Totally-- answer them wherever you want. My talk page doesn't get many viewers. Basically, the extra questions are ones where there's no 'right answer' in my mind. For the extra questions, the candidate's answers will probably shape my opinions of the issues more than they will affect my opinion of the candidates. When I run out of ideas, I'll post the whole list somewhere and ask all the candidates if they want to answer if they have time. --Alecmconroy 04:38, 24 May 2011 (UTC)
- Is Wikimedia most like a library, a school, a museum? something else?
- It should be the reference library of a museum. :-)
- Of the other candidates, who do you most support?
- James Forrester, I'd say.
- Do you have a favorite article (or more) that illustrates the 'best' of Wikipedia? Favorite on other projects?
- Of the current board members, who do you think is our most effective leader / who do you look to as a role model?
- What's your Myers-Briggs type-- here's a test if needed. (I can't imagine the answer themselves directly affecting any votes-- but it's sorta fun and might help people understand your other responses)
WM in Politics/Activism/LawEdit
- Should WMF have an advocacy role in any circumstances? If so, broadly speaking, how do we decide what issues to take a position on?
- I think it should have a position only in cases that exactly meets our mission (also, see below).
- Does the WM Movement have a role to play in local, national and international politics? If so, what does that role look like in the future?
- What can we do to help those directly-affected by 'The Arab Spring'? What can the WM movement do collectively do for those nations? What can the WMF foundation do? What can individual wikimedians do?
- If it were feasible, should the foundation promote 'internet freedom'-- that is, advocate for or active provide unfiltered internet access to citizens of repressive regimes?
- This is a position that is consistent with our mission, yes.
- If it were feasible, should the foundation promote 'universal internet access'-- that is, advocating for or actually providing computer&internet access to impoverished peoples?
- Also consistent, though that is more of a financial issue than a political one. Certainly, if we can play a helpful role in that regard then we should.
- Should the WMF promote "Net Neutrality" in the US?
- Should WMF advocate any position on copyright reform?
- We should oppose the next attempts to impoverish the public domain, and resist copyright fraud.
Movement Vision, ScopeEdit
- What's our Big Purpose? What's our Mission? Jimmy Wales famously said "Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing." Without quoting or paraphrasing, how would you say it?
- What is the "big new exciting amazing thing" that the Wikimedia Movement could potentially accomplish in the next five years?
- Can WM host a 'non-educational' project if we want to? For example, suppose there was a multiplayer online game targeted at Israeli and Palestinian children, in the hopes that this childhood experience will promote future peace. If there's a broad consensus that the non-educational project would bring good in a clear way, could we host it if we wanted to?
- Should promoting "free culture" a goal in and of itself for the WM movement?
- WM content has generally been described using terms like "knowledge" and "educational". Do you think WM has a role in hosting non-notable art, fiction, music, and other works of open-culture? As hosting expenses naturally approach zero due to ever-dropping technology cost, should WM host increasingly more diverse content, or should we stick to the domains we currently focus on-- namely, factual, notable, instructional content of the kind that might be found in an encyclopedia or textbook.
- Looking far forward, beyond the next few years. Should each Wikimedia-named projects have to adhere to the same basic set of values we, as a community, currently hold here in the existing projects? (Namely, valuing the free distribution of factual knowledge). Or will falling hosting costs eventually mean that Wikimedia's projects will eventually become more diverse in their values, methodologies, and purposes?
- How can we empower our developers and other programmers to "be bold" in trying to create 'the next big Wikimedia thing' that will do good for humanity?
- How do we fix the "MediaWiki Problem", namely, an over-reliance on a single software platform?
- If it were technically feasible and of negligible cost, should we someday empower trusted users the "be bold" and create new projects on their own initiative, ala Wikia?
- On projects like Wikipedia, how do we fix the quality problem? (some of our articles aren't very good and don't necessarily seem to be improving with time)
- Distributed Wikipedia-- great idea or greatest idea? :)
Questions to Board candidatesEdit
Based on the statistics concerning the number of pages read in previous years' Q&As, I infer that few voters take them into account. Personally, I see it as a very interesting exercise despite the fact that we the candidates are also the main readers. I believe it is a unique type of debate among us that is especially interesting.
I have noticed that User Alecmconroy suggested a very interesting series of questions on strategic issues. They can be seen here: User talk:Alecmconroy#More questions for Board Candidates (or others). I have given my opinion, I see you have made your comments too.
I wish you the best possible result in these elections and, if you agree, I suggest that we continue having this type of debate regardless of who is chosen.
Cheers and good luck.--Gomà 09:40, 29 May 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks. Would you mind taking the time to include pointers from your four woes to salient points others have made about each of them in the discussions to date? That page may be more useful as a summary of each class of point rather than another place to share individual views named for the original author (I only labelled Trystan's list with his username as a stopgap until he could come and clean it up). –SJ talk | translate 19:56, 6 September 2011 (UTC)
- I have relatively little availability to go diff hunting, but I'll try to do so later this evening if I get a bit of free time. In the meantime, feel free to remove my name and make my points in some sort of more generic list; I certainly don't claim that my perspective is somehow special or that I'm the only one who made those points in whole or in part. — Coren (talk) / (en-wiki) 20:02, 6 September 2011 (UTC)
Please help proofread the French translation of the Second 2011 Editor SurveyEdit
The translation is ready at Research:Wikipedia Editors Survey November 2011/fr. Please review it, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Akhanna 21:46, 18 November 2011 (UTC)
The Bots project on wikilabsEdit
Hi! How can I join it? I would like to move there some tools that I run locally and later tools from my Toolserver account as well (when replication is up). Thanks, --DixonD (talk) 07:40, 12 March 2013 (UTC)
Fundraising translation feedbackEdit
I wanted to ask for your help. As you may be aware we have been running banners on many language wikis. We have a lot of new content this year and I really want to conduct a thorough review of our translations. This is a combination of feedback from the community, readers, donors as well as those with professional translator experience. This will help us ensure the highest quality of translations used in our messaging.
To help us out with this I wonder if you would be willing to give us feedback in french using This Link
Simply follow the simple instructions on that page and if you have any questions feel free to contact me on my talk page.
Copyright problem with File:Map-portrait-2011.jpgEdit
Thank you for uploading File:Map-portrait-2011.jpg. However, it currently is missing information on its copyright status. It may be deleted soon, unless we can determine the license and the source of the file. If you know this information, then you can add a copyright tag to the image description page.
If you have uploaded other files, consider checking that you have specified their license and tagged them, too. You can find a list of files you have created in your upload log. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them at this page. Thanks again for your cooperation. Stefan2 (talk) 19:36, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
Thank you for your help!Edit
|The Translation Barnstar|
|Thank you for your valuable contribution to the translation of the Global South Editor Survey questions! With my best regards, -- Haitham S. (WMF)|
Canada and United States affiliates meetupEdit
Message on wm2017 wikiEdit
Hoping that you are well after recent events. I have liked your recent commentary on matters. Also like that you have put your hand up to assist with the Wikisource stuff, so thanks for both. — billinghurst sDrewth 08:11, 27 February 2016 (UTC)
I've granted you global editinterface rights for a year, as per your SRGP request. Thanks for volunteering! As per the standard practice with these permissions, they will expire after one year (on 7 April 2017). You can start another request five days before that date, to ensure uninterrupted access.
Copyright problem with File:CA-World-visas.svgEdit
Thank you for uploading File:CA-World-visas.svg. However, it currently is missing information on its copyright status. It may be deleted soon, unless we can determine the license and the source of the file. If you know this information, then you can add a copyright tag to the image description page.
If you have uploaded other files, consider checking that you have specified their license and tagged them, too. You can find a list of files you have created in your upload log. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them at this page. Thanks again for your cooperation. —MarcoAurelio 18:33, 11 September 2016 (UTC)
Interface editor rightsEdit
Template:Permission WM2011 nominated for deletionEdit
Hello. An item which you created or you have edited substantially (Template:Permission WM2011) has been nominated for deletion. Please see the ongoing discussion at Meta:Requests for deletion. Thank you. * Pppery * it has begun 03:16, 10 December 2021 (UTC)
I need the help of a translationadmin in moving a pageEdit
How is your day going? I don't mean to take so much of your time. I raised a little issue on Babylon's Talk and would be so lucky to have you help out. Thank you Danidamiobi (talk) 22:21, 22 June 2022 (UTC)