Talk:Wikipedia Asian Month 2018
- 1 Romanian Wikipedia
- 2 Unwanted banner
- 3 Czech Wikipedia
- 4 Asian month competition
- 5 WAM 2018, Sindhi Wikipedia
- 6 WAM 2018, Bashkir Wikipedia
- 7 Indonesian Wikipedia
- 8 Regarding category of article created during WAM 2018
- 9 Asian Month participants
- 10 Semi-protected edit request on 28 November 2018
- 11 Request For Article Creation on Chinese Wikipedia
- 12 Tool Crash
- 13 Wikipedia Cultural Diversity Observatory: Phase 2 Monitoring the Culture Gap
- 14 Extended to Dec: Wikipedia Asian Art Month with Metropolitan Museum of Art
- 15 Jury issue
- 16 Collecting addresses
- 17 Receive PDF WAM postcard 2018
- 18 Thanks for your patience!
- 19 Postcard received
- 20 No Postcard Yet!
- 21 Still waiting for postcards
- 22 Maintenance page move
I am Dharmaraj Dhital, sutdent if St Xavier's college, maitighar Katmandu and want to share few word: I want to conduct the research proposal writing event at St.xavier's college ,maitighar, Katmandu,Nepal...if you give me support I will make the event success and want to extend the previous plan...I am a young,eager, energetic individual who believes in the exposing the best talent in international platform...if u think I am caapble and want to know more about my plan please mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org...thank you .. Dharmaraj Dhital (talk) 02:22, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
Can the banner be hidden for rowiki? We already have an invitation in the sitenotice, and the link is to the Romanian page (as opposed to the banner, which takes you to meta). Gikü (talk) 17:19, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
- @Gikü:U can ask -revi for help regarding target page on rowiki. --Tiven2240 (talk) 08:58, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
I donated to Wikipedia multiple times, because I think you are doing good work and I support your stance where you don't want advertisements. I am assuming you don't want these advertisements so that you can remain independent and I get that, but personally I just want clean pages without clutter. In my mind, a banner 'advertising' some 'Asian Month' (wat?) is advertising, just like a TV channel advertising it's own shows is still a commercial break. Please refrain from these banners. I get that you put them up a couple of times a year to collect donations but frankly I think that should be all you do. Please don't start bannering everything like this. It is a slippery slope. If I am interested in 'Asian Month', I will Google 'Asian Month' and will presumably find this anyway. If I search for something completely different I want to read about something completely different and the banner for 'Asian Month' is just distracting me.
BTW, when will it be 'European Month'? Do all continents get a month? And isn't that a bit unfair when Australia has only 30 million or so inhabitants whereas e.g. Asia has 2B+? Shouldn't Asia get like an 'Asian Decade' and Australia only an 'Australian Day'? Isn't all this just a bunch of hogwash political BS anyway which should not be on a site like Wikipedia? I guess politics are ok if you agree with it?
@Patriccck:, @OJJ: - could you add the Wikipedia Asian Month project page of Czech Wikipedia to this list? The link seems to be pointing null page currently. Thanks in advance. --Takot (talk) 00:57, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
- Fixed --Patriccck (talk) 06:59, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
Asian month competitionEdit
I want to conduct the research proposal writing event at St.xavier's college ,maitighar, Katmandu,Nepal...mif you give me support I will make the event success and want to extend the previous plan...I am a young,eager, energetic individual who believes in the exposing the best talent in international platform...if u think I am caapble and want to know more about my plan please mail me at email@example.com...thank you .. Dharmaraj Dhital (talk) 02:19, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
I am keen interested to join. I am Ashish Kumar from India. I am studying in GNDEC LUDHIANA. I want to join later so please more information about it. Thanks and regards... Ashishkumargndec9 (talk) 16:29, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
WAM 2018, Sindhi WikipediaEdit
Hi everyone, I am the senior Sindhi Wikimedian and Admin at Sindhi Wikipedia, I have organised WAM 2015, 2016, 2017 and now organizing WAM 2018 as well, I know all the rules and have an extensive experience of WAM organizing on Sdwiki. I did updated the rules on our local wiki for WAM 2018, I was WAM 2018 jury member and didn't accepted the article of two users who had not followed the WAM2018 rules, and one of the user Arslanali misguided Ле Лой about me that I am not active and he insisted him to remove me from the jury membership, I have left a message at THIS DISCUSSION and [THIS REVISION Arsalanali did removed my name] from the organisers is it allowed to do by any inexperienced user to remove the signature? how we can assign a jury membership to an inexperienced user having no knowledge of WAM rules? , I request not to make any other user a WAM Jury member or WAM Organiser besides me because they don't have prior experience and don't have proper knowledge of WAM rules. I request to make me jury member again and WAM organiser as well, So I can organise it well as per WAM rules. Thanks.JogiAsad (talk) 21:52, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- @JogiAsad:, I know WAM rules better than you!, why you created 2017 WAM on Urdu last year, if you know the rules? Being jury member you should be active. .
- دوسری بات آپ سندھی ویکیپیڈیا کے بانی نہیں ہیں سب کو یکساں حقوق حاصل ہیں۔ شکریہ
- — Bukhari (Talk!) 06:26, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Creating a WAM page in Urdu wiki is forbidden? and that is last year's page in which everyone should have participated, and i am active on Sdwiki and have judged the WAM articles on sdwiki as well, so how I am not active. Sindh Wikipedia ka bani nai mgr maine kisi ko roka nhi kisi constrictive tramem se, mai tu Sindhi wiki ko 4 sal se logo mai awareness chala kr nae log lane ki koshishen krha hu, baki rahi bat sbko barabar rights hain lekin yeh jawaz bana kr k mai active nai tu mai phr active na hota tu article judge kese kraha tha, mtlb yh k mai active tha tbhi judge krha tha.JogiAsad (talk) 20:10, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- @JogiAsad: You are talking about a discussion of November 3, and sorry to say nobody including you were active at that time, that's why I said remove incentive jury member, and honestly I don't have any prediction powers so I can judge that you will come later and claim we all are inexperienced. You are still a jury member and we welcome you but not disgrace anyone, we have same rights in wiki. Arslanali (talk) 10:34, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- I was and i am active during which I judged the article updated the WAM rules as well. you created some article which were about Pakistani topics which i didn't accept as per WAM 2018 rules, If you would write as per WAM rules I would accept as per WAM rules. I am not disgracing anybody but I ask why you removed my name [Here]? you should have only added your name not to remove my name .JogiAsad (talk) 20:17, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Dear @JogiAsad:, I apologise for replying late and as of your concern I do find that without any discussion, removing someone from jury is wrong and you have been associated with the WAM for a longtime, so I am sure you're very much aware of the rules. I would request @BukhariSaeed: to not request for removing people from jury without any proper discussion. As WAM is almost about to end, I believe this discussion need not be done in Village pump but help us to follow the WAM guidelines. --Sailesh Patnaik 18:51, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
- @Saileshpat: Thanks, and I am unable to perform my Jury tasks, and When I click any article to accept or reject or comment it don't perform the tasks, as its not working for me since I have been removed from Jury membership. I request to solve this issue, So I could judge the articles as per WAM rules. JogiAsad (talk) 00:58, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
I am Dharmaraj Dhital, sutdent if St Xavier's college, maitighar Katmandu and want to share few word: I want to conduct the research proposal writing event at St.xavier's college ,maitighar, Katmandu,Nepal...if you give me support I will make the event success and want to extend the previous plan...I am a young,eager, energetic individual who believes in the exposing the best talent in international platform...if u think I am caapble and want to know more about my plan please mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org...thank you .. Dharmaraj Dhital (talk) 02:26, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
WAM 2018, Bashkir WikipediaEdit
We support and participate in the marathon since 2015. But for us the marathon imposes increased requirements. Articles of average size are accepted in other language sections. If these articles are translated into our language they will be short. We cannot register these and other articles ba:Тхить Нят Хань, ba:Чжэцзян университеты, ba:Чжуан-цзы.--ZUFAr (talk) 03:34, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- I checked 3 articles you mentioned (ba:Тхить Нят Хань, ba:Чжэцзян университеты, ba:Чжуан-цзы), and thought 3,000 Bytes criteria is reasonable. If you think 300 words criteria does not fit to your language, you can ask to set that language's own words/characters criteria. For example, Japanese Wikipedia has 1,000 characters criteria (instead of 300 words). --Takot (talk) 14:55, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
Regarding category of article created during WAM 2018Edit
I have noticed that this year fountain tool does not add any category in the page created during WAM 2018. So in this case, we have add the category like "article created during WAM 2018" manually or leave it without category regarding WAM 2018. Please help. nShrestha (talk) 03:02, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
- Fountain tool is not designed to do so. It is a judging tool, not a mighty tool one-fit-all. —Takot (talk) 03:33, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
I am Dharmaraj Dhital, student of St Xavier's college, maitighar Katmandu and want to share few word: I want to conduct the research proposal writing event at St.xavier's college ,maitighar, Katmandu,Nepal...if you give me support I will make the event success and want to extend the previous plan...I am a young,eager, energetic individual who believes in the exposing the best talent in international platform...if u think I am caapble and want to know more about my plan please mail me at email@example.com...thank you .. Dharmaraj Dhital (talk) 02:25, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
Asian Month participantsEdit
Hello. I am one of the Asian Month coordinators on Simple English Wikipedia, with User:Hiàn. We had an unregistered user sign up to participate. Is that allowed? I'd have no concern if all articles from an IP address were from one person, but they can be from different people so it might not be possible to tell if there were four articles from the same person. --Auntof6 (talk) 18:39, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
Semi-protected edit request on 28 November 2018Edit
|This edit request has been answered. Set the |
Request For Article Creation on Chinese WikipediaEdit
Hi,@Theodore Xu and Richard923888: I hereby request organiser of WAM 2018 on China Wikipedia to kindly create article about Suhai Aziz Talpur in Chinese Wikipedia under WAM 2018, she recently thwarted the terrorist attack on Chinese Consulate in Karachi. JogiAsad (talk) 13:46, 29 November 2018 (UTC)
The tool crash is a usual problem for all the WAM. Still we don't have a solution. We are doing adding manually. Then correcting etc. As an organizer in my community I want to answer to lot of people. I am not happy with this. --Ranjithsiji (talk) 14:09, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
- @Ranjithsiji: we are extremely sorry for the inconveniences caused due to technical errors and am sure that the tool of mlwiki is functioning properly. We have even extended dates for users to add articles. Participants have more 3 days to add articles made under this event to the tool. Thanks --Tiven2240 (talk) 16:21, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
Wikipedia Cultural Diversity Observatory: Phase 2 Monitoring the Culture GapEdit
I am writing to tell you that the project Wikipedia Cultural Diversity Observatory (WCDO) has presented a plan for a second phase to extend the project and provide tools based on the data collectede. This project might be useful for future editions of the Asian Month. As a reminder, the WCDO aims at providing valuable strategic data in order to fight for more cultural diversity in each Wikipedia language edition. In the previous phase, we collected the Cultural Context Content (CCC) datasets for all 300 language editions and provided some top priority articles for different topics such as women-men, geolocated, among others (named Top CCC articles). The infrastructure for the project has been set (datasets and website). In this new phase, we plan to create many more tools and visualizations: Top CCC article lists based on community member suggestions, but most importantly, to create a tool to monitor the gaps on a monthly basis and serve it as a newsletter. This way editors are able to constantly see the efforts dedicated to create geolocated articles or cultural context content more in general related to other language editions. Also, we plan to research on marginalized languages in order to see which have more potential to become a new Wikipedia language edition, start creating content about their cultural context ("decolonizing the Internet"), and increase the overall cultural diversity of the project. Most of the project efforts are dedicated to data-compiling and analysis. However, there is a lot of work to do in disseminating the results and tools so they can create more impact in helping local events such as contests. If you think you can join the project, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you consider this may be helpful, please help us, provide some feedback and endorse the project. You take a look at the project plan here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/WCDO/Culture_Gap_Monthly_Monitoring Thanks in advance for your time. All the feedback is welcome. Best, --Marcmiquel (talk) 13:04, 4 December 2018 (UTC)
Extended to Dec: Wikipedia Asian Art Month with Metropolitan Museum of ArtEdit
I'd like to invite you to join Wikipedia Asian Art Month in the December extension of the sub-contest; if you write or translate just one article and include one of our images, you'll get a special Metropolitan Museum of Art postcard. And if you're one of the grand prize winners, you'll get a Met guidebook or Asian art publication.--Pharos (talk) 15:36, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
Marathi Wikipedia editor @Shrinivaskulkarni1388: has made a total of 11 articles this year under Wikipedia Asian month 2018. The second juror besides me has not accepted his 2 articles named mr:२००३ नोम पेन्ह दंगली and mr:सिंगापूरची संस्कृती citing resons when asked on his talkpage that the editor improved articles after 1st December 2018. As per guidelined messaged received on my talk. An editor has time till 10 December to improve contribution. After even pointing message to the juror the juror is not changing it's votes thereby blaming the Asian month team that they didn't sent him guidelines. As well has been remarking that the guidelines must be made visible on project page for the community to know and thereby he says that the rules won't be enforced on Marathi Wikipedia.
- There was no even information/permission taken by the local organiser/jury whether to add this juror to the jury. @Ле Лой: had to follow standard procedures which was followed everytime a new person is added to jury, were even not addressed.
- It's a force and harsh unfair remark made that the guidelines sent by @Saileshpat: won't be enforced on the Marathi language Wikipedia.
- lastly due to this the Ambassador announcement is delayed on the project.
Thereby requesting Team Wikipedia Asian Month to have a look on this and find out a concrete solution on this issue. It Can a uninvolved active administrator can verify the eligibility of the article but it's only possible when there is clear indication of the guidelines.
- @Tiven2240:, Hi Tiven, Thanks for raising this issue, I went through the things you have raised and found that there are some mistakes from our side. As I can see the message sent to all organizers didn't reach Subodh's talk page as he was not added to Organisers list for the mass message, I believe as an experienced organizer and being part of WAM for quite some time we should assume good faith on our fellow jurors. Also, you have posted on his talk page on 10th December, which passed the date to judge the articles, sorry to say, but in that situation, it is difficult to accept the articles if the other juror has no information on the rule change.
- Answering your other queries, Subodh had posted in Le Loi's talk page from 15th November and was finally made juror after 25th November, If the process was wrong you should have opposed him over there or have brought the discussion onto your local Wiki. Also, I don't see any unfair remark on the guidelines, the local community can always add new rules and guidelines to WAM including the global guidelines. I believe the Wikipedian who currently has the highest score on fountain tool should be announced as an Ambassador, and I apologize Srinivas for this issue and wish him to be active on Marathi Wikipedia and engage again in the next WAM. Pinging @SuperHamster, Sky Harbor, and Exec8: for their opinions. --Sailesh Patnaik 05:07, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
@Saileshpat:, Marathi community requested admin @V.narsikar: to give the final decision. Admin is looking into matter and yet to give his opinion. Meanwhile you declared the ambassadors for Marathi Wikipedia. This decision is opposite to your decision above. I think, this is unfair to force this decision. Already due to your mistakes participants are disturbed. Tiven2240 has not apologised for this once. If all the participants were given chance to improve their articles, the result could have been different altogether. This point you have not taken into account. So, this in injustice for other participants. I respect all the contributions without any bias. Therefore, I request you to honor the community's decision and admin and wait for his opinion. Please review your decision.--सुबोध कुलकर्णी (talk) 03:12, 20 December 2018 (UTC)
Hi, what is the current plan for collecting addresses? The first wave should have been on December 15th. If it wasn't started, then when will it be? I just want to know what to tell others --Ата (talk) 06:21, 19 December 2018 (UTC)
Receive PDF WAM postcard 2018Edit
I had contact Saileshpat and ask him can I receive my postcard 2018 early by receive by email the PDF postcard WAM 2018 beacause some reasons. But nearly one week had past and he not reply, so I notice here to ask the organigers to help me receive the PDF WAM postcard 2018 through my email, which had fill in the WAM 2018 form. Thanks you all.--ThiênĐế98 (talk) 14:03, 6 February 2019 (UTC)
- Hi @ThiênĐế98:, We would definitely look into that. Sorry I might have missed your email. --Sailesh Patnaik 18:46, 20 February 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for your patience!Edit
Hey everyone, Thank you very much for participating in WAM 2018 so actively! We appreciate your effort and we are looking forward to send you the postcards ASAP. This year you will receive postcards from Taiwan, Hong Kong, India and Japan. We will also reach out to other affiliates.
But after analysing the address collection form, we found that a near about 100 users are missing (who have created 4+ articles). We will call for address collection again, but in the meantime, we will send the first batch of postcard via the other affiliates. Thanks again for your patience and we're looking forward to you to participate in WAM 2019! --Sailesh Patnaik 18:50, 20 February 2019 (UTC)
I've now received my postcard. Thanks to everyone involved in sending them. Mine was from Taiwan. I guess that means I should create at least one article about Taiwan for Asian Month 2019 ... Bahnfrend (talk) 03:25, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
- Congratulations! I'm live in Vietnam and our community complaint and disappointed about about why they haven't received WAM postcard, also WAM 2017's postcard!  Hope we will receive it soon. P/S: Hi Saileshpat, can I receive the PDF postcard before the hard-copy postcard sent to me if I send email by using "send email to the user" to your account :D? Hope your response soon!--ThiênĐế98 (talk) 16:04, 29 March 2019 (UTC)
Another person still not received their postcardEdit
User Militant Bishop just informed me that they still haven't received a WAM postcard. I've emailed Saileshpat on 29 March but hadn't heard back. Any chance the postcard will reach Militant Bishop some time this year? Le Loy 04:13, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- Hi @ThiênĐế98, Qolcomaq, and Militant Bishop: could you please email me your address so I can send a PDF copy of your postcard from India and also send a postcard to your physical address. Hi @Ле Лой: apologies for not responding, I took break from volunteer contribution due to some professional commitments. --Sailesh Patnaik 19:22, 30 June 2019 (UTC)
No Postcard Yet!Edit
- Hello! I'm among those that haven't received their postcards yet.The Living love (talk) 12
- 58, 18 June 2019 (UTC)
- Hi @The Living love: we have shared the postal address of our volunteers with other affiliates long back. Sorry to hear that you haven't received your postcard. Please use email this user option and share your email address with me so that I can send you a digital one --Sailesh Patnaik 19:24, 30 June 2019 (UTC)
- Hi @The Living love:, I was the one who sent a postcard to you, if I remember correctly. Let me send via email instead. --Takot (talk) 07:50, 18 July 2019 (UTC)
Still waiting for postcardsEdit
I'm still waiting too. Does it mean that there is basically no hope to get them? Then can I get PDF postcard and Ambassadors'digital certificate by email instead? Thank you.Tokomai (talk) 17:17, 30 June 2019 (UTC)
- Hi @Tokomai: we have shared the postal address of our volunteers with other affiliates long back. Sorry to hear that you haven't received your postcard. Please use email this user option and share your email address with me so that I can send you a digital one --Sailesh Patnaik 19:25, 30 June 2019 (UTC)