Open main menu

Global Development projects that might be relatedEdit

Ideas for specific projects and approachesEdit

Good day, I have brainstormed several possible approaches to engage indigenous languages within Wikimedia projects. You can see them on Projects/Aboriginal communities outreach's approaches section on the Wikimedia Canada website. Those ideas are not at all Canada-only oriented and could be pretty much used anywhere. I'd like to start a discussion here about those ideas and others, and what would be the best way to move forward with them. Amqui (talk) 17:51, 27 August 2012 (UTC)

Questions to discuss and answerEdit

The role, the mission and the goals of Wikimedia Indigenous Languages are pretty much straight forward. However, there is some question that we should discuss as soon as possible:

  • What type of organization should WIL become?
    • An official thematic organization affiliated with the Affiliations Committee pretty much like a Chapter, officially registered with a board and membership?
      • If WIL should become an official organization, where should it get registered? In the USA?
        • Should WIL's bylaws have provisions for incorporating sub-groups in other countries if there is advantages or needs (ex: a project in a country could receive a grant from its government, but need to be a recognized organization)?
      • What would be the roles and responsibilities of the board? Who the board would consist of?
      • Who can become a member and how?
      • Should we wait to have ran couple individual projects, through GAC funding perhaps, to acquire experience and recognition and define more precisely our scope before incorporating? Or should we incorporate sooner than later so WIL is able to engage in cooperation with outside organizations more officially?
    • A Committee-type body under WMF?
    • A Wikimedia User Group?
    • An informal organization supporting ad-hoc projects?
      • Should WIL get provisional bylaws and a provisional board even if it doesn't incorporate?
  • What are concerns and limitations WIL's projects could face in some countries?
    • How to overcome them?
  • What are the type of projects that will fall under WIL's umbrella?
    • What should be our first projects?
  • Should WIL has its own budget?
    • Should that budget be only for operating cost of WIL itself, or should WIL be a grant giver to its projects?
    • Should WIL be involved in fundraising initiatives, or is that outside its scope?
      • Should WIL (or its representative in that country) apply for grants outside WMF for specific projects when opportunity exists in a given country?
  • When should be the first meeting?
    • How should it be conducted (i.e. IRC, Skype, Google Hangouts, conference call)?
  • What's the participants' vision of WIL in 3 years?

Amqui (talk) 01:27, 28 August 2012 (UTC)

Possible partnersEdit

Isn't Indigenous language a term only used in the Americas?Edit

That's my impression. I doubt it sits well in Africa and Asia, and I'd certainly recommend avoiding it when discussing Welsh & other European minority languages, where it is very likely to cause offence. Johnbod (talk) 01:22, 30 August 2012 (UTC)

We had discussion about the name, and we thought "indigenous" may be too large, cause by definition all languages are indigenous somewhere (English is indigenous to England, French to France, etc.) But after a look around and reading the article on en.wp, it seems indigenous had acquire the "minority" aspect in the modern definition, so it suits perfectly our scope. I think you may be confusing "indigenous" and "aboriginal". The last one is the one used to talk about indigenous people of Americas and Oceania almost exclusively. I don't see why "indigenous" can be offensive since it means "to live where you come from/were born" basically. See for example List of indigenous peoples on en.wp which encompasses a lot of ethnic groups in Africa and Asia. And I don't think European languages like Welsh are really the focus of our scope, they have several other ways to get support. All that being said, I'm not a native English speaker and none of the others engaged in the initial discussion, so if you have other suggestions, don't hesitate to share them here, please. Amqui (talk) 01:29, 30 August 2012 (UTC)

Geopolitical importance of 'indigenous' in the AmericasEdit

As the editor of a newsletter, now in its 30th year, with the Society for the Study of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas (SSILA), I suggest you try to live with "indigenous" as a term that is not considered pejorative. Several of the world's most dedicated linguists (from all nations) have, in the last half century or so, used the term. Because linguists have studied the originality and theoretical origins of these languages, a few still survive, and some have been energized by revitalization programs. We might consider the urgency of the bigger picture as a starting point, if I may suggest this. KSRolph (talk) 06:01, 8 September 2012 (UTC)

Mailing listEdit

The mailing list has been created. If you're interested in languages projects or issues, or in WIL, I encourage you to join: languages@lists.wikimedia.org. Amqui (talk) 17:57, 1 September 2012 (UTC)

Edit

I think we should start exploring what could be a logo for WIL (if anybody has drafting talent). Amqui (talk) 19:01, 1 September 2012 (UTC)

I have no artistic talent. ~~EBE123~~ talkContribs 19:03, 1 September 2012 (UTC)

Some linksEdit

CategoriesEdit

Perhaps, categories section should be excludeed from translation process? --Kaganer (talk) 15:11, 3 September 2012 (UTC)

Indeed. Done --MF-W 16:01, 3 September 2012 (UTC)

First meeting?Edit

I'd like to have the first meeting sooner than later. Does the time below works for you? Please add your name for those who work for you or suggest another time. I propose that we use IRC for it (#wikimedia-incubatorconnect), if that suits everybody (please comment, if you'd prefer something else like Google Hangouts or Skype). Amqui (talk) 01:20, 4 September 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for initiating this. Usually prefer Skype but IRC seems to work for me (not to be taken for granted in my location). Not sure about times. Weekends are generally bad for me. I add the only time slot I'm still free for the given dates but don't expect anyone else to like it. Cheers! --Baba Tabita (talk) 10:33, 4 September 2012 (UTC)

Hmmm. 2am or 6am... I feel lonely... I think Pras, HalanTul and I will have to secede from these Western hemispherians. Osiris (talk) 11:50, 4 September 2012 (UTC)

I'm not in the Western hemisphere; Africa just happens to be in similar time zones as Europe. (Presumably, you're south of the equator as I am.) After this weekend, I could offer any one hour either 0600-0900 UTC on Monday, Sep 10, or 0600-1400 UTC on Tuesday, Sep 11. Hope these are less lonely times for you. Cheers! --Baba Tabita (talk) 12:23, 4 September 2012 (UTC)
Osiris, see my comment below, we may have to hold two meetings, the difference between timezones is too large.
Baba Tabita, I understand you for IRC, would you prefer we change it to Skype right away for this meeting? Amqui (talk) 16:08, 4 September 2012 (UTC)
I think IRC should work for me; it's just that I've never used it before but was able to join the channel a couple of times over the last couple of days. However, see below for my timing problems. --Baba Tabita (talk) 18:09, 8 September 2012 (UTC)

Proposed agendaEdit

Please add your own topics.

  • Vision of WIL and what should be its roles
  • What can you bring to WIL and what WIL can bring to you
  • Summary of on-going or planned projects in your region

Topics for a later meetingEdit

  • Policy modification proposal:
  1. For endangered languages, it is fine to start Incubator Wikipedias as picture dictionaries, with one word per page if that is what we have. (One past discussion on this topic.) Why? The linguistics community already creates online dictionaries, but linguists prefer other software to Wiktionary. Time is of the essence with endangered languages; we don't need to spend our time doing the same work over again. Wikipedia is widely recognized; Wiktionary isn't. Wikipedia offers interwiki links to Wikipedia articles; Wiktionary doesn't. Endangered language learners need the links to their first language only, not the links to all other languages the way they are displayed in Wiktionary. Wikipedia lets learners find the interwiki link to their language from whatever first language they happen to speak. Wikipedia also adds value because you can pick illustrations specific to the language community, its culture, and its geography. Wikipedia provides space for language speakers to add free text and sound that goes beyond dictionary definitions.
  2. Consider moving endangered language Wikipedias to mainspace without requiring full localization. Not all languages have fully developed vocabulary for computers. This will make interwiki reference links available to endangered language learners using Wikipedia.
  3. Conferences and endangered language events we could attend to promote Wikipedia.
  • We could request an English language index to Incubator, to make it easier to copy example articles into another language. Djembayz (talk) 13:34, 16 September 2012 (UTC)
  • ...

Pre-discussionEdit

It's look like we may have to hold two "first" meetings to accomodate everybody. What do you think? Amqui (talk) 16:04, 4 September 2012 (UTC)

I added a timing to try to make it work for all continents. It's Saturday, it would be morning in Europe, evening in Oceania and the previous night in America. Please add your name if that ones work, or feel free to suggest something else. Amqui (talk) 16:21, 4 September 2012 (UTC)
For me, this general time/weekday frame would work generally, but not already next Saturday. To ensure that as much people as possible are able to appear in one meeting, maybe we could plan for a later date, e.g. in one or two weeks? 3-5 days in advance might be a too short period of time. --MF-W 16:32, 4 September 2012 (UTC)
Indeed, let push the date to the right a week. Amqui (talk) 17:10, 4 September 2012 (UTC)
Sorry to tell you that my job will take me to a remote area September 13-21 where my internet access will be restricted to just a few unpredictable hours per day (which I will need to be working on other things). So, don't wait for me with your first meeting. Presumably, I'll be able to read up on your meeting and comment later. Cheers! --Baba Tabita (talk) 18:09, 8 September 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for letting us know, we will surely publish minutes of the meeting. Amqui (talk) 17:01, 10 September 2012 (UTC)

Proposed timingsEdit

Please add your name to the times that work for you, or feel feel to propose other times. And don't forget to come back to check the chosen timing.

Friday, 14 SeptemberEdit

0600-0700 UTC
2000-2100 UTC
  • ...
 

Saturday, 15 SeptemberEdit

0700-0800 UTC
1600-1700 UTC
2000-2100 UTC
 

Sunday, 16 SeptemberEdit

0700-0800 UTC
1600-1700 UTC
2000-2100 UTC

It looks like Sunday 2000-2100 UTC is the most favorable, we'll leave it another two days, final call will be made here on Wednesday so you have time to check it and comment if needs be. Amqui (talk) 20:06, 10 September 2012 (UTC)

That being said, nothing refrain us from having a pre-first-meeting on Saturday morning to include Osiris and any other Oceanians and East Asians, as well as others who wish to be there (at least to get your input and make sure you are included). What do you think? Amqui (talk) 20:08, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
So the meeting is at Sunday, September, 16 20:00 UTC, on `wikimedia-incubator of the freenode IRC server, see you there. If you can't attend and want to bring something forward, please say it here. Amqui (talk) 21:22, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
One note to everyone about connecting to the IRC, if you need help: incubator:Incubator:IRC provides some info. --MF-W 14:23, 16 September 2012 (UTC)

MinutesEdit

You can read the minutes from this meeting there: WIL's Meeting, September 16th, Minutes. Please feel free to continue the discussion here. Amqui (talk) 22:31, 16 September 2012 (UTC)

UserboxEdit

A little userbox for the project: {{User Wikimedia Indigenous Languages}} Amqui (talk) 18:21, 23 September 2012 (UTC)

 This user is involved in Wikimedia Indigenous Languages.

Second WIL meetingEdit

Pre-meeting discussionsEdit

What do you think of having a second WIL meeting before Christmas, maybe in November or early December? It will be an opportunity for the new members to bring their ideas and to see where we are and what more we can do. Amqui (talk) 02:59, 29 October 2012 (UTC)

I'll gladly participate. Are you going to set up a poll on dates and times again? On the whole, November sounds fine with me. --Baba Tabita (talk) 09:50, 29 October 2012 (UTC)
Ok. 8 PM UTC any day (but Wensday) is fine for me. ~~EBE123~~ talkContribs 19:50, 29 October 2012 (UTC)
I will be there! --MF-W 17:35, 30 October 2012 (UTC)
I added the poll below. I guess IRC as last time is good or maybe people would prefer Skype where they can talk instead of typing? Amqui (talk) 19:22, 30 October 2012 (UTC)
Please also add your points and topics to the proposed agenda below. Amqui (talk) 19:31, 30 October 2012 (UTC)

I'll try to be online for whatever time you guys end up having it. The advanced notice is helpful, I'll try to have some information on the situation in my region prepared. Osiris (talk) 07:24, 5 November 2012 (UTC)

Same here. Djembayz (talk) 12:53, 6 November 2012 (UTC)

Proposed timingsEdit

Please add your name to the times that work for you, or feel feel to propose other times. The date will be chosen on November 11th. And don't forget to come back to check the chosen timing.

Friday, 23 NovemberEdit

0600-0700 UTC
2000-2100 UTC
 

Saturday, 24 NovemberEdit

0700-0800 UTC
  • ...
1600-1700 UTC
2000-2100 UTC
 

Sunday, 25 NovemberEdit

0700-0800 UTC
  • ...
1600-1700 UTC
2000-2100 UTC

Proposed AgendaEdit

Please add your own topics.

  • Introduction of present people
  • Review of last meeting minutes
  • Updates and summaries of planned or on-going personal/chapter projects
  • Involvement and cooperation with other institutions and organizations working to promote endangered languages
  • Naming of the organization
  • ...
  • Varia

TimingEdit

The meeting will be held on Sunday, 25 November at 2000 UTC, on IRC, freenode server, channel #wikimedia-incubator. Amqui (talk) 00:31, 17 November 2012 (UTC)

Naming of Wikimedia Thematic OrganizationsEdit

Hi all,

I wanted to bring to your attention a discussion here on Meta on the way thematic organizations are named. Given that the proposal would affect your group, please let us know your thoughts on the matter.

Thank you. –Bence (talk) (AffCom) 12:43, 23 November 2012 (UTC)

Meeting transcriptsEdit

Is there a transcript of the first two meetings? John Vandenberg (talk) 00:34, 28 November 2012 (UTC)

The minutes of the first meeting are on an Etherpad. The link is higher on this page and on the main page as well. The second meeting has been cancelled since not enough people were present. Let me know if you have any question, thanks, Amqui (talk) 01:21, 28 November 2012 (UTC)

That being said, as I mentioned to somebody else on the mailing list, if you'd like to have a meeting at a time more appropriate for Australia to share your progress and ideas, I'd be more than happy. Let me know, Amqui (talk) 01:29, 28 November 2012 (UTC)

AddEdit

Wiki for Indigenous LanguagesEdit

A UCLA professor is putting together a Wiki for language revitalization, in collaboration with communities in California and Mexico.

This looks like the first step towards what we've been discussing here. Djembayz (talk) 03:42, 5 March 2013 (UTC)

Are you in contact with him ? Only 'inconvenient' for us, is that the license of his Wiki is incompatible with Wikimedia projects' license. Amqui (talk) 04:29, 5 March 2013 (UTC)
Yes, it's a slightly different model-- would be worthwhile to get in contact after coming back from Wikibreak in a few weeks. Djembayz (talk) 09:32, 12 March 2013 (UTC)

Less misleading name?Edit

Since many of the languages that this project aims to assist do not actually fall in the "indigenous" category, I think it is best to consider some alternatives, perhaps one of these:

  • Wikimedia Underrepresented Languages
  • Wikimedia Marginalized Languages
  • Wikimedia Language Empowerment
  • Wikimedia Empowering Languages
  • Wikimedia Vital Languages
  • Wikimedia Indigenous And Marginalized Languages--Pharos (talk) 14:21, 12 March 2013 (UTC)
If we are brainstorming for a new name, might as well brainstorm to find something else then "Wikimedia Name" as per recommendations of the Affiliation Committee (even if we are more an informal group/project than an organization that falls under the Affiliation Committee's scope). Amqui (talk) 04:58, 13 March 2013 (UTC)
Well, even if we replace "Wikimedia" with "Wiki", I think it's the second part of the name that matters more.--Pharos (talk) 03:28, 26 March 2013 (UTC)
Some more brainstorming ideas:
  • Wikimedians for the Development of Small Languages Projects
  • Wikimedians for the Development of Endangered Languages Projects
  • Wiki Project Languages Empowerement
  • Languages Revitalization Wiki Project
  • Small Languages Support Wiki Project
  • Wikimedia Small Languages

Amqui (talk) 20:18, 25 April 2013 (UTC)

    • Small Languages Wiki Foundation
    • Wiki in All Languages Foundation

Amqui (talk) 18:27, 7 May 2013 (UTC)

TableIncubatorEnEdit

New Incubator wiki statistics ru:Участник:Ace111/TableIncubatorEn --Kaiyr (talk) 11:44, 22 March 2013 (UTC)

Wikimania 2013Edit

Smithsonian Folklife Festival 2013 Endangered Languages, June 26-20, July 3-7Edit

Ahoy, Indigenous Language fans! Have you heard about this event, Smithsonian Folklife Festival 2013? Can we assist or collaborate with this? Djembayz (talk) 23:09, 1 May 2013 (UTC)

What would be the opportunity for Wikimedia in this event? Amqui (talk) 00:01, 2 May 2013 (UTC)

WikiLangEdit

If this project gets approved, WIL should do outreach to get more contributors and should have some sort of relationship with the project. PiRSquared17 (talk) 14:46, 7 May 2013 (UTC)

I added support to Wikilang (support to its creation and support to the actual project once created) as a mission of WIL. Thanks, Amqui (talk) 14:26, 9 May 2014 (UTC)

Wikimedia LGBTEdit

  Wikimedia LGBT+
Wikimedia LGBT+ is a proposed thematic organization that seeks to promote the development of content on Wikimedia projects which is of interest to LGBT+ communities. Proposed activities include outreach at LGBT events, Wikimania and other Wikimedia events, an international campaign called Wiki Loves Pride, and work on safe space policies, among other collaborations and interwiki projects. Active Wikimedians are welcome to join this cause! Please consider adding your name as a participant/supporter. Current tasks include translating pages, building a strong framework here at Meta, and achieving user group status (with the eventual goal of becoming a thematic organization). Your feedback is welcome on the discussion page.

--Another Believer (talk) 17:53, 1 November 2013 (UTC)

StatusEdit

What is the status of WIL? PiRSquared17 (talk) 19:47, 4 April 2014 (UTC)

It's still only an open online platform for discussions between contributors and other people involved, nothing more at the moment. Amqui (talk) 14:25, 9 May 2014 (UTC)

w:es:Wikiproyecto:Wikimedia en langues régionales de EspañaEdit

I invite to participate. And create table for wikipedia of Hispanoamérica.--Kaiyr (talk) 12:13, 26 September 2014 (UTC)

New tool for article creation: beta testers neededEdit

With a small team of people I am building a tool, that should help to speed up the article creation process. It all started from a simple question on how to support the growth of Võro Wikipedia and ended up with a java program, that allows rapid translation of big number of articles. It works with any Wikipedia version, but it is specially designed for smaller languages to speed up the growth of thus wikis. If some people around here would like to test it out, then please contact me. Kruusamägi (talk) 00:14, 20 January 2015 (UTC)

Project: Atikamekw knowledge, culture and languageEdit

Hello, you are welcome to have a look at the project Atikamekw knowledge, culture and language in Wikimedia projects. We are looking for endorsements and contributions! Best, Seeris (talk) 04:58, 28 June 2016 (UTC)

Modifying the pageEdit

Hi! I intend to slightly modify and activate this page in order to suit the resolutions made in the Lesser Used Languages Meeting held in Wikimania 2017 as talked there. Should you have queries or proposals, feel free to contact me! --Iñaki LL (talk) 21:52, 22 October 2017 (UTC)

Theklan, MassiveEartha, Vsuarezp, Gustavo, Dbudell, HakanIST, Psubhashish, Aervin, Frhdkazan, Lluis_tgn, Metsavend, Shanluan, Amqui, Susan.nls, Akerbeltz, Jason.nls, Llywelyn2000
As stated above, for now I added a news section intended to feed updates related to lesser-used language projects and initiatives within Wikimedia, as pointed on WIL's main page. It is pretty straightforward, just copy the syntax of the update I have added by now. Whatever content relevant to the topic is welcome / feel free to invite more potential contributors over, we want to know about each other:)
It should renew cooperation by turning this web page into a meeting point for minority language projects so that we can provide info, showcase, get feedback and assistance, congratulate, and support. Besides text, images and charts should also take on a relevant role in that they may help narrowing the language gap. Show us what you are doing, see you there / laster arte! --Iñaki LL (talk) 20:03, 18 December 2017 (UTC)
Hi Iñaki LL, I wanted to add the project Atikamekw knowledge, culture and language in Wikimedia projects to the list of projects but I am not sure how to proceed with the syntax :/ Seeris (talk) 00:53, 6 January 2018 (UTC)
@Seeris: There you are! For the syntax just copy the previous news, adding also a featured picture; your wikimedia code is [[wmca:]] Good luck --Iñaki LL (talk) 15:07, 7 January 2018 (UTC)
@Iñaki LL: Thanks! :)

There would be a Third WIL meeting and when?Edit

The last meeting was a long time ago, and things could have since changed. Wwould be better to review all the things have happened since last meeting. --Zerabat (discusión) 13:47, 30 May 2018 (UTC)

Vote for the group's new nameEdit

Following up from Wikimedia Indigenous Languages Telegram discussion, I am calling a vote to determine a new name for the group. If you are involved but new to this discussion, I invite you to join the Telegram group (see Contacts on namespace of this article) and check out the argumentation provided.

Here are the options. Please vote optionally two options you support by adding   Support under them, The vote will start on Saturday, 7 September 2019, at 00:00 UTC, and end in 10 days on Tuesday, 17 September 2019, at 23:59 UTC. Iñaki LL (talk) 15:19, 6 September 2019 (UTC)

OptionsEdit

Wikimedia Underrepresented Languages
  1. Second.   Support --Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 08:44, 8 September 2019 (UTC)
  2. Second   Support Jon Harald Søby (talk) 13:35, 10 September 2019 (UTC)
  3. Second.   Support -Yupik (talk) 20:37, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
Wikimedia Under-resourced Languages


Wikimedia Minority Languages
  1.   Support Iñaki LL (talk) 16:28, 9 September 2019 (UTC)
  2.   Support Llywelyn2000 (talk) 15:58, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
Wikimedia Language Diversity
  1.   Support -- Muhraz (talk) 05:53, 8 September 2019 (UTC)
  2. First.   Support --Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 08:44, 8 September 2019 (UTC)
  3.   Support.1 --Frhdkazan (talk) 13:38, 8 September 2019 (UTC)
  4.   Support --Ilham.nurwansah (talk) 10:50, 9 September 2019 (UTC)
  5.   Support Iñaki LL (talk) 16:28, 9 September 2019 (UTC)
  6.   Support Jon Harald Søby (talk) 13:35, 10 September 2019 (UTC)
  7. support --MF-W 13:41, 10 September 2019 (UTC)
  8.   Support --Pharos (talk) 14:29, 10 September 2019 (UTC)
  9.   Support (first) as this is more inclusive while still allowing more specific actions. --Psubhashish (talk) 08:53, 11 September 2019 (UTC)
  10.   Support Llywelyn2000 (talk) 15:58, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
  11.   Support this name sweet me well.Reda Kerbouche (talk) 06:33, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
  12.   Support GorkaAzk (talk) 12:23, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
  13.   Support John Samuel 10:19, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
  14.   Support -Yupik (talk) 20:37, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
Wikimedia Indigenous Languages


Wikimedia SOS Languages


Wikimedia Vulnerable Languages


Wikimedia Loves Languages


Wikimedia Language Sustainability
  1. Second option -- Muhraz (talk) 05:53, 8 September 2019 (UTC)
  2.   Support.2 --Frhdkazan (talk) 13:38, 8 September 2019 (UTC)
  3.   Support (second) --Psubhashish (talk) 08:53, 11 September 2019 (UTC)

ResultEdit

The period to cast votes is now over. The result has been as follows:

  • Wikimedia Underrepresented Languages: 3 votes.
  • Wikimedia Minority Languages: 2 votes.
  • Wikimedia Language Diversity: 14 votes.
  • Wikimedia Language Sustainability: 3 votes.

As a result, Wikimedia Language Diversity has been selected as the new name for the group! Iñaki LL (talk) 08:25, 18 September 2019 (UTC)

Return to "Wikimedia Language Diversity" page.