Wikimania has been a community endeavour since its inception in 2005. Year after year, previous organisers of Wikimania and some frequent Wikimaniacs have taken on responsibility to ensure that Wikimania continues and it is a success. However, local organising teams often reinvent the wheel, encountering similar issues every year.
To allow the conference to grow more smoothly, it seems sensible to pool the years of knowledge that we have into a body that oversees the Wikimania process from beginning to end in its yearly cycle. A Wikimania steering committee has been established to oversee the bidding and selection process of host cities/teams and to provide continuity of experience and mentoring to each year's organizing team.
Purpose and process
- For details, see Wikimania Committee/Charter.
To ensure that the legacy of knowledge is effectively and efficiently passed on to the organising teams and to ensure a smooth and successful Wikimania.
- Setting Wikimania policy
- Soliciting and reviewing proposals to host
- Conference oversight and review
- Best practice development
- 2020-21 membership:
- Deror Avi (representing WM 2011)
- Phoebe Ayers (WM 2006, representing WM 2017) Vice-Chair
- Butch Bustria (ESEAP representative)
- Florence Devouard
- Andrew Lih (core organizing team of Wikiconference North America, WM 2021)
- Eric Luth (WM 2019 representative)
- Iván Martínez (representing WM 2015)
- Iolanda Pensa (representing WM 2016) Chair
- Edward Saperia (representing WM 2014)
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/Structure minutes
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2017-09-26
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2017-10-23
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2018-01-06
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2018-02
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2018-04-13
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2018-06-13
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2018-07-22 Wikimania Cape Town
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2019-03-20
- Wikimania Committee/Minutes/2020-11-10