每天都有数以千计的维基百科页面被建立，这需要数百名志愿者编辑去检查这些页面的质量。为了使他们的工作变得更容易，编辑者关怀团队研发了"页面编纂" 功能。这个功能包括两个工具， 新页面源， New Pages Feed,，一个注释有对编辑有帮助的信息的新页面预览,。 编纂工具栏，Curation Toolbar，会出现在一个新页面的旁边，提供自动确认的编辑们所需的各种行动一个更便捷的渠道，如将页面标记为以阅，标记质量问题，或是提出删除建议。
Over the last half year, a new model has been established for distributing the donation money raised via Wikimedia project sites. More than $10 million of it will now be allocated based on the recommendations of the new Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC), which consists entirely of volunteers.
Following a public nomination process, the seven voting members of the first FDC have been announced: Arjuna Rao Chavala (India), Dariusz Jemielniak (Poland), Ali Haidar Khan (Bangladesh), Mike Peel (United Kingdom), Yuri Perohanych (Ukraine), Sydney Poore (United States), and Anders Wennersten (Sweden). They are joined by Jan-Bart de Vreede (Netherlands) and Patricio Lorente (Argentina) as non-voting representatives of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Susana Moraes (Portugal) was appointed as ombudsperson for the FDC process.
The FDC is now reviewing funding requests by 12 organizations, which are open for public comment until October 22.
The Wikimedia Foundation has agreed to host a new travel project site at the request of the Wikimedia community. Unfortunately, on August 29, 2012, Internet Brands, the owner of the Wikitravel website, sued two Wikitravel volunteers, alleging various legal claims. In response, one of the volunteers filed an anti-SLAPP motion, arguing that Internet Brands’s lawsuit sought to suppress his right to discuss the new Wikimedia travel project. The Wikimedia Foundation has also filed a suit against Internet Brands, claiming that it has no right to impede the creation of the new travel project.
Global unique visitors for August:
- 456.25 million (+0.98% compared with July; +7.92% compared with the previous year)
- (comScore data for all Wikimedia Foundation projects; comScore will release September data later in October)
Page requests for September:
- 19.1 billion (+5.3% compared with August; +20.9% compared with the previous year)
- (Server log data, all Wikimedia Foundation projects including mobile access)
Active Registered Editors for August 2012 (>= 5 mainspace edits/month, excluding bots):
- 79,572 (-0.74% compared with July / -0.81% compared with the previous year)
- (Database data, all Wikimedia Foundation projects. Note: We recently refined this metric to take into account Wikimedia Commons and activity across several projects.)
Report Card (integrating various statistical data and trends about WMF projects) for August 2012:
(Financial information is only available for August 2012 at the time of this report.)
All financial information presented is for the period July 1, 2012 - August 31, 2012.
|Global Development Group||$1,110,627|
- Revenue for the month of August is $1.4MM vs plan of $465K, approximately $946K or 203% over plan, primarily due to the $1.0MM received from the Sloan Foundation.
- Year-to-date revenue is $1.8MM vs plan of $1.9MM, approximately $0.1MM or 9% under plan.
- Expenses for the month of August is $2.6MM vs plan of $2.7MM, approximately $0.1MM or 3% under plan, primarily due personnel expenses, internet hosting expenses, travel expenses, capital expenses, and legal expenses partially offset by a grant for the India catalyst program and higher recruiting expenses.
- Year-to-date expenses is $5.2MM vs plan of $5.9MM, approximately $0.7MM or 12% under plan, primarily due to personnel expenses, internet hosting, travel expenses, capital expenses, legal expenses.
- Cash position is $21.8MM as of August 31, 2012 which is approximately 6.2 months of expenses.
Other movement highlights
Worldwide Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest with record participation
More than 15,000 people uploaded more than 350,000 images throughout September for Wiki Loves Monuments 2012, the contest focused on free photos of national monuments. The number of photos more than doubled from the 2011 event, which has been officially certified as the largest photo contest in the world by Guinness World Records. The national winning entries have since been announced for the US and other countries, and the worldwide top 12 will be announced in early December.
Conflict of interest discussions
During September, the "wiki-town" projects Monmouthpedia and Gibraltarpedia generated discussion about whether a Wikimedia UK trustee had led them in a way that blurred his roles as a Wikimedia chapter trustee, a paid consultant for the projects’ government partners, and an editor of the English Wikipedia. Wikimedia UK and the Wikimedia Foundation have since jointly appointed an independent expert advisor to review both Wikimedia UK’s governance arrangements and the conflicts of interest related to these projects.
First EduWiki Conference
The University of Leicester, England, saw the first EduWiki Conference, bringing together academics from three continents and Wikimedians to talk about the Wikipedia Education Program and other ways of collaboration. The two-day conference was organized by Wikimedia UK.