Learning patterns/Number of images or media used in Wikimedia projects
Number of images or media used in Wikimedia projects
problemMedia contributions are most valuable when they are integrated into Wikimedia projects.
solutionReport how, where, and how much the media files you contributed have been used.
creator• EGalvez (WMF)
created on26 August, 2014
What problem does this solve?Edit
This learning pattern is for the global metric to obtain the total number of images or media used on Wikimedia articles (or main namespace).
The growth of image upload contests and events have grown in the last few years. It is great to have many images that can be used in commons. However, embedding the images into other projects, like the Wikipedias, Wikivoyage, or Wikisource, would increase the quality of the other projects.
What is the solution?Edit
- Images or media USED signifies that an image or media is present in a Wikimedia project other than Wikimedia Commons.
- Main namespace is the article namespace, and is always labeled as namespace 0. (read more here)
How to measureEdit
|1. Create a Category in Commons|
|2. Use GLAMorous tool to get your data"|
|Use GLAMorous to see how many images from your event, project or program are used in Wikimedia projects.
Other Ways to ReportEdit
- If total number of images uploaded is important for your program, you may report a proportion of distinct images used over the total images uploaded; you must show your work in the "explanation" column. For example, if your event had 5,000 images uploaded to commons and 10 were used in wikimedia projects, the number for the global metric is 0.002. In the "explanation" column, you would include the equation: 10 distinct images used / 5,000 images uploaded, or you can use a sentence: Of the 5,000 distinct images uploaded to commons from the event, 10 were used in wikimedia projects.
- This metric is one of 6 Global Metrics in the Learning patterns
- Global metrics is just a few of the suggested metrics for program evaluation. There may be other measures you can use for your program.
When to useEdit
Number of images or media used in Wikimedia projects is one of six metrics designated by the Wikimedia Foundation's Grantmaking team as a Global Metric. The reason these metrics have been specified is to be able to have a summary of all the participation or content that can be attributed to the programs.
- EGalvez (WMF)
- This tool was a huge help in preparing the final report for the Commons app IEG, and seeing the number of images uploaded with our app that were used in Wikimedia projects was excellent motivation. Misaochan (talk) 16:10, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
- Number of newly registered users
- Number of active editors involved
- Number of individuals involved
- Number of images or media used in Wikimedia projects
- Number of articles created or improved in Wikimedia projects
- Number of bytes added and removed from Wikimedia projects
- Learning question: Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?