aporte del CP3 la donación del lugar de trabajo (dentro del campus), conexión a Internet, comida durante la estadía en el CP3 (5 días).
  • El editatón sirvió más como taller de edición, ya que varios interesados se nos acercaron para saber un poco más sobre el uso de las herramientas de edición. Los usuarios con más experiencia estuvimos ocupados enseñando a los voluntarios acerca de la creación de cuentas y edición básica. El editatón contó con las ediciones de Pasleyec, Lucifer8k, Puente lila (mujer; voluntaria ocasional), Johnmanga, Jorgeortega88 y quien te escribe. En total, de los inscritos de la editatón (26), quince son hombres, y once son mujeres.
  • En los talleres se subieron un par de imágenes como muestra del uso de Wikimedia Commons, sin embargo no se creo una categoría para tales ficheros.
  • Acerca de la preguntas sobre el proceso de aprendizaje:
* Este programa fue implementado por un líder de programa con experiencia que puede ayudar a otros a implementar el mismo programa: (SI)
* Este programa generó brochures y materiales impresos para comunicarse a diferentes audiencias. (SI)
* Este programa generó blogs y otras publicaciones online para comunicarse con otras personas (publicados por ustedes u otros). (NO)
* Este programa generó una guía o instrucciones para implementarse de forma similar en otro lado. (SI)
  • Objetivos: prioridades de el editatón.
  1. Construir y organizar una comunidad
  2. Aumentar la percepción de credibilidad y/o calidad
  3. Reclutar o convertir nuevos usuarios
  • Pregunta de aprendizaje: ¿Creés que tu trabajo incrementó la motivación de quienes contribuyen? ¿Cómo sabés?
Mi trabajo, al igual que la colaboración de toda la comunidad ecuatoriana de wikimedistas ha tenido sus frutos en cuanto a promover el uso adecuado de Wikipedia (y sus proyectos hermanos), y el uso de esta herramienta en el aula de clase. Durante los talleres y ponencias, varios profesionales de la educación (profesores de escuela primaria, secundaria; y catedráticos universitarios) nos colsultaban sobre la fiabilidad en los artículos, y se llevaban buenas referencias de nuestras charlas, en pro de cambiar ese paradigma de negar a los estudiantes del uso de esta enciclopedia virtual. Reconocemos que nuestro trabajo ha tenido sus frutos debido a que la comunidad se ha vuelto más sólida y han surgido nuevos proyectos a partir del CP3.

Espero haberte podido ayudar. Actualmente seguimos trabajando en encuentros y editatones que involucren organismos dedicados a la cultura y la educación. Disculpa por el retraso en contestar. Ante cualquier otra duda o consulta sobre los proyectos en Ecuador me contactas para charlar un poco más.Saludos desde Guayaquil --Sageo (talk) 01:06, 4 November 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hola Sageo, muchísimas gracias por el tiempo que tomaste respondiendo. Ya incorporé tus respuestas. Te mando un saludo, MCruz (WMF) (talk) 21:39, 4 November 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Re: Sobre JemBot para editatones edit

Hola, María. Disculpa el retraso, necesitaba tiempo para poder responder con el detalle merecido. Ante todo, te agradezco el interés y el mensaje; es bueno saber que estas labores tienen su repercusión y que hay ojos atentos a encauzar y mejorar las cosas en el movimiento Wikimedia.

Te comento, el módulo bot para editatones apenas si acaba de salir del estado de experimental, se ha usado en las dos editatones de Wikimedia España hasta la fecha y en una mexicana a petición posterior, y apenas hace un mes que está configurado para admitir y guardar datos de múltiples editatones. Todavía hay aspectos que estamos terminando de definir de acuerdo con los socios de WM-ES, en particular la forma de que el bot lea por sí mismo la lista de artículos y de usuarios, en vez de necesitar la adición manual a su configuración, como sucede todavía. En todo caso, mi idea sí era, uma vez concretadas esas cuestiones, irlo dando a conocer y ofrecerlo para futuras editatones en general, en especial en el ámbito de Iberocoop.

Ahora bien, lo que me planteas entiendo que implicaría incluir una explicación en inglés sobre las pautas generales del código del bot, incluyendo consultas concretas a las bases de datos y un esquema del algoritmo. Esto desde luego es factible, pero me pregunto hasta qué punto sería útil, ya que me parece que ese portal y esos patrones están orientados más bien a una audiencia general de wikimedistas, mientras que lo que yo pueda indicar solo sería útil para quienes tengan ciertos conocimientos de programación y además acceso a Tool Labs, único servidor en el que hay acceso a las bases de datos. Además, desde un punto de vista informático, de eficiencia y de trabajo colaborativo, tiene poco sentido ofrecer pautas para que algunas personas reproduzcan un código y luego hagan sus mejoras o ajustes propios, en vez de partir de un único código central que pueda ser compartido y mejorado por todos y en beneficio de todos. Eso introduce otra cuestión, y es el código fuente, ya que en mi caso he elaborado un módulo de mi bot que se apoya en muchas funciones compartidas y código previo, y sería bastante complicado hacerlo útil sin unas explicaciones amplias sobre todo mi "entramado"; pero es algo que podemos abordar según el enfoque que vayamos dando al asunto.

En definitiva, mi intención inicial era ofrecer progresivamente a otros capítulos la ejecución del bot por mí mismo previo suministro de los datos necesarios, en principio en español, aunque la internacionalización es posible. No sé si plantearlo directamente así encajaría en el enfoque de la página que me has propuesto, o si sería oportuno hacerlo en otra página que quizás tú me puedas sugerir, con independencia de que se pudieran poner pautas orientativas como y donde me pides, en función de lo que me comentes sobre lo que te he ido exponiendo. Espero noticias tuyas para seguir avanzando, y si quieres que tratemos el tema con más agilidad y profundidad, también me encontrarás en IRC, en todos los canales de Wikipedia en español, como jem. Saludos, -jem- (talk) 20:50, 5 November 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hola -jem-, gracias por tu mensaje. Es muy interesante lo que compartís del funcionamiento del bot, y creo que es una buena oportunidad para colaborar. Te he enviado un correo electrónico para seguir la conversación por ese canal. Muchas gracias, MCruz (WMF) (talk) 20:28, 6 November 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

WikiCup data edit

Hi María- I am happy to provide any data on the WikiCup. You are welcome to email me - jmilburn02 at qub dot ac dot uk - or contact me on my enwp userpage. Let me know what specific data/information you need, and I'll do what I can to get it back to you. J Milburn (talk) 23:44, 13 November 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: January 2015 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 1 / Issue 3 / January 2015
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Get #Inspired on IdeaLab and Learning Pattern Library.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:57, 30 January 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

Pre conferencia en Berlín edit

Hola María. He rellenado el cuestionario para asistir a la preconferencia en Berlín pero no he tenido ninguna respuesta, ¿sabes cuando sabremos algo? Tampoco se quien se encarga de reservar las noches previas. Lo digo por saber si he de reservarlas yo, ya que WMDE me ha comentado que ellos no se encargan de la preconferencia. "Support is available for the additional hotel stay May 12th and 13th for approved participants traveling from outside of Europe, and for May 13th for regional participants." Entiendo que la noche del 13 sería la que se nos cubiría, y la del 12 deberá correr a nuestra cuenta. ¿Sería posible que al hacer la reserva del hotel se incluyera esa noche pero pagándola yo en el hotel? Gracias. --Millars (talk) 12:26, 24 March 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Missing language bar in "Address the gender gap/Research" edit


I took the freedom of adding the missing language bar to the "Address the gender gap/Research" page. Could you mark the page for translation again for it to show up in the other languages?

Regards, Lsanabria (talk) 13:24, 24 March 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi Lsanabria,
Thank you for doing that! I marked the page for translation again, and also, the main page, that also had changes. Hope it helps! MCruz (WMF) (talk) 14:53, 24 March 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: May 2015 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 1 / Issue 4 / May 2015
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Gender Gap on IdeaLab and Learning Pattern Library.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:57, 1 May 2015 (UTC) MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:57, 30 January 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

Pregunta con respecto a un cartel edit

Community Engagement - Maps of teams and workflows

Hola Maria. Cómo sabes que creó el diagrama de Participación de la Comunidad que se muestra en esta pared? Me gustaría ver el archivo original. Gracias. --Pine 05:50, 24 July 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hola Pine, por supuesto, aquí te lo dejo. ¡Saludos! MCruz (WMF) (talk) 14:34, 24 July 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Gracias. --Pine 04:47, 25 July 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: July 2015 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 2 / Issue 5 / July 2015
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Join the Community Health learning campaign

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 03:23, 27 July 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Ukrainian notification on ruwiki forum edit

You posted notification on Ukrainian language to ruwiki forum. Did you know, where going translation of this notifications? Maybe someone posted Ukrainian translation into the Russian-translation section, or Ukrainian is the fallback-language for ruwiki (then it should be cancelled, the majority of Russians didn't know Ukrainian). MaxBioHazard (talk) 15:27, 13 August 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

  • Hi MaxBioHazard, thanks for pointing that out. I made a mistake: I was trying to socialize this message on several wikis, and I thought I had a translation to Russian, but I didn't, and in the process, I forgot I was still on ru.wp forum. Sorry! If you know Russian, could you please help me get a translation? Thanks a lot! 17:53, 13 August 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
    • I am a native Russian, but I don't good know this kind of English (not a technical, but a social-bureaucratic English). For the second time, you posted a machine-translated notification, it is also conspicuous. If you haven't Russian translation, please, post English, it's much better than machine Russian. MaxBioHazard (talk) 04:51, 14 August 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Translation lost edit

Hi, I translated everything in Italian but at the end it got lost. Strange, it never occured to me. It is like it wasn't saving anything at all. I'll do it tomorrow, now I am tired... Just in case, do you prefer "you" to be translated as a singular or as a plural pronoun? Bye.--Alexmar983 (talk) 22:33, 11 September 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi Alexmar983, I'm so sorry the translation is lost! And thank you so much for trying again tomorrow  . I prefer "you" as singular pronoun. Thanks for verifying and looking forward to the translation! María (WMF) (talk) 22:36, 11 September 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Writing Contests video subtitles edit

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that I just finished (although not a priority) the Romanian translation for Writing Contests video subtitles (from your sandbox). You can find it here. Regards, Wintereu 12:26, 12 September 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Grants:Evaluation/Community Health learning campaign edit

I believe that this competition closed a month ago. It would probably be a good idea to announce the winner. It would also be of value to the community to publish an account of how you will analyse the contributions, where the analysis will be summarised, published and used, who is accountable for delivering those results to the stakeholders, and what if anything comes of them. We have seen too many consultations, surveys and the like which simply petered out into nothing, disappeared into the ether or were lost in a Foundation re-org and hence, as far as the community could ever tell, ended up as a complete waste of the community's time and effort. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 20:27, 24 September 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi Rogol Domedonfors, thanks for checking in about this  . The winner of the scholarship will be announced when all the Wikimania Scholarships are announced, as the rules follow the Travel and Participation Support Policies and proceses. The results from the consultation will be published together with the results of the larger research on Community Health, coordinated by Haitham. I believe he will present on this at WikiConUSA (as well as give a clinic on Community Health), and afterwards, it will be shared more broadly, but maybe Haitham can expand on this more. Cheers! María (WMF) (talk) 21:03, 24 September 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Do you yourself even know those dates, then: you sound uncertain? In any case you need to keep the participants informed at the competition pages. I cannot emphasise too strongly the positive effects on the community volunteers who donate their time and energy to consultations of this form when you make a visible effort to keep them up to date with progress: and equally, of course, the negative effects of appearing to abandon them, which is the impression you are currently giving them. By the same token, whoever is responsible for managing the feedback to the community needs to go to those pages and introduce themselves, giving the timelines for the various further steps in the process and making themselves accountable to the community for that delivery, which it seems that you yourself are not. It would have been even better to have made this engagement before the start rather than after the end of the consultation period. Please do not keep on repeating the mistakes that have seriously diminished the value of previous community consultations. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 21:20, 24 September 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Rogol Domedonfors, yes, you are right: I do not know the exact date. I do work towards communicating in a timely manner, so if I had known the dates, I would have written an update on the campaign page  . I only know the estimate, and that the team I'm part of is working on it right now. This is why I pinged my colleague Haitham, who coordinates the research, as he would be able to give a more specific answer. And also to give you a more direct route to your answer, in case you wanted to reach out to the person who is coordinating this directly. I am conscientious of the miscommunications in the past, thanks for pointing that out as well. Rest assure, I will communicate more broadly when I have more information. Have a good rest of the day, María (WMF) (talk) 16:29, 25 September 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
If I may jump in here. Rogol, I totally see where you're coming from, and I'm happy to further discuss with you if you have any high level comments on the campaign process, or suggestions for future improvements. As for the campaign analysis results (not the winner), they will be announced at this sussion at Wikiconference USA, and published online afterwards. I will make sure that this timeline is mentioned on the campaign page. Also, if you happen to have any specific burning questions before the results are published, please feel free to reach out to me at my email, and I'll be happy to answer those questions. Cheers. --HaithamS (WMF) (talk) 17:35, 25 September 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Now that Wikimania is over, perhaps it is time to close the loop on this. Please would you point to the announcement of the winner of the competition and the winning entry. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 06:54, 10 July 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Rogol Domedonfors, sorry it took me so long to respond to this message. I have been preparing for WikiConference India that is taking place really soon. I will update the page of the campaign soon. The person who won the scholarship is user:Basak. I talked to her and she will be sharing her experience on her report soon. I will update the campaign page to reflect this, as well. Thank you for checking in about this! Best, María (WMF) (talk) 18:11, 28 July 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi! Thank you for your mention. Please let me know if there is an specific report page/format i should use about sharing this experience. I'll be glad if i could be any help.--Basak (talk) 06:25, 29 July 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thank you for your response. Congratulations to User:Basak: I hope she found the conference productive. However my point is that this is an exceedingly odd way to run a competition. It is normal to publish the name of the winner, and use it as an opportunity to congratulate them, celebrate their success, and publicise their winning entry. It is not normal to wait ten months keeping it to yourself until someone happens to ask you for the result, and only then publish it obliquely in this way. Is there some special reason for this unusual procedure? Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 19:35, 29 July 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Rogol . Yes, that is correct, it is unusual; it was an oversight during a very busy time of transition and simply got overlooked. It was never our intention to not announce the winner, to the contrary, it very much is a loss to potential celebration. However, we missed it, no intentional weirdness, just something that slipped past. To address it moving forward, we plan to take the opportunity with reporting to announce clearly along with a story of the experience. I hope that better clarifies the matter for you. María (WMF) (talk) 16:12, 22 August 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thank you for that. I am glad to hear that you have identified a learning opportunity. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 17:24, 22 August 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: October 2015 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 2 / Issue 6 / October 2015
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns
you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:31, 27 October 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Community Health outcomes outreach plan edit

Hi Maria, is there a plan to use the community health survey outcomes broadly across the wikis? --Pine 08:40, 30 October 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

  • Hi Pine, sorry for the late response! Yes, I would like to promote the outcomes of the conversation more broadly, and also think of next steps. Would you like to be involved in that? I'm thinking this because next steps might involve having conversations on different Wikipedias, as opposed to one conversation on Meta. This is only an idea, and it has not been scoped yet, but I thought I'd share with you in case you might be interested. I will also definitely message all participants with the outcomes once we have found the winner of the prize, which we are working on. Thanks for staying in touch about this! Best, María (WMF) (talk) 17:48, 10 November 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Maria, I have three suggestions:
  • I suggest talking with Siko about how to socialize the concepts in the CHS because I seem to see the verb "to socialize" show up more in Siko's reports than anyone else's, and she has lots of experience with this via Grantmaking and the IdeaLab.
  • I suggest talking with Maggie or Patrick about what they're learning through the harassment survey.
  • You may also want to take a look at this and this for possible addition to the CHS discussions.
Good luck, --Pine 20:02, 10 November 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Pine, thank you so much for your suggestions! I realize now you were asking about how to use the outcomes of the survey, not how to promote it. I'm sorry to not have offered a good answer  . Yes, certainly, what you mentioned above is on my radar, and I'll do my best to integrate efforts across teams. Best, María (WMF) (talk) 01:20, 11 November 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Merry Christmas and happy new year edit

Merry Christmas and happy new year. (:


Oh, thank you, --Pine! Happy New Year to you, too! María (WMF) (talk) 14:10, 28 December 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: January 2016 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 3 / Issue 7 / January 2016
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:22, 29 January 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: January 2016 edit

If you are receiving this message for the second time, our apologies! On the first attempt, there was an error with the targets list and only a few users got the newsletter in their Talk Page.

L&E Newsletter / Volume 3 / Issue 7 / January 2016
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:20, 1 February 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

IP edits as official WMF actions edit

Hi Maria, please ask WMF people to be sure that they are logged in when making official edits to Meta, such as these edits that appear to be official. This helps to verify the authenticity of the edits and lets people who to know to contact with questions. Thanks, --Pine 07:22, 11 February 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi --Pine, yes, you are totally right. That was my mistake! I didn't realize I wasn't logged in when making those edits. It was easier to note when I wasn't logged when there were only two buttons on the user log in bar on the top right  . María (WMF) (talk) 17:25, 11 February 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Maria, there are a few different IPs within the timespan of the diffs that I linked. Are all of those IPs yours? Also, if you want you can request oversight suppression of the IPs from the history. --Pine 20:07, 11 February 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Template Ninja Barnstar edit


--Pine 15:58, 27 April 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Well I'm honoured, Pine. Thank you very much! I actually would like to help others learn how to adapt the templates I developed / adapted myself, and for that I started an idea on IdeaLab. On a very general note, one of the things I'm thinking is how to translate my sandbox on a library that is accessible to all, and to which anyone can contribute what they learn about templates. I started this idea as a volunteer, because this is currently beyond my scope of work, but I would very much like to hear your thoughts or any ideas you may have on how to do this in an accessible way. Feel free to contribute here. Thanks again! Cheers, María (WMF) (talk) 08:50, 28 April 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: April 2016 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 3 / Issue 8 / April 2016
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:51, 29 April 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks edit

I'd like to thank you, Jaime and everybody else for the opportunity. Best, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 09:51, 27 May 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

There's something wrong... edit

... with this. When you put it on someone's page it seems to eat the next header. See here for example, where my header ==Letter of intent== does not appear (you can see it in the source code). :D Delphine (WMF) (talk) 15:36, 29 June 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi Delphine, thanks for pointing that out! I am not sure what was wrong with the table I created, but I seem to have fixed it by including {{Clear}} at the end of the table. I am adding that to all similar templates I created now, to avoid the same problem. Cheers, María (WMF) (talk) 23:25, 7 July 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Cool, thanks! Delphine (WMF) (talk) 07:35, 8 July 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

SVG charts edit

Hi Maria,

How are you? We met at the Inkscape and SVG training session at Wikimania 2016 and discussed charts to visualize data. If you'd like to collaborate any further, could you please leave a message on my Wikipedia talk page?

Have a nice day,
cmɢʟeeτaʟκ 00:14, 10 July 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

WikiConference India 2016 program edit

Congratulations again on your proposal being selected!

We hope you have registered for the conference. If not please follow the instructions at: If you are a scholarship recipient - use the Wikimedia Registration option. In case you are not attending or unable to attend, please let us know at the earliest so that the schedules can be readjusted accordingly.

The program schedule is available here:

Please make sure you read the presenter guidelines.

We look forward to seeing you in Chandigarh!

For program committee



Errors in Learning Quarterly message edit

Hi María, I noticed that you send out the Learning Quarterly to various user talk pages. Thank you for the great work! Only since a few days, the MediaWiki software indicates errors in this message. This is mainly caused by the use of <div style="clear:both;" ></div> which is invalid HTML and adds also this talk page to the hidden category that indicates this error. Please use instead <div style="clear:both;"></div>. Thanks! Romaine (talk) 02:53, 30 July 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

PS: It is better if the if-parserfunctions are not added to the user talk pages. Which can be solved by adding subst: like: {{subst:#if: . Romaine (talk) 02:53, 30 July 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Romaine, thank you so much for the advice! I haven't yet sent out the latest issue of Learning Quarterly, but I'm doing that in a few minutes. I will incorporate what you suggest and hope it works for the best. Cheers, María (WMF) (talk) 00:52, 1 August 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: July 2016 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 3 / Issue 9 / July 2016
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Learning Quarterly: October 2016 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 3 / Issue 10 / October 2016
Learning Quarterly


Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

Image credits and licensing edit

Hi Maria, I was looking at, and it appears to me that the licensing and authorship information is incomplete, both for this image and,_Wikimania_2016_Esino_Lario_pre-conference_38.jpg which you included. Images which include other copyrightable materials, such as that poster, generally should also include the licensing information for those materials. So in this case you should include the authorship information for the poster, and the license that you choose for your photo and any derivatives should be harmonious with the license and copyright status of the underlying work such as that poster.

Happy holidays, --Pine 20:19, 18 December 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Share your experience and feedback as a Wikimedian in this global survey edit

  1. This survey is primarily meant to get feedback on the Wikimedia Foundation's current work, not long-term strategy.
  2. Legal stuff: No purchase necessary. Must be the age of majority to participate. Sponsored by the Wikimedia Foundation located at 149 New Montgomery, San Francisco, CA, USA, 94105. Ends January 31, 2017. Void where prohibited. Click here for contest rules.

Learning Quarterly: February 2017 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 11 / February 2017
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

Women in Red invitation edit

Welcome to... Women's History Month multi-language online editathon

Facilitated by Women in Red

  • March 2017
  • Featuring: "Art+Feminism" and "The Women You Have Never Met"
  • We hope you will help to improve coverage of women on Wikipedia
  • Contribute in your own language
  • Inform your communities of the need for their support.

Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English
(To subscribe: Women in Red/English language list and Women in Red/international list. Unsubscribe: Women in Red/Opt-out list)

--Ipigott (talk) 08:51, 19 February 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: May 2017 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 12 / May 2017
Learning Quarterly


Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

Encuentro Iberoamericano de la comunidad edit


Queríamos invitarte al encuentro iberoamericano de la comunidad que vamos a realizar el 10 de junio a las 18:30hs. en el bar Back in Black de Recoleta, CABA. Podés encontrar más información en la página del evento.
¡Sumate a compartir este espacio que reúne voluntarios/as de distintas partes del mundo!
No te olvides de firmar en la página.

¡Te esperamos!
--Constanza Verón (WMAR) (talk) 18:21, 31 May 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Women in Red's new initiative: #1day1woman edit

Women in Red Women in Red is pleased to introduce...
A new initiative for worldwide online coverage: #1day1woman
  • Create articles on any day of any month
  • Cover women and their works in any field of interest
  • Feel free to add articles in other languages, too
  • Social media hashtag campaign: #1day1woman

(To subscribe: in Red/Invite/List Women in Red/English language list and Women in Red/Outreach/International list Women in Red/international list. Unsubscribe: in Red/Invite/Opt-out Women in Red/Opt-out list) --Ipigott (talk) 09:30, 1 August 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wikimedian in Residence edit

Is there funding from WM to help fund a Wikimedian in Residence at the University of Pittsburgh? They are eager to create the position based upon my work as the Wikipedian Visiting Scholar there. I have added significant content from their archives and collections and they want to expand my role to include my involvement with the University's medical school. I am only beginning to understand the connection between the WVS and the WiR programs and it appears to be non-existent (at this time). I need a lot of assistance in navigating the process to make this transition and available funding.

Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 11:50, 2 August 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Barbara (WVS), thank you for getting in touch about this, and thank you for the work you are doing as a Wikipedia Visiting Scholar. The Wikimedia Foundation distributes grants for individuals and organizations that are committed in advancing our mission. There are different grant programs, and I would guess that a rapid grant or a project grant would be a good fit for this. Please go ahead and start navigating those pages to find out more about those programs and how you could apply. My colleague, Alex Stinson, is our GLAM strategist and will be able to help you in this process as well. To find out more about the Wikipedian in Residence program, you can read the page on Outreach Wikimedia. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have follow up questions or comments. Best, María (WMF) (talk) 15:43, 2 August 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Barbara! Its great to reconnect: we met several years ago at the National Archive, for one of the conferences WMDC hosted (Diversity conference?). Maria is pointing to correct venues for our funding streams.
I think the Visiting Scholars program is a natural way to develop understanding and ability of Wikimedians to do outreach and partnership with host institutions. Wikipedians in Residence have several distinctions beyond Visiting scholars: Visiting scholars focus on creating content, Wikipedians in Residence focus on activating others to create or share content; Visiting scholars tend to be adjunct to the organization, while WIRs need to be embedded in the organization; and, additionally, Wikipedians in Residence do a lot of education and program design.
In general, the Wiki(p/m)edian in Residence roles that WMF grants programs have funded, which have a considerable grant committee review, have several major characteristics:
  • They innovate in programmatic model or outreach audience, in way that we haven't seen other parts of the community. For example, the WIR at West Virginia University focused on reaching college women, and the UNESCO WIR helped us connect with a large international organization that we haven't collaborated with before.
  • They have likely impact well beyond the local institution (West Virginia was really focused activating gender contribution networks more generally, while UNESCO focused on the UN network).
  • The Wikipedians in Residence rarely contribute content directly, but rather focus on activating the organization and its network to contribute.
Developing a case for how your partner organization can do these things with the support of a Wikipedian in Residence, is a really important part of applying for a Grant. Typically WIR roles are funded as part of the Project Grant program. The next Project Grant submission window starts on August 28 and ends September 26.
I think there is a lot of opportunity for you to apply, based on what I know about your contributions. For example, Your interest in coverage of Medical information relevant to Women is likely thematically of interest, but developing a plan for how the work of a Wikipedian in Residence can activate the broad network of contributors to contribute to that topic area would be the focus of the grant application. Let me know how I can help, Astinson (WMF) (talk) 17:02, 2 August 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thank you for your reply. I have been offered a position at the University of Pittsburgh to be their Wikimedian in Residence for the purposes listed above. It is a newly created position and I will be working for the Director of the University Library System and The Pitt Medical School Library. As of today, The director is looking for funding to support this position. I anticipate that after this newly created position is funded for the first year, it will become part of the regular budget.
The Pitt Library Director also wants to begin strongly supporting wikipedia content contributions in lieu of regular written assignments and is working with faculty to begin this. So my next question is: Do you think WikiEd can fund some of the activities that I take on in this training of faculty? Maybe that's not the right question
The reason I want to be a Wikimedian rather than a Wikipedian is because I make contributions to many of the projects that are funded by the Wikimedia Foundation. I am pretty sure you've taken a look at my global contributions and know this already. Along with creating content, I design and implement templates, participate in new page patrolling and answer questions in the Teahouse when I can. I have advanced editing skills which I would like to teach contributors who I will recruit from Pitt. This is a different approach that what I've seen done in the edit-a-thons locally. I've helped to train librarians and students on adding content to the en:wikipedia. This wasn't supposed to be my role as a Visiting Scholar but since I'm local it wasn't much effort to make the commute to Pitt to do the training.
In addition, I anticipate to be able to widen this role to facilitate translation efforts. I will focus on medical content translation since that will undoubtedly be a need. Since my editing experience is so extensive, I will be able to train others in the use of editing tools - making their contributions much more easily. I can also help train contributors on how to upload images, how to fill in infoboxes, and, sad to say, how not to get blocked!
So one of my first questions is: How do I begin the application process for a substantial grant from the Wikimedia Foundation to the University to partially fund the position for the first year?
I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but I just applied for a fast grant this morning for some text materials that I am going to use in my regular editing. It won't take much effort to offer these same resources to new content contributors at the University.
So I'll take a look around and learn as much about the process as I can online.
Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 20:03, 5 August 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Barbara (WVS), the information about how to apply for a grant are in the links I shared on my first message. I'm guessing this would be a Project Grant, so that would be Grants:Project, specifically Grants:Project/Apply, which is in red in the navigation bar. I don't think that WikiEd Foundation gives away grants, but in any case, you can talk to LiAnna Davis, as you may be able to partner with the org in other ways. Hope that helps! Best, María (WMF) (talk) 15:38, 7 August 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hello and thanks for all the help you are giving me. I've been reading about all the other project grants that have existed in the past. These are very interesting and exciting for me because I now have some models to emulate and even improve upon. In the meantime, I've been poking around in all the other parts of Wikimedia - books, quotations, wikidata, wiktionary and anticipate that the training that I will provide will give more choices to those who want to add content in whatever way that they would like. Well, I guess you will be hearing from me soon. Any other advice? Do we ever communicate by telephone? Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 16:58, 7 August 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi all. Just want to comment that Wiki Education, a separate non-profit organization from the Wikimedia Foundation, doesn't award grants. That said, I'd be happy to explore any way I can help to make this happen -- Barbara is an incredible asset to Wikipedia and would make an excellent Wikipedian-in-Residence. Barbara, I'll send a longer reply in a response to your email. --Ryan (Wiki Ed) (talk) 19:02, 10 August 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi Ryan. I wasn't sure if WikEd awards grants but I really want you to be a major part of the WiR role at the University of Pittsburgh. The Director of Libraries is pretty keen on getting faculty to put required editing into the curriculum. Since you are the expert, I want to bring you in to speak to her and show her how WikiEd works. She is pretty high up on the administrative ladder and has hundreds of people working for her. She might not be able to talk over the phone or answer her email. She likes me, she likes what I do and so she will like you. She will meet with you, I'm pretty certain. When I get my proposal up on WM, I would dearly love your input, suggestions and to act as an adviser to me in this role. Best Regards, Barbara (WVS) (talk) 18:16, 11 August 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: August 2017 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 13 / August 2017
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspiring ideas and learning patterns you can contribute to.

Presenting Community Engagement Insights survey report: Tuesday, October 10, 1600 UTC edit

Hi MCruz (WMF),
I am reaching out to you because you signed up to receive updates about the Global Wikimedia survey.[1]

We will be hosting a public event online to present the data, a few examples on how teams will be using it for annual planning, and what are next steps for this project. The event will take place on Tuesday, October 10, at 9:00 am PST (1600 UTC), and the presentation will be in English. You can watch the livestream here, and ask question via IRC on #wikimedia-office.

If you are unable attend, you can also find the report on meta, and watch the recording of the event at a later time.

We hope to have you join us online! -- María Cruz 23:28, 2 October 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

  1. Update your subscription to these messages by clicking here.
I will see later for reasons of time. Greetings. Thank you very much.--Berposen (talk) 12:50, 3 October 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Structured Commons newsletter, October 25, 2017 edit

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
Things to do / input and feedback requests
Presentations / Press / Events
Audience at Structured Commons design discussion, Wikimania 2017
Team updates
The Structured Commons team at Wikimania 2017

Two new people have been hired for the Structured Data on Commons team. We are now complete! :-)

  • Ramsey Isler is the new Product Manager of the Multimedia team.
  • Pamela Drouin was hired as User Interface Designer. She works at the Multimedia team as well, and her work will focus on the Structured Commons project.
Partners and allies
  • We are still welcoming (more) staff from GLAMs (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) to become part of our long-term focus group (phabricator task T174134). You will be kept in the loop of the project, and receive regular small surveys and requests for feedback. Get in touch with Sandra if you're interested - your input in helping to shape this project is highly valued!

Design research is ongoing.

  • Jonathan Morgan and Niharika Ved have held interviews with various GLAM staff about their batch upload workflows and will finish and report on these in this quarter. (phabricator task T159495)
  • At this moment, there is also an online survey for GLAM staff, Wikimedians in Residence, and GLAM volunteers who upload media collections to Wikimedia Commons. The results will be used to understand how we can improve this experience. (phabricator task T175188)
  • Upcoming: interviews with Wikimedia volunteers who curate media on Commons (including tool developers), talking about activities and workflows. (phabricator task T175185)

In Autumn 2017, the Structured Commons development team works on the following major tasks (see also the quarterly goals for the team):

  • Getting Multi-Content Revisions sufficiently ready, so that the Multimedia and Search Platform teams can start using it to test and prototype things.
  • Determine metrics and metrics baseline for Commons (phabricator task T174519).
  • The multimedia team at WMF is gaining expertise in Wikibase, and unblocking further development for Structured Commons, by completing the MediaInfo extension for Wikibase.
Stay up to date!

Warmly, your community liaison, SandraF (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 14:26, 25 October 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Здравствуйте. edit

Чем именно Вы занимаетесь? Энцо А (talk) 21:17, 25 October 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Привет, Энцо А!
I manage communications for the Learning and Evaluation team, and also for other teams in the Community Engagement department. This means I design communication strategy (стратегия разработки коммуникаций), write blogposts (написать записи в блоге), and reach out to community members (связаться с членами сообщества). I am also the project manager (менеджер проекта) for the Wikimedia Resource Center. At the moment, I am developing the social connecting features for that platform. You can read more about the project roadmap on Github.
I hope that offers some clarity about my job. I tried including the terms in Russian for what I do, but please know I am using Google translation, so there may be some mistakes. // Надеюсь, это даст вам некоторую информацию о моей работе. Я пробовал, включая условия на русском языке, что я делаю, но, пожалуйста, имейте в виду, что я использую перевод Google, поэтому могут быть некоторые ошибки.
хорошего дня, María (WMF) (talk) 22:35, 25 October 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Undo revision 17444864 by Энцо А (talk) this edit does not add a group or individual, and the link doesn't lead anywhere. Вы увлечены собственной заинтересованностью?Будьте осторожны,за этим следуют системный крах или как минумим неэффективность замыслов.

Энцо А  02:27, 28 November 2017 (UTC)

)) edit

Я обязательно ознакомлюсь с вами,наблюдая с далекой стороны. Скажите,как срочно нам нужен перевод на русский "ГРАФИК(а) РАЗВИТИЯ СТРАТЕГИИ -2030" ? Энцо А (talk) 22:48, 25 October 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: October 2017 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 13 / August 2017
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Wikimedia_Diversity_Conference_2017 Is a dashboard of gender/diversity using Wikidata comparing external identifiers something? edit

Lesson learned is by connecting external sources Wikidata/Wikipedia can show how "bad" the gender diversity is if you compare sources that are the "same" see my blog - Salgo60 (talk) 11:13, 5 November 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

CEE Newsletter - November 2017 edit


CEE Newsletter
Volume 1 • Issue 2 • November 2017
Contents Single page viewSubscribe

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:13, 4 December 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Structured Commons newsletter, December 13, 2017 edit

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
Things to do / input and feedback requests
A multi-licensed image on Wikimedia Commons, with a custom {{EthnologyItemMHNT}} Information template. Do you also know media files on Commons that will be interesting or challenging to model with structured data? Add them to the Interesting Commons files page.
Presentations / Press / Events
Presentation about Structured Commons and Wikidata, at WikimediaCon in Berlin.
  • Sandra presented the plans for Structured Commons during WikidataCon in Berlin, on October 29. The presentation focused on collaboration between the Wikidata and Commons communities. You can see the full video here.
Partners and allies
  • We are still welcoming (more) staff from GLAMs (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) to become part of our long-term focus group (phabricator task T174134). You will be kept in the loop of the project, and receive regular small surveys and requests for feedback. Get in touch with Sandra if you're interested - your input in helping to shape this project is highly valued!
  • Research findings from interviews and surveys of GLAM project participants are being published to the research page. Check back over the next few weeks as additional details (notes, quotes, charts, blog posts, and slide decks) will be added to or linked from that page.
  • The Structured Commons team has written and submitted a report about the first nine months of work on the project to its funders, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. The 53-page report, published on November 1, is available on Wikimedia Commons.
  • The team has started working on designs for changes to the upload wizard (T182019).
  • We started preliminary work to prototype changes for file info pages.
  • Work on the MediaInfo extension is ongoing (T176012).
  • The team is continuing its work on baseline metrics on Commons, in order to be able to measure the effectiveness of structured data on Commons. (T174519)
  • Upcoming: in the first half of 2018, the first prototypes and design sketches for file pages, the UploadWizard, and for search will be published for discussion and feedback!
Stay up to date!

Warmly, your community liaison, SandraF (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 16:32, 13 December 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

The CEE Newsletter, Volume 1, Issue 3, December 2017 edit


CEE Newsletter
Volume 1 • Issue 3 • December_2017
ContentsSingle page viewSubscribe

Delivered by: MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 09:17, 2 January 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: January 2018 edit

CEE Newsletter - January 2018 edit


CEE Newsletter
Volume 2 • Issue 1 • January 2018
ContentsSingle page viewSubscribe

Delivered by: MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:58, 2 February 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

CEE Newsletter - February 2018 edit


CEE Newsletter
Volume 2 • Issue 2 • February 2018

ContentsSingle page viewSubscribe

Delivered by: MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:52, 4 March 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

MassMessage errors edit

Hi María, You sent a mailing to multiple pages with MassMessage, like this one. Please make sure you that you do not use any templates (in this case: at + dot) in messages, every wiki decides on its own which templates to create, and thus do not work on every wiki. Also please make sure to be aware that internal links do look working when using MassMessage on Meta, but on other wiki's those have to be prefixed with m: , otherwise the links do not work and link to a non-existing local page. Thanks! I fixed it for this wiki. Romaine (talk) 17:35, 21 March 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi Romaine, thank you for flagging that. I'm sorry about that mistake, I thought I had all the links properly added and I didn't. I will pay more attention next time! María (WMF) (talk) 18:01, 23 March 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Structured Data on Commons Newsletter - Spring 2018 edit

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter and contribute to the next issue. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
  • Our dedicated IRC channel: wikimedia-commons-sd webchat
  • Several Commons community members are working on ways to integrate Wikidata in Wikimedia Commons. While this is not full-fledged structured data yet, this work helps to prepare for future conversion of data, and helps to understand how Wikidata and Commons can work better together.
Things to do / input and feedback requests
Discussions held
Partners and allies
  • We are still welcoming (more) staff from GLAMs (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) to become part of our long-term focus group (phabricator task T174134). You will be kept in the loop of the project, and receive regular small surveys and requests for feedback. Get in touch with Sandra if you're interested - your input in helping to shape this project is highly valued!
  • Prototypes will be available for Multilingual Captions soon.
Stay up to date!

-- Keegan (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 19:48, 3 April 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

CEE Newsletter - March 2018 edit


CEE Newsletter
Volume 2 • Issue 3 • March 2018

ContentsSingle page viewSubscribe

Delivered by: MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:08, 6 April 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

CEE Newsletter - April 2018 edit


CEE Newsletter
Volume 2 • Issue 4 • April 2018

Delivered by: MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:19, 4 May 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

CEE Newsletter - May 2018 edit


CEE Newsletter
Volume 2 • Issue 5 • May 2018

ContentsSingle page viewSubscribe

Delivered by: MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:08, 10 June 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: June 2018 edit

Structured Data on Commons Newsletter - Summer 2018 edit

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter and contribute to the next issue. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
  • Our dedicated IRC channel: wikimedia-commons-sd webchat
  • Since our last newsletter, the Structured Data team has moved into designing and building prototypes for various features. The use of multilingual captions in the UploadWizard and on the file page has been researched, designed, discussed, and built out for use. Behind the scenes, back-end work on search is taking place and designs are being drawn up for the front-end. There will soon be specifications published for the use of the first Wikidata property on Commons, "Depicts," and a prototype is to be released to go along with that.
Things to do / input and feedback requests
Discussions held
Wikimania 2018
Partners and allies

Two research projects about Wikimedia Commons are currently ongoing, or in the process of being finished:

  1. Research:Curation workflows on Wikimedia Commons—a project that seeks to understand the current workflows of Commons contributors who curate media (categorize it, delete it, link to it from other projects, etc.).
  2. Research:Technical needs of external re-users of Commons media—soliciting feedback from individuals and organizations that re-use Commons content outside of Wikimedia projects, in order to understand their current painpoints and unmet needs.
  • Prototypes will be available for Depicts soon.
Stay up to date!

-- Keegan (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 21:07, 6 July 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Structured Data Newsletter - Research link fix edit


The newsletter omitted two interwiki prefixes, breaking the links on non-meta wikis as you might see above. Here are the correct links:

  1. m:Research:Curation workflows on Wikimedia Commons—a project that seeks to understand the current workflows of Commons contributors who curate media (categorize it, delete it, link to it from other projects, etc.).
  2. m:Research:Technical needs of external re-users of Commons media—soliciting feedback from individuals and organizations that re-use Commons content outside of Wikimedia projects, in order to understand their current painpoints and unmet needs.

My apologies, I hope you find the corrected links helpful.

- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:21, 6 July 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Possible issue with some communication tool edit

Hello María. While adding a barnstar to Nattes à chat talk page, I was surprised that my message wasn't appearing after I saved it. Looking deeper at the problem, it was an XML comment which wasn't correctly closed. The problematic line was

<!-- Message sent by User:MCruz (WMF)@metawiki using the list at >

instead of

<!-- Message sent by User:MCruz (WMF)@metawiki using the list at -->

That is the comment wasn't closed properly with the two regular dashes.

If that line was generated automatically by some mass communication tool, I suggest that you make sure this error is not widespread everytime you use it.

Cheers Psychoslave (talk) 08:08, 12 July 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

CEE Newsletter - June/July 2018 edit


CEE Newsletter
Volume 2 • Issue 6 • June/July 2018

ContentsSingle page viewSubscribe

Delivered by: MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:34, 18 July 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Learning Quarterly: November 2018 edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 17 / November 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

Display issue edit

Hi, I'm sure I made this point somewhere else already, however. See mw:Talk:MediaWiki_Stakeholders'_Group for examples of how Learning Quarterly appears in Structured Discussions. I think it's barely legible. HTH, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 14:23, 29 November 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

That is correct, Elitre (WMF): you made the point before, and it doesn't show up well on structured discussions. I don't know how to fix it. If you have any ideas or guidance, let me know! Thanks, María (WMF) (talk) 19:29, 12 December 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]
The HTML in the message has been reinterpreted. The system has interpreted quotes as span style=&quot;color:#DCDCDC&quot;, not as span style="color:#DCDCDC". I don't know if that's a VE issue or a SD-specific. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 09:47, 13 December 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Trizek (WMF), did the Mass Message system cause that? Can we look at the actual code pasted in the system perhaps? TY, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 12:33, 8 January 2019 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thank you for the ping, Elitre. It is a Parsoid issue, which has been documented in order to be fixed. The actual code works (even if using backgrounds may not be the best idea for accessibility) so as the distribution tool; that's the place where is is posted that needs to be fixed. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:21, 8 January 2019 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks a lot! Let's remember to mention this to Subbu or someone at All Hands if it hasn't been touched by then. --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 15:06, 8 January 2019 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Structured Data on Commons Newsletter - Fall 2018 edition edit

Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons! You can update your subscription to the newsletter. Do inform others who you think will want to be involved in the project!

Community updates
Things to do / input and feedback requests


Since the last newsletter:

Presentations / Press / Events
Partners and allies
  • The info portal on Structured Commons now includes a section on GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums).
  • We are currently planning the first GLAM pilot projects that will use structured data on Wikimedia Commons. One project has already started: the Swedish Heritage Board researches and develops a prototype tool to provide improved metadata (translations, data additions...) from Wikimedia Commons back to the source institution. Read the project brief.
  • The documentation for batch uploads of files to Wikimedia Commons will be improved in 2019, as part of preparing for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons. To prepare, the GLAM team at the Wikimedia Foundation wants to understand better which types of documentation you already use, and how you like to learn new GLAM-Wiki skills and knowledge. Fill in a short survey to provide input!
Stay up to date!

-- Keegan (WMF) (talk)

Message sent by MediaWiki message delivery - 17:58, 7 December 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Newsletters of Learning Quarterly edit

Hi María Cruz, on Dutch Wikinews we show a number of newsletters from Wikimedia and alike. You can see them in the middle of the red box at the bottom right of our main page. Today I have added the newsletters of Learning Quarterly there too and I would like to receive all new editions automatically at n:nl:Wikinieuws:Nieuwsbrieven Learning Quarterly. When I look at the list "Global message delivery/Targets/Learning Quarterly" I only see a possibility to drop personal names. Is it possible that the newsletter drops in our own box in stead of on a personal talk page? Ymnes (talk) 08:53, 30 December 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi Ymnes, this is great news! I'm glad to see that you find this newsletter useful and want to share it further. I believe you should be able to add a page instead of a username on the global message delivery list. If you look at the edit notice on that page you should see this template:
{{target | page = Wikinamespace:Newsletter | site =}}
This is the template we use to deliver to pages, for example, for the Wikimedia Affiliates.
Try using that to add your page, and we'll see how it works when I send out the next newsletter!
Best, María
Thank you for your help[1] ! Of course your newsletter is an asset to mention on our Wikinews version. Might you know another newsletter we should not miss, please feel free to mention so. Kind regards, Ymnes (talk) 18:48, 16 January 2019 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Captions in January edit

The previous message from today says captions will be released in November in the text. January is the correct month. My apologies for the potential confusion. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 20:43, 7 January 2019 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Structured Data - file captions coming this week (January 2019) edit

My apologies if this is a duplicate message for you, it is being sent to multiple lists which you may be signed up for.

Hi all, following up on last month's announcement...

Multilingual file captions will be released this week, on either Wednesday, 9 January or Thursday, 10 January 2019. Captions are a feature to add short, translatable descriptions to files. Here's some links you might want to look follow before the release, if you haven't already:

  1. Read over the help page for using captions - I wrote the page on because captions are available for any MediaWiki user, feel free to host/modify a copy of the page here on Commons.
  2. Test out using captions on Beta Commons.
  3. Leave feedback about the test on the captions test talk page, if you have anything you'd like to say prior to release.

Additionally, there will be an IRC office hour on Thursday, 10 January with the Structured Data team to talk about file captions, as well as anything else the community may be interested in. Date/time conversion, as well as a link to join, are on Meta.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to seeing those who can make it to the IRC office hour on Thursday. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:09, 7 January 2019 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Structured Data - blogs posted in Wikimedia Space edit

There are two separate blog entries for Structured Data on Commons posted to Wikimedia Space that are of interest:

  • Working with Structured Data on Commons: A Status Report, by Lucas Werkmeister, discusses some ways that editors can work with structured data. Topics include tools that have been written or modified for structured data, in addition to future plans for tools and querying services.
  • Structured Data on Commons - A Blog Series, written by me, is a five-part posting that covers the basics of the software and features that were built to make structured data happen. The series is meant to be friendly to those who may have some knowledge of Commons, but may not know much about the structured data project.
I hope these are informative and useful, comments and questions are welcome. All the blogs offer a comment feature, and you can log in with your Wikimedia account using oAuth. I look forward to seeing some posts over there. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:33, 23 September 2019 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Some new graphics edit

Hi Maria. I've always loved your graphics. I've also put together a couple of images for just the medical subset of your ecosystem and actors image (File:Wikipedia publishing interactions 2019.svg and File:Wikipedia publishing interactions 2019 circle.svg). Also, of possible interest regarding File:Wikimedians in Residence - Report May 2014.png, I've now finished putting all the Wikipedian in Residence info into Wikidata (see the first two images here for some data viz). I'm always looking to improve, so any feedback appreciated. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 00:48, 17 November 2019 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Template:WRC tabs nominated for deletion edit

Hello. An item which you created or you have editted substantially (Template:WRC tabs) has been nominated for deletion. Please see the ongoing discussion at Meta:Requests for deletion. Thank you. --Pols12 (talk) 13:55, 16 January 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

CEE Newsletter renewal edit

Hi, you are receiving this message, because in the past you chose to subscribe to receive new volumes of the CEE Newsletter. This newsletter will be renew after long period of inactivity, and therefore please choose if you still want to receive the newest volumes of the newsletter. You can delete your name or project by yourself, or you can contact CEE Hub staff to do that for you. --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:55, 4 April 2023 (UTC)Reply[reply]