Talk:Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network
Nominate SWAN image of the monthEdit
We send out a new representation of a swan (something in commons:Category:Cygnus or a subcategory) with the invitation messages every month. Please use this section to make nominations for future message blasts! Pharos (talk) 12:47, 30 June 2022 (UTC)
What topics on future SWAN agendas?Edit
Besides the churn of announcements, events and deadlines, what important community conversations that aren't being addressed elsewhere that we should schedule at SWAN in the coming month or two? Pharos (talk) 12:50, 30 June 2022 (UTC)
Invitation: Public Policy Conversation Hour July 28Edit
Dear SWAN(ers) you are all warmly invited to the public policy/global advocacy team's open conversation hours on July 28. This month we will share some of our work on the human rights impact assessment. We're also making up for the canceled session on disinformation. All details can be found on our Meta page. Hope to see you there! ~ FPutz (WMF) (talk) 09:24, 19 July 2022 (UTC)
- My most sincere apologies for sharing the incorrect link. I'm sorry for any confusion this might have caused and all the more, that it meant interested individuals were unable to attend the call. Thanks to the kindness and attentiveness of @Mhawk10 this will hopefully have been resolved. Future calls will also be recorded...but hopefully you'll make it live because I won't mess up the link and time! FPutz (WMF) (talk) 20:45, 28 July 2022 (UTC)
I need copyright clarification about File:Swan_Lake_Ship_in_Lake_Yamanaka_IMG_0641_20130104.JPGEdit
Because from its info page, it's taken in Japan, while this file has used as a part of SWAN's massmessage and a deletion would really be hassle, the matters about copyright may still occur as per c:COM:FOP Japan, as it's only permitted for buildings and I would rather sure that that swan boat isn't an "architectural work". I don't love to start a DR as it may result many controversies between SWAN members, but copyright matters are always not small. Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 06:40, 30 July 2022 (UTC)
- @Pharos, Sj, FPutz (WMF) Do anyone know about this matter? Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 06:41, 30 July 2022 (UTC)
- Hi there! Copyright matters are indeed not always small. Allison Davenport is the CC expert on our team. You can contact her via email@example.com FPutz (WMF) (talk) 18:52, 1 August 2022 (UTC)
- Hi LXY, fair question but this image has been around for a long time and is in use on two articles in ja ( ja:小田急グループ and ja:富士急行. So there's no need to start w/ a DR; perhaps start by pinging Ogiyoshisan to see what they know about FOP guidance in this instance.
- FPutz, Allison is of course excellent, and welcome to weigh in, but there's no need to take copyright discussions to email (or to an off-wiki forum about strategy), and most of the image-copyright experts in the movement are on Commons :). –SJ talk 12:44, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
- @Sj you are absolutely correct!
- Question: In future, how can I identify the best people from within the community to advise if I get tagged in a question like this?
- Invite: I'm actually currently trying to figure out where to find the copyright experts within the community because we're hosting a call on the topic! If you're interested, check out our conversation hour on Aug 26 & 27. The first half of the call will feature community members' & affiliates' approaches to copyright advocacy. All details on this Meta page. Feel free to pass it on! FPutz (WMF) (talk) 10:09, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
- Hi @FPutz (WMF): The best place to have this sorted out would probably be Commons:Village pump/Copyright. Individual wikis have similar pages for discussing individual copyright questions like en:Wikipedia:Media copyright questions for English Wikipedia and de:Wikipedia:Urheberrechtsfragen for German-language Wikipedia. Hope that helps, Gnom (talk) 11:56, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
- @Sj you are absolutely correct!
Invitation: Global Advocacy Copyright Conversation August 26Edit
Hey Folks! I'm posting here again, this time with a link that has the correct time & works. You are warmly invited to the Global Advocacy team's monthly conversation hours on August 26 & 27. The topic this month is community approaches to copyright advocacy, ft. Dimi from the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU and Amanda Lawrence, President of Wikimedia Australia. Details on how to join, add to the agenda, and local times are on Meta. See you there! ~ FPutz (WMF) (talk) 16:05, 15 August 2022 (UTC)
Apologies for November 13Edit
- Unfortunately I won't be able to attend as it conflicts with Jornadas WMES/2022. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 10:26, 14 October 2022 (UTC)