The Affiliations Committee advises and makes recommendations regarding the recognition and existence of Wikimedia movement affiliates.
- 2022-08-03 The Tyap Wikimedians Proposed User Group was recognized as a Wikimedia affiliated usergroup.
- 2022-07-11 AffCom published their standing on hubs and the role the Commitee can take in developing these new Wikimedia structures.
- 2022-07-08 The Women in Religion User Group was recognized as a Wikimedia affiliated usergroup.
- 2022-04-09 Joy Agyepong and Benoît Prieur have been appointed to the Affiliations Committee as new members. In addition, incumbent member Mehman Ibragimov has been re-appointed for an additional term.
- 2022-01-14 The Affiliations Committee has officially appointed Camelia Boban as Chair, Jeffrey Keefer as Vice-Chair, Houcemeddine Turki as Secretary, and Suyash Dwivedi as Treasurer, for a one-year term.
- 2021-12-19 The AffCom is seeking new members and advisors! Applications are accepted from January 1 to January 31. Also, everyone can share endorsement and comments for prospective members and advisors.
- 2021-11-08 Paiwan Wikimedians User Group has been recognized as a user group for a one-year renewable period.
The Affiliations Committee (formerly known as Chapters Committee, colloquially AffCom) is a Wikimedia community-run committee entrusted with advising the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on the approval of new movement affiliates: national and subnational chapters, thematic organisations, and user groups.
The Committee was created on January 15, 2006, by a resolution of the Board of Trustees, along with several other Wikimedia committees. Its original mandate included coordination of the development of Wikimedia chapters—which at the time were at an early stage of organisation—, as well as facilitating communication among the chapters and between chapters and the Wikimedia Foundation.
In 2012, following a community discussion and a resulting Board of Trustees' resolution, the scope of the Committee was expanded to include thematic organisations and user groups. In accordance with the resolution, the Committee drafted its charter which was officially approved by the Board in August, finalizing the transition into the Affiliations Committee.
The Affiliations Committee makes recommendations to the Board of Trustees on the recognition, approval and existence of Wikimedia movement affiliates, and for facilitating the creation of those organisations. In other words, the Committee helps Wikimedians from all around the world self-organise into chapters, thematic organisations and user groups, and to gain official recognition from the Wikimedia Foundation.
We can guide you through the founding process of your organisation by helping you to prepare bylaws, answering questions about what the Foundation expects from an affiliate, providing help and advice on solving common technical, trademark, administrative and community-building issues, and—if appropriate—by approving limited financial support for starting up your activities (such as covering the costs of registration and running initial projects).
If you're interested in getting in touch with local efforts in your area, feel free to contact us using any of the methods listed below, and we'll be happy to put you in contact with the right people.
The Affiliates Committee comprises volunteers selected for their enthusiasm and their skills in community organising, cross-cultural communication, reviewing bylaws, and providing governance advice for emerging organisations. There are currently ten voting members with terms of two years each; the terms are arranged so that half of the seats are up for election every year.
Voting members of the Committee are helped by an unspecified number of non-voting advisers, either appointed by the Board of Trustees (known as Board liaisons) or by the Committee itself. Advisers provide the Committee with on-the-ground experience, language skills, and governance advice, and are able to take part in discussions on an internal wiki and a non-public mailing list.
Certain Wikimedia Foundation staff members are also actively present on the Affiliations Committee's non-public mailing list and internal wiki acting as liaisons and providing insight and advice when needed. They are not formal members of the committee, and are present at the request of the Wikimedia Foundation and with permission from voting members of the committee.
If you'd like to be a voting member of the Committee, please leave a note on the talk page, and you'll be notified when seats become available. The next selection is scheduled for the mid of 2021, with new members joining the Committee in July, 2021. New members and advisers may be added by the end of 2021, as well.
|№||Photo||Name||Languages||Location (time zone)||Term ends||Role|
|1||Jeffrey Keefer||en-N, fr-2||United States, North America (UTC-4/UTC-5)||December 31, 2023||Vice-Chair|
|2||Mehman Ibragimov||ka-N, ru-N, tr-N, az-N, en-3||Georgia, Eastern Europe (UTC+4)||December 31, 2023||Secretary|
|3||Suyash Dwivedi||hi-N, en-3, sa-2||India, South Asia (UTC+05:30)||December 31, 2023||Treasurer|
|4||Başak Tosun||tr-N, en-5||Turkey, Eastern Europe (UTC+3)||December 31, 2023|
|5||Joy N. Y Agyepong||en-N, tw-N, ak-N||Ghana, Africa||December 31, 2023|
|6||Wojciech Pędzich||pl-N, en-4||Poland, Europe (UTC+1)||December 31, 2023|
|7||Benoît Prieur||fr-N||France, Europe (UTC+1)||December 31, 2023|
Able to access the committee's non-public mailing list.
|ਸਲਾਹਕਾਰ||Languages||Location (time zone)||Term end||Notes|
|Maor Malul||es, en-5, lad-4, pt-4, de-3, he-3, ca-3, af-2, guc-2, tr-2||Israel, Western Asia (UTC+2)||December 31, 2022|
|Mardetanha||az-N, fa-N, en-3, tr-2||Iran, Western Asia (UTC+3.30)||June 30, 2023|
|Houcemeddine Turki||aeb-N, ar-4, fr-4, en-3||Tunisia, North Africa (UTC+1)||June 30, 2023|
|Aleksey Chalabyan||hy-N, en||Armenia, Eastern Europe (UTC+$)||December 31, 2023|
|Liaison||Languages||Location (time zone)||Term end||Notes|
|Shani Evenstein Sigalov||Israel, Western Asia (UTC+2)||—|
|№||Photo||Name||Languages||Location (time zone)||Role|
|1||Dumisani Ndubane||ts-N, en-4||South Africa (UTC+2)|
|2||Manavpreet Kaur||pa-N, en-4, hi-3, fr-2||Punjab, India, Asia (UTC+5:30)|
|3||Nahid Sultan||bn-N, en-3, bpy-1.05, hif-1, as-1||Bangladesh, South Asia (UTC +6)||Trust & Safety|
|4||Charles Roslof||United States, North America (UTC-8/UTC-7)||Legal|
|5||Stephen LaPorte||United States, North America (UTC-8/UTC-7)||Legal|
- The best way to contact the Committee is to write an e-mail to affcom lists.wikimedia.org; please note that the Committee might be sometimes slow in responding to e-mails, so if you don't receive a reply to your message in a reasonable time, just send us a reminder.
- You can also contact the members of the Committee individually by clicking on their usernames in the timeline above; feel free to use our talk pages and e-mails for any questions related to chapters, thematical organisations or user groups.