Climate change portal/climate denial review
In response to an analysis by BBC on climate denial, this projects aims to systematically remove climate denial from Wikipedia language versions with insufficient capacity. Find translations by inserting the link into Google translate.
Languages with problems detectedEdit
|Language||Climate denial?||Blatant denial removed? Other text edits?||Figures updated?||Local collaboration?[A]||Maintenance Templates?|
|Yes||Featured article since 2013||Conversation opened. Contacted WMSD editor too. Article is being updated from Dutch version (which saw a 2022 update)|
|Minor||Yes||Asked help native speaker who has translated in the past. Posted on talk, requesting a sentence and a paragraph to be changed. User:Mpj7 has started responding|
|Hindi (Translation) 210 Pageviews/day||Yes||Mostly - significant text in the “reasons” and “solar change” sections still give the impression that there are (or may be) other causes of GW||Yes||Put further edit requests on talk, and contacted native speaker 8 Dec from Wikimedians for sustainable development to evaluate,
asked Ulubatli Hasan 16 Dec, who started editing :)
|Templates added by local editor|
|Yes||Yes-Deleted "Critique of the thesis on global warming and its causes" Some paragraphs in the lead still have a denial perspective.||N/A||Koreanovsky hopes to translate the English article|
|Yes||Needed edits - Update lead to AR6 but Chinese translation not on IPCC site yet - Section 3.2 - Other Theories, mentioning solar activity as possible explanation to global warming
Conspiracy theories have been been deleted.
|Note in English left on talk page. zh:WP:VPD#Discussion_on_Meta-wiki On Dec.8 a maintenance template was placed below the “Other Theories” heading stating that “the accuracy of this chapter is controversial”.||2015 template indicates NPOV issues in the article.|
|Some（少し）||Edits needed - some paragraphs and sentences focus on possible non-human factors, most IPCC references are to early reports
（編集が必要 - 段落や文章によって人的でない要素に焦点を当てている、IPCC出典の版が古い。）
|Yes（数値の更新＝済み）||Suggested edits on talk, advertised on Geography Wikiproject||2018 template about general issues and reliable sourcing（テンプレートは2018版、一般の問題点、信頼できる出典）|
|Yes||Some||Yes||Left message on talk, asked reverter 13 Dec. Minor concessions.|
|Belarussian, classical (Translation)
|Yes||Some||Yes||Local editor sometimes reverts.|
|Minor||Some||Yes||Posted on talk, local editor did some. Chidgk1 removals led to reverts by at least 1 user. Lively discussion on local Agora||Not enough sources template since at least 2020|
|Some||Some||Turbojet is an active writer of the article - hoping they might review - see discussion in English on talk page. TJ has agreed to review suggested edits :).|
|Minor||Made a start||Asked on talk 14 Dec, advertised on WP Meteorology, and on WP geography 17 Dec, asked local admin Dec 23, and a second jan 7. Pinged two former contributors to article.
L Lycaon has promised an update before spring :).
|Fringe as minority||Some||Yes||Put a long review on the talk page. :he:שיחת משתמש:The Turtle Ninja has started helping|
|From outdatedness||Made a start||Posted on talk 31-12. Asked local admin, who's trying to find an editor in the local Discord 19-Jan.|
38 pageviews/day ->
|Minor||Made tiny start||Asked local admin: may have mistranslated AR4, or Google Translate mistranslated it for us. Downplays those old conclusions ("it is possible that this is due to an increase in the concentration of anthropogenic greenhouse gases in the atmosphere").|
If you think it's highly unlikely edits will be reverted and the subtle climate denial has been also removed, you can move a language here (in alphabetic order of English name please)
- Arabic (Translation), 1000 pageviews/day – minor denial removed by local community & figures updated + translated.
- Bashkir (Translation) Use Bing translator to better read article.
- Basque (Translation)
- Bosnian (Translation), 5 Pageviews/day - First edit got reverted, then Srđan did a (partial so far) translation of enwiki
- Bulgarian (Translation) - 100 Pageviews/day
- Cantonese (Translation) - 8 Pageviews/day, local editor cleaned up after us
- Catalan (Translation) - Local editor did large rewrite after talk page message 12 Dec
- Esperanto (Translation)
- Estonian (Translation), 30 page views/day
- Galician (Translation)
- Gujarati (Translation), 64 pageviews/day
- Hungarian (Translation) 130 Pageviews/day
- Indonesian (Translation), 201 pageviews/day
- Italian (Translation) - 650 pageviews/day, After review on talk, local community solved most issues, we did a few direct edits. One person reverted without giving explanations.
- Javanese (Translation) - 4 pageviews/day
- Kannada (Translation), 81 pageviews/day, removed outdated uncertainty, asked for update on talk
- Kazakh (Translation), 73 Pageviews/day - also removed ozone hole confusion and updated temparature rise
- Kyrgyz (Translation), 7 pageviews/day - GHG added as cause and other hypotheses removed
- Latvian (Translation) 51 pageviews/day - admin removed denial, but other admin did not fully agree.
- Malay (Translation) -132 pageviews/day, removed "criticism" section with denial, various misconceptions. Unfortunately, no local editor found for maintenance
- Malayalam (Translation) -85 pageviews/day, bias from outdatedness, new translation English lede
- Occitan (Translation), 2 pageviews/day, local removed denial/outdated research after discussion in french
- Old English - water vapour as driver gone
- Russian - 950 pv/day removed myt of very warm mid-holocene
- Russia Buriat (Translation)
- Serbian (Translation) 49 pv/day - fixed by local
- Serbo-Croatian (Translation), 38 Pageviews/day
- Sinhala (Translate), 8 pageviews/day
- Slovak (Translation), 67 Pageviews/day, January20 22, fully rewritten - translated from Czech and English
- Swahili (Translation), 6 pageviews/day – local community solved most issues, new graph now added.
- Tagalog (Translation) - 75 pageviews/day. Misinformation by outdatedness. Local editors started completely afresh.
- Tamil (Translation), 57 pageviews/day
- Tatar (Translation)
- Tajik (Translation) 2 pageviews/day
- Urdu (Translation) - 9 pageviews/day, recent quotes from deniers deleted, mostly by User:Ulubatli Hasan
- Western Punjabi (Translation), 0 pageviews/day
- Yiddish (Translation) - collaboration local admin
Languages checked to be okayEdit
- Albenian (really poor quality for 200 pv/day)
- Allemanic German
- Amharic - recent translation of simplewiki
- Azeri (2021 translation enwiki)
- Bengali (bit outdated, 184 pageviews/day)
- Classical Chinese
- Egyptian Arabic
- Fiji Hindi - tell Bing translate it is Hindi
- Guyane Creole (Translation)
- Haitian Creole
- Interlingua (last of the 'global languages')
- Jamaican Creole English
- Lithuanian (very minor)
- Linga Franca Nova
- Luganda - but low quality
- Marathi - not great quality for 415 pageviews/day (asked on talk page)
- Nepali (a bit activist)
- Norwegian Nynorsk
- Pashto - 2021 translation enwiki
- Portuguese (figure updated after request, semiprotected)
- Romansh (very minor) 1 pv/day
- Samogitian fine - same as first sentence Lithuanian
- Saterland Frisian
- Scottish Gaelic
- Simple English
- Sorani Kurdish (very small so checked with Bing translator)
- Sunda (not 100% sure, but <1 pageview a day)
- Swedish (translation)
- Telugu (mostly based on a 2020 revision of the English article, should be fine but probably outdated. Talk page discussion about the name decided to keep "global warming" as it is more well known among Telugu readers.)
- Vietnamese (2021 translation enwiki)
- Võro language checked OK by local
- Waloon - read like French and use lots of imagination
Hard to tell with machine translationEdit
- Lesghian - probably alright
- Yakut - Yakut language is Turkic - chidgk1 might figure it eventually
- Breton - no red flags
- Kabyle - no red flags
- Kabardian - seems okay
- Min nan Chinese
- Ilokano - likely denial, but 1 pageview per day
- Kapampangan - likely outdated type denial - left message on talk
Bing translator may be worth trying on these but you have to cut and paste a paragraph at a time so it is tedious.
At least two old figures may support climate myths and would need to be replaced.
1. The image supporting the myth of global medieval period.
Replace by [[File:Temperature_reconstruction_last_two_millennia.svg|thumb]] (translatable)
2. And figures that show global warming up to ~2010 (very mildly supporting myth of hiatus)
Replace by [[File:Global Temperature Anomaly.svg|thumb]]
3. And while you're at it, why not add an updated map (may support the myth that global warming isn't really global)
Replace by [[File:Change in Average Temperature.svg|thumb]]
Tips and recommendationsEdit
There is a choice on how to approach each language version. Should you (first) find somebody to help or remove it yourself? Some considerations:
- If you ask somebody else, they may continue watching the article
- If climate denial has been added recently (say 5-10 years), it may be wise to ask the local community, as there may still be people with these views
- Climate denial can be damaging, so waiting for local collaboration also has its downsides
- Messages on talk pages will likely go unanswered, so consider contacting a local admin or an SDG person.
- Find a local admin (sorted by recent activity)
- Wikimedians_for_Sustainable_Development#Participants lists 139 people interested in sustainability. Many different languages are represented.
- Lists of WikiProjects Meteorology WikiProjects Environment, WikiProjects Geography
- native speakers willing to translate
You can link to this page from other projects with [[:meta:Climate change portal/climate denial review]] or [[:meta:Climate change portal/climate denial review|a cross-wiki review on climate change]]
If you install User:Krinkle/Tools/Global_SUL, you'll become autoconfirmed after a few days on language versions that do not require a certain set of edits.