- PiRSquared17, my username was just changed, as you know. When I am logged into to WikiMedia as Nwjerseyliz and then go to en.wiki, I'm logged in there as Nwjerseyliz which was an account I used in 2007. I needed to log out and then log back in as Liz as I didn't know I was logged into the wrong account.
- Now that my username has changed on WikiMedia, I won't have this problem any longer. Liz (talk) 18:43, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you for the reply. I hope my message did not seem rude. If you have any other problems with SUL, feel free to ask on SRSUL. :-) PiRSquared17 (talk) 23:10, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal ClinicsEdit
Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decitionsEdit
The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.
If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on change.org.
Greetings! You are receiving this message because, at some point in the past, you have participated in a discussion around the topic of harassment. The Support and Safety team is holding a series of consultations gathering feedback on the best potential solutions to the problem. The next stage is a workshop where we hope to narrow the focus to individual actionable ideas and explore how to bring some of these ideas to life.
- Please join us at the Harassment workshop!
JSTOR account redistribution (The Wikipedia Library)Edit
Hi - according to our records you received a free account for JSTOR through The Wikipedia Library. Because we’ve used up all of our allocated accounts, and it’s been some time since they were distributed, we want to redistribute any accounts that aren’t being used to users on our waitlist.
If you’re still using, or plan to use, your JSTOR access, no problem! Simply head over to the Library Card platform, log in, and request a renewal of your account. You should be able to do this from your user page, or the JSTOR signup page. If you can’t find the renewal button, or have any other issues or questions about this, please feel free to leave a message on my talk page. We’ll begin redistributing inactive accounts in September; if you request renewal after then we will only be able to reactivate your account if we have spots remaining. Thanks, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:32, 20 August 2018 (UTC)
Deletion of Christopher AilmanEdit
I just discovered that you deleted w:Christopher Ailman with this comment:
Expired PROD, concern was: A search for references failed to find significant coverage in reliable sources to comply with notability requirements.
I realize you do not have to respond, but just wanted to let you know I googled his name and found these on the very first try:
- Oh, Ottawahitech!
- I really miss seeing you on en.wiki. I took a break when I was diagnosed with cancer and when I finally returned, you were gone! Have you thought of posting an unblock request or are you just over editing Wikipedia? I know right before my two breaks, I had had my fill of the conflict. Then, I eventually missed it and came back.
- As for Christopher J. Ailman, I don't know about restoring that article for the Investment Officer of the California State Teachers’ Retirement System. One of your references is a press release, another a simple listing of his profile on a business website (not an article or interview). I just don't think that he ranks high in notability by Wikipedia standards (even though he has a very important job). But I did find out that he was a Promise Keeper! I didn't think that group was still around.
- I don't come to WikiMedia very often but I am very happy to see your message and see that you are still involved with this crazy project. ;-) Liz (talk) 23:40, 3 June 2019 (UTC)
What a breath of fresh air to find a friendly person here. It must take guts to communicate with someone considered Public Enemy #1. It is doubly touching when someone who is going through very difficult times themselves takes the time to do it.
I don’t know how much you know about me, but in real life I am a law abiding citizen. I have never been in trouble with the law, not even a traffic ticket. However, I was brought up to be vocal when I observe others treated in a way that is not right. My experience at Wikipedia has taught me how privileged I am to live where such actions are acceptable. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am. Many people live in countries where their lives are in danger if they do not toe the line.
Have I thought of posting an unblock request at en-wiki? - even if I wanted to I cannot. My talk page access is removed.
Do I want to be unblocked: Only at such a time when Due Process is implemented at en-wiki, so that other blocked users who may not have powerful friends also have access to the same kind of justice.
Do I want my name cleared - yes that would be nice. Being a blocked (some claim I was banned), creates unforeseen problems for online travel beyond en-wiki.
Speedy deletion nomination of Category:Employment agencies of the United Arab EmiratesEdit
Thanks for posting a notice about this upcoming deletion. I will have to do some wiki-research to try and figure out why this category has been emptied. I hope it does not take me too long. Ottawahitech (talk) 19:27, 16 July 2019 (UTC)
- Hi Liz, I found an article that should be in w:Category:Employment agencies of the United Arab Emirates namely w:Jobs in Dubai. Of course I cannot add it myself, and I am also not permitted to ask anyone to add it (editing by proxy, or so I am told). However, I believe deleting this category is counter productive, since someone would have to re-create it in the future. Cheers, Ottawahitech (talk) 19:54, 17 July 2019 (UTC)
Speedy deletion nomination of Category:Salahaddin University facultyEdit
Thanks for continuing to post speedy deletions of empty categories. BTW you are the only person on Wikipedia who notified me of these type of speedies, I used to find out about those a long time afterthey were gone. Thanks for a job well-done.
Anyway, back to the topic: w:Adnan Koucher Is an article about someone who lectured at this university. The cat was removed on July 21 with this edit summary:
remove a category which not related to his biopic
Also, you have posted a third speedy-cat deletion notice to my talkpage. Since I have not been editing enwiki since early 2017 all these cats have obviously only recently been emptied, and also obviously, no one else who visits my talkpage is interested in trying to save these empty cats, so should I just suck it up and move-on? Any opinion? Cheers, Ottawahitech (talk) 04:13, 30 July 2019 (UTC)
Nomination for the Movement Strategy Transition Design GroupEdit
Hi Liz. To help the movement transition from the release of the Wikimedia 2030 recommendations into implementation, a transition process will take place virtually from September to November. This is where community members and other stakeholders will collectively prioritize and sequence among the recommendations, and discuss related resourcing needs and partnerships to carry forward implementation. To create this virtual transition process and develop an inclusive transition plan, a Design Group is being convened. User:Yair rand has nominated you for North America. Your regional experience and your expertise with en.WP, would be valuable assets for these discussions. The design discussions will be open and shared on-wiki, so community members and strategy enthusiasts can provide input in parallel.
Starting next week, June 29, until early August, the task will entail:
- Working with a diverse group of people from across the movement to design a series of online events
- Participating in weekly 2-hour calls (6 planned at the moment) happening on Mondays 16:00-18:00 UTC
- Carrying out some asynchronous work in between, supported by a small Transition Support Team
Is this something you'd be interested in and have the time for?
WikiConference North America 2020 registrationEdit
Thank you for signing up to attend WikiConference North America 2020! If you haven't already, it would be much appreciated if you could also take a minute to register through our form at register.wcna.wiki. While not required, this will help us keep you informed via email, and will also help give us an idea of attendance numbers over the next three days. Thank you, ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 19:07, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
The Editing team has scheduled a major update to mw:Extension:DiscussionTools (the new Reply tool) for next week's deployment train. Since you invoke the feature from a script (I do, too), you're probably going to see that update next week, before it's officially released in the mw:Beta Feature system. The new update will use a similar system for starting a ==New discussion==. As before, full-page wikitext editing will not be affected. There is more information on the project page at mw:Talk pages project/New discussion.
Hi @Liz: Can you delete en:User:188.8.131.52, en:User:184.108.40.206, en:Category:Suspected_Wikipedia_sockpuppets_of_220.127.116.11. 18.104.22.168 13:23, 10 February 2021 (UTC)
A message for youEdit
I am writing here because I wanted this to be directed at you without someone needlessly commenting. I know I got into fights with people and I honestly think I will have to take to heart that I shouldn't worry too hard. It probably got the better of me honestly, as it really doesn't matter in the end.
That said, what is the best way of going forward?
- Hello, Starzoner,
- You are enormously productive. I spend my time on admin and maintenance tasks, truly janitorial work, disposing of unwanted pages and fixing errors and I just don't understand the drive to create more and more articles, to have hundreds (thousands?) of drafts-in-progress. There is no race on Wikipedia, no deadline. I think you are a good editor but your drive to be first is misplaced. No one is keeping score but you. People really value quality over quantity and crafting a few outstanding articles is more admirable to most content creators than creating hundreds of stubs (although we need them both!). Right now, we are working on cleaning up thousands of stub articles for unincorporated settlements in California and Virginia that occurred when two different editors decided a decade ago to create articles for every single place name they found in reference books. Now several editors and admins are in the process of reviewing somewhere around 7,000 articles to weed out the junk. I'm not saying that this is comparable to your work but your editing time is limited and I'd focus on working on subjects you are passionate about instead of spreading yourself thin.
- My main problem with your editing style is that is seems like you have used your page mover right to usurp other people's work which is infuriating to them and to me seems unfair. Your draft might not be superior to another editor's draft. Maybe they could be merged? I think what might help with the fights is for you to participate on a WikiProject on a subject you care about (Film, perhaps?), read over their standards & guidelines, spend some time assessing existing articles which is work that is almost always needed. Think of where your work is most needed rather than on edit or article counts. Then people will seek out your help instead of competing with you.
- That's my 2 cents. Sorry for the delay in responding but I don't come over here often. I do understand why you wanted to talk here and please know that I don't hold grudges, I'm just trying to find ways to help everyone work better together because that's what makes the work more enjoyable for everyone which results in a better encyclopedia. We lose too many good editors when they can't get along with other editors and I hope that this situation works out so that everyone can do their best work. Liz (talk) 23:54, 19 March 2021 (UTC)