Talk:Wikipedia & Education User Group

Active discussions

Welcome to out Talk Page!

Please feel free to open a new thread if you have any questions, or if you'd like to take on a task.

Frequently Asked Questions & AnswersEdit

Since submitting our application for the Wikipedia & Education User Group, we’ve received various questions about our goals and intentions. The following Q & A is meant to help clarify our mission and relations with other affiliates in the movement. Please feel free to add questions if you have ones, and we'll be sure to answer them as soon as we can. Best, Shani Evenstein. 11:36, 3 December 2017 (UTC)

Q: Does the User Group’s work clash with chapters and affiliates?
A: No. We aim to enhance that work and make sure that common needs across affiliates globally are heard and dealt with.

Q: How will the WMF’s education team be involved? How will the education team determine who to send new contacts to?
A: That is a question for the WMF’s education team. What we can say is that we have worked and will continue to work in full collaboration and transparency with all parties involved, both the WMF team and other affiliates, in order to advance Education programs around the world.

Q: How is what we’re doing different from what the WMF education team is doing?
A: The WMF education team consists of 3 people, who cannot be expected to support everything that is happening globally. They have considerably less experience running programmatic activities on the ground, compared with volunteers around the world who have been running educational collaborations and can offer support both as mentors and as a source of shared resources. Moreover, the WMF Education team has a limited budget, which to date does not cover the global education needs of the movement, especially not when it comes to technological infrastructure, such as developing the Programs & Events Dashboard; nor do they create new resources that could be used globally. These are all areas in which the UG can complement and enhance what the WMF Education team is already doing, as written above, in collaboration with them and with other affiliates.

Q: Will the User Group be doing programmatic work?
A: Not initially, but we’re not saying no. We don’t intend to do local work, but in the future we might want to facilitate collaborations with global, like-minded organizations, such as the UN & UNESCO. The stress here is on facilitating, as the way we envision it, collaborating with global organizations will translate to local activities. To that end, we will be using our global network within the movement, to coordinate and support that work locally by affiliates who choose to collaborate. In this, it is not different than work done by WikiProject Medicine Foundation UG or the Wikipedia Library UG that facilitate global collaborations, which are then translated to local work in collaboration with other affiliates.

Q: What is the membership model? Who can join the group?
A: That is something for the UG to decide on as it becomes a formal affiliate, but our initial thoughts are that a “member” could be anyone who actively contributes to Wiki in Education initiatives around the world and shares our vision and goals and wants to invest time in these global needs.

Updated answer to AffCom's request:
Anyone who is committed to the field of Wikimedia in Education, as well as people interested in getting involved in it, are welcome to share in and participate in the co-creation of knowledge. We wish that members will endeavor to share what they are learning on the field and take advantage of the sharing that is done within the group, the movement and the field of education.
Expected participation:There will be regular and special events where all members are invited to discuss common challenges that relate directly to the Education component of the movement. While participation is not compulsory, active participation is strongly encouraged. Support will be provided to new members by encouraging active mentorship when needed or requested.
The formal process of becoming a member before the UG is approved, requires registering in the group’s meta page, inserting a username. After the UG is formally approved and a board is elected, a “membership admin” will be assigned. Members will be asked to fill out a membership form with personal details, so the UG can track its members formally. The membership admin will be responsible to review new applications, send a welcome message, register new members to the mailing list etc.
Individual Program Leaders, Soon-to-be education program leaders, and education specialists that are staff of Affiliates are welcome to join and participate in the experience sharing and knowledge building of the group.

Q: What’s the governance of the User Group?
A: That is an important decision that will be determined only once the User Group is officially formed, in order to allow as many people as possible to participate in the process. We do not feel comfortable making decisions about issues such as governance at this moment, as they might be superseded once the User Group is formally established.

Updated answer to AffCom's request:
General Assembly, which takes place online, involves all members of the user group. All members of the user group are eligible to nominate themselves, even if they are members of other affiliates in the movement or employees of affiliates.
After the nomination period, elections will be held. Members will cast their votes for members of the board on a dedicated Meta page. The 5 members with most votes will become the User Group’s board members. In the case of a tie, a new vote is cast by the general assembly among the members that are tied, until a majority of votes can be identified.
Board members will be elected for a period of 2 years. The elected board will be responsible to run the next elections and will announce elections publicly.
Role and responsibilities of the Board:
  • The Board is the decision-making organ of the User Group, and coordinates activities for the User Group, in collaboration with other members.
  • The board will hold monthly (or bi-monthly) online meetings, after which decisions will be published on-wiki, except those where delicate, personal affairs are discussed.
  • The Board will elect internally the following roles:
    • Chairperson
    • Secretary
    • Treasurer
    • Membership admin
  • The Board will publish an annual report as required by all WMF affiliates.

Q: Who will set global strategic direction for the User Group?
A: Once the UG is officially formed, we will choose a governing body. This body will work on setting strategic yearly goals, in collaboration with interested members of the organization.

Q: User Groups are usually geographic rather than thematic. Why is there a need for a global thematic group?
A: Mainly because although most of the work is done locally and will continue to be so, there are similar needs across the world, and to-date, those needs are usually not being met.

Task: Logo designEdit

I can take this task. Justine.toms. Justine.toms (talk) 12:48, 6 June 2017 (UTC)

Wonderful. Thanks for your willingness to help, Justine. We'll start working on that after we announce and other people have a chance to sign up. :) Best, Shani Evenstein 19:06, 7 June 2017 (UTC)

Task: Determine communication channel(s)Edit

I can help here. Justine.toms. Justine.toms (talk) 12:48, 6 June 2017 (UTC)

Wonderful, again! Thanks. Let's see who else is interested and you can form a working group. Best, Shani Evenstein 19:06, 7 June 2017 (UTC)
Justine.toms,Shani Evenstein i can also help in Communication Channels particularly to make Collaboration with Others about Education Outreach. And i think we should create a new strategy regarding this. Thanks. Mohammed Galib Hasan (talk) 14:13, 13 June 2017 (UTC)
Certainly. This is part of what needs to happen this year. For now, we first need to be recognized as a user groupץ When that happens, we can divide into user groups and start working on specific *global* topics. Best, Shani Evenstein 18:04, 13 June 2017 (UTC)

Task: Determine governanceEdit

This is of course a task that should involve many members, especially the founding organizers of the UG. I am happy to help with this work, hoping that many members sign up. --Joalpe (talk) 14:51, 13 June 2017 (UTC)

Count me in as being interested. I was one of the original Collab members when that started several years ago in Prague.Thelmadatter (talk) 15:23, 13 June 2017 (UTC)
I'm guessing that the work on governance will be one of the first tasks of the future board. --FiliP ██ 18:25, 17 August 2018 (UTC)

Education Lunch @ Wikimania 2017Edit

I captured some rough notes and context from the lunch that happened on Sunday, August 13, 2017. Please feel free to correct anything that is misrepresented! I didn't attribute any comments.

Introductions Participants from : Iceland, US, Ecuador, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Argentina, Ivory Coast, UK, Sweden, Iran (didn’t capture specific names/users, sorry!)

Review Mission and Goals from Meta page No immediate comments on the mission.

Reviewing the goals

  • Advocacy
    • Win-win-win is too simplistic. There are lots of pros and cons for each participant (institution, teacher, community)
    • Add point about impact on the projects — actually are contributing in significant quality and quantity in terms of content, especially around internal advocacy
    • Advocating for the important impact that we are all doing at the local level. We as an educaiton movement have an impact on the broader movement. We’re stronger together.
  • Securing and distributing resources
    • learning exchange bit sounds a bit like education collab?
    • Focus on tools, access to resources
    • Creating a shared central resource collection that individual program leaders can use to meet their needs. One of the challenges is looking at the role of the local individual or affiliate. The goal of this group is to provide resources/tools that can be localized, to support local efforts
    • Example of using Israel’s rubric, that was then translated into spanish by WMAR, which could then be used in Ecuador
    • Missing the purpose: furthering the goals of the chapters and local groups. Making this clearer would be helpful.
    • Create and share practical instructional resources that help affiliates and individuals scale and grow the efficacy of their goals.
    • Assumes there is a center? Is there no central budget? Perhaps too precise and makes assumptions about where this goes?
    • One of the struggles has been there is concern that chapters feel threatened that this group will start running programs. This group will be a network that is supportive of existing work, and help anyone that wants to start a new program
    • For example as an education manager in a chapter I run programs, important to clarify the different experiences
    • The goal of the group so far has been under knowledge exchange, the implementation has been a role for the local level, be they individuals or affiliates
    • Concern about being too precise, could be a writing issue, having text that helps us without limiting us in 5 years
    • Important that there is a difference (around “facilitation”), the rules of establishing a user group also need some more precision/focus around what the group intends to do
  • Exchange of ideas
    • Where will this project be? Outreach, Meta? Something to figure out at some point
    • “Offer support” (Mentoring) from previous goal could be placed here instead? Perhaps it’s directing people to resources?
    • About the Collab? The Collab is “dead.”
    • Exchange of ideas and “good practice”? That could be added
    • Learn from the post-mortem of the collab? To see how that learning exchange can work better
      • Maybe there are things that worked well? Things that didn’t? Something that we can look at

General points

  • Make sure we hear from non-native English speakers, who can dominate in person discussion
  • Make sure this conversation happens outside this lunch, since it’s not a fully representative group

Things going forward, ideas for participation

  • Contribute to the newsletter a few times a year. One way to commit communicating what we’re doing
  • There could be a time when the group takes over the newsletter; Nichole currently produces the monthly newsletter
  • Newsletter touches an important subject area, when I talk to people at Wikimania, people are not aware of the impact of what we doing in the education part of the movement. Newsletter is a way to share information amongst the group. What are the ways of getting this information out movement, push out in existing channels? What’s the most effective channel? Perhaps the WMF Blog? We need to do more storytelling, it seems. Any other ideas?
  • External outlets beyond the movement about education? Good idea to do WMF Blog, but places with more readership?
  • Blog? Signpost? How do you get your information about what other people in other countries are doing?
  • Newsletters or blogs can be boring. More of the same. What we need more is not informing, but a kind of journalism, essays, innovation. Not just what has been done, but perhaps a human interest story?
  • More use of social media? Twitter, get followed by higher ed
  • Case study, how do we reach the members of the Aff Com more effectively to reach our goals? Facebook? Whatever helps, let’s do that
  • Community news: find it valuable to within the community, would like to see it come more form the community and get more ownership
  • Who are the stakeholders? Answer that question, then you know where you want to be.
  • Multiple channels, it’s a lot of work. If they don’t use FB to seek out news, it’s their loss
  • How this can help us in doing in person communication. The things we hear and see from others, we make use of that knowledge. Okay, on every topic, something on the program and how education can fill diversity gaps. How can this group help us in each of our countries and contexts to reach out to find potential partners. To make sure that our way of thinking is heard in different venues where education is discussed?
  • Monthly online meetings via hangout? One way to keep communication flowing. Make sure that as many people as possible can make it, one way to have exchange on a regular basis.
    • Not what I’m looking for. How to reach partners? Do you need stock language, templates?
    • There should always be something about education when we’re talking about Wikipedia in our country
    • How can we help one another showing the benefits of Wiki in Education
    • Perhaps working groups on different standards that align to programs? 21st century skills
  • IberoCoop has a map with different points where you can find what’s going on in education
    • Countries page on Outreach not meet that need?
  • There are some insights from This Month in GLAM: before subscribing I didn’t have a clear idea of types of GLAM collaboration. Monthly newsletter had a tremendous impact on learning from others around the world. Each month you also have to tell your story to the world. First it connects you to the overall project, but at the end of the month you have to tell what you did that month, making it visible, motivation.
  • Every time we attend a conference or do an outreach activity (workshop, etc) and something happened in a specific field, trying to write a blog post. Sharing learnings and redistribute the report or the blog post to spread the word, don’t have to re-write content again.
  • Education conference? In person meet ups? Monthly call?
    • Showcase and do outreach to local teachers as well
    • 2011 conference in Boston; brought instructors and Wikipedians together; look at the strategic direction of the Wikimedia movement, building bridges; building a bridge between Wikipedia and academic institutions, could be a good way of building bridges.
    • Satellite event in figure international events?
  • Important dates coming up
  • Rotating hosts for meetings? Timezone bias tends to be North American
  • As group grows, may need spaces for face-to-face meetings
  • Look to see what the Wikipedia Library is doing. Have they solved this problem? Can we learn from them? Look to other groups within the movement that are also networks

Other thoughts, comments?

  • November, conference in Brazil, research conference, can submit abstracts until the end of August.
  • Current status? Waiting for Aff Com approval, ongoing process. Stay tuned!

Channels?

  • New mailing list for the user group?
  • Facebook as a channel for organizing the group. Possible to consider alternatives for those not on Facebook

Corrections and additions are welcome! Tighe Flanagan (WMF) (talk) 17:57, 13 August 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia & Education UG Next Steps: Call for a MeetingEdit

Dear all, During Wikimania, representatives from the "Wikipedia & Education User Group" organizing team have met with AffCom.
AffCom members made some suggestions regarding the formation of our group, and though we haven't heard from them officially yet,
we believe their suggestions requires a wider discussion with all interested parties and potential members of the group.
The meeting agenda will focus on next steps, governance, membership and the group's name and will last 1.5 hours.
I have set up a doodle to schedule this meeting. Please fill it out by next Tuesday, August 29th.
By Wed the 30th I'll announce the final date and will send out an invite link for all interested.
Best, Shani (on behalf of the organizing team). Shani Evenstein 09:56, 23 August 2017 (UTC)
PS - this message has been posted on the education mailing list, as well as the Wikipedia & Education FB group to ensure maximum reach & participation.

Dear all, our meeting has been scheduled for this coming Wednesday, September 6th, between 1500-1630 UTC. Here is a link to the hangout. See you all soon, Shani Evenstein. 19:20, 30 August 2017 (UTC)
Tried to join several times, but kept getting the "This video call is full" message -- FULBERT (talk) 15:52, 6 September 2017 (UTC)
FULBERT, sorry to hear that. In the future we'll be using a platform that allows for up to 50 participants, so this shouldn't be an issue going forward. Shani Evenstein. 21:08, 11 November 2018 (UTC)

organizersEdit

I added my name with organizers because i am initiative and interested to be with organizers because i am leading one of the biggest Arab education programs at hashemite university in jordan and i established it from zero until it is now supported financially by the university and well institutionalized as student club at deanship of students affairs but actually i don't know if i do correct by adding my name because i read at the top "Sign up below to join us in organizing"? Or should i request for adding it. BTW TFlanagan-WMF (talk · contribs) knows about my activity and initiatives and I want really to help and joining you here because education program take large amounts of my attention and time. i suggested to my user group to support this user group creation--مصعب (talk) 22:25, 25 April 2018 (UTC) @Esh77: regards--مصعب (talk) 21:39, 14 May 2018 (UTC)

Hello, مصعب. Nice to e-meet you and great to learn about your program in Jordan. You are very much welcome as a member of the forming User Group. All you need to do is sign your name under "members". When AffCom approves this UG (fingers crossed!), we will hold elections. Then you are welcome to nominate yourself to be one of the board members. Till then, we run things together. Best, Shani Evenstein. 15:50, 29 May 2018 (UTC)

Wikipedia & Education User Group: First meeting!Edit

Dear all, now that the Wikipedia & Education User Group has been officially approved and Wikimania is over, it's time to jump-start our activity and start working together again. Exciting, I know! :) To do that, we'd like have an online meeting, where we will share updates and will determine our next steps as a user group, the first of which would be to start an election process to choose a board for our user group. Here's a link to a doodle which will help us determine a time for a meeting. As we are an international crowd, an effort was made to include time slots that might work for different places in the world simultaneously. You should be seeing this in your own time zone. Please vote on the best dates & times for you by next Wednesday, August 15 at midnight (whenever that is :)). A final date will be announced on Thursday, August 16. Who is invited to participate in the meeting? Anyone who's doing work around Wikipedia and its sister projects & Education is invited, no matter where they are from, or from which group or chapter. As long as participants are polite, friendly and ready to work with others, they are welcome! Shani Evenstein. 16:14, 10 August 2018 (UTC)

Dear all, The meeting has been set to Friday, August 17th (tomorrow!), between 17:00-19:00 UTC, which was the date and time most participants of the doodle chose. Here's a link to the hangout. See you tomorrow! Shani Evenstein. 11:55, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
@Esh77: Error with the link Blue Rasberry (talk) 13:48, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
@Bluerasberry: how about now? Shani Evenstein. 14:39, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
Seems fixed... thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:00, 16 August 2018 (UTC)

AgendaEdit

  • Board election
  • Mapping campaign
  • New tools: Dashboard / new?

Elections to the BoardEdit

Dear all, the elections to the board will run till September 30th 2018. Anyone who is a supporter of the User Group can vote here, so please do! Your voice matters. Good luck to all the nominees! Shani Evenstein. 09:02, 22 September 2018 (UTC)

Election resultsEdit

The results from the election are available in his page. The newly elected board is (till December 2020):

Learning Quarterly: November 2018Edit

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 17 / November 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:10, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

2018 Affiliations Committee call for candidatesEdit

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee.

The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee can include up to fifteen members, roughly half of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. Those joining the committee during the current process will serve a two-year term ending in December 2020.

Key skills

Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members, including the following key skills and experience:

- Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
- Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliation, and similar topics.
- Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly two-hour voice/video meeting.
- International orientation.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
- Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organizing are a plus.
- Skills in other languages are a major plus.
- Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
- Strong track record of effective collaboration (such as evidenced skills at facilitation, mediation, negotiation, and so forth) are a major plus.
- Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.

We are looking for people who are excited by the challenge of empowering volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world. In exchange, committee members selected will gain the experience of supporting their world-wide colleagues to develop their communities as well as personal development in guiding organizational development, facilitating affiliate partnerships, and professional communications.

Selection process

As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2018 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/December 2018, and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.

At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, Wikimedia Foundation staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2019, with new members expected to join later that month.

How to apply

If you are interested in joining the committee, please post your application on the nomination page and send an email announcing your application to affcom@lists.wikimedia.org by 31 December 2018. Your application must include the following information:

- Your full name and Wikimedia username
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.
- Answers to the following three questions:

  1. How do you think affiliates work best together to partner on effective projects and initiatives?
  2. What do you see as the role of affiliates in the Wikimedia movement in the next three years?
  3. What do you feel you will bring to the committee that makes you a uniquely qualified candidate?


If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!

Best regards,
Kirill Lokshin
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 06:25, 17 December 2018 (UTC)

Workflow behind the join buttonEdit

Hi folks, the button inviting you to join takes you on a pretty roundabout journey. I think it would be worth linking directly to the application form every time you are inviting someone to join. Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 13:49, 15 February 2019 (UTC)

New Affiliations Committee appointmentsEdit

AffCom is excited to share with you the news that the Wikimedia Foundation Board has unanimously approved the changes to the Bylaws during the last Board meeting on January 30, 2019.

This change allows the participation of User Groups in the Affiliate-selected Board seats (ASBS) 2019 process.

To read the Board's announcement, please click here

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:45, 21 February 2019 (UTC)

Help us make Wikipedia talk pages more accessible to more participantsEdit

Hello!

Our team at the Wikimedia Foundation is working on a project to improve the ease-of-use and productivity of wiki talk pages. As an affiliate, I can imagine you’ve run into challenges explaining talk pages to first-time participants, or it is an consultation that would interest your members.

We want all contributors to be able to talk to each other on the wikis – to ask questions, to resolve differences, to organize projects and to make decisions. Communication is essential for the depth and quality of our content, and the health of our communities.

We're currently leading a global consultation on how to improve talk pages, and we're looking for groups that can discuss and report on their experiences using (or helping other people to use) wiki talk pages. We'd like to invite you to participate, with the user groups that you belong to. You can learn more about the consultation at Mediawiki.org and if you're interested in hosting a group discussion (on-wiki or off-wiki), you can sign up at the participant sign-up group.

If you’d like to participate or if you have any questions, please contact us and let us know. The more people participate from many horizons, the better the outcome will be.

Thank you! Trizek (WMF) 15:29, 8 March 2019 (UTC)

Call for complementary facilitators and more to get the ASBS 2019 process started!Edit

Hi everyone, hope all is fine with you!

The next weeks will be intense, as affiliates figure out their participation in the process that will soon select 2 people for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Since new Bylaws established that the user groups are for the first time going to be involved in such process, a lot more support than before is certainly going to be necessary, among other things, for big and healthy conversations on the topic. Hence, please encourage members of your group to become a complementary facilitator, or sign up yourself! You can add yourself to the list on Meta or reply to me to flag availability. One person from the facilitators group should soon be selected to liaise with the Foundation Board’s Chair, María Sefidari, on behalf of all affiliates, and it may be wise to also find a deputy for them.

Finally, if you can think of any huge obstacles that would prevent your group from participating to the process (for instance, a language barrier, or lack of good decision-making mechanisms, etc.), please reach out to me directly: it is really important that we hear about them as early as possible. Thank you! Elitre (WMF) 15:23, 12 March 2019 (UTC)

Update on the Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 processEdit

Hi all,

The Election Facilitators met on Friday, April 5. We finalized the resolution, which is now frozen. The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation will be asked to approve the resolution.

We have made two small changes to be more inclusive. We extended the date for compliance with AffCom reporting and being in good standing to May 7 to allow time for as many Affiliates as possible to be current with these requirements. The Election Facilitators adjusted the language in case a quorum is not met during the election.

On the talk page of the resolution one issue was raised. The issue looks like to be about a possible candidate. Affiliates will have ample time to discuss the merits of candidates during nomination time, screening time, and they can cast their votes on candidates. The Election Facilitators didn't see the necessity for this change, and left the resolution on this point unchanged.

The Election Facilitators will be Abhinav Srivastava, Lane Rasberry, Jeffrey Keefer, Ad Huikeshoven, Neal McBurnett and Alessandro Marchetti. We will welcome more volunteers to assist us in this process, to reach out to the diversity in language and gender in our communities, and do so in an advisory role.

The nomination period opens on April 15. We are going to prepare nomination pages on Meta. You can expect a call for nominations. There is a draft call, including a candidates' profile section with non-binding guidelines about experience and characteristics for nominees. You are welcome to add your insights, or discuss on the talk page.

Erica Litrenta (WMF staff) supports us in this process. She will reach out to all affiliates through mail and other channels to make sure we are up to date with (user)name and contact details of your primary contact.

On behalf of the Election Facilitators, Ad Huikeshoven 10:52, 6 April 2019 (UTC)

Update about the Affiliate-selected Board seats process 2019Edit

Hello everyone!

  • The Resolution has been approved by the Board of Trustees;
  • Nominations phase is now open, from April 15 00:00 UTC to April 30 23:59 UTC. See the Call for Candidates and Nominations pages;
    • Community members may ask questions of the candidates;
  • Your main representative has just received an email to confirm that they are indeed the primary contact and will perform official actions on behalf of your group (such as endorsing candidates and then voting). Some groups also need to verify their eligibility status in due time, as explained in the email;
  • New content is available to spread awareness around the process - the infographic on this page has clickable links and can be translated, and a primer is available, that we hope will be particularly helpful to those new to such a process;
  • Finally, you are welcome to help with translations! Pick one page from the ASBS category and, in the next couple of weeks, please consider translating profiles of the candidates in particular.

Thanks for your attention! The Facilitators for ASBS 2019, 07:33, 15 April 2019 (UTC)

Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process: your representativeEdit

Hello. The name of the only person who will vote on behalf of this group to select the next two Board members is now at m:Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Eligible entities. Please contact me directly as soon as possible if you need any kind of corrections there. There's only a few hours left to endorse candidates, and only the official voter can do that. I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you can make a difference with the necessary translations.

Appreciate your attention and your support so far! Thank you! Elitre (WMF) and Facilitators of ASBS 2019, 12:15, 29 April 2019 (UTC)

Submit your proposals for Community Growth at Wikimania before June 1!Edit

Hello,

Sorry to use English. Please help translate to your language

Wikimania 2019 is organized into 19 “spaces”, which are all accepting proposals for sessions. This email comes from the team organizing the Community Growth space.

We would like to invite you to submit a proposal to the Community Growth space because of the actions you’ve done around newcomers on wikis. The deadline for submission is June 1. See below for Community Growth submission topics and session formats. Topics and sessions have to be in English.

In the Community Growth space, we will come together for discussions, presentations, and workshops that address these questions:

  • What is and is not working around attracting and retaining newcomers?
  • How should Wikimedia activities evolve to help communities grow and flourish?
  • How should our technology and culture evolve to help new populations to come online, participate and become community members?

Recommended topics. While proposals related to all aspects of community growth and newcomer experience are welcome, the organizing team is particularly interested in proposals related to:

  • Research on recruitment, activation and retention.
  • Technological approaches
  • On- and off-wiki engagement strategies
  • Supporting diversity and cross-cultural newcomer experiences
  • Lessons learned from beyond Wikimedia, and
  • The future of newcomers and editing

If you are interested in seeing presentations around additional topics, but do not plan to submit a proposal, you can suggest additional topics here.

If your topic does not fit into our space, remember that there are 18 other spaces that could welcome you sharing your knowledge and perspective.

Types of session. We prefer sessions that are participatory, interactive, promote conversations, and give a voice to parts of our movement that are heard less often. We welcome the following session formats:

  • Roundtable discussion
  • Panel discussion
  • Lightning talk
  • Working session
  • Teaching session
  • Conference presentation

Poster submissions. Posters are also a good way to introduce a topic, or show some results of an action. Please consider submitting one!

More information about the Community Growth space, topics, and submission formats is available on the proposal page.

Please submit your proposal. The reviews will happen at the beginning of June.

If you have questions about Wikimania in general, please ask them on the Wikimania wiki.

Sincerely,
Trizek (WMF) (talk) 16:45, 14 May 2019 (UTC)
On behalf of the Community Growth leadership team

Introducing Wikimedia Space: A platform for movement news and organizationsEdit

Hi Wikipedia & Education User Group,
I’m writing to let you know that the Community Engagement department [1]at the Wikimedia Foundation is launching a new platform, Wikimedia Space. Here, you will find stories for and by contributors to the Wikimedia movement, and a space for discussions of different topics.

We know that finding information about Wikimedia activities and processes is very complicated, which makes the learning curve to enter our movement and be successful afterwards, really steep. By centralizing community stories and conversations in one shared space, we believe we are facilitating access and discoverability of topics across the movement, improving, in turn, connections among Wikimedians.

As an affiliated organization to the Wikimedia Foundation, we hope that you can share this platform with your local community, and we count on you to encourage them to add their voices. If you’d like to contribute stories, and overall, participate in the discussion section, please read our blogging guidelines and our code of conduct and join the conversation. Find more information about the project on its page on Meta.

Looking forward to seeing you at Wikimedia Space,
María Cruz, Communications and Outreach Manager, Wikimedia Foundation.
MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:53, 25 June 2019 (UTC)

References

Juror for WSC2019Edit

Hi, I am refining the list of international juror for Wiki Science Competition. Thre will be soon more names from Ireland or Poland or Switzerland or Estonia... you see only four at the moment but only because collecting all the information such as the picture , takes time with people who are quite busy. There are few places left for a jury of circa 10 member. Does anyone want to join and represent the education sector? Let me know. For the international jury a certain relevance in the field (e.g. professor) would be apreciated. Of course it all depends also on some additional factor such as gender ratio and balance of fields but in the worst case I will keep the name in mind for the following edition. Thank you!--Alexmar983 (talk) 22:35, 5 October 2019 (UTC)

Introducing Wikimedia Diary: A memory book (notebook) for allEdit

  Wikimedia Diary
Hello Wikipedia & Education User Group, I wanna share you about Wikimedia Diary, a public memory book (notebook) in which Wikimedians from all over the world are free to write any worth noting event/activities/experiences by them or community in this Wiki world. It is a more casual place to write about what one is up to.

As we all know, a diary is a book in which diarist keeps a daily record of events and experiences. Likewise, the basic idea of Wikimedia Diary is that we do many activities here in wiki world which we are proud of, but unfortunately it became only the history anytime. So, It is meant to record those activities on the happened date with a signature (~~~~) which is worth noting, and letting fellow Wikimedians know about what inspirational you've did. It would motivate users from all around the world to keep on cool activities and publish a note. I hope you share your activities with all of us on the page, and please let your friends know about Wikimedia Diary. Also, your feedback is welcome on the discussion page. Thank you!
Kind regards,
Tulsi Bhagat, Initiator of Wikimedia Diary, Wikimedia movement communications group.
MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:09, 15 November 2019 (UTC)

2019 Affiliations Committee call for candidatesEdit

The Affiliations Committee (AffCom) – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and update the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees as well as advise them on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee consists of fourteen members, selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. Those joining the committee during the current process will serve a two-year term ending in December 2021.

AffCom continues to closely monitor the Wikimedia 2030 Strategy process that was initiated in 2016. While the affiliation models continue to be discussed as part of the broader strategy discussion, as no decisions have been made to change the current affiliation models yet, AffCom will continue to work in the same manner with regard to affiliate recognitions and intervention support for affiliates with issues of non-compliance in 2020. Specifically, AffCom will continue to process applications for user group and chapter/thematic organization creation, while we await the strategy next steps and begin to prepare for a smooth transition of the committee and affiliates ecosystem to any changing movement structures and systems in 2021.

Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members.

Required and Recommended Skills for Affiliations Committee MembersEdit

Across all committee members there are additional relevant skills as well as requirements which help to support the committee and its sustainability which include both required and relevant general skills

Required SkillsEdit

  • Fluency in English
  • Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly one and two-hour voice/video meetings.
  • Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.
  • Strong track record of effective collaboration
  • International orientation

Relevant SkillsEdit

  • Skills in other languages are a major plus.
  • Public Communications (English writing and speaking skills)
  • Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the Wikimedia Foundation.
  • Documentation practices
  • Interviewing experience
  • Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organizing are a plus
  • Experience with, or in, an active affiliate is a major plus.
  • Teamwork
    • Focusing on shared goals instead of disagreements
    • Focusing on the conflict at hand and not past ones
    • Ensuring each member of the team has a clearly defined role, which can help reduce disagreements over areas of responsibility
    • Project and people management to coordinate different parties on a shared plan and seeing it through to completion.
  • Problem-Solving
    • Ability to evaluate various solutions
    • Ability to consider multiple interests and points of view
    • Willingness to revisit unresolved issues
    • The capacity to recognize and respond to important matters
    • The ability to seek compromise and avoid punishing
  • Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.

Given the expectations for maintaining course in 2020 and preparing for potential 2021 transitions, it is important that we are also clear about two different skill sets critical to committee support at this time. The first skillset is oriented to understanding affiliate dynamics and organizational development patterns to successfully process affiliate applications for recognition; the other is oriented to conflict prevention and intervention support for affiliates in conflict.

Affiliate Recognitions Relevant SkillsEdit

  • Administration
    • Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
    • Attention to detail
  • Monitoring & Strategic Development
    • Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliation, and similar topics.
  • Organizational Awareness
    • Understanding of and community building and organizational development
    • Understanding of group dynamics
    • Awareness of the affiliates ecosystem and models

Conflict Prevention & Intervention Relevant SkillsEdit

  • Communication
    • Active listening
    • Reading nonverbal cues
    • Knowing when to interrupt and when to stay quiet
    • Being culturally sensitive at the same time remaining clear and concise when explaining a concept or opinion
  • Stress Management
    • Patience
    • Positivity
    • Ability to inject a dose of humor to dilute anger and frustration when needed
    • Taking well-timed breaks that can bring calm in the midst of flared tempers
    • Ability to manage stress while remaining alert and calm
  • Emotional Intelligence
    • Being emotionally aware,
    • Ability to control emotions and behaviors,
    • Ability to practice empathy,
    • Impartiality,
    • Don’t take anything personally,
    • Being aware of and respectful of differences.
  • Facilitation skills
    • Meeting facilitation experience
    • Peer or community mediation training
    • Peer or community mediation experience

Do you have any of these skill sets and an interest to support movement affiliates?

We are looking for people who are excited by the challenge of empowering volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world. In exchange, committee members selected will gain the experience of supporting their world-wide colleagues to develop their communities as well as personal development in guiding organizational development, facilitating affiliate partnerships, and professional communications.

Selection processEdit

As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2019 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. We invite you to share with us you applications, specifying your focus area you’re interested in. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta, and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.

At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, Wikimedia Foundation staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2020, with new members expected to join later that month.

How to applyEdit

If you are interested in joining the committee, please post your application on the nomination page and send an email announcing your application to AffCom lists.wikimedia.org by 10 January 2020. Your application must include the following information:

  • Your full name and Wikimedia username
  • A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.
  • Answers to the following questions:
  1. How do you think affiliates work best together to partner on effective projects and initiatives?
  2. What do you see as the role of affiliates in the Wikimedia movement in the next three years?
  3. What do you feel you will bring to the committee that makes you uniquely qualified?
  4. Which subcommittee are you most interested in serving on: Recognitions OR Conflict Prevention & Intervention?

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!


On behalf of the committee,

Camelia Boban, AffCom member

Wikimedia Movement Strategy: 2020 Community ConversationsEdit

Dear Wikimedians,

Greetings! Wishing you a very happy new year!

We have an update for the next steps of the Movement Strategy! We're preparing for a final round of community conversations with Wikimedia affiliates and online communities around a synthesized set of draft recommendations to start around late/mid January. In the meantime, recommendations’ writers and strategy team has been working on integrating community ideas and feedback into these recommendations. Thank you, for all of your contributions!

What's New?Edit

The recommendations writers have been working to consolidate the 89 recommendations produced by the working groups. They met in Berlin a few weeks back for an in-person session to produce a synthesized recommendations document which will be shared for public comment around late/mid January. A number of common areas for change were reflected in the recommendations, and the writers assessed and clustered them around these areas. The goal was to outline the overall direction of the change and present one set that is clearly understood, implementable and demonstrates the reasoning behind each.

What's Next?Edit

We will be reaching out to you to help engage your affiliate in discussing this new synthesized version. Your input in helping us refine and advance key ideas will be invaluable, and we are looking forward to engaging with you for a period of thirty days from late/mid January. Our final consultation round is to give communities a chance to "review and discuss" the draft recommendations, highlighting areas of support and concern as well as indicating how your community would be affected.

Please share ideas on how you would like to meet and discuss the final draft recommendations when they are released near Mid January whether through your strategy salons, joining us at global and regional events, joining online conversations, or sending in notes from affiliate discussions. We couldn't do this without you, and hope that you will enjoy seeing your input reflected in the next draft and final recommendations. This will be an opportunity for the movement to review and respond to the recommendations before they are finalized.

If possible, we'd love if you could feature a discussion of the draft recommendations at the next in-person meeting of your affiliate, ideally between the last week of January and the first week of February. If not, please let us know how we can help support you with online conversations and discussing how the draft recommendations fit with the ideas shared at your strategy salon (when applicable).

The input communities have shared so far has been carefully documented, analyzed, and folded into the synthesized draft recommendations. Communities will be able to see footnotes referencing community ideas. What they share again in January/February will be given the same care, seriousness, and transparency.

This final round of community feedback will be presented to the Board of Trustees alongside the final recommendations that will be shared at the Wikimedia Summit.

Warmly -- User:RSharma (WMF) 15:58, 4 January 2020 (UTC)

Wikimedia 2030: Movement Strategy Community conversations are here!Edit

Dear Affiliate Representatives and community members,

The launch of our final round of community conversation is finally here! We are excited to have the opportunity to invite you to take part. 
The recommendations have been published! Please take time over the next five weeks to review and help us understand how your organization and community would be impacted.

What Does This Mean?

The core recommendations document has now been published on Meta in Arabic, English, French, German, Hindi, Portuguese, and Spanish. This is the result of more than a year of dedicated work by our working groups, and we are pleased to share the evolution of their work for your final consideration. 
In addition to the recommendations text, you can read through key documents such as Principles, Process, and the Writer’s Reflections, which lend important context to this work and highlight the ways that the recommendations are conceptually interlinked.
We also have a brief Narrative of Change [5] which offers a summary introduction to the recommendations material. 

How Is My Input Reflected In This Work?

Community input played an important role in the drafting of these recommendations. The core recommendations document reflects this and cites community input throughout in footnotes. I also encourage you to take a look at our community input summaries. These texts show a further analysis of how all of the ideas you shared last year through online conversations, affiliate meetings, and strategy salons connect to recommendations. Many of the community notes and reports not footnoted in the core recommendations document are referenced here as evidence of the incredible convergence of ideas that have brought us this far.  

What Happens Now?

Affiliates, online communities, and other stakeholders have the next five weeks to discuss and share feedback on these recommendations. In particular, we’re hoping to better understand how you think they would impact our movement - what benefits and opportunities do you foresee for your affiliate, and why? What challenges or barriers would they pose for you? Your input at this stage is vital, and we’d like to warmly invite you to participate in this final discussion period.

We encourage volunteer discussion co-ordinators for facilitating these discussions in your local language community on-wiki, on social media, informal or formal meet ups, on-hangouts, IRC or the village pump of your project. Please collect a report from these channels or conversations and connect with me directly so that I can be sure your input is collected and used. Alternatively, you can also post the feedback on the meta talk pages of the respective recommendations.

After this five week period, the Core Team will publish a summary report of input from across affiliates, online communities, and other stakeholders for public review before the recommendations are finalized. You can view our updated timeline here as well as an updated FAQ section that addresses topics like the goal of this current period, the various components of the draft recommendations, and what’s next in more detail. 
Thank you again for taking the time to join us in community conversations, and we look forward to receiving your input. (Please help us by translating this message into your local language). Happy reading! RSharma (WMF) MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:31, 20 January 2020 (UTC)

Invitation to participate in Wikipedia Pages Wanting PhotosEdit

Dear Wikimedia Affiliate Community,

We are inviting you to participate in Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos (WPWP), a new global contest scheduled to run from July through August 2020:

Participants will choose among Wikipedia pages without photo images, then add a suitable file from among the many thousands of photos in the Wikimedia Commons, especially those uploaded from thematic contests (Wiki Loves Africa, Wiki Loves Earth, Wiki Loves Folklore, etc.) over the years.

WPWP offers a focused task for guiding new editors through the steps of adding content to existing pages. It can be used to organize editing workshops and edit-a-thons.

The organizing team is looking for a contact person at the Chapter, Thematic group & Wikimedia User Group level (geographically or thematically), or for a language WP, to coordinate the project locally. We’d be glad for you to sign up directly at WPWP Participating Communities

Thank you,

Deborah Schwartz Jacobs

On behalf of Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos Organizing Team - 21:19, 9 May 2020 (UTC)

The 2030 movement strategy recommendations are here!Edit

Greetings! We are pleased to inform that the 2030 movement strategy recommendations have been published on Meta-wiki. Over the last two years, our movement has worked tirelessly to produce these ideas to change our shared future. Many of you participated in the online conversations, hosted strategy salons, attended regional events, and connected with us in-person at Wikimania. These contributions were invaluable, and will help make our movement stronger for years to come. 

The finished set of 10 recommendations emphasizes many of our core values, such as equity, innovation, safety, and coordination, while tasking us jointly to turn this vision into a reality. These recommendations clarify and refine the previous version, which was published in January this year. They are at a high strategic level so that the ideas are flexible enough to be adapted to different global and local settings and will allow us to navigate future challenges. Along with the recommendations, we have outlined 10 underlying principles, a narrative of change, and a glossary of key terms for better context.

The recommendations are available in numerous languages, including Arabic, German, Hindi, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish for you to read and share widely. We encourage you to read the recommendations in your own time and at your own pace, either online or in a PDF. There are a couple of other formats for you to take a deeper dive if you wish, such as a one-page summary, slides, and office hours, all collected on Meta. If you would like to comment, you are welcome to do so on the Meta talk pages. However, please note that these are the final version of the recommendations. No further edits will be made. This final version of the recommendations embodies an aspiration for how the Wikimedia movement should continue to change in order to advance that direction and meet the Wikimedia vision in a changing world. 

In terms of next steps, our focus now shifts toward implementation. In light of the cancellation of the Wikimedia Summit, the Wikimedia Foundation is determining the best steps for moving forward through a series of virtual events over the coming months. We will also be hosting live office hours in the next coming few days, where you can join us to celebrate the Strategy and ask questions! Please stay tuned, and thank you once again for helping to drive our movement forward, together. RSharma (WMF)

Call for candidates - June 2020Edit

Hi everyone,

The Affiliations Committee (AffCom) – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing and sustaining Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is seeking new members!

The main role of the AffCom is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and update the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees as well as advise them on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee consists of five to fifteen members, selected at least once every year, to serve two-year terms. As the committee must hold mid-year elections to replenish its members at this time, those joining the committee during the current process will serve a slightly extended term from July 2020 through December 2022.

AffCom continues to closely monitor the Wikimedia 2030 Strategy process initiated in 2016. While the affiliation models continue to be discussed as part of the broader strategy discussion, as no decisions have been made to change the current affiliation models yet, AffCom continues to work in the same manner with regard to affiliate recognitions and intervention support for affiliates with issues of non-compliance in 2020. AffCom continues to process applications for user group and chapter/thematic organization creation, while we await the strategy next steps and begin to prepare for a smooth transition of the committee and affiliates ecosystem to any changing movement structures and systems in 2021.

Being a part of the AffCom requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a mix of different skill sets in our members.

Click here for further details.

James Heilman on behalf of AffCom

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:18, 13 June 2020 (UTC)

Affiliations Committee elections announcement June 2020Edit

Hi everyone,

This is a friendly reminder that the Affiliations Committee (AffCom) – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing and sustaining Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is seeking new members! The deadline to post your application on the nomination page is 30 June 2020.

  • Application process: Considering the anticipated changes following the Strategy recommendations, we had a limited scope to introduce changes in the process. We have made a small but impactful addition to the application process by introducing the Self Assessment survey form which will help the committee know more about your engagement as endorsements are not consistently shared, may not be representative, and often do not speak to the specific skills needed.
  • Selection process: No change; see: Membership.

If you have any questions, please contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to answer questions about our work if this helps people decide to apply. Please distribute this announcement among your networks. Good luck to all the candidates!

On behalf of the committee,

--Rosiestep (talk) 00:49, 19 June 2020 (UTC) via MassMessaging

June 21 All-Affiliates Brand MeetingEdit

All Wikimedia affiliates are invited to join an urgent All-Affiliates Brand Meeting in two sessions on Sunday June 21, regarding the most recent developments.--Pharos (talk) 20:05, 19 June 2020 (UTC)

Feedback on movement namesEdit

There are a lot of conversations happening about the future of our movement names. We hope that you are part of these discussions and that your community is represented.

Since 16 June, the Foundation Brand Team has been running a survey in 7 languages about 3 naming options. There are also community members sharing concerns about renaming in a Community Open Letter.

You should have received a separate affiliate survey via email. If you have not, feel free to email brandproject wikimedia.org.

Our goal in this call for feedback is to hear from across the community, so we encourage you to participate in the survey, the open letter, or both. The survey will go through 7 July in all timezones. Input from the survey and discussions will be analyzed and published on Meta-Wiki.

Thanks for thinking about the future of the movement --The Brand Project team, 13:37, 2 July 2020 (UTC)

Note: The survey is conducted via a third-party service, which may subject it to additional terms. For more information on privacy and data-handling, see the survey privacy statement.

Announcing a new wiki project! Welcome, Abstract WikipediaEdit

Hello everyone. I am posting the announcement below, which you may have missed elsewhere, and in the hope that you can share it with your local communities. Please note that it may be available in your language at m:Special:MyLanguage/Abstract Wikipedia/July 2020 announcement. Thanks for your attention! m:User:Elitre (WMF)


Return to "Wikipedia & Education User Group" page.