Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | português do Brasil | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | संस्कृतम् | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча | vèneto | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Welcome to Meta!Edit

Hello RexxS, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). If you would like, feel free to ask me questions on my talk page. Happy editing! Ottava Rima (talk) 03:27, 25 March 2010 (UTC)

Thanks, Ottava, and it's good to see you still active on the projects. Regards, --RexxS 19:00, 30 March 2010 (UTC)

Ebola translation task force (draft)Edit

Hi! I started an Ebola translation task force (draft) to hopefully quickly get some Ebola related translations in local African languages. I'd love to see your input (and edits) Guaka (talk) 12:10, 27 October 2014 (UTC)

International Women's Day EditathonEdit

Just a reminder that the International Women's Day Editathon at the Oxfordshire County Library is tomorrow. Hope to see you there!

-Mvolz (talk) 15:59, 7 March 2018 (UTC)

Wiki Project Medicine Foundation MembershipEdit

 
Membership renewal

Dear Wiki Project Med Supporter, you are receiving this message as you have shown interest in supporting Wiki Project Med in the past. As our organization grows and evolves, we want to be able to verify peoples ongoing interest in being involved. To that end, the board has decided to require renew of membership every two years. So -- whether you are a current member or not, please fill out our updated membership form, to ensure your membership till the end of 2020. Please note -- We ask that you fill out the form by Feb 3rd, as we are close to elections and only members can nominate themselves for the board and vote!

Best, Shani & Doc James. 01:57, 28 January 2019 (UTC)

Elections for 5 seats on the board of WPMEDF & Annual MeetingEdit

Dear WikiProject Medicine member, the election for 5 seats on the board is underway and voting is now open till March 24th. We encourage you to use your right to vote by supporting the candidates you prefer HERE. Please also note that on Monday, March 25, between 1900-2000 UTC we will be holding our open annual meeting online. A link will be sent via the mailing list / Facebook group so stay tuned. We hope you can join us! Best, James & Shani. 14:16, 11 March 2019 (UTC)

COLOREdit

Hi, as you're (very indirectly) listed as one of the contacts for WMUK at Wikimedia chapters, could you tell whether WMUK has been discussing internally the community open letter and the possibility to sign it? (I saw the WMMED signature.) Thanks, Nemo 10:34, 30 June 2020 (UTC)

@Nemo bis: I brought it to their attention at a meeting last week, but I doubt that the Board will reach any conclusion in time to sign it, sorry. --RexxS (talk) 17:26, 30 June 2020 (UTC)
Hm, interesting, thanks. When is the next meeting of the board, if may ask? I suspect that signing at some time in July (or even August) is still better than nothing. Nemo 17:39, 30 June 2020 (UTC)
There's an online AGM on 18 July 2020, but there's no Board meeting planned for the day, and the next scheduled Board meeting is 25 September. --RexxS (talk) 17:55, 30 June 2020 (UTC)
So maybe it's easier to make the AGM vote on it? Nemo 18:58, 30 June 2020 (UTC)
Not really. The closing date for AGM resolutions was 8 June. The only other mechanism available would be to ask a question on the day - wmuk:2020 AGM is the schedule. There's a report on rebranding around 12:15 and there's a space for questions on reports at 14:35. As there's no way to have an online vote until we change the articles, a question could only raise the awareness of the membership and Board. Those who wish to attend the AGM need to book a free ticket on Eventbrite. --RexxS (talk) 19:19, 30 June 2020 (UTC)

Another quick WikidataIB requestEdit

Hi Rexxs. I've another (hopefully quick) Module:WikidataIB query: When d:Property P2699 has no wikidata parameter entry, it returns "[unknown value unknown value]". Example from the Wikimedian_in_residence page:

Wikimedians in Residence, generated from this Wikidata query
Wikimedian (Q3809586) Organisation (P108) Link (P2699) Location (P937) Start (P580) End (P582)
Evelyn Swan  American Folk Art Museum New York CityFebruary 2013June 2013
The table above is generated from this Wikidata query

Is there a quick fix to return either an empty string or something like "no URL"?

Thanks again, T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 09:34, 26 July 2020 (UTC)

@Evolution and evolvability: I've made a fix in the Module:WikidataIB/sandbox:
Wikimedians in Residence, generated from this Wikidata query
Wikimedian (Q3809586) Organisation (P108) Link (P2699) Location (P937) Start (P580) End (P582)
Evelyn Swan  American Folk Art Museum New York CityFebruary 2013June 2013
The table above is generated from this Wikidata query
See if that works for you. Cheers --RexxS (talk) 17:58, 26 July 2020 (UTC)
Excellent - that should work great, and from my limited understanding of the implementation shouldn't cause issues in other scenarios. Would you be happy to commit Module:WikidataIB/sandbox to Module:WikidataIB? Cheers! 07:50, 27 July 2020 (UTC)
@Evolution and evolvability: Unfortunately I can't. I'm unable to edit the module I wrote here. --RexxS (talk) 15:46, 27 July 2020 (UTC)
No prob. I've made the edit request for an admin to implement. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 01:18, 28 July 2020 (UTC)

Sunday August 23: Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Strategic flock of Wikimedians heading in a new direction.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a proposed forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

The idea is to follow up on the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting and other strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 12:58, 20 August 2020 (UTC)

Lua documentation on Meta and MediaWikiEdit

Hello, and greetings, hope you are well! We have a task open on Phabricator to review and improve Lua documentation on meta and MediaWiki. Recently, we also opened a call for projects for Outreachy, a mentoring program through which Wikimedia selects interns every six months to work on coding and non-coding projects. I am reaching out to you to see if you might be interested in co-mentoring this Lua documentation project in this program :) You can read the full announcement email about the call for mentors for Outreachy to learn more about the program. No worries if you are busy, in that case, if you can suggest who else to reach out to, that would be lovely SSethi (WMF) (talk) 06:33, 11 September 2020 (UTC)

@Srishti: Thanks for the invite, and I'd be delighted to help out in any way I can. I've dropped a note on the Phabricator task, so I'll get updates on how the task is going. Let me know if/when you need something from me. Cheers --RexxS (talk) 10:41, 11 September 2020 (UTC)

Sunday September 20 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Birds of a feather flock together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August SWAN meeting and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday September 20, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 02:10, 19 September 2020 (UTC)

Sunday October 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Friendship is a movement value.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the September and August SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday October 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 16:45, 22 October 2020 (UTC)

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 01:30, 27 November 2020 (UTC)

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 15:07, 4 January 2021 (UTC)

Let’s talk!Edit

So nice to find someone so like-minded. I’m not on wiki as much as other platforms (very outward focused) - email me to start a dialog? dr.mel.ganus @ gmail . Thank you for bringing your perspectives, time and energy to these important convos!! DrMel (talk) 19:12, 24 January 2021 (UTC)

@DrMel:} Hi Mel, my reply email bounced so maybe I got something wrong. You can always email me by clicking on the link "Email this user" in the left column of the Wikipedia page under the Tools section. Let's keep in touch. --RexxS (talk) 21:24, 24 January 2021 (UTC)

Thank YOU!Edit

Hello again my friend! We’re launching wikiKind today as part of Wikipedia’s 20th year, and to celebrate Valentine’s Day!

And I want to thank you, RexxS, for being a founding member of wikiBlind!

Made this Heart-shaped Finger Labyrinth especially for you and all our wikiBlind wikiKind! Can we send you a tactile version by snail mail so you you can enjoy it with your fingertips?

It’s a maze of twisty passages all around here. Sometimes, it’s hard to feel appreciated, and you deserve some love! This Heart-shaped Labyrinth is to say Thank YOU for all your hard work. I appreciate you being here - I really do - and so do these peeps!
You can also share some wikiKind wikiLove (on English Wikipedia) by adding {{subst:Heart Labyrinth}} to any talk page with your own message.

love always,
DrMel (talk) 04:57, 15 February 2021 (UTC)
Please share some wikilove!
What the world needs now, is love sweet wikilove
It’s the biggest thing that there’s just too little of.


and yes! We should definitely talk more!!

IP BlockEdit

Would you be able to unblock ONLY LOGGED IN editors from my IP address (which, as far as i know, is not an open proxy). I will give you my IP when you respond to this. Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 18:58, 11 February 2021 (UTC)

@Quizzicalmind159: I can investigate whether the IP is actually an open proxy, and I think I may be able to convert an enwiki block to exclude logged-in users, but as far as I can see, you're not blocked on enwiki. Please don't expose your IP address here, but my email is enabled if you want to email me, or we can chat about it on Sunday if you're at the Wiki meetup. That might be the better option as you'll have several admins who might have more experience with this. Cheers --RexxS (talk) 19:10, 11 February 2021 (UTC)

Emailed you the IP Doug Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 20:47, 11 February 2021 (UTC) You got the email? Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 13:40, 12 February 2021 (UTC)

Yes, thanks, and I've asked ST47 to review the block as a first step. --RexxS (talk) 15:04, 12 February 2021 (UTC)

What is ST47?w

ST47 is the admin who made the block originally. See en:User:ST47 and check the block log for your IP address. --RexxS (talk) 15:47, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
Can normal Ips be used as open proxies? Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 16:00, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
Any update on progress? Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 17:48, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
Yes, a compromised computer can be made to function as a proxy, sometimes via only one incoming port which is hard to detect. It's also possible for ISPs to be compromised, so it can be complicated. Be patient and give ST47 a chance to reply. We should also let the folks at en:wp:WikiProject on open proxies go through their checks to make sure one way or the other. --RexxS (talk) 18:38, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
Can't you block account creation and anonymous edits but let people (like me) with that IP who already have an account? Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 19:11, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
I've had a reply. The sub-net actually belongs to 24 Shells Inc. They host dedicated servers, so the range was blocked as a webhost block. I think you need to look at the what https://spur.us/context/xx.xx.xx.xx has to say about your IP (replace the xx.xx.xx.xx by your IP). Wikipedia won't allow anyone to edit from a VPN unless they have a compelling reason to request ip-block-exempt, sorry. --RexxS (talk) 19:37, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
Could you reply to my email please so i can ask a question that shouldn't be read by the public (it divulges private IP info)?. Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 20:09, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
Can you make me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IP_block_exemption? Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 17:41, 13 February 2021 (UTC)
I can't, sorry. That would have to be requested via email to checkuser-en-wp@wikipedia.org as described at en:WP:IPECPROXY. --RexxS (talk) 18:46, 13 February 2021 (UTC)
Can you raise this at the meetup tomorrow? I may only be there for an hour or so as i have kitchen fitting to do!Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 20:09, 13 February 2021 (UTC)

emailEdit

I have emailed you Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 17:10, 14 February 2021 (UTC)

@Rexxs: i am not harassing you or anything of such but you may i ask why you haven't had a responded to my email? Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 20:37, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
I won't be replying off-wiki. I don't have the permissions to deal with private issues, and I've told you several times that you need a checkuser to do that. Please don't email me again asking for a response. --RexxS (talk) 20:54, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
Thanks. That is all i needed, did you receive a response from CheckUsers? i think i am being trolled. Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 21:30, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
Please see my post in the thread above dated 19:37, 12 February 2021 (UTC), beginning "I've had a reply ...". I've had no response other than the one from ST47. --RexxS (talk) 21:37, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
Do you know a check user called Andy M? They have replied from jonathang1998@hotmail.com, seems dodgy do me? Effectively they signed as Andy but had Jonathan in email address. Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 21:58, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
I don't, sorry. --RexxS (talk) 23:03, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
They have sent me an email (from that address) saying that you should not email that bulk email. I have reported it to another 'crat and CU as i think they may be 'abusing their CheckUser rights'. I have an idea which user i think it is but i can't be sure enough to name them (yet!) Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 10:43, 17 February 2021 (UTC)

Busted!Edit

I suspected the person replying was User:I have emailed you his name (as i don't want to post it public) you can reply here that is fine. I emailed that user and got a reply from the same address as what had being contacting me. I suspect i am being messed about. Quizzicalmind159 (talk) 11:43, 17 February 2021 (UTC)

Sunday February 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
We are a mosiac.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, and January SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday February 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To help set priorities for the SWAN agenda, and also to help manage which global conversations should be a focus in general, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this SWAN priorities form.

Possible topics include Community Board seats, Interim Global Council, Strategy prioritization follow-up events, Branding, Universal Code of Conduct, Grant strategy, and WMF CEO search. That is a lot of things, which are most important to cover in our upcoming SWAN meeting?

Following the regular call, in SWAN after hours: Wikimedia Meet Jitsi social event with brainstorming for possible Nano Charter ideas, plus any other topics.

--Pharos (talk) 18:00, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

Sunday March 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Community as a hand-carved gem.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, and February SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Grants relaunch, Universal Code of Conduct/Discussions, Wikimedia Enterprise / OKAPI, Community Board seats, Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday March 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although some places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 19:45, 17 March 2021 (UTC)