Talk:Wikimedia LGBT+

Active discussions


WMF UCOC Update: SurveyEdit

Hello Everyone,

The message below is from Mervat Salman of the Trust and Safety Team. She is compiling information for the UCOC committee from all affiliate groups about their experiences with harassment, what they expect from the UCOC, and what they do not want to see in it. Links to the survey in several languages are below. If you need it in another language, please contact Mervat at msalman-ctr@wikimedia.org. She would like folx to send their responses within the next two weeks. Thank you very much!

Sincerely, Rachel Wexelbaum (User:RachelWex)


There has been talks about the need for a global set of conduct rules in different communities over time, and finally, Wikimedia Foundation Board announced a Community Culture Statement, enacting new standards to address harassment and promote inclusivity across projects.

Since the universal code of conduct that will be a binding minimum set of standards across all Wikimedia projects, will apply to all of us, staff and volunteers alike, all around the globe, and will impact our work as groups, individuals and projects, it’s of great importance that we all participate in expressing our opinions and thoughts about UCoC, its nature, what we think it should cover or include and what it shouldn’t include; how it may develop, drawback or help our groups.

This is the time to talk about it. As you are a valuable contributor to the Wikimedia movement, your voice counts. Before starting to draft the code of conduct, we would like to hear from you; We invite you to devote some minutes to take this survey; your answers will help us create a safer environment for all on Wikimedia:

(English): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd36dNdU3C5shXEkKp9itJOhuCTx9hZE5AE-xflkxtfRMnZtg/viewform?usp=pp_url

(Spanish): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSczplOUFD8MXf7hBBd6kuELGF4sOGyqnXwbrWHg3yP9JK3Cgg/viewform?usp=pp_url

(French): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTJRc-8Pzi8J7rhlh3nqT7OvB5g1MN3n-SXCz786JCMWVHGQ/viewform?usp=pp_url

(Dutch): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOdS5dCkC8eYlnc-546d42b8N36bOwZ9uFOjmvD3h2TNnysQ/viewform?usp=pp_url

(Russian): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTJRc-8Pzi8J7rhlh3nqT7OvB5g1MN3n-SXCz786JCMWVHGQ/viewform?usp=pp_url

It’s possible that you are a member of more than one affiliate; hence you may receive this survey more than once, and you may have participated previously in the discussions or filled out a previous survey during the first round of consultations about UCoC which targeted wikipedia/wikimedia communities. We apologize for this; it is really difficult to identify if a wikimedian belongs to multiple groups that work to spread free knowledge.

Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions and hoping that you can respond within the next 2 weeks. If you have any questions about the surveys or difficulties accessing the link, please contact me by email (msalman-ctr@wikimedia.org)

Results will be considered during the drafting process for the UCoC

Thank you for your participation



Mervat Salman

Trust & Safety (Policy) Facilitator

Wikimedia Foundation

Movement Strategy - What Are Your Choices For ImplementationEdit

Hello Wikimedia LGBT+,

The time has come to put Strategy into work and everyone's invited to participate.

The Movement Strategy Design Group and Support Team are inviting you to organize virtual meetings with your community and colleagues before the end of October. The aim is for you to decide what ideas from the Movement Strategy recommendations respond to your needs and will have an impact in the movement. The recommendations are available in different formats and in many languages. There are 10 awesome recommendations and close to 50 recommended changes and actions or initiatives. Not everything will be implemented. The aim of prioritization is to create an 18-month implementation plan to take some of the initiatives forward starting in 2021.

Prioritization is at the level of your group, affiliate, and community. Think local and relevant! Regional and thematic platforms are great ways to prepare and share ideas. Afterwards, we will come together in November to co-create the implementation plan. More information about November’s global events will be shared soon. For now and until the end of October, organize locally and share your priorities with us.

You can find guidance for the events, the simple reporting template, and other supporting materials here on Meta. You can share your results directly on Meta, by email, or by filling out this survey. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or comments, strategy2030 wikimedia.org

We will be hosting office hours to answer any questions you might have, Thursday October 1 at 14.00 UTC (Google Meet).

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 16:18, 25 September 2020 (UTC)

Free speech issue on English WikipediaEdit

A question came up about whether to permit individuals in English Wikipedia to bring statements about LGBT marriage into public spaces. Someone wanted to post the phrase "marriage is one man and one woman", which the LGBT+ community recognizes as hatemongering. I will not go into detail and I am not recommending any action or response, but I wanted to log some activity here as a historical record of LGBT related wiki policy. The discussion centered on a deletion proposal for user boxes.

Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:46, 16 October 2020 (UTC)

Regional Call for South Asia - Oct. 30Edit

Hi everyone. The time has come to put Movement Strategy into work and we need your help. We are inviting South Asian communities, Indian Wikimedians, and anyone else interested to join a region-focused conversation on Movement Strategy and implementation. Please join us on Friday Oct. 30 at 19.30 / 7:30 pm IST (Google Meet).

The purpose of the meeting is to get prepared for global conversations, to identify priorities for implementation in 2021, and to plan the following steps. There are 10 recommendations and they propose multiple 45 initiatives written over two years by many Wikimedians. It is now up to communities to decide which ones we should work on together in 2021, starting with local and regional conversations. Global meetings will take place later in November when we will discuss global coordination and resources. More information about the global events will be shared soon.

  • What is work you’re already doing that is aligned with Movement Strategy?
  • What are priorities for you in 2021?
  • What are things we should all work on globally?

We would not be able to grow and diversify as a movement if communities from South Asia are not meaningfully involved in implementing the recommendations. Join the conversation with your questions and ideas, or just come to say hi. See you on Friday October 30.

A translatable version of this message can be found on Meta.

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 17:24, 19 October 2020 (UTC)

Sunday October 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Friendship is a movement value.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the September and August SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday October 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 17:28, 20 October 2020 (UTC)

October LGBT+ User Group Meeting - Thursday October 29 at 1:00 pm EDTEdit

We somehow missed having a meeting earlier in the month, and after mentioning this on our Telegram channel it seems this may be the next opportunity for us to gather for our next monthly meeting. Please note the times, as globally time changes have not yet happened so please make sure to check your times for this meeting. The Zoom link is https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82833697853

I will schedule the agenda and a meeting page, though really hope we can discuss the Movement Strategy needs and determine our User Group's priorities. If we do not, we may lose out on any support we are otherwise eligible for. --- FULBERT (talk) 11:39, 29 October 2020 (UTC)

Here is a link to a page for today's meeting. --- FULBERT (talk) 16:12, 29 October 2020 (UTC)
Here are some slides to help us with this. --- FULBERT (talk) 16:16, 29 October 2020 (UTC)

Wikimedia LGBT+ Movement Strategy PrioritiesEdit

Hello Wikimedia LGBT+ Membership,

After our Wikimedia LGBT+ meeting this past Thursday, User:RachelWex and Blue Rasberry drafted the following Movement Strategy Priorities for Wikimedia LGBT+. This is only a draft at this point. Please feel free to comment and discuss in the next few days; we need to submit these Movement Strategies in two weeks or so.

For the complete list of Movement Strategy priorities, please refer to the following document: [[1]]


Recommendation 3: Provide for Safety and Inclusion
Priority:
Why We Want It:
Wikimedia LGBT+ membership is among the most targeted and at risk groups for harm in Wikimedia spaces. Moreover, the LGBT+ community is as diverse as the global population. While this maximal community diversity has its benefits, it also means that the safety problems which members report to us are also maximally diverse. The safety solutions which this community requires can only come from LGBT+ engagement in addressing the challenge of safety.
Wikimedia LGBT+ membership is most at risk for harm in Wikimedia spaces. We are a multinational, multicultural, intersectional group who also encompass Black, Indigenous, and other people of color; non-Christian individuals; disabled individuals, and individuals whose Wikipedia work may put them at odds with local or national LGBT-phobic laws.
What we want to do:
Lead in development of training materials or other educational opportunities to make online spaces more inclusive and accepting of LGBT+ people.
Advocate for more WMF legal representation and coordination with human rights organizations to protect LGBTQ+ Wikimedians.
16 Code of Conduct
17 Private incident reporting 18 Baseline of community responsibilities
19 Develop a safety assessment and execution plan - technical, human, and legal support processes
20 Advocacy - local capacity development
21 Built-in platform mechanisms for safety


Recommendation 8: Identify Topics for Impact
Priority:
Why we want it:
LGBT+ content still non-existent, underrepresented, inaccurate, or culturally irrelevant in many language Wikipedias. As terminology evolves and the number of notable LGBTQ+ people, events, legislation, etc increases, Wikimedia LGBT+ needs to ensure that the main topic areas are kept authoritative and in good standing in all language Wikipedias.
What we want to do:
36 Identify the impact of Wikimedia projects & content

  • Eliminate Misinformation
  • Identifying impactful topics

37 List of high-impact topics

  • Bridging content gaps

38 Content initiatives in underrepresented communities


Recommendation 6: Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
Priority:
Why we want it:
Currently Wikimedia LGBT+ is a global thematic user group with growing international membership. While all of us are engaged in a wide variety of individual LGBT+ Wikimedia activities and initiatives, our global thematic user group needs community and topic specific leadership training to engage and include our broader existing and incoming membership and to ensure consistent funding for large global projects.
What we want to do:
Develop Wikimedia LGBT+ infrastructure, membership, and leadership so that it is sustainable.
31 Global approach for local skill development - gathering data, matching peers, mentorship, recognition
32 Leadership development plan
33 Skill development infrastructure


RachelWex (talk) 16:31, 30 October 2020 (UTC)

Thanks User:RachelWex and Blue Rasberry for getting this conversation started. What is the best way for us to discuss, develop, and wrap-up this effort? Should we reply here or just edit the parts above, wikk-style? I know the timeline is very close, after which we will miss out on funding as a UG as related to the Movement Strategy. --- FULBERT (talk) 16:37, 31 October 2020 (UTC)
@RachelWex and FULBERT: This is late but I have an editable document at Wikimedia LGBT+/2020 Movement Strategy Priorities. Will also share with telegram. This should go to Mehrdad as our WMF contact for this. Can one of you send this to him for comment? "Mehrdad - to what extent is this kind of document what you are requesting from Wikimedia community affiliates for the upcoming Wikimedia Foundation Movement Strategy discussion on priorities? Would you want other affiliates to produce a list like this?" Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:39, 6 November 2020 (UTC)
Thanks User:RachelWex and Blue Rasberry (talk). I made some edits on that link for flow and clarity. Let me know if you prefer me to port those here. --FULBERT (talk) 16:10, 8 November 2020 (UTC)

I will send this to Mehrdad on Monday with the questions that you present here. Thanks Lane. RachelWex (talk) 00:40, 8 November 2020 (UTC)

We need to submit our prioritized recommendations for what our UG is requesting related to the Movement Strategy. Any other feedback or thoughts on this, please add or offer thoughts by Thursday November 12 — https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_LGBT%2B/2020_Movement_Strategy_Priorities. Either RachelWex or I will submit for our UG on Friday. Thanks Blue Rasberry (talk) for your help moving this forward. --FULBERT (talk) 02:32, 10 November 2020 (UTC)

Notification of Affiliate Expiration - Renewal pending submission of reportingEdit

Greetings 

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. Wikimedia User Groups are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal.  Reports must be written in English, posted to meta via the  Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal. This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements).  It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.  As noted on the meta Reports page,  your organization’s 2019-20 annual reporting became past due in September.  Please be sure to :

  1. Post your 2019-20 annual reporting to the meta via the  Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement. # Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and# Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Regards,

MKaur (WMF) (talk) 18:17, 6 November 2020 (UTC)

Wikimedia LGBT+ Annual ReportEdit

Hello Everyone,

User: FULBERT and I (User:RachelWex) have to put together our annual report for Wikimedia LGBT+. We have to talk about what the group accomplished in the past 12 months, and perhaps what WMF funds we spent doing those things. I will put something on meta later so that people can contribute content. We did all the conference planning of course for Queering Wikipedia, but there was a lot of other things people did too I think that we accomplished as a larger group.

We received a 30 day extension to submit the report in December, but we are trying to get on top of this now. Please let us know if you have anything we should include in this report.

Sincerely,

Rachel Wexelbaum (User:RachelWex)

Jeffrey Keefer (User:FULBERT)

We are tracking our Annual Report specs for the last year HERE. Please add whatever you have about our User Group over the last year. Pinging a few of our memebrs who may be able to add things to this User:Another Believer, User:Fæ, User:RachelWex, Pharos, Shikeishu, Nattes à chat, Rajeeb, Zblace, Kawayashu. We need this completed and submitted by December 11, 2020. --FULBERT (talk) 18:36, 12 November 2020 (UTC)

Thank you for reminder! I can contribute with reporting on the work I did inside the conference program group, my own efforts in Video statements (with 3 members contributing) and #femWikiRAINBOW intervention (with one other member joining). I am not sure if work that was done on http://Queer.WikiSpore.org counts into this (just to make sure it is not double reported). Zblace (talk) 07:50, 13 November 2020 (UTC)

Wiki Women/Womxn Meet Up for Movement Strategy ImplementationEdit

Hi everyone. The time has come to put Movement Strategy into work and we need your help. We are inviting Wiki women/womxn of all languages to join an online meeting focused on Movement Strategy and Implementation.

  • Date/Time: Saturday, November 14, 2020, at 16:00 - 18:00 UTC
  • Zoom link

The purpose of the meeting is to prepare for global conversations, to identify priorities for implementation in 2021, and to plan the following steps. There are 10 recommendations and they propose multiple 45 initiatives written over two years by many Wikimedians. It is now up to communities to decide which ones we should work on together in 2021, starting with local and regional conversations. Global meetings will take place later in November when we will discuss global coordination and resources.

We would not be able to grow and diversify as a movement if wiki women/womxn communities are not meaningfully involved in implementing the recommendations. Join the conversation with your questions and ideas, or just come to say hi. Learn more here. See you soon! --Rosiestep (talk) 17:12, 11 November 2020 (UTC)

November LGBT+ User Group Meeting - Thursday November 12 at 1:00 pm ESTEdit

We have been discussing meeting in November to finalize our LGBT+ User Group's Priorities for the Movement Strategy -- see HERE for what we are proposing -- and the final time we can discuss this before it must be submitted is at this time. It has been shared on the Telegram channel and through the email list, so now our task is merely to finalize any open language issues.

Here is a link to a page for today's meeting, so please check your times HERE. All are welcome. --FULBERT (talk) 17:40, 12 November 2020 (UTC)

Join the Global Conversations on November 21 and 22Edit

Hola, こんにちは, E kaabo, Ciao, ਸਤਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ, Hello, سلام, Halo, Salut, 你好, Nnọọ, হ্যালো, Hallo, สวัสดี, Dzień dobry, Gyebale ko, வணக்கம், Mi Kwabo, ନମସ୍କାର, приветствие, שלום, Mholo, नमस्ते, γεια, Ahoj, ഹലോ, 여보세요, مرحبا, Բարեւ Ձեզ, Xin chào, Hallå, ಹಲೋ, Sawubona, નમસ્તે, Здраво, Merhaba, Talofa, హలో, Olá, ನಮಸ್ಕಾರ

Wikimedia LGBT+, we would love to see you at the upcoming Movement Strategy Global Conversations. It’s been a while.

The Movement Strategy Global Conversations will take place on Saturday November 21, 11:00 to 15:00 UTC, and Sunday November 22, 17:00 to 21:00 UTC, and you are warmly invited.

The focus will be to look at priorities identified by communities and affiliates, and to begin to create a movement-wide implementation plan for 2021. The main sessions will be in English. Any group interested to support live interpretation in another language may be able to receive a rapid grant. Let us know as soon as possible.

Please register by Nov. 20 so we can share the Zoom login information with you. If you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Support Team via Telegram, Wikimedia Chat or by email at strategy2030 wikimedia.org.

Looking forward to seeing you on November 21 or 22.

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 16:05, 16 November 2020 (UTC)

November LGBT+ User Group Meeting #2 - Wednesday November 18 at 1:00 pm EST /Edit

At our monthly User Group meeting last week, we discussed scheduling a follow-up to write our LGBT+ User Group's Annual Report together. Some have already been working on this, and this will be an opportunity to do this together.

Here is a link to a page for today's meeting, so please check your times HERE. All are welcome. --FULBERT (talk) 14:04, 18 November 2020 (UTC)

Call for insights on ways to better communicate the work of the movementEdit

The Movement Strategy recommendations published this year made clear the importance of establishing stronger communications within our movement. To this end, the Foundation wants to gather insights from communities, including affiliates, on ways we all might more consistently communicate about our collective work, and better highlight community contributions from across the movement. Over the coming months, we will be running focus groups and online discussions to collect these insights. We hope your affiliate will decide to share your thoughts by participating in a focus group or joining the discussion on Meta-Wiki.

ELappen (WMF) (talk) 18:54, 18 November 2020 (UTC)

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 18:48, 24 November 2020 (UTC)

Global Conversations continue on December 5 and 6Edit

Hola, こんにちは, Ciao, Hello, سلام, Halo, Salut, 你好, Nnọọ, হ্যালো, Hallo, สวัสดี, Dzień dobry, வணக்கம், приветствие, שלום, Mholo, हैलो, γεια, Ahoj, ഹലോ, 여보세요, مرحبا, Բարեւ Ձեզ, Olá, Xin chào, Hallå, ಹಲೋ, Sawubona, Здраво, Merhaba, Talofa, హలో

 
Global Conversations Dec. 5 & 6

Hi Wikimedia LGBT+. 250 people participated in virtual Global Conversations that took place on November 21 and 22. The conversation continues on December 5 and 6 and we warmly invite you to take part. Registration is open until December 4. Looking forward to seeing you.

Since September, many groups have shared their local, regional, and thematic priorities for implementing the Movement Strategy recommendations. During the first set of Global Conversations on Nov. 21 and 22, we focused on initiatives that should be globally prioritized and coordinated. We invite you to read the selected global priorities. What do you like about them? What is missing? And what would make you want to play an active role in implementation? Share your thoughts in advance and continue the conversation on December 5 and 6.

Looking forward to seeing you again, or for the first time, on December 5 and 6.

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 20:58, 25 November 2020 (UTC)

On the Map: Wikimedia LGBT+ Movement Strategy PrioritiesEdit

Wikimedia LGBT+ Movement Strategy Priorities are now officially on the map and table of Wikimedia Movement Strategy Priorities...

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Prioritization_events/Table

Thank you to all who worked on this. I hope that Wikimedia LGBT+ represents on the Dec 5 - Dec 6 Movement Strategy discussions.

RachelWex (talk) 20:14, 1 December 2020 (UTC)

2020 December Foundation commitment of support for LGBT+ volunteersEdit

On Tuesday December 8, 2020, Maggie Dennis, VP of Community Resilience and Sustainability at the Wikimedia Foundation, released the following statement of commitment to support LGBTQ+ Wikimedians and those from other vulnerable populations with some actions to be taken.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Resilience_and_Sustainability/2020_December_Foundation_commitment_of_support_for_LGBT%2B_volunteers

I would like to thank the team of international LGBTQ+ Wikimedians who have helped me draft the commitments and actions to bring to WMF for discussion and implementation. The only reason I do not name them here is for their safety, as not everyone supports this work, and two of the volunteers engaged in this work are currently under threat. If you worked on this team with me and would like to be named, please reach out and I will do so.

Sincerely, RachelWex (talk)

Thank you for coordinating this @RachelWex:. I was glad to participate! In the meantime the statement has benn translated into French, Italian and ‎hrvatski. Let's hope that it will be translated in all languagesǃ Nattes à chat (talk) 17:46, 9 December 2020 (UTC)

December LGBT+ User Group Meeting #1 - Thursday December 10 at 1:00 pm EST /Edit

Our December monthly User Group meeting will be at our regularly scheduled time of 1:00pm EST via Zoom. Please check your time here.

Please add agenda items and discussion points on our page for the meeting. All are welcome. --FULBERT (talk) 03:29, 10 December 2020 (UTC)

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meetingEdit

 
Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 18:39, 1 January 2021 (UTC)

January 2021 LGBT+ User Group Meeting - Tuesday January 19 at 12:30 pm EST/ 17:30 UTCEdit

Our January monthly User Group meeting will be at 12:30pm EST via Zoom. Please check your time here.

Please add agenda items and discussion points on our page for the meeting. All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 10:18, 18 January 2021 (UTC)

Return to "Wikimedia LGBT+" page.