What is Template:h:i? AnyFile 17:56, 24 Apr 2005 (UTC)

It was an idea i had, but i think it might actually better be deleted. --TheDJ 21:54, 24 Apr 2005 (UTC)

langs in h:f


Please do not remove langs from h:f . I have seen you removet it in Aiuto:Sommario. Please follew the procedure I am going to propose in Help talk:Help page footer templates AnyFile 13:08, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)

removal of langs parameter


I have check every page I found and I have not found any pages that use the langs parameter in the template h:f. I will going to remove it from template:h:f. If you belive that there are pages that need it and they will be damnaged, tell me. Consider that this not regards page with empty langs parameter like {{h:f|lang=|enname=xxx}}. Consider also that there is no need to remove the empty langs parameter from the help pages. After this change is made there would no more need to insert line as above (but they will still work) but it will enought to insert line as {{h:f|enname=xxx}}. The only problems that can arise is if there are some page that use a non-empty langs parameter to template:h:f. AnyFile 20:49, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Lang name


I have seen you have started inserting Lang name tmepalte to give the name of the language in the help page link template.

Since an editor who create a help page is suppose to know how his/her language is spell in his/her own language., I if there is no really need for it. It make the code more complicate to manage and understand. AnyFile 15:05, 26 Apr 2005 (UTC)

I'm very pleased that you have started to use the language name templates, this means that some people think that they're useful. But maybe it's too early to begin using them because I want to make some changes to the list before it is used for "real" pages. I've to explore the alternatives deeper (but thank you for providing another possible use, the language code). To help launching the project nowadays it's better to translate the language names to your own language (currently they are a few names translated only to English and Spanish). And thank-you for your new templates and for adding more languages names! Regards --surueña 22:22, 2005 Apr 26 (UTC)
I wasn't planning on furthering the usage of the templates atm, mostly because i think the Handbook is still too much in a flux atm. But I think the Lang scripts might be useful and the reason is solely that the pure information will be more centralized maintained. The more data is duplicated over multiple pages the larger the maintenance and the error rate will become. It might look trivial, but many things have taught me over the last years that it usually isn't. This does however pose an interesting other question, and it is "How well will wiki handle very frequent recurring templates". --TheDJ 12:59, 27 Apr 2005 (UTC)
I prefer the shorter version Template:Lan. What makes the long version worse is also that you can not use newline in templates like Template:H-langs:Namespace, because they are called in a list. A newline breaks the list.--Patrick 14:26, 27 Apr 2005 (UTC)
No objections. I was just trying to keep the naming of the template easy and consistent with the already existing names. The exact implementation and possible short forms of it is not really important for me. It seems like a good idea.
To AnyFile: {{lan|ja}} is for me easier than 日本語 (ja), which I would have to look up and copy. Even without speaking a language, I may want to fix a link, e.g. to standardize if it only says "ja".--Patrick 14:34, 27 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Interlanguage templates


Please see my question at User talk:Dcljr#Lang name templates and respond there. Thanks. - dcljr 04:15, 29 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Discussion continues at Meta:Templates for translating language names. - dcljr 21:35, 29 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Mobile version


Hello TheDJ. I am a administrator of the Basque Wikipedia (eu:) and we have problems with the mobile version homepage. It says that Homepage Not Yet Configured. How can we make a homepage? Can we fix that? Regards.

Please answer me in my eu.wiki talk page.--An13sa 12:13, 6 March 2010 (UTC)Reply

Breton mobile homepage


Hey !
I'm an admin on the breton Wikipedia, and some users asked me if we could have a Mobile homepage of our Wikipedia. I found this page, but I'm not an expert on all that kind of operations. Could you help me please ? Thanks a lot. --Y-M D 20:10, 13 November 2010 (UTC)Reply

Bulgarian mobile homepage


Hello, can you help us to activate the mobile version of Bulgarian Wikipedia. Some kind of redirection must be done. Here is what we have made so far: [1] -- 17:57, 13 January 2011 (UTC) bg:User:IvankoReply

Mobile Beta testing


Hi TheDJ,

Thank you for signing up to test the experimental features we're building on the Wikimedia mobile Beta site! We just released a few new prototypes you might be interested in trying out. Please keep in mind that since the Beta is a testing ground for early stages of feature development and design, you'll definitely encounter bugs and unpolished software – your feedback will help us understand what areas we should focus on as we build these out into real features :)

To explore the Beta, visit any Wikimedia project on one of the supported devices/browsers and opt into Beta (tap on top left navigation menu > Settings > Opt in to Beta). From there, you can:

  • Log in (via the link in top left navigation menu)
  • Browse some articles and watchlist/unwatchlist them
  • Check your watchlist (via the link in top left navigation menu)
  • Edit
  • Add images to articles without any images in the lead

(Again, keep in mind that everything on Beta is highly experimental, so check to make sure that your edits/uploads went through successfully!)

Please leave any feedback you have for the mobile team on the mobile Beta talk page. Let us know if anything is especially confusing or strange, and feel free to give suggestions for improvement.

Thanks again! Maryana (WMF) (talk) 22:39, 6 December 2012 (UTC)Reply

Invitation to join the Commons mobile uploads testing week


Uploading pictures from mobile devices to Wikimedia Commons must be simple for everybody! We have fresh software and you can help testing it.



See you there? If you have any questions let me know.--Qgil (talk) 21:45, 21 February 2013 (UTC)Reply

PS: you are receiving this invitation because you signed up to Mobile projects/Beta.

Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decitions


The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.

If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on change.org.

I'm notifying you because you participated in one of several relevant discussions. -Pete F (talk) 22:22, 20 August 2014 (UTC)Reply

graph ext


Hi, thx for the comment, replied, let me know what you think. Thx! --Yurik (WMF) (talk) 04:57, 25 September 2014 (UTC)Reply

IRC office hours/Office hours 2015-03-23


Thanks for your work here. --Nemo 07:21, 24 March 2015 (UTC)Reply

Easier file description


Regarding your comment to my proposal. I am using VicuanaUploader, third most used way to upload files to Commons. I am not using uploadWizard because my browser cannot process the amount of bunches Id like to upload.--Juandev (talk) 21:00, 1 December 2016 (UTC)Reply




during the discussion of the 2016 wishlist you expressed interest in a proposal in the Miscellaneous category. Now the voting phase is nearing its end and you have not yet voted in the Miscellaneous category. Your vote may make a difference. Maybe you are interested in this proposals:

--𝔊 (Gradzeichen DiſkTalk) 18:16, 9 December 2016 (UTC)Reply

3 characters


Re phabricator:T165540#3337149, might as well make that 4 characters and have a fancy .txt instead. :) But sure, emerging practice and what not. --Nemo 22:02, 10 June 2017 (UTC)Reply

Opt-out option to disable crosswiki search results


I had a discussion with Deb Tankersley about giving opt-out option (disabling the crosswiki search results) via user preference setup to other wikis. I was told that the Phabricator is not the best way but that asking communities of other individual wikis for a consensus (or something) seems to be the safer way. If consensus is needed, should the opt-out option be discussed locally or at Meta RFC? According to en:Special:GadgetUsage, 34 users have chosen to hide those results. --George Ho (talk) 07:42, 26 July 2017 (UTC)Reply

I note that we have gadgets on English Wikipedia that are used by some 50000 people, and they are still gadgets. I can also say that on my list of things to do and long term worries, a specific whim of a dozen or so users is extremely low. The fact that we have gazillions of such smaller groups of whims that I need to run around and fix every single time, because we can't remember all of them is however very high.
Tech people generally want fewer preferences and so does design, so it's unlikely that Phabricator will get you anywhere on this. Besides we already have a gadget system, which allows you to work around it under your own responsibility. That basically means that if you really want a preference, you need to get a substantial interest by the community. There is no particular historic form for such a thing (mostly because it's pretty rare). The yearly community tech wishlist survey is a good option however (mostly because it creates a much more equal playing field in terms of prioritization of other things that the community wants and considers important in my opinion). —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 22:24, 28 July 2017 (UTC)Reply
I can't communicate with local wikis without knowing their languages. That leaves me with either... Meta RFC.... or.... How can you conduct a tech wishlist survey? --George Ho (talk) 23:34, 28 July 2017 (UTC)Reply

Hey again. I tried Wishlist survey as you suggested. My proposal attracted just five supports (plus mine :D ), preventing it from becoming one of the top ten priorities for the TechCom. Right now, 210+ people opt-out the crosswiki sidebar results in en.WP. How else do I propose an opt-out option for all other wikis? Meta RFC? If not, what else? --George Ho (talk) 12:56, 20 December 2017 (UTC)Reply

Presenting Community Engagement Insights survey report: Tuesday, October 10, 1600 UTC


Hi TheDJ,
I am reaching out to you because you signed up to receive updates about the Global Wikimedia survey.[1]

We will be hosting a public event online to present the data, a few examples on how teams will be using it for annual planning, and what are next steps for this project. The event will take place on Tuesday, October 10, at 9:00 am PST (1600 UTC), and the presentation will be in English. You can watch the livestream here, and ask question via IRC on #wikimedia-office.

If you are unable attend, you can also find the report on meta, and watch the recording of the event at a later time.

We hope to have you join us online! -- María Cruz 23:29, 2 October 2017 (UTC)Reply

  1. Update your subscription to these messages by clicking here.

Your Wishlist proposals


Hey there! I'm afraid you have one too many proposals :( Per the rules, you can only make up to three proposals. Please decide which ones are most important to you, and the remaining ones can be archived, where they will continue to be visible and can be picked up by others. Apologies for the inconvenience, and thanks for participating in the survey! MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 21:14, 11 November 2017 (UTC)Reply

Sorry to bug you, but did you decide which proposal you wanted to withdraw? You can just let me know here and I will archive it for you. All four proposals are excellent, so I'm sure it's not an easy decision. Again sorry for the seemingly silly rule, but we have to enforce it upon everyone :/ Thanks for your understanding! MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 18:08, 13 November 2017 (UTC)Reply
No i haven't decided and I have 4 more, i'll figure something out later this week. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 22:44, 13 November 2017 (UTC)Reply
@MusikAnimal: would you please archive 2017 Community Wishlist Survey/Multimedia and Commons/Support 360 photo viewing ? —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 16:52, 14 November 2017 (UTC)Reply
I've taken over as proposer. This one is too good to archive! If you want to let us in on your other ideas, we might be able to adopt them as well. MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 17:12, 14 November 2017 (UTC)Reply
If you need to post more, I can adopt the diffs proposal. Max Semenik (talk) 23:15, 14 November 2017 (UTC)Reply

Wishlist voting


Regarding Special:Diff/17484695: I just wanted to let you know that if you intend to support, you need to use the {{support}} template (or something similar), otherwise it won't count. Thanks! MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 17:39, 29 November 2017 (UTC)Reply

Reference function on the SWWP


Hi there! I'm Muddyb from Swahili Wikipedia. In our Wikipedia, we do not have an automatic reference function as the English Wikipedia. When you press CTRL+SHIFT+K to get reference TAB you find some functions are disabled including AUTOMATIC. On the English, I apply same method and it works so perfect fine. When I'm trying to use the same method on the Swahili Wikipedia, not working. I was wondering if you could help us fixing the auto-referencing function on our Wiki. Best.--Wikipedian (Activist) 19:31, 9 June 2018 (UTC)Reply

Next steps for the wish “confirmation prompt for the rollback link”


Hello, a while ago you participated in a feedback round about a proposal how accidental clicks on the rollback link could be avoided. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas!
Looking at the feedback and the rollback situation in different wikis, the development team decided how to approach this wish: As a default, most wikis won’t have a confirmation. But users who wish to have one, can enable it in their preferences, which will add a confirmation prompt to the rollback link on the diff page and on the list pages. The prompt won’t be a pop-up, but an inline prompt like for the thanks confirmation. You can read more about the planned solution and what influenced this decision on the project page. -- Best, Johanna Strodt (WMDE) (talk) 09:35, 16 July 2018 (UTC)Reply

The Community Wishlist Survey



You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.

You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:23, 30 October 2018 (UTC)Reply

Mobile app


Hello! I have withdrawn the proposal, as only 3 were possible. About the app, I don't think I can get it into Basque language, for instance. Is it possible? -Theklan (talk) 22:56, 30 October 2018 (UTC)Reply

Wishlist: Toolbar


I do still believe that the restoration of a simple way to contribute content (esp. text) to Wikimedia projects is an important technical wish. In my opinion, this is more important than developing ever new functions. How this could be done, on the level of the current state of the art, is a technical question that the developers could deal with. So I'd like to re-open a technical wish to do this. This is not meant to be an affront or to establish a protest resolution. Mautpreller (talk) 09:21, 8 November 2018 (UTC)Reply

@Mautpreller: And you are ok with waiting on that potentially until somewhere end of 2019 ? In that case, open a separate wishlist item and keep the discussion of your proposal under control and on point. If you are not OK with potentially having to wait that long (which i suspect is the case, judging from the discussions so far) then again NOT THE RIGHT VENUE. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 09:51, 8 November 2018 (UTC)Reply
I am discussing this with others from de.wp. In my opinion, it would make sense in this time frame but I'll check back with other editors. Mautpreller (talk) 10:39, 8 November 2018 (UTC)Reply

"Who Wrote That" project update


Hello. I'm reaching out to you as you participated in the 2017 Community Wishlist proposal for "Who Wrote That" project (previously known as "Blame Tool"). The Community Tech team is kicking things off on the project and we have an early-stage mockup available for you to look at. I invite you to follow that project page, where I will be posting periodic status updates for the project. You are also welcome to provide your thoughts on the talk page. Thank you. -- NKohli (WMF) (talk) 22:57, 21 February 2019 (UTC)Reply

Community Wishlist Survey 2020



You are getting this message because you've previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey, in either the Wikisource or Wiktionary categories. I wanted to let you know that this year's survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until November 11. Unlike previous years, we are only accepting proposals for non-Wikipedia content projects with no dedicated teams (i.e., Wikibooks, Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikiversity, Wikispecies, Wikivoyage, and Wikinews). You can learn more on the survey page.

You can vote on proposals from November 20 to December 2. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won't send out a separate reminder to you about that. We look forward to your participation. Thank you! IFried (WMF) (talk) 18:52, 22 October 2019 (UTC)Reply

Community Wishlist Survey 2019 - Section Name in Diff



The Community Tech team (WMF) has officially started the project for Section Name in Diff, the #9 wish from the 2019 Community Wishlist Survey!

You previously voted for this wish, so we are now contacting you. We invite you to visit the project page, where you can read a project analysis and share your feedback.

We hope to see you on the project talk page, and thank you in advance!

-- IFried (WMF), 14:13, 9 March 2020 (UTC)Reply

Over-qualified CSS selectors


My apologies that this message is just available in English.

Over-qualified CSS selectors of portals in Wikimedia skins have been changed. div#p-personal, div#p-navigation, div#p-interaction, div#p-tb, div#p-lang, div#p-namespaces or div#p-variants are now all removed of the div qualifier, as in for example it is #p-personal, #p-navigation …. This is so the skins can use HTML5 elements. Your gadgets or user styles seem to use them and you will have to update them. You can read more in phab:T252467. Johan (WMF) through MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 12:27, 8 June 2020 (UTC)Reply

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

18:26, 20 November 2020 (UTC)

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

16:09, 11 December 2020 (UTC)

Spreading some wikiKind wikiLove


Hello my friend! We’re launching wikiKind today as part of Wikipedia’s 20th year, and to celebrate Valentine’s Day!

And I want to personally thank you for being a founding member of wikiBlind. We’re starting to pickup steam!

Made this Heart-shaped Finger Labyrinth especially for you and all our wikiBlind wikiKind! Can we send you a tactile version by snail mail so you you can enjoy it with your fingertips?

It’s a maze of twisty passages all around here. Sometimes, it’s hard to feel appreciated, and you deserve some love! This Heart-shaped Labyrinth is to say Thank YOU for all your hard work. I appreciate you being here - I really do - and so do these peeps!
You can also share some wikiKind wikiLove (on English Wikipedia) by adding {{subst:Heart Labyrinth}} to any talk page with your own message. Or grab this code and remix to post anywhere!

love always,
DrMel (talk) 05:33, 15 February 2021 (UTC)Reply
Please share some wikilove!
What the world needs now, is love sweet wikilove
It’s the biggest thing that there’s just too little of.

[Interview Request] Board of Trustees Onboarding Project


Hello TheDJ,

I’m Cassie Casares, a program support associate for the Wikimedia Foundation’s Community Development. I work with Maggie Dennis, the Vice President of Community Resilience & Sustainability. Our department is responsible for many critical operations in the movement, and that includes supporting the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation in onboarding into their roles.

We are excited to welcome Victoria Doronina, Lorenzo Losa and Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight to the Board. As we work to help our new trustees better understand the different departments and functions of the Wikimedia Foundation, we also believe it is important to introduce them to different corners and insights of the movement with which they may not have much personal experience. We recognize that these outstanding individuals have extensive experience in the movement but believe it is integral that trustees have a sense of “us” that is global and diverse like our communities. We also hope to use the materials we assemble to help onboard future Board members, including those who join from outside of our movement.

To that end, we are developing a podcast that will be compiled of interviews with different volunteers from across the movement, and we would like to invite you to participate. Erica Litrenta recommended you as a volunteer with community experience that the Board of Trustees will find incredibly valuable.

The interviews will be conducted by Maggie or by my manager, Simona Ramkisson. We would aim to schedule a 60 minute meeting with you that is convenient to your timezone. These interviews will be recorded, with excerpts drawn from multiple interviews to help create a full picture of a range of experiences. In order that people may feel confident to speak frankly, they will be considered a confidential resource, and will not be shared publicly. They will only be provided to the Board of Trustees (now or future) or to onboarding senior Foundation staff, who would also benefit.

We are happy to answer any questions and would also be delighted to set up a time to talk, if you are able to help us with this request.


User:CCasares_(WMF)|Cassie Casares]] ccasares@wikimedia.org

@CCasares (WMF): I can make myself available. My timezone is CEST (CET next month) and I can generally be available in the evening hours. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 09:43, 14 October 2021 (UTC)Reply
@TheDJ: Thank you for your reply. Our team is trying to schedule volunteers before the end of the month. Is it possible to schedule you by then or before for the interview? Please send me an email so that I can schedule you if you are able to have the interview this month. ccasares@wikimedia.org
@TheDJ: I hope that you are well. I am reaching out again to see if you are still available to be interviewed for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Onboarding Podcast Project? We have these times and dates available as we are scheduling volunteers from across the movement. Please email and let me know if these dates and times work for you. Once I have an email from you I can send you a google calendar invite :) My email is ccasares@wikimedia.org

Available times and dates:

  • Monday, October 25th @ 7pm CEST
  • Tuesday, October 26th, @ 5pm CEST
  • Thursday, October 28th, @ 9pm CEST

New messages at Meta:Requests for limited adminship/TheDJ

You have new messages
Hello, TheDJ. You have new messages at Meta:Requests for limited adminship/TheDJ.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

94rain Talk 00:05, 29 October 2021 (UTC)Reply

Your RfLA


Hello TheDJ, following the discussion at Meta:Requests for limited adminship/TheDJ, no consensus to add this access was established. You may reapply in the future should the need arise. Best regards, — xaosflux Talk 12:03, 30 October 2021 (UTC)Reply



Hey User:Dschwen here (I'm out and about and don't have my 2FA device with me. While tiles.wmflabs.org never provided tiles for the wikiminiatlas I still rely on the OSMdb mirror. Just FYI. I'll comment on phabricator later. Dschwen (talk) 18:55, 22 January 2022 (UTC)Reply

A barnstar for you!

  The Community Wishlist Survey Barnstar
For your awesome assistance in technical reviews of the Wishlist proposals NRodriguez (WMF) (talk) 19:33, 15 February 2022 (UTC)Reply

Survey Wikipedia users, help for the Dutch translation, and communication to the Dutch community


Hello @TheDJ

After the false start with the banner, we are waiting for the relaunch. In the meantime, I am trying to improve the translations, most of the time done with Deepl of the survey, and to improve the involvement of the language community. (Actually, that has been more effective than my post in the village pump for the English Wikipedia community!)

I've tried to contact several Dutch speaking persons for the Dutch questionnaire, but for the time being the work is not finished. (I have not contacted the community in the Dutch village pump for the same reason).

If you had time to help me with the needed corrections, there is a google doc file here.

As said, if you can help me reaching the Dutch community that would be very helpful as well! Jullienn (talk) 11:51, 17 May 2023 (UTC)Reply