|— Wikimedian —|
|Name||Florence Devouard (she/her)|
Conflict resolution, Gender gap, Africa, IP Rights, Governance
I was born in Versailles (France). I grew up in Grenoble, and have been living since then in several French cities, as well as Antwerpen in Belgium and Tempe in Arizona.
I am an engineer in Agronomy (ENSAIA and also hold a DEA in Genetics and biotechnologies (INPL). I have spent a while in public research (INRA), working in flower plant genetic improvement, later in applied research, in microbiology, to study the feasibility of heavily polluted soil bioremediation. I spent some time in Tempe University (Arizona), following courses in computer science and civil engineering.
After a break to take care of my first two kids, I joined a small french firm, Quantix Agro, whose activity was related with decision tools, in finances, insurance, agriculture and agri-business. My part was in the agri-business, and I mostly worked to conceive decision-making tools in w:en:sustainable agriculture.
I settled as a freelancer in 2008. In 2017, I co-funded Wiki in Africa, a South Africa based association along with Iolanda Pensa and Isla Haddow-Flood.
My affiliations (as of 2022)Edit
- Main affiliations
- Co-lead of Wiki in Africa (non affiliated association)
- Treasurer of WikiFranca (hub-to-be for French speaking wikimedia groups)
- Member of Les sans pagEs UG (contact member for the affiliate)
- Member of Wikimedians for offline wikis UG (contact member for the affiliate)
- Member of the Wikimedians in Residence Exchange Network UG
- Former Vice-Chair and currently member of Wikimédia France Chapter
- Former Chair of Wikimedia Foundation
- Looser memberships... usergroup I support
About my workEdit
I have been around since late 2001. I served as the chair of the Board of Trustees of Wikimedia Foundation until July 2008. I co funded Wikimedia France and was its vice-chair for a while.
I discovered Wikipedia late 2001 and have been an editor since February 2002. I first started editing only the english wikipedia anonymously, then under the pseudonym Anthere ('What is an anther ?), then joined the French wikipedia when it had possibly 200 stubs. In English, I mostly focused in editing, while in the French Wikipedia, I also took a lot of time building the project and the community. At that time, all international wikipedias were very small and not even on the same software than the english one. Most of my edits were in the following areas : agriculture, environment, ecology...I listed them here for a while (then gave up...). I also enjoyed writing on more "touchy" issues, such as the Iraq war, the veil in France or commercial war over GMOs...
In summer 2002, I decided that this project HAD TO BE multilingual... and that I would help make that happen... so I joined THE (only) mailing list (wikipedia-l at that time) and started editing a no man's land called meta meta in order to help this to happen.
In 2004, I joined the founding mediation commitee on the English wikipedia and wrote quite a lot of things about mediation and conflict resolution, one of those being w:en:Wikipedia:civility. I also co-authored the Mediawiki Logo with Erik Moeller :)
I am a sysop on meta, en:wikipedia, fr:wikipedia and commons, a bureaucrat on fr.wiki. Yes, we used to be called sysop, now we are admins...
I have been a steward for over four years.
A big contribution on the project for four years has been as a board member and vice-chair, then chair of Wikimedia Foundation Inc. In itself, it has used a lot of my time, more than I ever gave in 20 years I have been around. A lot of it is invisible, a lot of it is terribly frustrating, but eh ! I resisted 4 years! In october 2004, I also became a founding member of the French association (Wikimedia France). Finally, in october 2006, I became Wikimedia Foundation chair, with the difficult goal of succeeding the foundator of Wikipedia, Jimbo Wales in that role.
On the day I decided not to run again for a 5th year on the board of Wikimedia Foundation, in May 2008, I received a letter from Pdt Sarkozy, who informed me he had proposed me to be made knight in the French National Order of Merit. Soon before Christmas, I was pleased to officially receive the medal from the hands of Mr Besson. In the following year, I went back to editing more (I loved to deal with articles taggued promotionnal), and was very involved on Wikimedia France board again.
Late 2012, I decided it was time to move on and resigned from the board of Wikimedia France (I stay an active member of the chapter !). My focus since then has been diversity (or lack there of...). I co-created projects with Isla Haddow Flood (a woman living in Cap Town, SA) with the explicit goal of getting more African editors and more African-related content onto Wikimedia project.
In the following years, we worked together on
- Kumusha Takes Wiki (2013-2015), community journalism and capacity building in Ivory Coast and Uganda,
- Wiki Loves Africa (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022), photographic contest, all Africa
- Wiki Loves Women (2016 - 2022), a GLAM and capacity building project in Africa
- WikiFundi (2016, 2018 and 2021), a software solution to create Wikipedia articles offline
- Wikipack Africa (2016-2017), an action pack including WikiFundi and many resources
- c:ISA Tool (2019-2021), a microcontribution tool to add structured data on Commons
I also work on other topics such as
- WikiChallenge Ecoles d'Afrique/en, an education project running on Vikidia since 2017
- or the Research:Wikipedia Primary School SSAJRP programme (2015-2017) at SUPSI (applied research on Primary School curricula in South Africa).
In 2017, I co-funded , a South Africa based association along with Iolanda Pensa and Isla Haddow-Flood.
More recently, in 2018, I co-founded les sans pagEs Mediterranée with the support of Nattes à chat. Les sans pagEs is an initiative focusing on gender gap in the francophone speaking areas of the wikimedia world.
As of early 2022, aside from my volunteer involvement, I work part time at Wiki in Africa as co-lead and I am a Wikimedian in residence at WIPO (Jan 1st 2022 - July 31st 2022).
Yamaji kite naniyara yukashi sumire-gusa. -- Basho
I have been there for so long... 19 years...
From time to time, I go read back some of the stuff I wrote last year, two years ago, three years ago, four years ago...
- /Année 2005 (my summary of year 2005)
- /retrospective (this, I wrote during the second board elections)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anthere/Values (written sometime in 2004)
- Incivility - early 2004, when I joined the mediation committee. It became a reference...
- Disarmament crisis of March 2003 (easy to date... I fled the english wikipedia. A poor place to stay at for a french at that time)
- Listening to our garden (old stuff - 2003 ?)
- Future of international Wikipedias as part of the main community -- Wikipedias and cross-fertilisation (digging... this is 2002....)
- What is an anther ?
- Reflexions sur la bioethique
- Dispute resolution
- Source of conflict
- Open and free
- Biz Dev Bible