Wiki Movement Brazil User Group
Grupo de Usuários Wiki Movimento Brasil (in English, "Wiki Movement Brazil User Group"), formerly known as Grupo de Usuários da Comunidade Wikimedia no Brasil is a Brazilian non-profit association affiliated to the Wikimedia Foundation. Founded in 2013, WMB seeks, among other goals: to amplify, improve and diversify the content and community among Wikimedia projects, especially Wikipedia; and support the role of social organizations in the open knowledge ecosystem.
|Grupo de Usuários|
Wiki Movimento Brasil
former Grupo de Usuários da Comunidade Wikimedia no Brasil
Location of Brazil (green) in
South America (grey)
|Legal status||Non-profit org|
|Founding date||October 19, 2013|
|Approval date||December 25, 2013|
May 24, 2019 (re-recognition)
|Derecognition date||March 26, 2018 (re-recognized in May 2019)|
|Official language(s)||Brazilian Portuguese|
Who we areEdit
Wiki Movimento Brasil emerged from some community organization experiments dating to 2005 and 2006. Those strictly volunteer and informal experiments aimed to organize groups of editors and outreach the Wikimedia projects in Brazil.
The Grupo de Usuários Wikimedia no Brasil, whose trade name is “Wiki Movimento Brasil”, was recognised officially by the Wikimedia Foundation in 2013.
Six founding members came together in 2016 to elaborate the first strategy for Wiki Movimento Brasil. In the following year, the association had its statutes registered in a notary’s office and established a professional structure.
Although it was derecognized by the Wikimedia Foundation in 2018, Wiki Movimento Brasil did not interrupt its activities and was recognized by the Foundation again in 2019. It consolidated its professional team in the following year and increased the number of associate members.At the time of group-wide writing of this multi-year strategy in 2022, Wiki Movimento Brasil has 32 associate members and is a key component of the Wikimedia Movement.
To be a Brazilian Wikimedian agent of activation, coordination and social transformation for open knowledge.
To consolidate the equity, reliability and safety of the sociotechnical infrastructure of the open internet.
To act on the activation, coordination and social transformation for open knowledge.
The pillars that guide Wiki Movimento Brasil are:
- Collaboration & Sharing;
- Diversity & Decoloniality;
- Interconnection & Partnerships;
- Social relevance;
- Learning; and
- Reception & Belonging.
Grupo de usuários Wiki Movimento BrasilEdit
The Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil was derecognised in May 26th of 2018. After that, the group has been renamed Grupo de usuários Wiki Movimento Brasil (Wiki Movement Brazil User Group, in English) due to Wikimedia trademark rules; The logo was changed for the same reason. This page mentions both names for historical reasons (the former in events and reports before the derecognition and the new one after that) and we do not claim any right on the names used before the derecognition.
- Build partnerships with cultural and educational institutions and similar organizations, ensure sustainable performance in Wikimedia projects, developing and promoting a continuous network for open knowledge in Brazil;
- Carry out activities and programs to consolidate and diversify the volunteer Wikimedia community in an open knowledge ecosystem, promoting sustainable programs in the community, especially for the effective and safe participation of underrepresented groups and knowledge;
- Organize activities and events within the Lusophone community to communicate and discuss the strategic processes of the Wikimedia Movement;
- Support initiatives to improve content of Wikimedia projects, with special attention to solving knowledge gaps and take action on topics of impact, continuously promoting campaigns against misinformation and the promotion of democracy, citizenship and human and climate rights;
- Develop innovative solutions, both in processes and in products and technologies of the open knowledge ecosystem, for effective action in Wikimedia projects and to foster a culture of open development and collaborative innovation, prioritizing South-South initiatives;
- Promote decoloniality in the global ecosystem of the Wikimedia Movement;
- Document learning and processes to facilitate the reproduction of initiatives by similar organizations that work in favor of open knowledge;
- Foster an organizational culture of well-being, reflection and acceptance, continuously developing internal capacities, in addition to acting in accordance with the Diversity Plan, the collaborative practices of the Management Methodology and the Good Governance Codex regulations; and
- To act within the international and thematic integration in the Wikimedia Movement, in tune with the context and the Brazilian wikimedian agency.
The WMB Strategy establishes five strategic axes, with their respective intentions:
- (Re)imagine the sociotechnical infrastructure of the Wikimedia Movement
Lead processes and develop products and technologies via an autonomous South-South manner.
- Coordinate the Brazilian Wikimedia agencies
To contextualize autonomous Brazilian protagonisms in networks, participatory governance and safe spaces.
- Foster and diversify partnerships for open knowledge in Brazil
To weave sustainable networks of cooperation and dissemination between peers of open knowledge and Brazilian Wikimedia agencies.
- Promote knowledge equity
To critically recognize the absences and activate the blossoming of marginalized communities and knowledge with fair and safe methodologies.
- Deepen and direct networks of governance within the Wikimedia Movement
To coordinate strategic processes of the Lusophone community, partner affiliates and emerging political structures in the Wikimedia Movement.
The complete document is available in Brazilian Portuguese, English, French and Spanish here.
Reports of activitiesEdit
Since 2014, Wiki Movimento Brasil organizes annual activity reports and shares them with the community:
- Official website
- firstname.lastname@example.org (mailing list)
- Slack channel
- Newsletter with group's activities - updated roughly every month.
- Contact person
- Code of Conduct (em português: Código de conduta)
- Friendly Space Policy (em português: Política de espaço amigável)
- Diversity Plan (em português: Plano de diversidade)
- Internal Rules of Procedure (em português: Regimento Interno de Governança Geral
- Good Governance Kodex (em português: Regimento Interno de Boa Governança
- Members List
- Ixocactus (talk) 22:41, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
- EricaAzzellini (talk) 22:49, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
- Ederporto (talk) 22:50, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
- —Teles «Talk to me ˱C L @ S˲» 22:58, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
- Tetizeraz (talk) 00:18, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- --- Darwin Ahoy! 00:24, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- Chico Venancio (talk) 00:52, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- —Thanks for the fish! talk•contribs 02:13, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- GiFontenelle (talk) 06:04, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- --Geisasantos (talk) 14:24, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- Sturm (talk) 17:56, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- Mike Peel (talk) 18:00, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- Joalpe (talk) 18:02, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- --Tom (talk) 19:48, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- --HTPF (talk) 16:20, 13 April 2019 (UTC)
- Vinicius Siqueira (talk) 18:00, 13 April 2019 (UTC)
- Victor Lopes (talk) 20:13, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Friduxa (talk) 17:55, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
- ━ ALBERTOLEONCIO Who, me? 18:15, 5 December 2020 (UTC)
- RadiX∞ 18:16, 5 December 2020 (UTC)
- TiagoLubiana (talk) 18:16, 5 December 2020 (UTC)
- Prburley (talk)
- TMorata (talk)
- Lgjunior (talk)
- BahYajé e Y4guarEtã (talk) 19:56, 19 November 2021 (UTC)
- Jani Pereira (talk) 20:15, 19 November 2021 (UTC)
- HedestaD 21:53, 19 November 2021 (UTC)
- Myxomatosis0 (talk) 21:01, 23 November 2021 (UTC)
- ArgonSim (talk) 15:52, 27 November 2021 (UTC)
- ErikaGuetti (talk) 15:01, 5 August 2022 (UTC)
The list below is more of historical than of practical interest. It mostly brings the original endorsements to the idea of a user-group creation in 2013; some of the users have disengaged with the movement.
- Jonas (discussão) 18h58min de 14 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Vinicius Siqueira 19h16min de 14 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Teles «Talk to me˱M @ C S˲» 20h27min de 14 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Sturm (discussão) 01h27min de 15 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Millennium bug (discussão) 03h30min de 15 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Raylton P. Sousa (discussão) 00h31min de 16 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Lechatjaune (discussão) 22h45min de 17 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Titoncio (discussão) 23h41min de 17 de outubro de 2013 (UTC) Espero poder ajudar
- Everton137 (discussão) 04h09min de 18 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- JMGM (discussão) 01h36min de 20 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- MetalBrasil (discussão) 14h36min de 20 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Danilo.mac (discussão) 17h23min de 21 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- The Photographer (discussão) 17h22min de 23 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Ozymandias (discussão) 17h35min de 23 de outubro de 2013 (UTC)
- Vitor Mazuco Msg 15:01, 22 January 2014 (UTC)
- CasteloBrancomsg 19:22, 9 May 2014 (UTC)
- Victor Lopes (talk) 21:59, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
- Chico Venancio (talk) 21:21, 29 April 2016 (UTC)
- Ixocactus (talk) 01:22, 30 April 2016 (UTC)
- Joalpe (talk) 18:25, 8 May 2016 (UTC)
- Horadrim~usurped (talk) 02:14, 20 September 2016 (UTC)
- Jo Lorib (talk) 20:37, 28 September 2016 (UTC)
- Giro720 (talk) 00:16, 29 September 2016 (UTC)
- Eamaral (talk) 03:29, 10 October 2016 (UTC)
- Mariliacarrera (talk) 18:34, 17 October 2016 (UTC)
- Ederporto (talk) 19:39, 11 January 2017 (UTC)
- Tetizeraz (talk) 15:00, 3 July 2017 (UTC)
- Lucas.Belo (talk) 17:33, 8 August 2017 (UTC)
- Wilkruvic (talk) 18:48, 28 August 2017 (UTC)
- NMaia (talk) 11:21, 1 November 2017 (UTC)
- Friduxa (talk) 01:16, 15 November 2017 (UTC)
- TamiresAnsanelo (talk) 18:48, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
- BMNeuroMat (talk) 18:49, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
- HTPF (talk)
- GiFontenelle (talk) 18:34, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
- EricaAzzellini (talk) 18:36, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
- --Geisasantos (talk) 14:26, 12 April 2019 (UTC)
- Moral support.--Alexmar983 (talk) 21:58, 29 May 2019 (UTC)
- Recognition of Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil – December 2013
- Renewal of Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil - February 2015
- Renewal Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil - July 2016
- De-recognition of Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil - May 2018
- Grupo de Usuários Wiki Movimento Brasil" - re-recognition (valid for 1 year), May 2019
- "Recognition of Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil by the Affiliations Committee". Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Recognition of Grupo de Usuários Wiki Movimento Brasil". Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "De-recognition of Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil by the Affiliations Committee". Retrieved 14 February 2019.