User talk:Deryck Chan
New Tech Ambassadors Phabricator board Edit
You have listed yourself as an active Tech Ambassador, thank you for that!
We have recently set up a board on Phabricator so that you can learn about tasks and updates that are potentially interesting for your community, and take action when necessary. During the pilot phase we are currently in, to avoid confusion, only Wikimedia Foundation's Community Liaisons will mark tasks so that they end up in the various columns. Thanks for your understanding!
Please follow this Phabricator board (learn how to). You'll receive "notifications" for updates in all tasks listed there. In case you choose to receive them as email; we currently expect the volume to be fairly low, but in any case you can learn how to manage it.
If you have any feedback about this board, please leave your questions and comments on the Ambassadors talk page.
Hello, a while ago you participated in a feedback round about a proposal how accidental clicks on the rollback link could be avoided. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas!
Looking at the feedback and the rollback situation in different wikis, the development team decided how to approach this wish: As a default, most wikis won’t have a confirmation. But users who wish to have one, can enable it in their preferences, which will add a confirmation prompt to the rollback link on the diff page and on the list pages. The prompt won’t be a pop-up, but an inline prompt like for the thanks confirmation. You can read more about the planned solution and what influenced this decision on the project page. -- Best, Johanna Strodt (WMDE) (talk) 09:42, 16 July 2018 (UTC)
The Community Wishlist Survey Edit
You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.
You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
Wikimania 2019 Edit
How are you? As you've presented in previous Wikimanias, would you happen to know if scholarship applications have opened? I remember they used to be around this time of year previously.
CivilServant Research Summit: Partial scholarship waitlist Edit
Thank you again for your interest in attending CivilServant's Research Summit in Stockholm on August 19th and for your application for a partial scholarship.
We were overwhelmed with the caliber of applicants, each of whom have demonstrated tremendous commitment to their Wikipedia projects and many of whom have over a decade of experience and leadership in their communities.
We are delighted to give you a spot to join us at the Summit. However, due to the large response and because we had to prioritize applications received by June 10th, we are not able to offer you a partial scholarship at this time. We hope it is okay, however, to add your name to a waitlist in case an additional scholarship becomes available (if declined by another participant). We will follow up in a week's time to let you know if that is the case.
In the meantime please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
- Hi Deryck. I got your note and - yes - we do have space left in the Summit so we would love your wife to join us. Can you ask her to DM me her email address so I can include her on communications (coordinating details, etc.)? (And, for that matter, would it be possible to DM me your email address as well?) Thanks! --Juliakamin(cs) (talk) 14:46, 10 July 2019 (UTC)
Hello, Deryck Chan. Nice to meet you. I want to ask you a question. I am reviewing lock of user 香港獨立萬歲. Regarding this user, I would like to ask you what the community on zh-yuewiki thinks of this user and how he edited on zh-yuewiki. It would be very helpful for me to answer, and I would also appreciate it. Thank you. --Sotiale (talk) 04:23, 23 July 2020 (UTC)
- User:Sotiale: Thanks for asking. I think the latest consensus at the Cantonese Wikipedia regarding this user is that we understand why the Chinese Wikipedia and Commons have opted to ban this user, but as far as the Cantonese Wikipedia is concerned we will welcome this user back anytime (see yue:Wikipedia:管理員留言板/2020年#希望各位管理員幫吓我). Indeed I understood from Ruslik0 that the user is not forbidden to have a clean start at Cantonese Wikipedia under a different username as long as said person does not participate in the Chinese Wikipedia or Commons. However, as far as I'm aware, this person has not taken up the offer. I would welcome a review of his global lock. Deryck C. 23:30, 23 July 2020 (UTC)
18:25, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
16:09, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
Wiki of Functions followup Edit
Hi there, I'm a researcher for the Wikilambda project. Last month we held a naming contest and I'm following up with those who voted to see if you might be willing to provide some feedback to help guide the project.
This would be a 45 minute conversation about your past experience with other Wikimedia projects and thoughts about the future of this new initiative. I'm hoping to gather a wide range of perspectives so I'd be interested in your opinion regardless of whether you plan to have further involvement.
As a way of saying thanks, the research team is offering a $35 gift card (in your local currency) for participation. We could chat by phone or through a website for audio conferencing.
If you're interested just pick a time slot from this calendar link:
Hope to hear from you soon!
Extensive range blocks Edit
Hello, Deryck. It has become a grave matter of concern that extensive range blocks are now imposed upon the largest ISPs (both landlines and mobile networks) in Hong Kong. As you may know many Hong Kong Wikipedians do not contribute to the Wikipedia encyclopedia project over fixed accounts now since by doing so their edit history may easily be tracked down (to the extent that some editors already shy away from putting Hong Kong in the country field in infobox, even though this word is never entirely synonymous with independent sovereign nations). The recently imposed extensive range blocks across so many different, and largest, networks have meant many dedicated Hong Kong editors are now excluded from contributing to the project. Is there any way that a. these range blocks may be lifted, b. the admins can be convinced this isn't meatpuppetry but out of genuine concern, and c. fellow Wikipedians may operate from multiple, time-limited accounts if editing from semi-static IPs is no longer considered an option because of the extensiveness of range blocks? 18.104.22.168 12:25, 22 January 2021 (UTC)
- I can see there's a rangeblock on your IP range on the English Wikipedia and presume you've come to my talk-page on Meta because you have been following relevant discussions there. As I wrote before at en:Talk:List of lighthouses in China, it is in the interests of an editor's anonymity to create an account so their IPs and therefore offline identities won't be exposed to external authorities. For as long as editors like you don't create an account, there will never be accurate data on how many of you there are who are potentially affected and we can't get a grip on the problem. Deryck C. 13:21, 23 January 2021 (UTC)
- The problem is that people don't want to be tracked down. If they edit from permanent accounts they expose themselves with their edit histories. Would point c. above be a possible way forward? 22.214.171.124 10:19, 25 January 2021 (UTC)
- As I wrote before, creating an account helps you dissociate your real-life identity from your on-wiki identity if you so wish (see e.g. w:Wikipedia:Why create an account?#Username and privacy). Participation in on-wiki negotiations requires trust between editors, which is built through the track records of one's edit history. It is (English) Wikipedia policy that each account may only be used by one person, and each person may only have one account except in specified circumstances (w:Wikipedia:Multiple accounts). If you do not want to accept such accountability amongst fellow editors, then I'm afraid you will not be afforded the privilege of having your voice counted in editorial disputes. Deryck C. 13:02, 25 January 2021 (UTC)
- Would it be possible for editors from this country to conceal from the authorities their previous time-limited accounts, if they opt for new accounts from time to time to conceal their edit histories which are sensitive to the authorities? Have Wikimedia got any policies on how they deal with requests from law enforcement authorities? You certainly wouldn't want edit histories admitted as evidence in trials would you? Hctts 10:58, 27 January 2021 (UTC)
- Thank you. I'd consider concealability from the authorities a legitimate reason to sock as far as WP:Socklegit has provided for. The green light is clear enough - given that even editing within a certain social circle would be a legitimate reason to sock according to Socklegit. But then on the other hand Wikip/media would have to have a clear(er) policy on, say, for how long IP addresses and other information would be retained, and whether they'd share any information with some certain jurisdictions. Hctts 11:52, 29 January 2021 (UTC)
- This is happening once again. 126.96.36.199 08:34, 23 October 2022 (UTC)
哈佬，我知呢度係原維基 大部分都係用英文去溝通，我呢度就用粵文去溝通算。話說，我早年（2017年）寫《我是歌手》系列嘅文嗰陣遇到一啲非議，喺中粵英 維基都發生過。而我早年啱啱入嚟維基嗰陣未熟習啲規矩，所以係英維都做過啲冇禮嘅嘢，之後就被個度嘅管理員indef封咗，佢哋話就話我嘅英文能力欠奉（睇呢度），同埋話我一路繼續加埋啲冇參考嘅內容（而實則上嗰啲咁嘅歌單 作詞人 作曲家 編曲家 歌名 全部都係照搬節目內容），一向唔適宜喺嗰個位加，而佢哋外行人又唔明 就亂咁掛模，之後我拎走個模 再補番內容，就畀佢哋屈我一路加埋啲unsourced content（即係佢哋做法官僚）。之後我嗰陣就轉咗嚟寫粵語維基，同樣都係因為中維嗰陣觀感唔好，再加埋入過嚟粵維嘅Dabao嚟搞針對（同上面條link一樣）（雖然嗰個Dabao去到2021年呢家都繼續咁做 冇停過），佢都冇實質證據證明啲ip係我嚟（即係誣告），就亂咁憑HK IP威嚇話要global lock埋我（呢句係en wiki封我嗰個Alex Shih講嘅）（我估你應該睇到佢哋兩個明顯係玩緊夾殺 所以我依家先主力寫粵語維基）。
特克斯特：我解封咗。睇返你俾人封嘅過程，直接 indef 相對稀有，而其他編輯又話係 indef block 唔係 permanent ban，英維慣例係一至兩年後可以申請解封。既然事隔四年，Alex Shih 2019 年又已經退隱，所以我認為可以俾個機會你，而 Alex 點諗我就唔評論喇。我喺你英維傾偈版留咗言，希望你小心行事。Alex 當年直接 indef 你或者過份重手，之後另一個編輯話你唔登入修改，究竟係咪真係你就只有你自己先知，但係都係四年前嘅事喇。緊要嘅係，英文維基百科對參加者嘅英文能力要求好高，對文章內容同引用來源嘅準則亦好高，如果有其他編者唔滿意你嘅貢獻，希望你從善如流。Deryck C. 22:42, 11 June 2021 (UTC)
謹上 你忠實嘅 Longway22 27 September 2021 (UTC)（喺本站嘅初始記錄時間）
補充：上述記錄或可能都仲會有涵蓋唔完整嘅地方，就似唔係話本編同User:維基百科最忠誠的反對者閣下外、相信都有唔少好似WMF提及嘅唔知名維基人，都有多角度睇到舊底同依家同未來都發生著嘅情況，呢度再追加推薦返另一位部分議題度本編都試過副知嘅User:Wpcpey閣下，本編信賴亦係一個涉獵唔同方面而相當有見地嘅獨立維基人。當然聯繫返呢位嘅時候，都最好再徵求返呢位嘅獨立意見。如有其他不足但願閣下同各維基人都多多包涵，願意繼續共議各種發展咁嘅課題同路線。——Longway22 (talk) 04:31, 28 September 2021 (UTC)
- @Deryck Chan and Shinjiman:，鑑於有關可能正有進一步直接訴諸人身可能具威脅同騷擾等嘅意圖活動，唯有臨時請求緊急指示，同係咪可副知其他可信賴同公允檢視嘅人士或部門等？感覺到正受到合乎維基騷擾威脅指引所指出嘅威脅活動而影響本編繼續參與嘅安全感同意欲，如容許請容許本編唔再參與任何可受對方跟踪同針對嘅維基活動、同請確保有關機制發展可繼續改進以保障其他維基人唔會面對返同樣嘅可能威脅。——Longway22 (talk) 13:00, 28 September 2021 (UTC)另請容許本編副知@WikiCantona: 因為經可能呢次記錄，會明確會有長期針對多個人身嘅跟貼活動，而會影響多個維基人專注嘅唔同專業方面同影響維基百科嘅構築進路，同時亦希望唔論本編或wikicantona或其他可能會被針對嘅獨立維基人成員，可繼續堅持維基人嘅價值觀、盡力保持公允同克制並避免到陷入如維基呢次行動所明確必須轉變嘅方向——可以感覺到呢次記錄變化夾前邊脈絡嘅變化、係會有之前似ROY17紛擾部分嘅觀感度，呢部分暫時希望先同上述意見書分開記錄在案，呢一部分授權由行政員決定係咪同上述擺埋一齊嘅部分。同時本編會獨立保留返根據變化再修正本次意見書或增加其他文本嘅選擇。——Longway22
Wikimedia Sound Logo project Edit
|Wikimedia Sound Logo project|
Hello, the Wikimedia sound logo project is in an early development phase -- this stage is for asking all kinds of questions, developing and fielding ideas, finding themes and shaping the direction of the project. Here is a link to the meta page for the project: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Sound_Logo
Your input is welcome. Thank you.
Climate denial review Edit
Hello! As part of the cross-wiki climate denial review, a request was made on the Chinese Wikipedia to remove and update some content. For instance, the article now contains a comparison of Al Gore to Hitler. There has not been much of a response. I was wondering if you would be willing to have a look at the article? Femke (talk) 10:43, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
- @Femkemilene: I've edited the "causes" section and replied to the discussions on Meta and the article talk page. I should warn you that I have a bit of a reputation as a cross-wiki POV warrior on zh.wp: Standard Chinese is a language I can use fluently but zh.wp is not my main wiki of contribution, and most of my edits in the last few years have involved me parachuting into a hot topic on cross-wiki requests. So don't be too surprised if someone reverts me... Deryck C. 10:05, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
Hello! Thanks for being a member of Wikimedians for Sustainable Development. We recently did a poll and understood that our newsletter was quite unknown. This is therefore a one-time invitation for all our members to sign up for our monthly newsletter. Best regards, ♥Ainali talkcontributions 14:43, 28 December 2022 (UTC)