This is a short guide to creating translatable pages. This is aimed at everyone who creates pages or processes on multilingual wikis, e.g. Meta.
- Keep as much markup as possible outside the translation tags. If it's going to be the same in all languages there is no need to translate it.
- Keep punctuation inside the translation tags. Punctuation mark usage varies across languages, and localized versions need to be used.
- Füge nicht zu viel Text in eine Übersetzungseinheit ein. Erstelle stattdessen mehrere Übersetzungseinheiten.
When you set up a discussion for many languages, please think about the following questions.
- Sind alle Anweisungen übersetzbar?
- When you tell people they can participate in any language, in which language do you say this?
- How will discussions work? There's probably no good solution for this, but you need to consider it.
- How do you handle translation of transcluded pages?