Open main menu

Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Contents

Welcome to Meta!Edit

Hello Papuass, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!

- Ottava Rima (talk) 00:12, 9 November 2011 (UTC)

A barnstar for you!Edit

Hi! I just want to thank you and give you this barnstar for your help with the translation of the 2011 fundraiser! The fundraiser was the best we ever had, both in terms of the amount we collected and in terms of number of translations. We couldn't have done either one without the help we got from you and other translators. If you are interested, we made a report, which has some statistics about the translations.

And: I have one more request, and that is that you take this survey. You may have got an e-mail about it, and if you did, please ignore this. But if you didn't it would be great if you would take this survey too, so we can learn to improve the translation experience.

Again, thanks for your help with translations – you're awesome! Jon Harald Søby (WMF) 14:29, 24 January 2012 (UTC)

Translate some names for hundreds software projects including MediaWikiEdit

Hello, I'm writing you because you subscribed to a Language support team. As you know, Wikimedia projects exist in almost 300 languages; supporting them all is a big effort so we partner with other organisations. One small but visible thing we miss is that many interwiki links in sidebar (among others) don't offer a translation of the language name when hovered. We're now able to translate 100 more language names in your language.

If you're interested, I can create you an account to submit translations on the CLDR web tool (within June 14): please send an email to ask one and I'll follow up with instructions. On CLDR you can translate and tweak many other things, if you desire; your work will impact hundreds of software projects. Thanks, Nemo 17:58, 2 May 2014 (UTC)

Superprotect statusEdit

Dear Papuass, since you are an administrator on a wiki from which no user participated in this discussion, I'd like to make sure you are aware of some recent events which may alter what the Wikimedia Foundation lets you do on your wiki: Superprotect.

Peteforsyth 09:36, 12 September 2014 (UTC)

Wikimedia CEE Spring 2015 2nd meetingEdit

Dear Papuass,

I am contacting You as a contact person of Latvia for the Wikimedia CEE Spring 2015 event and to announce that the second meeting for the Wikimedia CEE Spring organisation team will take place on the 28th of January 2015. There will be 2 discussion groups for the meeting, as to get as much people involved (some of us have other engagements during the daytime and others are not available during the evenings).

The first group will start the discussion 12:00 CET (13:00 EET, 14:00 MSK, 15:00 AMT/AZT, 17:00 ALMT, 3:00 PST).

The second group will start the discussion 18:00 CET (19:00 EET, 20:00 MSK, 21:00 AMT/AZT, 23:00 ALMT, 9:00 PST).

During the discussion both Skype call and IRC will be used. For more details see event meetings page! Wikimedia Eesti will be responsible for moderating the groups, however all contributions to the etherpad protocol are more than welcome!

Thank you for your kind attention and CEE you soon! --Kaarel Vaidla (WM EE) (talk) 12:06, 27 January 2015 (UTC)

Movement Wide Finance Report 2014Edit

Dear Papuass,

I’m Alex, currently a finance fellow (i.e intern) at the Wikimedia Foundation. I worked before for Wikimedia France, planning the Hackathon Lyon 2015 mainly. I'm today contacting you because of your activity for Wikimedia Latvia User Group.

Last year, Finance Fellows produced a financial report that included financial activity from every chapters. It was great and has been presented at the Wikimania in Mexico.

If you haven’t seen the results of the Report 2013, here they are: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapter-wide_Financial_Trends_Report_2013

We’re currently starting the Report 2014 and this year we also want to include user groups to improve the scope of our work. I want to tell you that I’ve tried to make the process as short and easy as possible, so that shouldn’t require a lot of your time.

The aim of such a report is global. It helps having an idea of how the money is used across the movement, it helps chapters and user groups to learn about best practice and finally it leads to more transparency through a qualitative work, which I believe is important.

Could you briefly tell me if you had any income and expenses in 2014? If you are not the person responsible for this, please tell me who is the user the most likely to know this information.

I’ll be your contact for this project this year, I’m looking forward to working with you!

Cheers, ACella (WMF) (talk) 22:37, 6 October 2015 (UTC)

Hello! We did not hanve any budgeted money from WMF and we do not do local fundraising. However, we did apply for a grant for WLM and worked with external partner who had a budget for the event (we did not manage finances). --Papuass (talk) 11:56, 14 October 2015 (UTC)
Oh, your question was about 2014. I reported about 1015. In 2014 we did not handle any money at all. --Papuass (talk) 11:57, 14 October 2015 (UTC)

Your usernameEdit

If it means what I think it does (I learned a bit of Russian), is that not considered offensive in Latvia? 94.12.84.151 11:00, 3 December 2015 (UTC)

It means one of Papuan people (hence the picture). In Russian the meaning is also is something like primitive people. However, this meaning is not used very widely in Latvian language (which is my mother tongue, not Russian). Of course, I was fully aware of it while choosing the username. Call it a self-deprecation. --Papuass (talk) 11:32, 3 December 2015 (UTC)

Should FuzzyBot remove all potentially outdated translations?Edit

Hello, thanks for adding multiple new translations in your language here at Meta-Wiki in recent years. Please join the discussion with your opinion: Should FuzzyBot automatically remove all potentially outdated translations?. Nemo (talk) 12:01, 1 March 2016 (UTC)

Wikimedia CEE Spring 2016/Structure/LatviaEdit

I have added a table to Wikimedia CEE Spring 2016/Structure/Latvia section as new module example. Could we use it? --Voll (talk) 17:18, 5 March 2016 (UTC)

I was thinking the same. The only missing feature is somehow marking newly created articles (where to get data for that?). --Papuass (talk) 17:55, 5 March 2016 (UTC)

CEE Spring 2016 - prizesEdit

Hi!

I’m writing to you on behalf of Wikimedia Poland to inform you about the reimbursement process regarding CEE Spring 2016.

According to the international rules:

  • step 1 Local organizers buy the prizes themselves with their own money and acquire an invoice issued to Wikimedia Polska (Stowarzyszenie Wikimedia Polska ul. Tuwima 95, pok. 15 90-031 Łódź Polska)
  • step 2 local organizers send scan of the invoice to one of the international organizers (natalia.szafran@wikimedia.pl or nikola.kalchev@gmail.com) along with a protocol of the process of selection of winners and with a calculation of overall costs. The protocol must include actual names of the winners (the names will not be made public, they will be kept only in documents of Wikimedia Polska). The e-mail should also include data needed to make a bank transfer (bank account number and name of the account owner)
  • step 3 Wikimedia Poland will reimburse the money within two weeks after receiving all the documents needed

This way of buying the prizes is strongly advised. In case it is impossible the prizes can be bought by Wikimedia Polska from the suggested online shop. In this case you need to send to one of the international organizers (natalia.szafran@wikimedia.pl or nikola.kalchev@gmail.com) an email with links to the prizes in an online shop, a protocol of the proces of selection of winners (containing their actual names and usernames). After the purchase is done Wikimedia Polska needs to get an email containing some kind of proof that the prizes have reached the winners (postage waybill scan for instance or a scan of a declartion that the prize has been handed over, the declaration must be signed by the winner).

Please keep in mind that whenever possible local coordinators should buy the prizes themselves. Wikimedia Polska will buy them only in those cases when it is absolutely necessary. All documents must be sent to Wikimedia Poland by the end of June.

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us. Me and Nikola will be happy to guide you through the process and make it as easy as possible. And thank you for being a part of CEE Spring and organizing this awesome project in your community. Magalia (talk) 21:50, 8 June 2016 (UTC)

2016 Community Wishlist SurveyEdit

Hi,

You’re getting this message because you participated in the 2015 Community Wishlist Survey and we want to make sure you don't miss it this year – or at least can make the conscious choice to ignore if it you want to. The 2015 survey decided what the Community Tech team should work on during 2016. It was also the focus of Wikimedia hackathons and work by other developers. You can see the status of wishes from the 2015 wishlist at 2015 Community Wishlist Survey/Results.

The 2016 Community Wishlist Survey is now open for wishes. You can create proposals until November 20. You will be able to vote on which wishes you think are best or most important between November 28 and December 12. /Johan (WMF) (talk) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:17, 14 November 2016 (UTC)

LV support for #1lib1refEdit

Hi Papuass, I saw that you translated and updated the #1lib1ref campaign page for Latvian. I wanted to reach out to you, and ask if you needed any help organizing the campaign. We recommend that communities, reach out directly to the library networks in your language and cultural context. For more information, about how we hope to support campaign development, please see this starter email for the campaign organizers, and let me know if we can help you on any of those steps.Astinson (WMF) (talk) 20:09, 15 December 2016 (UTC)

Hi, Astinson (WMF)! I was planning to reach out to my existing contacts, but have not done it yet. --Papuass (talk) 20:19, 15 December 2016 (UTC)
Sending an email to library networks seems to work well globally. Here is a draft email we have been sending around: via Google Drive
Also, would you be interested in supporting the translation of Citation Hunt into Latvian. I will also need a little more information for the developer for citation hunt:
A) a link to a tutorial in Latvian for adding citations to Latvian Wikipedia
B) Confirmation that the main template for "Citation Needed" is https://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veidne:Nepiecie%C5%A1ama_atsauce and the maintenance category for it is https://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorija:Raksti,_kuru_apgalvojumiem_nepiecie%C5%A1amas_atsauces
Please let me know if I can help in any other way. Astinson (WMF) (talk) 20:47, 15 December 2016 (UTC)
Hi, Astinson (WMF). Translation is done. We do not have Citoid adapted to Latvian yet, so we have only lv:Palīdzība:Atsauces and lv:Vikipēdija:RefToolbar. B) is correct. --Papuass (talk) 17:04, 19 December 2016 (UTC)
Thanks! I see that the first link is a really basic instruction on how to implement ref tags. Do you have any other instructions (such as when it is appropriate to add a reference, etc? If not, we can definitely use that first one. Astinson (WMF) (talk) 17:37, 19 December 2016 (UTC)
There is more general page lv:Palīdzība:Atsauces un ārējās saites (includes external links) @Astinson (WMF):--Papuass (talk) 14:45, 2 January 2017 (UTC)
Hi Papuass, just one last question: is there any special policy for omitting references in the lead section, such as enwiki's WP:CITELEAD? If so, can you please provide a link to it? We usually display a notice about that in Citation Hunt, like so: https://tools.wmflabs.org/citationhunt/en?id=8976a0d6. This is totally optional if no such policy exists in lvwiki. Thanks! Surlycyborg (talk)
There is no such policy enforced or even formally defined. --Papuass (talk) 21:18, 3 January 2017 (UTC)
Done! Please have a look: https://tools.wmflabs.org/citationhunt/lv . It's a little bit experimental, because I'm trying to use some in the Latvian version some of the latest improvements I had to make for the German version, so let me know if you encounter problems! You can either ping me or file an issue on GitHub (https://github.com/eggpi/citationhunt/issues/). Thanks! Surlycyborg (talk)

Invitation to Wikimedia CEE Spring 2017Edit

Dear Mārtiņš,
Last year you were the local organiser of CEE Spring in Latvia and we invite you to participate in this year's contest! Please subscribe to the mailing list of the local organisers at https://lists.wikimedia.bg/mailman/listinfo/ceespring-localorganisers, add your community at the Meta page with the participants and discuss this year's edition of the contest on its talk page (Talk:Wikimedia CEE Spring 2017/Participants. We are looking forward to reading from you soon!
On behalf of the international organisers,
--Ата (talk) 20:38, 16 January 2017 (UTC)

Invitation to Met Open Access Artworks Challenge (15 May - 30 June)Edit

We'd like to invite UNESCO participants to join a new challenge on the same model, the Met Open Access Artworks Challenge. You can contribute by illustrating with images using some of the 375k photos now under CC0, starting or improving articles (try our new Mbabel tool!), or creating translations (if your language isn't listed, please ask!). You can sign up here: Met Open Access Artworks Challenge/Participants. --Pharos (talk) 17:59, 5 June 2017 (UTC)

Approved submission for Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2017Edit

Dear Mārtiņš,
On behalf of the Programme Committee of the Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2017, I am pleased to inform you that your submission Current state of Wikidata powered infoboxes was approved for presentation and was included in the event programme. Please take your time to review the schedule, as there might be some slight differences between the available timeslot allocated for your talk, and the duration you requested. Thank you for your participation, and see you in Warsaw. :) Bests, Spiritia 14:27, 25 August 2017 (UTC)

Adjusted textEdit

There has been a request to inform all who voted in the RfC about interlinking accounts involved with paid editing about the following adjustment in the "statement of issue" on Sept 18th, 2017.

It was clarified that this effort will help deal not only with impersonation of specific Wikipedians but also claims of being in good standing made by those who are not.[1] Thanks. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 19:59, 26 September 2017 (UTC)


Wikipedia Asian Month 2017 officially starts!Edit

Dear WAM organizer,

I’m Erick Guan, the coordinator of WAM 2017. Welcome to Wikipedia Asian Month 2017. Here is some information about organizations of events at a national level.

TimelineEdit

The event lasts a month for the participants. As of the beginning of the event, please:

  • Invite previous participants to join. We have a template you may want to use.
  • Setup your WAM page in your local wikiproject if you haven’t done that.
  • Link your WAM page at Wikipedia Asian Month 2017. It’s important for others to understand and connect to your community! Remove the X when you done that. WAM is organized at national level. So I have to ask you to put your country in front of your name if you haven’t done that.
  • Publish a notification about WAM in site notice as well as village pump. Go public!
  • Connect with us. Generally send me an email so that we can reach you for future information!
  • Become the jury member in a campaign on Fountain which is an amazing tool for you to supervise participants’ articles. If you don’t have the campaign set up, please contact us! And put a link to your community’s campaign page for participants’ navigation.
  • Organize a off-site editathon event. A coffee bar, internet and laptops. Though it’s optional. If you want to do that, please contact me.

In the following days, you should answer the questions from your community and supervise the submissions. Hope you have fun!

Interesting articlesEdit

Have some interesting articles in your mind or from community? Drop us a line so that we can exchange the information to other communities.

Looking for helpEdit

At all times, please send me an email at erick@asianmonth.wiki--Fantasticfears (talk) 23:34, 1 November 2017 (UTC)

Global Collaboration products newsletter: 2018-01Edit

00:56, 25 January 2018 (UTC)

Collaboration products newsletter: 2018-02Edit

11:29, 5 March 2018 (UTC)

Collaboration products newsletter: 2018-03Edit

12:25, 26 March 2018 (UTC)

Can we talk about editathon organizer tools?Edit

Hi Papuass, I’m a product manager at the Wikimiedia Foundation. My team's next assignment is to design and build a tool that will make life easier for people who organize and run editathons. (Here's the project page).  

I’m reaching out people known to organize editathons to learn more about your process and needs. I’d like to better understand where you most need help and what changes you’d like to see. If that sounds interesting to you, I’d I’d like to set up a time when we might chat via video conference (Google Hangouts).

If you’d like to talk, please send me a contact email where I can reach you and I’ll be in touch. You can reach me here: jmatazzoni[at]wikimedia.org. You might also wish to let me know what time zone you’re in (I’m in California time).

I’m looking forward to learning more about your work! —JMatazzoni (WMF) (talk) 00:02, 17 July 2018 (UTC)

Hi, I am interested. We can schedule a call when I return from Wikimania. --Papuass (talk) 16:42, 18 July 2018 (UTC)

Latest message for Collaboration team newsletter; Growth team's newsletter inviteEdit

Hello

Sorry to use English if that's not your favorite language.

You are receiving this message because you were reading the Collaboration team newsletter.

The Collaboration team doesn't longer exists. That team was working on building features that encourage collaboration. This is the latest message for that newsletter.

The Growth Team, formed in July 2018, supports some former Collaboration projects. The Growth Team's main objective is to ease new editors' first steps on wikis, through software changes. You can discover all objectives and missions of the Growth team on its page.

If you wish to be informed about Growth team's updates about easing new users first steps, you can subscribe to the new list to get updates. The first message from Growth –with a call for feedback on a new project– will be posted in a few days!

If you have questions or you want to share experiences made on your wiki about new users' first steps, please post them on the team talk page, in any language.

On behalf of the Growth team, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 10:29, 22 August 2018 (UTC)

Growth team updates #1Edit

Welcome to the first newsletter for the new Growth team!  

The Growth Team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects. We will be starting with Wikipedias, but we hope these changes will benefit every community.

8 ideas we consider: tell us what you think about them!

We are considering new features to build, that could retain new editors in mid-size Wikipedias. We will be testing new ideas in Czech and Korean Wikipedias, and then we'll talk to more communities (yours!) about adopting the ideas that work well.

We have posted the 8 ideas we are considering. We would really appreciate your thoughts and the thoughts from your community. Please share the ideas, and tell us what do you and your community think of those ideas before September 9.

Share your experiences with newcomers

We want to hear about what is working and what is not working for new contributors in your wiki. We also want to hear any reactions, questions, or opinions on our work. Please post on the team’s talk page, in any language!

Learn more about us

You can visit our team page to find out why our team was formed and how we are thinking about new editors, and our project page for detailed updates on the first project we'll work on.

Growth team's newsletter prepared by the Growth team and posted by botGive feedbackSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Growth team updates #2Edit

The Community Wishlist SurveyEdit

Hi,

You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.

You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)

Growth team updates #3Edit

Welcome to the third newsletter for the new Growth team!  

The Growth team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects.

Two Growth team projects to be deployed in next two weeks

We will be deploying the "Understanding first day" and "Personalized first day" projects on Czech and Korean Wikipedias in the coming weeks. See the new project pages below for full details on the projects, and our project updates page for their progress.

  • Understanding first day: learn about the actions new editors take right after creating their accounts. We will be careful with user privacy, and we hope to share initial results in December.
  • Personalized first day: learn about new editors' objectives by adding some optional questions to the new editor’s registration process, and personalizing their onboarding. We hope to share initial results in December.

Third Growth team project begins

  • Focus on help desk: direct newcomers to the local help desks where they can ask questions to help them make their first edits. We hope to have an initial experiment running in December.

Best practices for helping newcomers

We are going to direct newcomers to help desks. But what's the best way to reply to a newcomer there? We have gathered some best practices for successful interactions, based on community experiences and some external documentation. The page has also been reviewed by some experienced community members who suggested some changes. That page is now open for translations. Comments and suggestions are still welcome!

We are still looking for volunteers

Do you want to participate to our experiments? We are looking for new communities to work with us (especially a new mid-size wiki), and people to become ambassadors to help us to communicate with the different communities. Discover how you can involve yourself or your community.

Also, please share this update with your community and interested people!

Learn more about us

You can visit our team page to find out why our team was formed and how we are thinking about new editors, and our project page for detailed updates on the projects we'll work on.

Growth team's newsletter prepared by the Growth team and posted by bot, 13:30, 7 November 2018 (UTC) • Give feedbackSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Participate in usability testing for new Event Metrics tool?Edit

Hi Papuass. I'd like to invite you to participate in usability tests we're planning for the Event Metrics program now in development. The test will involve a one-hour video conference session with a design researchers, who will lead you through a series of tasks on the program and talk to you about how well the tool's user interface works for you and how it could be improved. Sessions will take place the second and third weeks of January.

If you think you can help out, please email Daisy Chen at dchen[at]wikimedia.org and let her know:

  • The email address where you prefer to be reached.
  • Your time zone
  • General times when you prefer to meet (evenings, mornings, etc.)

Daisy will follow up to schedule a time. Thanks for your help in making Event Metrics a tool that event organizers will find empowering. —JMatazzoni (WMF) (talk) 19:55, 30 November 2018 (UTC)

Extended to Dec: Wikipedia Asian Art Month with Metropolitan Museum of ArtEdit

 
Suzuri-bako, now in 11 languages!

I'd like to invite you to join Wikipedia Asian Art Month in the December extension of the sub-contest; if you write or translate just one article and include one of our images, you'll get a special Metropolitan Museum of Art postcard. And if you're one of the grand prize winners, you'll get a Met guidebook or Asian art publication.--Pharos (talk) 21:32, 5 December 2018 (UTC)

Growth team updates #4Edit

Welcome to the fourth newsletter for the new Growth team!  

The Growth team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects.

We need your feedback!

We have two requests for community members:

  1. Now that data is coming in for the welcome survey, we are planning how to use that data to personalize the newcomer's first day. See our current thoughts here, and join the conversation here.
  2. Try out the help panel's interactive prototype, and read about how we're planning to roll it out, and post any thoughts or reactions here.

Two Growth team projects have been deployed (detailed updates here)

  • Personalized first day (welcome survey) was deployed on November 20 on both Czech and Korean Wikipedias.
    • The survey is now being shown to half of new users (A/B test). Responses are being recorded in the database. We'll report on initial results during December.
    • We are planning to test a second version of the survey, called "Variation C", which we think will maximize the number of users who complete the survey and stay on the wiki.
    • The original objective of this project was to give newcomers the materials they need to achieve their goals, and so now we are currently planning how we will use the information collected in the welcome survey to personalize the newcomer's experience. We hope community members will read our current thinking and join the conversation here. Some of the plans we are considering include:
      • Making it easy for newcomers to see editing activity around the topic areas in which they indicated that they're interested.
      • Connecting interested newcomers to experienced editors.
      • Surfacing the help content most relevant to the reason for which the newcomers created their accounts.
  • Understanding first day (EditorJourney) was deployed on November 15 on both Czech and Korean Wikipedias. It has been done after a longer security review and final testing than expected. Data is now being recorded for all new users on those wikis, and we've been auditing the data and preparing to make initial reports during December. Stay tuned for the next newsletter!

Help panel is under construction

  • Focus on help desk (help panel) is planned to be deployed during the week of January 7 on both Czech and Korean Wikipedias.
  • This interactive prototype is the best way to see the design and wording in the feature.
  • We ran live user tests on the prototype, with results posted here.
  • In addition to giving the ability to ask a question, the help panel will also contain a set of links to existing help content. Our ambassadors on Czech and Korean Wikipedias are determining the right initial set of most helpful links in this task.
  • We encourage community members to try out the prototype and read about the rules for who will get the feature, and add any thoughts to this discussion.

We are still looking for volunteers

Do you want to participate to our experiments? We are looking for new communities to work with us (especially a new mid-size wiki), and people to become ambassadors to help us to communicate with the different communities. Discover how you can involve yourself or your community.

Also, please share this update with your community and interested people!

Learn more about us

You can visit our team page to find out why our team was formed and how we are thinking about new editors, and our project updates page for detailed updates on the projects we work on.

Growth team's newsletter prepared by the Growth team and posted by bot, 09:31, 7 December 2018 (UTC) • Give feedbackSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Growth team updates #5Edit

Welcome to the fifth newsletter for the new Growth team!  

The Growth team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects.

New projects for discussionEdit

We began the "Personalized first day" project with the welcome survey so that we could gather information about what newcomers are trying to accomplish. The next step is to use that information to create experiences that help the newcomers accomplish their goal – actually personalizing their first day. We asked for community thoughts in the previous newsletter, and after discussing with community members and amongst our team, we are now planning two projects as next steps: "engagement emails" and "newcomer homepage".

  • Engagement emails: this project was first discussed positively by community members here back in September 2018, and the team how has bandwidth to pursue it. The idea is that newcomers who leave the wiki don't get encouraged to return to the wiki and edit. We can engage them through emails that send them the specific information they need to be successful – such as contact from a mentor, the impact of their edits, or task recommendations. Please read over the project page, and comment on its discussion page with any ideas, questions, or concerns. Do you think this is a good idea? Where could we go wrong?
  • Newcomer homepage: we developed the idea for this project after analyzing the data from the welcome survey and EditorJourney datasets. We saw that many newcomers seem to be looking for a place to get started – a place that collects their past work, options for future work, and ways to learn more. We can build this place, and it can connect to the engagement emails. The content of both could be guided by what newcomers say they need during their welcome survey, and contain things like contact from a mentor, impact of their edits, or task recommendations. Please read over the project page, and comment on its discussion page with any ideas, questions, or concerns. Do you think this is a good idea? Where could we go wrong?

Initial reports on newcomer activityEdit

We have published initial reports on each of the team's first two projects. These reports give the basic numbers from each project, and there are many more questions we will continue to answer in future reports. We're excited about these initial findings. They have already helped us define and design parts of our future projects.

  • Welcome survey: the initial report on welcome survey responses is available here. Some of the main findings:
    • Most users respond to the survey, giving it high response rates of 67% and 62% in Czech and Korean Wikipedias, respectively.
    • The survey does not cause newcomers to be less likely to edit.
    • The most common reason for creating an account in Korean Wikipedia is to read articles—not for editing—with 29% of Korean users giving that responses.
    • Large numbers of respondents said they are interested in being contacted to get help with editing: 36% in Czech and 53% in Korean.
  • Understanding first day: the initial report on what newcomers do on their first day is available here. Some of the main findings:
    • Large numbers of users view help or policy pages on their first day: 42% in Czech and 28% in Korean.
    • Large numbers of users view their own User or User Talk page on their first day: 34% in Czech and 39% in Korean.
    • A majority of new users open an editor on their first day – but about a quarter of them do not go on to save an edit during that time.

Help panel deploymentEdit

The help panel was deployed in Czech and Korean Wikipedias on January 10. Over the past four weeks:

  • About 400 newcomers in each wiki have seen the help panel button.
  • About 20% of them open up the help panel.
  • About 50% of those who open it up click on one of the links.
  • About 5% of Czech users ask questions, and about 1% of Korean users ask questions.

We think that the 20% open rate and 50% click rate are strong numbers, showing that a lot of people are looking for help, and many want to help themselves by looking at help pages. The somewhat lower numbers of asking questions (especially in Korean Wikipedia) has caused us to consider new features to allow people to help themselves. We're going to be adding a search bar to the help panel next, which will allow users to type a search that only looks for pages in the Help and Wikipedia namespaces.

How to create a good feedback page?Edit

What is the way to built a good help page? What blocks you when writing an help page? Your replies will help to create better help contents to newcomers, that would be used on Help panel.

Growth team's newsletter prepared by the Growth team and posted by bot, 14:15, 13 February 2019 (UTC) • Give feedbackSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Growth team updates #6Edit

18:19, 18 March 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #7Edit

16:19, 29 April 2019 (UTC)

Call for submissions for the Community Growth space at Wikimania 2019Edit

Welcome to a special newsletter from the Growth team! This special newsletter is not about Wikimedia Foundation Growth team projects. Instead, it is a call for submissions for the Community Growth space at Wikimania 2019. We think that many people who receive this newsletter may have something valuable to contribute to this space at Wikimania. We haven't translated the newsletter, because Wikimania's language is English.

Please see below for the message from the organizers of the Community Growth space at Wikimania.

---

Wikimania 2019 is organized into 19 “spaces”, which are all accepting proposals for sessions. This message comes from the team organizing the Community Growth space.

Since you are interested b Growth team projects, and potentially involved in welcoming newcomers initiatives on your wiki, we would like to invite you to submit a proposal to the Community Growth space because of the actions you’ve done around newcomers on wikis. The deadline for submission is June 1. See below for Community Growth submission topics and session formats. Topics and sessions have to be in English.

In the Community Growth space, we will come together for discussions, presentations, and workshops that address these questions:

  • What is and is not working around attracting and retaining newcomers?
  • How should Wikimedia activities evolve to help communities grow and flourish?
  • How should our technology and culture evolve to help new populations to come online, participate and become community members?

Recommended topics: please see this link for the list for the list of recommended topics. If you do not plan to submit a proposal, you can also suggest additional topics here. If your topic does not fit into our space, remember that there are 18 other spaces that could welcome you sharing your knowledge and perspective.

Types of session. We prefer sessions that are participatory, interactive, promote conversations, and give a voice to parts of our movement that are heard less often. Please see this link for the list of recommended session formats.

Poster submissions. Posters are also a good way to introduce a topic, or show some results of an action. Please consider submitting one!

More information about the Community Growth space, topics, and submission formats is available on the proposal page.

Please submit your proposal. The reviews will happen at the beginning of June.

If you have questions about Wikimania in general, please ask them on the Wikimania wiki.

On behalf of the Community Growth leadership team, Trizek (WMF), 11:45, 16 May 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #8Edit

09:02, 13 June 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #9Edit

14:26, 23 July 2019 (UTC)

Growth team updates #10Edit

18:49, 2 October 2019 (UTC)

Return to the user page of "Papuass".