IMPORTANT NOTICE: COVID-19 pandemic and cancellation of Wikimedia Foundation grant-funded events
- All offline (in-person) public events funded by Rapid Grants, Project Grants, or Annual Plan Grants must be cancelled or postponed until further notice.
- Instructions related to events funded through Conference & Event Grants are detailed in this e-mail sent on 24 March 2020.
- Cancellation fees, other penalties, and expenses already incurred can be covered through grant funds
- We will not be approving grants for offline events happening before September 15, 2020 until further notice
- Please contact your program officers for further guidance
For more information, please see a copy of the email sent from Katherine Maher to all active Project, Rapid, and Annual Plan grantees on March 12, 2020.
(effective March 13, 2020)
The Rapid Grants program funds Wikimedia community members – individuals, groups, or organizations contributing to Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia or Commons – to organize projects throughout the year with a budget of $500 USD up to $2,000 USD. Projects can include experiments or standard needs that don't need broad review to get started.
Applications are accepted between the 1st and 15th of each month and decisions are made by the end of that month. Rapid grants are meant to be simpler grants that can be reviewed in a short amount of time with limited back-and-forth with the grant applicant. There will be opportunities for revising your proposal, but we hope to make decisions quickly within the same month of your proposal.
Examples of common requests:
- Food for community organized events
- Expenses for a series of small edit-a-thons
- Reimbursement of bus tickets for a photo walk
- Prizes for an online writing contest
Proposals should support the achievement of Wikimedia’s mission. All requests between USD $500 and up to USD $2,000 will be considered.
Many Wikimedia affiliates offer grants to their local communities. Check out some of their programs here.
We surveyed the first year of Rapid Grant applicants back in 2017. You can see the report and next steps for program improvements here. We're currently working on evaluating the program and results of that evaluation will be available on September 30, 2019.
Questions? Please email us at rapidgrantswikimedia.org