I do answer emails, more or less promptly; or you can leave me a message.

Talk archives
  • 2006-2012 -- in which I do various meta-projects, write the LSS, help run a bunch of Wikimanias, and spend two years on the Board

Usurp request at the Dutch WikipediaEdit

Dear Phoebe, just in case you've missed it, I've responded to your request at the Dutch Wikipedia. Please let me know if you have any questions. Kind regards, Mathonius (talk) 18:13, 5 March 2013 (UTC)

  • Thanks! Yes, I do wish to usurp phoebe@nl.wikipedia. -- phoebe | talk 21:10, 5 March 2013 (UTC)
    • Hello Phoebe, I've renamed the local account, so you should now be able to usurp the name at the Dutch Wikipedia. Mathonius (talk) 19:15, 18 March 2013 (UTC)


I am finally cleaning up my SUL accounts. :) -- phoebe | talk 21:10, 5 March 2013 (UTC)

You're welcome!Edit

Yeah I noticed that too when I clicked on the link, I didn't even realise we had a page about the Advisory Board on Meta! It seems like those meeting pages are the only ones on Meta, so I agree with the soft redirect. Where do you think we should move the meeting pages? Keep them here or maybe import them to Foundation wiki? Thehelpfulone 21:00, 23 April 2013 (UTC)

Improving qualityEdit

Thank you for that frank and intelligent answer. I too think the wording of that particular strategic goal was problematical for the reasons you gave, but the goal in general is of course intrinsic to our purpose here.

I think that the quality of our content depends to some extent on improving the basics like the visual editor. (Busy potential expert contributors just bounce off the site when they're confronted with wikicode.) So, building tools for new and experienced editors is essential to improving quality. And support for on-the-ground groups to do outreach is, possibly, important, depending on the nature of the outreach. (I am of the view that chapters are all but useless in the first world, and that the apparent need for them is a manifestation of the poor user interface and TLDR/labyrinthine and sometimes (in the case of Commons) impenetrable and incomplete instructions.) Yes, liaison is poor between the volunteer community and the Foundation. Witness this lalala I can't hear you you morons response to the community's very valid complaint about the Echo/Notifications implementation, and the current brouhaha over sudden desysopping of most volunteers at the Foundation website.

I see the Foundation backing off from community management roles, such as the North American education initiative, and that pleases me. But I do believe there is a role for the Foundation in the many "meta" functions (such as research and analytics, and many others) that are not being completely or well taken up by volunteers.

I was disappointed to discover no one was tasked with at least analysing the different efforts within the movement for the improvement of content quality, such as the GA and FA processes at en.WP, and http://wikimedical.jmir.org/ at Wiki Project Med, or conducting research into the accuracy, completeness and readability of our content across categories. That kind of thing would be a far better use of donations than Wiki Loves Monuments-type initiatives.

Finally, the main function of board members in most US charities is fundraising. In our charity, that is pretty much taken care of by the staff. I would like this board to take on the task, personally through their own contacts, or publicly through the media, of persuading experts in every field to take responsibility for the Wikipedia articles in their field. Best of luck with this election. You have my vote. --Anthonyhcole (talk) 18:25, 11 May 2013 (UTC)

Thanks, that's very kind. Interesting point about quality analysis. I've been involved in the larger research community too, and quality analysis seems like a good area for the WMF staff and outside academic researchers to work together.
And yes, the Board is expected to do a large amount of outreach. I think we all do it in our own ways. I certainly saw the board seat as a good way to do outreach to the library community (as it raised my own visibility to get speaking invitations etc.). The next time we write a board seat description I'd certainly support emphasizing outreach -- thanks for bringing this up. -- phoebe | talk 19:38, 12 May 2013 (UTC)


But the question is, is it an effective meant state?

Also, you will appreciate this: today I received a copy of 'Thomas Davies... a keepsake.". SJ talk  19:49, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

:) it took me some googling, and then a few minutes to think "now where have I heard that name, and why do I want to call him Bernie"? But that is of course how he's referred to in library lore around here :) -- phoebe | talk 00:38, 17 May 2013 (UTC)
p.s. my favorite picture on that timeline is [1] - spectacular. -- phoebe | talk 00:38, 17 May 2013 (UTC)

Candidate statementEdit

Hi Phoebe - Please note that I have trimmed your candidate statement to 1200 characters, as specified by the published rules of the election. You may wish to confirm that it still appropriately conveys the points you wish to convey, or rewrite it if not. I left the trimmed part in the raw wikicode, so you should be able to see it in the edit mode. For the election committee, Philippe (WMF) (talk) 01:44, 17 May 2013 (UTC)

Pardon? It was under 1200 -- not counting spaces, which is how we've counted it in the past. Can you clarify? -- phoebe | talk 02:58, 17 May 2013 (UTC)

The SignpostEdit

Dear Phoebe,

I've emailed you on a Signpost matter.

Kind regards, Tony (talk) 01:59, 18 May 2013 (UTC)


Thanks Phoebe! Very glad to see you run too. :) Raystorm (talk) 09:38, 18 May 2013 (UTC)

Olé! Congrats! :-D Raystorm (talk) 10:31, 26 June 2013 (UTC)

Important announcement: Election delayed by one weekEdit

The Election Committee regrets to advise that it is necessary to delay the start of voting in the WMF Elections 2013 for one week. This delay is being implemented for three reasons:

  • We have been unable to verify that the list of eligible voters is complete and that all voters meet the published criteria
  • We have been unable to verify that the SecurePoll setups for the election are properly functioning
  • The voter interfaces have not been translated and are not currently available in any language other than English, thus disadvantaging Wikimedians who do not read English.

The following changes are now made to the Election timeline:

  • 8-22 June 2013: elections
  • 23-25 June 2013: vote-checking
  • 25-28 June: publication of results.

For the Election Committee, Risker (talk) 20:53, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

Wikimania - Advocacy BlockEdit

Hi, I am Dimi and presenting the [EU Policy] project in Hong Kong. You wrote a note that it would be nice to have advocacy block to talk about the issues. As the legal stream of the conference is rather scattered (Mathias Schindler's presentation on PD for government works (WMDE) isn't even part of that stream) and there is no unconference day on Monday, it might be possible to organise something during the two preconference days. If you're up for it I'd be willing to co-organise a meet-up on the topic of advocacy. Dimi z (talk)

Hi Dimi! I think it would be a good idea. I wish there was a track to organize unconference meetings throughout the conference... the preconference days are busy. I'm not sure I can help organize a meeting, but it seems like it would fit naturally with the chapter meetings. best, -- phoebe | talk 12:55, 25 June 2013 (UTC)

Questions regarding electionsEdit


I have some questions regarding your candidate submission.

  1. Chapter financing. For the last years I hear from different chapters about the problems of financing their activities using WMF money. What do you thing about it? Did WMF done everything possible to solve this problem? What WMF should do in the future in the area of financing projects run by Chapters? What is the role of Chapters within Wikimedia movment? Do you think they still should be prefered upon other organisations like Amical (Catalunyan support group)?
  2. Sucess of projects. What do you think, about the succesfull projects? How doest it come that some projects seems not to be so much sucessful as Wikipedia? Was the help to the lest sucessfull projects sufficient? Should WMF close non succesfull projects? How should WMF handle with non sucessfull projects and which are they?

Regard and sorry for working. Hopefully you will got it,

--Juandev (talk) 09:43, 10 June 2013 (UTC)

Hi Juan... there are many big questions here... I will have to think some about the answers. -- phoebe | talk 22:56, 13 June 2013 (UTC)
Congratulations! It will be good to see you back on the Board. SJ talk  00:50, 25 June 2013 (UTC)
you too, Mr. Klein, you too :) -- phoebe | talk 12:54, 25 June 2013 (UTC)

Congratulations. We all winEdit

Congratulations on the election, Phoebe. This is not just a win for you or me, it's a win for the entire Wikimedia movement. Having your help on the board will benefit everybody across the entire project.

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my question. Of course I was hoping for some good anwsers, but I had no idea somebody could provide an answer that exceeded my expectations. You set the bar very high. There were some strong candidates and a lot of difficult questions—and you outshined everybody. Well done. I am so very pleased that we'll be having your support and I thank you kindly for offering to serve on the board. You efforts will be a great help to this project that serves all of humanity. This is a very joyous day for all of us. Thank you very much and congratulations. 00:53, 25 June 2013 (UTC)

Aw, thank you! I think everyone had good answers; it was a good field of candidates. best, -- phoebe | talk 12:53, 25 June 2013 (UTC)
  • Congratulations on your win in WMF board Election. Best wishes --Arjunaraoc (talk) 07:03, 27 June 2013 (UTC)
   Auguri e in bocca al lupo, Phoebe!  Klaas|Z4␟V
  08:06, 27 June 2013 (UTC)
Thanks! -- phoebe | talk 23:52, 28 June 2013 (UTC)

Internal/Private wiki discussionEdit

Hi Phoebe, following on from the question about the private wikis during the board elections, please could you add your thoughts on moving things forward at Talk:Wikimedia_wikis#Are we re-purposing Internal?. Thanks! :-) Thehelpfulone 00:05, 12 July 2013 (UTC)

Internet Archive fireEdit

Hi Phoebe, No doubt you've heard already, but a fire hit the IA scanning center in SF. No injuries, and damage was limited to equipment and materials in the process of scanning, but there will likely still have been a few irreplaceable items lost. :-(

They're estimating they need to raise about $600 K to get scanning back up and running. I'm wondering if there's anything WMF can do to help them out, perhaps with a loan in kind. It seems to me like their mission is pretty closely aligned with WMF's, they have certainly been very useful and helpful to WP editors.

Do you think this is worth pursuing with WMF, or has it no hope of progressing? LeadSongDog (talk) 13:46, 8 November 2013 (UTC)

Hey LeadSongDog -- sorry I didn't reply. Yes, this was a real shame. I brought it up with Sue and we are certainly willing to help out. AFAIK we are still in discussion about what they might need -- I think a lot of the damage was covered by insurance. -- phoebe | talk 18:00, 11 December 2013 (UTC)
It seems they are still fundraising to cover it as of today. Glad to hear of the positive response though. On a (very slightly) related line, is there any chance that a WM site might host a proxy, portal, or local web-instance to access their bookreader? I know that many firewalls blanket-block all access to *.archive.org for reasons that relate to the video or software, but, well, "books is books". I'm increasingly concerned about how many cited sources are unnecessarily obscure, and from the wp:V point of view, this could only help. LeadSongDog (talk) 20:45, 18 December 2013 (UTC)

Resolution:Media about living peopleEdit

Thanks. JKadavoor Jee 06:24, 6 December 2013 (UTC)

Welcome. Maria led the development of this resolution. FYI to all, the discussion is here. -- phoebe | talk 18:04, 11 December 2013 (UTC)

Why Did You Support Granting Private Information of Editors to Anonymous Administrators?Edit

Dear Ms. Ayers,

I am dismayed that you and the rest of the board of trustees approved an "Access to No-Public Information" policy that allows totally anonymous administrators on the English and all the other Wikipedias to see the IPs and other potentially personally-identifying information (browser version, settings) of volunteer editors. Even though not usually immediately identifying in itself, this information can obviously be used as a stepladder to identifying through tools like Geolocate and TraceIP, as well as supporting indicators in websearching other clues from the editor's edit history.

Would you please inform me the factors that led to your support of the non-identification revision to the policy? Why would you have done this?

For your reference (https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Access_to_nonpublic_data_policy) "[t]his policy has been replaced by a new Access to non public information policy, which was approved by the Board of Trustees on 25 April 2014."

I don't deny that Wikipedia's administrative participants in some cases do constructive work, in policing clear vandalism for example, or reporting to the WMF the rare cases of threats of violence. But access to personally-identifying information is not needed for that. If there are cases where volunteer administrative participants do somehow need that information, it should be entrusted to identified individuals, not anonymous usernames like "Wizardman" and "Beeblebrox" and "Dord" and so forth. Authorizing checkuser and the other tools to anonymous participants is going to attract, and has attracted, exactly the wrong kind of individuals. It's emboldening, frankly, creepers and cyberbullies. And those who participate in Wikipedia as if it were an online computer roleplaying game, without regard to the fact that those they choose to sniff and snoop (and pursue) are actually people as opposed to a computer game's NPCs (non-player characters).

Have you ever been snooped and sniffed, cyberbullied, websearched, by some creep online? I have, and it's not nice. I think if you'd been treated that way, and really understood the reality of the cyberbully culture, that you'd stand up now and reverse your support of the WMF's granting of these invasive privacy-violating tools to wholly anonymous and thus unaccountable administrative participants. Is that what it's going to take for you to change your mind? Somebody has to do it to you?

Please respond as to why you supported granting access to IP-invasive and potentially personally-identifying tools like checkuser to anonymous administrative participants.

Colton Cosmic (talk) 16:11, 11 July 2014 (UTC)

WMF board resolution on user rights processEdit

Please urgently get this topic/resolution scheduled for a meeting, discussed and voted; and express your opinions on the noticeboard. Thanks for your work, Nemo 20:57, 8 May 2015 (UTC)

Check your email [Election]Edit

Signpost inquiryEdit

Hi, I've emailed you (through the pre-existing address I had—Meta has throttled me temporarily!). Tony (talk) 16:38, 10 May 2015 (UTC)

hey user:Tony1, I'm not seeing anything from you -- try phoebe.ayers @ gmail. Thanks! -- phoebe | talk 17:43, 10 May 2015 (UTC)

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections 2015Edit

Dear candidate. My general opinion about administration of Wikimedia is negative. Many texts and images had been removed with pretext of protection of rights of the owners of the copyright owners. The special permissions by the copyright owners were just ignored, and removed together with the files. In particular, this refers to images of the Soviet dissidents and their texts.

Below I suggest only few examples in order to let you know what is happening: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sofiya_Kalistratova&oldid=649939072 https://ru.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Софья_Васильевна_Каллистратова&oldid=93595 https://ru.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Леонард_Борисович_Терновский&type=revision&diff=1312548&oldid=585736

I investigated the case and I revealed that many removals were performed by bureaucrat Lozman, who has absolutely no experience with obtaining permission from the copyright owners and does not even remember, who made him bureaucrat. However, this is only example.

Sorry for being late, but I just received the invitation to vote. You still have two days to change my opinion about at least one of the candidates suggested. One example of complain by the author is available at site TORI, http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/t/index.php/Kouznetsov,_permission I mention it because it has English version, although many Russian authors were offended in the similar way.

Now I formulate the question:

Do you think it is still possible to handle the cases mentioned?

Do you think that you can find time to deal with the cases mentioned?

Sincerely, Domitori (talk) 08:10, 28 May 2015 (UTC)

Meta Collaboration of the Month for June 2015: Events!Edit

Events (discuss) has been selected as the first-ever Meta Collaboration of the Month for June 2015! Join the fun there and in the discussions.--Pharos (talk) 18:59, 1 June 2015 (UTC)

Did you ever attend Wikimania with your money? Talk to us!Edit

TL;DR: Fill a short Wikimania survey, it takes 5 min.

Hi, I'm writing you because you are listed in Wikimania/Frequent attendees. As you probably know by now, Wikimania 2016 Esino Lario wants to achieve a Wikimania format which allows people to "get things done" and leave the conference fully satisfied with the result of their investment of time and other resources (see pillars 2 and 4: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario/Pillars ). For this purpose, we consider all audiences (see https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario/Program#Target ).

Participants other than scholarship recipients and reimbursed representatives are one group we heard very little from, but we think they are important because: 1) they have financial resources and help make the Wikimania budget sustainable; 2) they have motivation to share and ideas on what makes Wikimania valuable.

We set up a form mainly to collect names of some such people and talk with them later: if you provide your contact, we may write you on this topic. We may release aggregate data from the resposes; data will be handled by us and the Wikimania 2016 fiscal sponsor "Ecomuseo delle Grigne" (under EU law). Please fill the whole form, it's short!

Feel free to forward this invite to anyone.

Federico Leva and Martin Rulsch
Wikimania 2016 team, scholarships subteam
08:30, 11 September 2015 (UTC)

Please sign new Wikimedia confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information by 31 DecemberEdit

This is a message from the Wikimedia Foundation. Translations are available.

As you may know, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees approved a new "Access to nonpublic information policy" on 25 April 2014 after a community consultation. The former policy has remained in place until the new policy could be implemented. That implementation work is now being done, and we are beginning the transition to the new policy.

An important part of that transition is helping volunteers like you sign the required confidentiality agreement. All Wikimedia volunteers with access to nonpublic information are required to sign this new agreement, and we have prepared some documentation to help you do so.

The Wikimedia Foundation is requiring that OTRS volunteers sign the new confidentiality agreement by 31 December 2015 to retain their access. You are receiving this email because you have been identified as an OTRS volunteer and are required to sign the confidentiality agreement under the new policy. If you do not sign the new confidentiality agreement by 31 December 2015, you will lose your OTRS access. OTRS volunteers have a specific agreement available, if you have recently signed the general confidentiality agreement for another role (such as CheckUser or Oversight), you do not need to sign the general agreement again, but you will still need to sign the OTRS agreement.

Signing the confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is conducted and tracked using Legalpad on Phabricator. We have prepared a guide on Meta-Wiki to help you create your Phabricator account and sign the new agreement: Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information/How to sign

If you have any questions or experience any problems while signing the new agreement, please visit this talk page or email me (gvarnum wikimedia.org). Again, please sign this confidentiality agreement by 31 December 2015 to retain your OTRS access. If you do not wish to retain this access, please let me know and we will forward your request to the appropriate individuals.

Thank you,
Gregory Varnum (User:GVarnum-WMF), Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 21:20, 28 September 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?Edit

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:33, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

Future IdeaLab Campaigns resultsEdit

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:55, 26 January 2016 (UTC)

Harassment workshopEdit

Greetings! You are receiving this message because, at some point in the past, you have participated in a discussion around the topic of harassment. The Support and Safety team is holding a series of consultations gathering feedback on the best potential solutions to the problem. The next stage is a workshop where we hope to narrow the focus to individual actionable ideas and explore how to bring some of these ideas to life.

Best regards, the Support and Safety team via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:35, 17 February 2016 (UTC)

Open Call for Individual Engagement GrantsEdit

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:57, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Survey on content curation & review Inspire CampaignEdit

Thanks for your participation in IdeaLab during the Inspire Campaign focused on improving content curation & review processes from February to March 2016. I'm interested in hearing your feedback about your participation during campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating.

Immediate results of the campaign can be found here. Please feel free to review them and let me know if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 02:31, 26 May 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)


Hello. When you uploaded File:Phoebe1.jpg, you did not specify complete source and copyright information. Another user subsequently tagged it with {{GFDL-presumed}} and, for some time, it has existed on Meta-Wiki under the assumption that you created the image and you agreed to license it under the GFDL. This assumption, however well-meaning, is not legally sufficient and the tag is being phased out. Images using it are being deleted. This image has been tagged for deletion and will be deleted in one week if adequate copyright information is not provided.

If you, personally, are the author of this content, meaning that you took the photograph yourself or you created the chart yourself (and it does not use any clipart that you did not create), please retag the image with a free image copyright tag that correctly describes your licensing intentions, usually {{GFDL-self}} or {{PD-self}}. Please also make sure if you have not already done so that you write a good description of what the image depicts, when you took the photo, and other important details. This will allow Meta-Wiki to continue using the image.

If you did not create the image or if it is derived from the copyrighted works of others, please keep in mind that most images on the internet are copyrighted and are not suitable for use on Meta-Wiki. Meta-Wiki respects the copyrights of others and does not use images unless we know that they have been freely licensed. Any creative work is automatically copyrighted, even if it lacks a copyright notice. Unless the copyright holder has specifically disclaimed their rights to the image and released it under the GFDL or another compatible license, we cannot use it. If you did not create the image, simply do nothing and it will be deleted in a week.

Please feel free to contact me on my talk page or leave a message at Meta:Babel with any questions you may have. Thank you. Green Giant (talk) 16:06, 8 April 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia Library User Group is being renamed!Edit

Hello! In the past few months, the Wikipedia Library User Group has been undergoing some major planning and developments. We just finished our very first open call with the user group members, which was a great success (see the meeting minutes). If you joined us during the meeting, we’d like to thank you for your interest. If not, not to worry, we have lots of things planned for the user group in which you can participate.

This message is to inform you that based on the input received from the user group members and the founding members, it was agreed that the Wikipedia Library User Group’s name be reconsidered by a voting process. As a valued member of the user group, we’d like to invite you to vote on the list of potential names. You can vote by following this link. The poll will run for a timeframe of two weeks. Sent by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of user group founding members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 02:59, 17 October 2017 (UTC)

Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee ElectionEdit

Hi Phoebe! As promised by the Wikipedia Library team at the inception of the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group, we are conducting an open-election for the steering committee with 5 to 8 positions. Nominations will be accepted from 3 January 2018 to 9 January 2018. If you are interested in being a part of this committee, you can nominate yourself starting January 2nd next year. This position should attract Wikipedians and librarians with dedication and time to lead the user group in its first year. The elections will happen following the nominations phase starting from 10 January 2018 to 23 January 2018. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact WikiLibraryUG [at] googlegroups [dot] com. A message will be sent shortly before the dates linking to the venue for nominations and election. Thank you! On behalf of the user group founding members--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 04:40, 13 December 2017 (UTC)

Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election Nomination PhaseEdit

Hello again Phoebe! As stated in our previous message, nominations for the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group steering committee elections are now open and will remain open until the 9th. If you are interested and have read the instructions, please nominate yourself on the election page. Please forward your queries to libraries lists.wikimedia.org, and for private correspondence, please get in touch with one of the founding members. And finally, wishing you a prosperous and happy new year on behalf of the user group founding members! On behalf of the user group founding members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:00, 3 January 2018 (UTC)

Updates on the user group election and #1Lib1RefEdit

Hi everyone, two quick but important updates:

Timeline for nominations and votingEdit

  • Nominations are extended until 12 January 2018.
  • Candidates will be lightly vetted by the Founding Members (excluding those who are candidates) to help form a well-functioning committee.
  • Vetting will happen from the 13th up to 21 January 2018.
  • Voting will begin on the 22nd of January and end on the 4th of February.
  • To be able to vote, editors must have joined the usergroup before the 21st of January.
  • Results will be announced on or before the 10th of February.

How you can support #1lib1refEdit

On behalf of the Founding Members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:50, 10 January 2018 (UTC)

Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election Voting PhaseEdit

Hello once again! We are happy to announce that the steering committee election 2018 is now open for voting. Because you have joined the user group by 21 January 2018, you are eligible to vote. As mentioned under the instructions for voters, you can vote support for multiple candidates, at most one support for each candidate. Also, oppose votes are not allowed, but discussions are welcome on the talk page.

On behalf of the Founding Members --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:24, 22 January 2018 (UTC)

Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election ResultsEdit

Hello everyone! The steering committee election for the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group is finally over and the results you were patiently awaiting for is here! We had many great candidates with awesome skillsets and experience, unfortunately not everyone could make it to the final eight. We are grateful to all the candidates for stepping up and boldly throwing their hat in the ring. It was a difficult choice and they made it. Now, the results. The candidates who made it to the final eight are,

On behalf of the founding members, the TWL team and the user group members, we congratulate the candidates on their successful run and welcome them to the committee. The steering committee and the founding members will soon meet to discuss the handover and next steps of the user group. Thank you--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:56, 16 February 2018 (UTC)

What's new from the Wikimedia and Libraries User GroupEdit

Hi Phoebe! Greetings from the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group. Yes, you heard that right! We are now officially known as the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group (previously, Wikipedia Library User Group). New group contacts are User:Merrilee and User:Sodapopinski7. The elected steering committee has been meeting twice a month ever since their election, working on the organisation and details of user group functioning. Progress is being made and we'd like to keep the members updated.
  • The committee decided to use the libraries lists.wikimedia.org and has started making announcements on the list. Please join the list for future announcements and for internal discussions and communications.
  • The latest meeting minutes of the steering committee meeting (May 14-15, 2018) is now available on Meta.

On behalf of the steering committee,


via--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:47, 27 May 2018 (UTC)

Wikimedia and Libraries User Group updates and WikimaniaEdit

Hi Phoebe! Greetings from the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group. Thank you for participating in the poll to help the steering committee plan activities for the year 2018. We received 84 responses, and the results can be found on the resources page. In addition to that, there are a few more things we'd like to share with you.

If you are attending Wikimania,

Bon voyage and have a wonderful Wikimania!

If you are not attending Wikimania, we have you covered too!

  • Please help us plan activities for this year by sharing your suggestions on how to implement the top two ideas from the poll results. The discussion is open on the user group talk page.
  • The latest meeting minutes of the steering committee meeting (June 28-29, 2018) is now available on Meta.

On behalf of the steering committee,


via--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:02, 14 July 2018 (UTC)

Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee Election Voting PhaseEdit

Hello Phoebe! We are happy to announce that the steering committee election 2019 is now open for voting. Because you have joined the user group before 28 February 2019, you are eligible to vote. Not unlike last year, you can vote support for multiple candidates, at most one support for each candidate. Also, oppose votes are not allowed, but discussions are welcome on the talk page.

On behalf of the steering committee,


via--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:43, 20 February 2019 (UTC)

Mix'n'match and soweego: call for supportEdit

Dear @Phoebe:


First, thank you for being a Mix'n'match [2] user.

Does the name soweego ring you a bell?
It's a machine learning system that links Wikidata to large catalogs [3].
It's a close friend of Mix'n'match, which mainly caters for small catalogs.

The latest catalogs uploaded by soweego need some love: why don't you check them out?
If you are a music enthusiast, Discogs and MusicBrainz are what you need: musicians [4], [5], bands [6], [7], and records [8], [9].
Are you passionate about cinema? IMDb is there with actors [10], directors [11], musicians [12], producers [13], writers [14], and movies [15].

I would be really grateful if you could support soweego with a GitHub star:


--Hjfocs (talk) 04:17, 24 October 2019 (UTC)

Sunday September 20 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

Birds of a feather flock together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August SWAN meeting and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday September 20, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 02:10, 19 September 2020 (UTC)

Sunday October 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

Friendship is a movement value.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the September and August SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday October 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 16:45, 22 October 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021: InvitationEdit

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

18:25, 20 November 2020 (UTC)

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 01:30, 27 November 2020 (UTC)

WikiConference North America 2020 registrationEdit

Thank you for signing up to attend WikiConference North America 2020! If you haven't already, it would be much appreciated if you could also take a minute to register through our form at register.wcna.wiki. While not required, this will help us keep you informed via email, and will also help give us an idea of attendance numbers over the next three days. Thank you, ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 19:07, 10 December 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021Edit

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

16:09, 11 December 2020 (UTC)

Art+Feminism Virtual Event GuideEdit

Hi @Phoebe: Thank you for all your work in the WikiConference_North_America/2020! Following up on your affiliates intro, Art+Feminism User Group has recently released a Virtual Event Guide (currently being translated to French and Spanish) on our new website. I'd love to talk more! Feel free to respond here or email me directly! --Kiraface (talk) 13:28, 14 December 2020 (UTC)

Thank you!Edit

Phoebe, I'd like to thank you for all the Herculean work you did to bring WikiConference North America to life during this difficult year. It was a real treat to be able to participate. --TrudiJ (talk) 13:55, 15 December 2020 (UTC)

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 15:07, 4 January 2021 (UTC)