ABOUT A PROPOSALEdit
Developer wishlist survey voteEdit
Thanks for the notification on zh-yue.wiki's VPT. I've read through all the proposal titles but it seems that not that many of them are at all relevant to editors, however technically competent, who aren't already developers... I guess it's our bad for missing the proposal stage. Deryck C. 11:42, 7 February 2017 (UTC)
When you delete a page, please pay attention to make sure you're deleting what you actually want to delete. :-) If you want we can get the sysop bits removed from your account: it's unnecessarily frustrating to have such buttons when one has so few chances to practice their usage. --Nemo 21:22, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
Hello, in MediaWiki we generally use sentence case, it's part of the free links practice. I think  was made unintentionally, before seeing related changes, so I've restored the traditional title. --Nemo 21:25, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
- Thank you for your help and for sharing useful tips! I will keep that in mind for the next time :) -- SSethi (WMF) 19:35, 5th July 2017 (UTC)
Hello, I've applied several wikitext fixes (apart from typos):
- avoid adding unit markers manually;
- http://www.wikimedia.org/ is not a suitable link target for a translatable page, because it's not translatable, so you need to choose something like Wikimedia movement or Wikimedia projects here on Meta-Wiki;
- it's not allowed to use the |link= syntax with images which are not in the public domain, unless you take care of license compliance (usually attribution to the authors and mention of the license) yourself, e.g. on the page itself;
- finally, and unimportantly, "metawiki:" is not really a prefix we use (if the VisualEditor added it, please report that as a bug).
--Nemo 21:36, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
Great to meet you!Edit
Following up the IP banEdit
We had the chance to meet around a table at Wikimania with Satdeep. In the last survey to developers, I reported the IP ban issue. I am happy it was mentioned in the report as this really is a constraint, at least for me. Though this might be an isolated case, it restrains me from pursuing my commitment with my peer African Wikimedian Developers. Is something planned to be done about this issue?
- Hello Samuel, Thank you your message and thank you for reporting about the issue in the survey. I will look into the issue, discuss with my team and will get back to you ASAP. SSethi (WMF) (talk) 07:51, 9 November 2017 (UTC)
- @African Hope:,@SSethi (WMF): Hi everyone! So, let's see... Earlier this year, we had a lot of spam and uploads of material that should not be in Phabricator. We discussed the situation and what to do in phab:T168142. In the end the result is that we currently block certain IP ranges of some specific Wikipedia Zero providers, so these people cannot access Phabricator. But obviously there is some unexpected behavior (like phab:T173537 where Derrick reported that he cannot view images but that he is not on Wikipedia Zero), or phab:T174342 which implies that we miss some IP ranges for Wikipedia Zero providers that we thought we would block. Also note that one IP range in our block got very recently narrowed in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/389888 so we block less users. If you experience problems and you are not using Wikipedia Zero in Morocco or Algeria (I think you are not), I'd love to have a good description what happens, which browser you use, which internet provider, whether that is (also) a mobile provider or not, from which country, and which IP address you have. As that is all rather sensitive personal data that you might not want to publish here in public, feel free to drop me an email to aklapper wikimedia.org. Thanks. And sorry for the hassle. :-/ --AKlapper (WMF) (talk) 18:03, 9 November 2017 (UTC)
Join us tomorrow for the last event in the series Women in the Wikimedia movement: Women in technical spaces!Edit
Hi! Thank you for signing up to attend one or multiple virtual events in the conversations series Women in the Wikimedia movement . Your participation has made the events and conversation really interesting and good so far.
In about 12 hours, we will be hosting the last event of the series, Women in technical spaces. The virtual event will take place on BlueJeans, and will be broadcasted on YouTube. Our presenters will be Josephine Lim, who will be presenting about her work contributing to the Wikimedia Commons Android app, and Ciell and Ecritures, who will be sharing their experience creating an all-women and non-binary people hackathon in the Netherlands. After their presentations, there will be some time for conversations. I want to encourage everyone to participate! To this end, please join us on the BlueJeans link if you are able.
I look forward to seeing you tomorrow! María Cruz
- If you would like to unsubscribe from further updates about this series, please go to the sign up page, and delete your name
[Mini-MWT at VVIT] Thank You!Edit
Hi Sristhi, thanks a lot for joining us during the Mini-MediaWiki training workshop at VVIT. Your session was quite informative, and helped the students to understand different areas of Wikimedia technical spaces. The report is available at outreach:Education/News/March 2019/Mini-MWT at VVIT (Feb 2019), it might be of your interest. Thanks again, KCVelaga (talk) 13:29, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
[WikiConference India 2020] Invitation to participate in the Community Engagement SurveyEdit
This is an invitation to participate in the Community Engagement Survey, which is one of the key requirements for drafting the Conference & Event Grant application for WikiConference India 2020 to the Wikimedia Foundation. The survey will have questions regarding a few demographic details, your experience with Wikimedia, challenges and needs, and your expectations for WCI 2020. The responses will help us to form an initial idea of what is expected out of WCI 2020, and draft the grant application accordingly. Please note that this will not directly influence the specificities of the program, there will be a detailed survey to assess the program needs post-funding decision.
- Please fill the survey at; https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd7_hpoIKHxGW31RepX_y4QxVqoodsCFOKatMTzxsJ2Vbkd-Q/viewform
- The survey will be open until 23:59 hrs of 22 December 2019.
[WikiConference India 2020] Conference & Event Grant proposalEdit
WikiConference India 2020 team is happy to inform you that the Conference & Event Grant proposal for WikiConference India 2020 has been submitted to the Wikimedia Foundation. This is to notify community members that for the last two weeks we have opened the proposal for community review, according to the timeline, post notifying on Indian Wikimedia community mailing list. After receiving feedback from several community members, certain aspects of the proposal and the budget have been changed. However, community members can still continue engage on the talk page, for any suggestions/questions/comments. After going through the proposal + FAQs, if you feel contented, please endorse the proposal at WikiConference_India_2020#Endorsements, along with a rationale for endorsing this project. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:21, 19 February 2020 (UTC)
Thank you for helping to create the Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy RecommendationsEdit
|Thank you very much for everything you did to help create the Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy Recommendations! I am especially grateful for the enormous amount of work you did in the Product & Technology working group and all the care and commitment you brought to the process. --Nicole Ebber (WMDE) (talk) 09:49, 25 June 2020 (UTC)|
[Small wiki toolkits] Workshop on "Debugging/fixing template errors" - 27 March 2021 (Saturday)Edit
Greetings, this is to inform you that as part of the Small wiki toolkits (South Asia) initiative, a workshop on "Debugging/fixing template errors" will be conducted on upcoming Saturday (27 March). We will learn how to address the common template errors on wikis (related but not limited to importing templates, translating them, Lua, etc.)
Details of the workshop are as follows:
- Date: 27 March
- Timings: 15:30 to 17:00 (IST), 15:45 to 17:15 (NPT), 16:00 to 17:30 (BST)
- Languages supported: English and Hindi
- Meeting link: https://meet.google.com/cyo-mnrd-ryj
If you are interested, please sign-up on the registration page.
Regards, Small wiki toolkits - South Asia organizers, 13:03, 23 March 2021 (UTC)
If you would like unsubscribe from updates related "Small wiki toolkits - South Asia", kindly remove yourself from this page.