Grants:Project/Rapid/Atudu/Wiki Loves Butterfly Part-II/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We have already submitted our interim report regarding the WLB Part-II Project [here] in the month of October'17. Hence we are furnishing with our final report of the said project. We are happy to intimate that we have satisfactorily met our project goals in the second phase of Wiki Loves Butterfly project namely Wiki Loves Butterfly Part-II. As regards of out project goal:
- We have succeeded in contributing a good number of quality photo documentation in Wikimedia Commons. The specialty of our documentation rests on the points that along with species documentation of the available butterfly population of West Bengal, India. We have even probed into subspecies level documentation along with Ventral and Dorsal view, Geo location thus making the field ready for accurate identification of species and subspecies [here].
- Related article creation of the species in Bn-Wikipedia is done to a satisfactory level. Even in some cases we have created nice articles in which respect there was no proper articulation in Wikipedia.
- In this WLB Part-II Project we have reached our targeted goal of documenting broadly and categorically district wise level in covering the state of West Bengal. This district wise categorical documentation has given high specification and dignity to our project as this has minutely the vast territory of West Bengal (88,752 km2) in parts and with the varying species and subspecies at every district of the 23 vast districts of this state we have covered 14.
- In this WLB Part-II Project, we have also nicely contributed in Wikidata and Wikispecies as proposed.
- The broad spectrum of Outreach and knowledge sharing has been greatly maintained and touched a high water mark in this second phase of WLB, as we participated, discussed, shared and oriented in the national level butterfly meet National level Butterfly meet organised by Butterfly and Moths of Sikkim-Nature Conservation Society (BAMOS-NCS) And Butterflies of North Eastern India Group in Dzongu Valley, North Sikkim,India where butterfly enthusiasts and resource persons and lepidopterist all over India gathered together. We have invited and motivated them all in the world of Wikimedia as well as opens new evenues of Wikimedia butterfly projects with enthusiasts of the other states of India. Our proposed ensuing project of Wiki Loves Butterfly in North-East India (WLB-NEI) of which we have already announced and applied for in Wikimedia [here] is going to be a nice outcome of the aforementioned outreach programme and a collaborative detailed project of ours with the butterfly experts and enthusiasts of the North-Eastern states of India. Our deliverance of the WLB project SWAG materials among them had created a great sensation and overall awareness of this project of ours. A brief report of the aforesaid national event has been notified beforehand [here]
- As proposed, we have met our goal of a Photo-walk to be done locally (WLB Photo-walk 2018) at a very renowned garden of West Bengal Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden where an one day long photo-walk and relevant documentation of the available species were done. At that photo-walk a good number of butterfly enthusiast of West Bengal had congregated along with a butterfly expert and writer of first butterfly related book of west Bengal Judhajit Dasgupta, whose presence gave enlightenment and impetus to the said photo-walk.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Uploading 800 images to Wikimedia Commons||917||Nice team work and fruitful outreach programmes|
|Over 120 articles to be created and developed||43||Lack of time for extensive field work and in this phase we have succeeded in making one good article|
Global Metrics and Other MetricsEdit
The metrics counts of this project are described below:
|4a. Number of new images/media added to Wikimedia article pages||558 (60.85%)|
|4b. Number of images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||917|
|4c. Number of Valued images||34 [here]|
|4d. Number of Quality images||91 [here]|
|5. Number of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects|
|5a. In Bengali Wikipedia||143|
|5b. No. of Good Article||1|
|5c. In English Wikipedia|
|6. Number of bytes added to and/or deleted from Wikimedia projects (absolute value)||13,24,154 byteson BnWP|
|7. Total Number of Species Documented||208 [here]|
|7a. Number of Papilionidae||28|
|7b. Number of Pieridae||21|
|7c. Number of Nymphalidae||75|
|7d. Number of Lycaenidae||48|
|7e. Number of Riodinidae||6|
|7f. Number of Hesperiidae||29|
|8. Total Number of Sub-Species Documented||208|
|9. Learning question: Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
Yes, our project has increased the motivation of Wiki contributors to a very satisfactory level. Different contributors have started uploading images in Wikimedia commons.
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
Photographic Team Work: The high enthused hard working and quality photographer of WLB team have covered and documented a vast area of West Bengal in this phase (WLB Part-II). 13 vast districts of West Bengal have been brought under coverage of which there are diverse territories like mountain region, hilly terrain, forests, plains, platues and sea-coasts of West Bengal. In this phase, we have documented some rare species of butterflies having rare status in West Bengal.
Photo Book: A great event is the inclusion of our project Wiki Loves Butterfly is the Photo Book publication of 5 years to Wiki Loves Initiatives in India initiated by User:Krishna Chaitanya Velaga
Outreach: The broad spectrum of outreach has been nicely maintained in this phase (part II of WLB) also through the inclusion of new wiki editors, co-ordination with new special interest groups, butterfly experts and resources persons, students and above all inviting and sharing other with and about the great motto of Wikimedia movement. Participation of WLB team in all India butterfly meet namely NEBM organized by BAMOS-NCS at Dzongu Vally, North Sikkim,India is highly enterprising and has served multiple purposes in view of the spirits of Wikimedia movement.
- What did not work so well?
Weather Condition: Weather hazards have played the villain on many occasions through havoc rain, flood condition, lashing storms destroying butterfly population. Our extensive field work curriculum has been badly affected due to these.
Pollution and Rapid Urbanization: Widespread pollution and rapid urbanization of vast areas destroying greenery and minimizing forest areas has been gradually and largely affecting and decreasing the butterfly population and or density at the preferred hotspots of West Bengal; (our zone activity). We are alarmed and anxious at this gradual warning of butterfly population along with all the other butterfly enthusiast and experts of the country.
Multilingual approach: We have always a strong bent for multilingual approach of our project by way of translation of our articles in different languages. Time and again we have appealed to wiki editor of different language to do the same and work hand in hand to highlight the great spirit of Wikimedia movement. Some positive responses have come, but none of them have started with us yet. Still we are communicating with them all the time with our hope of multilingual aspect of the project.
Photo-Exhibition: Our plan to organize a photo-exhibition in Kolkata with active aid and support of the West Bengal Wikimedians is not yet materialized for want of time as we shall have to be unbound busy in covering such vast zones of West Bengal, in field works in the distant and diverse districts, in documentation, in identification at scientific level and in article creation and so on and so forth. But we still have this event in our plans and try our level best to materialize it.
Article creation: In this second phase of WLB we have less article creation than the first one. This is chiefly because our vast coverage and documentation of district wise representation. We remain so engaged in field work at huge areas and travelling from one distant place to another on frequent basis that we got less time for article creation. But since our subsequent follow up machinery will remain active and operative even after the official ending of WLB Part-II Project (not actually ending) article creation will go on over the species and subspecies documented so far.
- What would you do differently next time?
In this phase II of our WLB Project from our photo-walk we have learnt about the essentially of workshop just following a photo-walk for better findings and much better scope of motivation and outreach. Next time, we shall try our level best to carry on with a workshop immediately following the photo-walk on the same date, as it is becoming difficult to assimilate all the participates on a specific date at a specific place due to everyone's distant and different residing and busy work schedule.
Grant funds usedEdit
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Sl no.||Item description||Total INR||Total USD||Receipts|
|1||Train Fare (SL Class) Up and Down||11445||170.19|
|3||Permission for Entering the Reserve Forest||1465||21.78|
|5||Food and Accommodation||38591||573.85|
Expenditure on making of SWAG materialEdit
|Sl no.||Item description||Total INR||Total USD||Receipts|
Expenditure in WLB Photo-walk 2018Edit
|Sl no.||Item description||Total INR||Total USD||Receipts|
|1||Permission for Entering into the garden||480||7.14|
Total Expenses (89,450+11,590+1,200)=1,02,240 INR (1520.31 USD)
- 1 INR = 0.015 USD
Our expenditure exceeded. In our proposed budget we mentioned of Rs.98,385 (1463.52 USD) as expected expenditure. But due to seasonal increase cost of transportation, accommodation and food and other related charges in the areas covers the budget has exceeded most naturally. Our total expenditure has amounted to Rs.1,02,240 (1520.31 USD). We have no money remaining in the fund.
If there are remaining funds, please list the amount here:
- Let us know if you would like to use the remaining funds on a similar or new project. Remember, a grants officer must approve this request before you spend the money.
- If you are not planning a new project, please follow these instructions to return the funds to WMF.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- A very inspiring and prospective objective regarding our WLB Part-II Project is that though we are enclosing the final report of the project on butterflies of West Bengal, the project itself is not going to end;- rather it shall go on automatically through our nice follow-up system method in which our team wiki contributors shall go on uploading future finding and documentation on butterflies in West Bengal and develop the existing articles through new finding and newly acquire knowledge. We have succeeded in creating district wise contributor representation which will automatically keep the project moving and thus enriching the documentation and knowledge sharing regarding butterflies of West Bengal as well as enriching Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata etc.
- North-East India is a huge paradise of butterfly. Our proposed Wiki Loves Butterfly in North-East India (WLB-NEI) shall have a probe into that rich treasure house of North-East India where we have already made ready a collaborative participation with the butterfly enthusiast and experts of different states of North-East India. With the Wiki Loves Butterfly in North-East India (WLB-NEI) Project we shall have a great scope of collaborating with motivating and including those local enthusiasts in the great world of Wikimedia movement as well as enrich wikimedia with the findings, documentation and articulation of the North-East India Butterflies.
- [wikipedia=1&projects[wikimedia]=1&projects[wikisource]=1&projects[wikibooks]=1&projects[wikiquote]=1&projects[wiktionary]=1&projects[wikinews]=1&projects[wikivoyage]=1&projects[wikispecies]=1&projects[mediawiki]=1&projects[wikidata]=1&projects[wikiversity]=1 "Global uses of images"].
- "Number of new images in Wiki Loves Butterfly".
- "List of Articles".
- "Good Article".
- "Wiki Loves Butterfly character count".