Thank you for your interest in signing up to volunteer as part of the VRT. We are always looking for volunteers and this page explains the work that VRT members do, what qualities we are looking for in a prospective agent, and how you can apply.
Apa yang dilakukan relawan OTRS?
The volunteers handle incoming e-mail for the Wikimedia projects and the Wikimedia Foundation. This covers everything from complaints about simple vandalism to allegations of libel and bias in articles on the various projects. We often need to do some sort of investigation, asking follow-up questions and so need to be very patient where required, for example:
- Customer: "Hi, the picture of Zip is really my picture, can you take it down?"
- VRTS agent: Which project? Which picture exactly? Who is Zip? Can you give me the link to your picture and assure me it's you?
Our VRTS system has a number of "queues" which allow us to separate emails so that volunteers with the necessary language skills and either on-wiki or VRTS experience are able to answer them. info-en is our largest queue, handling the majority of emails written in English, and is further split into "subqueues" to allow volunteers to easily choose whether they'd like to answer emails about minor article issues or biographies of living persons for example. There are also different levels of access, as some tickets are more difficult and require more VRTS experience. These are some of the busiest queues in the VRTS system and serve as the "front lines" for most reader interaction.
Please be aware that answering the info-en "tickets" can be stressful. You'll be handling messages from people who can be upset, clueless, disrespectful, and who in many cases have a legitimate complaint. However it is also rewarding knowing that you've helped to solve an issue of someone who is genuinely concerned about something in an article. This is a great chance to be part of the public face of Wikimedia. We can't always help people, but we do our best to leave them impressed with our professionalism and responsiveness. Please consider helping out, and please spread the word to others about the need.
Apa yang membuat relawan OTRS baik?
We always welcome new volunteers to help with answering tickets. Nonetheless, to ensure the quality of service and given the confidential nature of the work, there is a selective application procedure. The VRTS administrators are a group of highly-trusted and experienced volunteers who assess your application to join the VRT. When assessing an application, they familiarize themselves with your work on the Wikimedia projects to ensure that you are suitable as an addition to the team.
What do we look for?
- * Harus bersikap positif terhadap misi gerakan Wikimedia.
- * Harus tidak memiliki riwayat menggigit pendatang baru. (Hampir semua tiket OTRS berasal dari non-Wikimedian atau pendatang baru.)
- * Harus memiliki reputasi yang baik di semua proyek Yayasan tempat mereka berpartisipasi.
- Should have a history of keeping their cool even when dealing with very - sometimes unreasonably - angry people.
We accept volunteers with varying levels of experience, and are especially interested in hearing from you if you are:
- An administrator on one or more Wikimedia Foundation projects, especially if that project is a small one with few or no VRTS agents.
- Familiar with processes on Wikipedia and able to answer routine questions about them. Some common responses include Ref Desk referrals; explanations of deletion processes or how to edit. This is very similar to work you could do at the Teahouse or Help desks, so if you are helping there you'd also be able to help out here!
- Familiar with acceptable licenses for images and text and willing to handle correspondence related to permissions. Many are routine, but some issues include unclear statements of permission or permissions issued by people who can't be clearly connected to the source.
- Familiar with policies regarding living people and organizations and able to assist article subjects with lightweight needs (updating logos, correcting small information) or serious concerns (allegations of gross inaccuracy; bias).
- Fluent in both English and another language and willing to help with interlingual complaints (for example, complaints written in English about content in the Greek Wikipedia)
- Knowledgeable of who does what at the Foundation (to be able to forward to the right people, move to the right queues)
However, this list is not exhaustive and so please do apply even if you have experience that's not listed above! The queues are also structured so that you have access to ones that get e-mails you will be knowledgeable about, so you do not need to have all of these skills. In addition, agents often work together as a team and collaborate on difficult tickets.
Bagaimana cara saya mendaftar menjadi relawan?
Jadi Anda sudah membaca informasi di atas dan ingin menjadi sukarelawan? Bagus! Silakan pergi ke OTRS/Volunteering dan ikuti petunjuk di bagian atas halaman untuk mengirimkan aplikasi.
Dapatkah saya membantu di IRC?
Tentu! Jika Anda belum siap membantu menjawab email, Anda dapat bergabung dengan saluran IRC #wikimedia-vrtsambungkan. Semua relawan OTRS yang ada "disuarakan" di saluran, dan Anda dapat membantu agen yang menanyakan email dengan melakukan tugas-tugas kecil seperti:
- * Menulis ulang bagian artikel untuk memenuhi kebijakan BLP
- * Menghapus artikel dari salah satu proyek Foundation, termasuk Wikipedia
- * Menghapus berkas dari Wikimedia Commons
Daftar ini juga tidak lengkap, jadi jangan ragu untuk bergabung dengan saluran jika Anda memiliki keahlian atau izin khusus yang menurut Anda dapat membantu untuk memungkinkan sukarelawan OTRS menanggapi tiket.