Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
The overall purpose of Wiki Loves Butterfly project is to increase the amount of free licence materials regarding available butterfly species of West Bengal, India and related documentation and photographs in Wikimedia Commons and develop the quality and quantity of Wikipedia articles (Bengali Language) in this regard and particular documentation of rarely available species of any location of West Bengal to be contributed in Wikispecies. The WLB project further aims at broad spectrum of outreach programme, knowledge sharing and interest growing among people about Butterfly as well as of Wikipedia, Wikimedia commons, Wikispecies, contributing quality images on butterfly related events to Wikimedia commons involving more users. Apart from that the Wikimedia movement and local chapters will gain visibility and impetus through the success of this WLB project.
- Our project goal includes recruiting new editors. The WLB Project has so far included 7 new editors on Wikipedia who have started their Wiki venture with developing and creating articles and uploading quality photographs in Wikimedia Commons on behalf of the WLB project.
- As a result of this grant, the team members of WLB who are mostly students and under employed, shall have the financial support and impetus to run the project with a renewed zeal and enthusiasm.Most of our participants suffer from financial problems while moving to different forest area and butterfly hotspots which incur a huge expenditure on successive visits. The materialization of the grant shall help us to meet up the huge expenditure for accomodation, transport, permission, entry passes etc and we shall redouble our endevour and zeal in photo documenting and data collection in broader areas of action.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Plans are set in broad spectrum to cover the butterfly infested areas and Butterfly gardens in West Bengal for complete documentation through quality photographs, reports and article writing about the life cycle, habitat, characteristic behavioral activities, seasonal differences, host plant etc. butterfly species.
- Plans are for extensive outreach programme targeting a good number of uses and incumbents under the preview of this project and to contribute in huge quantity in Wikipedia, Wikimedia commons etc.
- Plans of future prospect of workshop and online edit-a-thon with a highly expertise scientific research group (Nature Mates) which is entrusted with the supervision of many butterfly gardens and research laboratories of West Bengal.
- Targeted plans are there to endow Wikimedia movement a high impetus through the broader spectrum of this project.
In course of the project, for the Photo Documentation and Data Collection in the different butterfly hotspots of West Bengal, the WLB team have planned and decided to move to every butterfly infested location at least one time each of the four seasons- Pre-monsoon, Monsoon, Post-Monsoon and Winter. In case of the local Butterfly gardens the number of visits shall be two times per season.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Notified about our first phase of documentation carried in Jayanti, Buxa Tiger Reserved, West Bengal in WP Village pump of my community Bn Wiki.
- The notification of the 2nd phase of the said project after six month of the first one has also been done in WP village pump of Bn Wikipedia.
- Mailed the link of WLB project to many of the wiki editors of Bn Wiki as well as other language communities and invited them valuable suggestions and support for developing our WLB project with better excellence.
- A press release in hindi e-paper, Sanjeevani Today on 18th August 2016 about the WLB project.
As Wiki Loves Butterfly (WLB) is a documentary project dedicated to species and as such kind of job is very intricate demanding special knowledge and learning on species; hence the necessity of targeting a specific audience or special interest group becomes highly imperative.
- The expert views, opinions and suggestions of team Nature Mates shall definitely enrich our knowledge and meet up our queries regarding the butterfly kingdom.
- They are the best lot to be collaborated with since they are solely involved and gloriously working in the much less known field of butterfly conservation's in West Bengal with reportedly good success rate.
- Collaboration with Nature Mates appears to be of immense importance to us as they say in prints- If any support is needed,please bother to knock us.
This special interest group is one of the worthiness to come under the cover of our out-reach target.
- Their large volume of books, periodicals and research articles shall be of immense help in developing many articles related to butterfly kingdom.
Since the Nature Mates supervise and maintain all the butterfly gardens in West Bengal, the prospect of visiting core area for photography and documentation is verily possible.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- At the end, WLB project shall directly contribute and support wikipedia, wikimedia commons and wiki species in knowledge building as well as in total development of wikimedia movement through relavent article development, creating more active editors, good quality photo uploading, creating more active editors, expanding outreach programme, close associates with special interest group, creating new interest groups about the butterflies of west Bengal and inspired them to developed to create articles as well as through personal mentor-ship.
- Strong involvement in the traditional wikipedia communication, plans of online edit-a-thon with collage students and special interest researcher group, nature mates, targeting more articles development.
- Discurtion of the talk page of the project.
- I shall keep in close contact with the persons involved in my project through an already made up and maintained WhatsApp group and other social media groups. They shall be kept updated with latest wikipedia events and workshops.
- Constant mentorship on my part is inspiring them in article development and creating on relevant and other subjects as well as inspiring them and triggering with them newer project to developed Wikipedia and its sister projects.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of Edit-a-thon: 1
- Number of Photowalk locally: 1
- Number of total participants: 15
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): 100
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): 800
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): 25% of total number of photos uploaded
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Project manager: Ananya Mondal (Atudu)
- Member of core group: Sandip Das, Arghyadeep Das, Tapas Deb, Santanu Chandra
- Volunteering participants: Tamaghna Sengupta, Arnab Bar, Arjan Basu Roy, Archisman Guha Roy, Judhajit Dasgupta
- Special Interest group: Nature Mates
- Involved collaboration: Nature Mates
We have our high enthusiastic bent and significant studies and observation in the project related matter. Our good records in butterfly watching and exploration methods, our knowledge about biodiversity area and butterfly infested places of West Bengal shall be our resources towards final success. Our rapid pace of photographing and documentation at butterfly gardens and butterfly infested areas and parks at phases add impetus and gain in our project as well as in our regular contribution to Wikimedia commons and Bengali Wikipedia. We have collaborated with reputed special interest group to ensure their expertise and scientific support and at the same time to extend outreach in motivating them in article creation along with image contribution. The phases of our project so far done are entirely self-funded.
Ananya Mondal is leading the project along with 9 other contributors. She is the pivotal figure, photo shooter, plan maker, spot-chooser and article developer in the project.
No, we have never received any kind of support, in kind donation or additional funding from anywhere. This project is solely self-funded till date. But this self-funding criteria has posed great difficulty on us to been the huge expenditure in course of the project.
- The student participants suffer from monetary problem while moving to different forest area and butterfly infested places and be accommodated there on. This might put ebb to their high enthusiasm and dedication. This practical problem can be solved through the materialization of requisite grants of fund.
- Arrangement of rail ticket, food, accommodation, car transfer, entry fee to forests belts and guide etc amounts to a hefty budget for any of our team participants because we shall have to move frequently to prospective forest and mountain areas in quest of butterfly species and related documents.
- Some of our very active participants with the capacity of taking immense work load are students who would possibly move to other states for career making. Hence we have to make requisite replacement with new high potential contributor.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
Project Work done so farEdit
In course of our first phase (Pre-Monsoon Season) activity we have worked on 3 butterfly infested hotspots and gardens namely Prakiti Tirtha (New Town Eco Park butterfly garden), Banabitan (Central Park) and Jayanti and Lepchakha Buxa Tiger reserve. In our visits at Prakiti Tirtha (New Town Eco Park butterfly garden) we have documented 3 species of Butterfly, wild flowers and host plants. At Jayanti and Lepchakha of North Bengal we have succeeded in documenting 52 species of Butterfly, apart from that we also documented different wild flowers, birds, squirrel and lizards.
In course of our (Pre-Monsoon Season) activities we have succeeded in uploading 598 images on Commons  of which 10.47% images are used in different sections of Wikipedia. We have also created and upgraded 47 articles in Bengali Wikipedia  and total bytes count is 472891 . 7 new active editors have joined so far in WLB project  to have contributed in different phases in developing the project itselves and the Wikimedia movement.
Whatever activities of WLB project we have done so far has been solely done at our own expenses.
Expenses for Post-Monsoon and Winter SeasonEdit
|Sl no.||Item description||Unit cost||Nos. of Unit||Total INR||Total USD|
|1||Train Fare (SL Class) Up and Down||1560||4||6240||93.09|
|2||Local Transportation by car||2750||4||11000||164.11|
|3||Permission for Entering the Reserve Forest||250||4||1000||14.92|
|5||Food and Accommodation||5163||4||20650||308.07|
- "WP Village pump of Bengali Wikipedia".
- "WP Village pump of Bengali Wikipedia".
- "Bengali Wikipediano ki pehli Wiki Loves Butterfly Project achchhi unnati ki aur".
- "Wiki Loves Butterfly".
- "Nature Mates".
- "Report of Wiki Loves Butterfly".
- "Wiki Loves Butterfly".
- "Global uses of images".
- "List of Articles".
- "Wiki Loves Butterfly character count".
- "Participants of Wiki Loves Butterfly".
- This is a very interesting and unique project. I have seen the presentation at WikiConference India 2016. What is really important about this project is that it is helping in improving projects other than Wikipedia such as Wikispecies. Satdeep Gill (talk) 16:10, 28 August 2016 (UTC)
- Per Satdeep. Jim Carter (talk) 17:23, 28 August 2016 (UTC)
- This projects is helpful for the Wikimedia projects.--Biplab Anand (Talk) 04:48, 30 August 2016 (UTC)
- Its really a unique project and I support this project wholeheartedly in my volunteer capacity. I think this grant will enable them expand the work further. --Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) • talk • 12:08, 30 August 2016 (UTC)
- Abhinav619, on behalf of Wikimedia India
- Support and best wishes -Nabin K. Sapkota (talk) 15:48, 2 September 2016 (UTC)
- Strong support. It will be helpful for the Wikimedia projects like Wikipedia, Wikispecies and the Bengali community. ~ Moheen (talk) 07:26, 6 September 2016 (UTC)
- A bold and ambitious project by one of the most prolific Bengali wikimedians. Wiki Loves Butterfly has great potential and the team has already shown promising progress, with many photographs of Butterflies from various parts of West Bengal being uploaded to Commons and creation of articles on bn.wiki; even with zero funding and prior to applying for this Grant.