Talk:Translation requests/NL-1/En:

Add topic
Active discussions

Original version moved here. Also original discussion(?).

TOC and section assignmentsEdit

Cover, Design Aurevilly (wknd), +sj+
Welcome Sj
Letter from the Founder Jimbo (wknd)
Letter from the Board Anthere, Board (wknd)
Report: Administration Anthere, Angela, Board (wknd)
Report: Collaboration Yann (wknd), JakobV (Fri)
Report: Finance mav (wknd), Michael
Report: Tech Dev Jamesday
Report: Community Sj
Report: PR Sj
Chapter Notes Yannf(wknd), Anthere (wknd), elian, akl, &c.
Out of the Projects Yannf, Sj
Interview +sj+, ?
Word on the Street presroi, Sj
In Passing (no content this time; leave out in the future, or make it a small box)
The Four Corners Angela
Gallery Sj + contribs (zh, ja, de, en)
Endnotes, Editorials Sj, dpbs


List of major donations
http://wikimedia.org/wiki/How_you_can_help

Discussion over the content of each TOC from AntEdit

Hell, working with tables is just too complicated with me :-( Sorry.

CoverEdit

I think that the cover page having to do with "community" for the first release would be best. Because I think this first version is a lot about this. Communication and ciment. And it is important that it be prepared with people from various languages.

Do you think an image/collage from meetups is a good way to do this? If not, what else should we show there? That would probably determine the subject of the editorial, and perhaps even the subject of the gallery images/articles chosen.
Image collage would be best probably as there are many pictures. Thinking of it, I have not uploaded all my pictures... I will do this week end and start a draft. ant
Boy is there a sexy collage coming. +sj+

Report:FinancesEdit

List of major donations http://wikimedia.org/wiki/How_you_can_help

Link to the page Wikimedia Newsletter/Finance

Letter from the boardEdit

Link to the page Wikimedia Newsletter/Board

Report:AdministrationEdit

Link to the page Wikimedia Newsletter/Administration

Report:CollaborationEdit

Yann will make a short report of the agreement in progress between Mandrake and Wikipedia for the CD distribution in fr and en. How many lines do you think would be okay ? ant

Link to the page Wikimedia Newsletter/Mandrake

Report:TechnicalEdit

  • Hardware timeline
  • MediaWiki 1.3
    • Cut down and hype up feature list at [1]
  • Ongoing work
    • No promises, no exact timeline, but may want to mention MediaWiki 1.4, maybe late October or early November (ask Brion)
    • Scalability and performance
      • DB load balancing (Tim)
      • Faster parsers written in other languages (Timwi, Magnus)
      • Other general optimisation
    • Review features (Magnus & Timwi)
    • Support for other DBMSes (Dammit)
    • Check recent commits for other features?
  • Traffic and response time performance
    • Graphs for visual presentation purposes, perhaps interspersed with boring wordy sections
    • Generalised hype about how good our performance has been

Link to the page Wikimedia Newsletter/Technical

InterviewEdit

w:en:Eric Raymond (proposed by Tim Shell) is fine by me. Jimbo or Tim, can you help?

I'm happy to contact him myself, but I hear he can be a bit crotchety, and want to make sure he says yes, and is in a good mood for the interview. +sj+ 10:02, 31 Aug 2004 (UTC)
Tim says he does not know the guy but Jimbo does. You should talk with him to see what he would like best for the interview. ant
In the end, interview with Ward worked out well. See end of page for interview thoughts for next time.

Link to the page Wikimedia Newsletter/Interview

PointsEdit

  • add in the in passing section, the chinese block

Report from the projects ElianEdit

It would be nice to gather some status reports from all the projects. not just numbers, but things like:

  • what have been the major developments/hot debates,
  • in which field was the most astonishing progress, success stories,
  • could they win experts in some special field, &c.

greetings to all, elian

I thought of such a thing as well, but not really as reports from most projects. I was thinking of such a thing for one or two projects only, to put a flashlight on it. There are some projects, which are no where from small, but still, we rarely hear of. Hmmmm... perhaps like the spanish version ?
At least, *I* rarely hear about it :-) Though, it is a quite big version, and I suppose they also have a very rich life;
Indeed, if a special report, with light interview of some of its contributors, could be made each time for one project, it may cast a bit of light on it. It would nice to know more [about all these projects].
--anthere
My thought was that a summary of these project-notes would go under the "Community" quarterly report. We should make sure we acquire all of this information from each community every newsletter-cycle, even if there's no space in the newsletter for it. We can then offer details for one or two projects in each newsletter, include the biggest highlights across all projects [Nobel prize winner starts contributing to bg: !], and add a link to a meta-page with information on every project. +sj+ 09:42, 31 Aug 2004 (UTC)

Link to the page Wikimedia Newsletter/Out of the projects

Random thoughts from AngelaEdit

Things that should definitely be included: Explanation of financial issues, word from the chairman, recent purchases, hardware status, planned purchases, recent awards (could be very brief), recent meetings and meetups, report from the local chapters, major donations.

Things that could possibly be included: an interview, external goings-on such as DVD distributions.

Things I'm not convinced are needed: Stats (not highly relevant), proposed projects (there are lots of proposed projects, most of which never even start. New projects that actually have started would be much better), Project updates (reasons below), quotes (probably won't make much sense to outsiders), mentions in the press (we have pages for this already. I don't think it adds a lot to include it here as well).

The aim of the newsletter needs to be clarified. My impression was that it was supposed to be a newsletter from the board but it seems to be turning into a collection of news from various projects and unrelated to the Foundation. If this is aimed at people outside the projects, then the latest desyopping policy on the Klingon Wiktionary should really not be here. Such reports have nothing to do with Wikimedia as a Foundation. We have Goings-on for internal stuff like this. It's also likely to end up very biased towards the English Wikipedia if we do this, since very few other projects or languages participate in reporting their news on goings-on. If it's to be fair, you'd need feedback from 100+ projects. I don't see how that can fit into this (although it would be interesting for a different project). I can't see any relevance in including things like the Wikiproject "Tree of Life". That would fit into a Wikipedia newsletter, not a Wikimedia one.

Since it is supposed to be a publication of the board, I think it only makes sense for the chair of the board to be the main editor of it. Therefore, parts like the foreword should be coming from Jimbo. Also, please don't use meaningless abbreviations like CUR and Tre. This is hard enough for English speakers to understand. It would make the page next-to-impossible to translate.

One thing that needs to be arranged is setting up a mailing list for this and promoting that so people actually subscribe to it. Perhaps this could be advertised in the press release?

Finally, we need a proper deadline, or we won't be ready before it's time to send out the next one. :) Anthere suggested on IRC that we have drafts by the September 15 and have it ready for translation by September 23, which seems sensible to me. Angela 20:25, 2 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Deadlines: Sept 8 for initial drafts; then a round of copyediting & layout; Sept 12 for final drafts; then a round of proofreading, vetting, and final design; Sept 14 for polished and vetted copy, ready for final translation.
we could take longer, but why? better to synchronize the translator frenzy for the press release and the newsletter. +sj+ 01:34, 4 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Naming: Non-random thought from Tim ShellEdit

Is the title Quarto as in "quarterly"? Isn't it possible that, due to popular demand, we start doing this every month? In which case a title implying "quarterly" would be inaccurate. I think NPOV would be a good alternative title.

Hmm...SJ tells me it is because it is 8 pages...Isn't it possible that, due to popular demand, we start making it 9 pages?

Quarto might also be a confusing word to people not familiar with romance languages.

Indeed. Let the title contest begin! +sj+ 21:02, 3 Sep 2004 (UTC)
  • NPOV (but will it really be NPOV?)
  • The Gazelle (will it really be fast?)
  • Octopus (an octet obsession)
  • Le petit rapporteur (why only a title in english ?)
  • Syzygy (like octopus, not really an english word)
once a month will be too much work I think.

"...not really an english word"
Well, wiki itself isn't strictly an English word! – [[User:Mxn|Minh Nguyễn (talk, blog)]] 03:42, 6 Sep 2004 (UTC)

a confusing word to people not familiar with romance languages.

Agreed. On ja.wp some contrubuter confused it with Quatro. And frequently comes a question btw what means it? :) Then I confess I couldn't guess how Syzygy (si-zee-gi?) is was pronounced... NPOV or a title which can have its abbraviation as so (regretfully my English competition doesn't allow me to invent it by myself) is not a bad idea, although I like the current title very much.:) --Aphaia 01:30, 14 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Actually, having a title that's kind of ambiguous and elusive is kind of good: we don't have to come up with a title for each different language. As long as quarto doesn't turn out to be, or be similar to, some part of the anatomy in one of the more "obscure" languages wikimedia deals in, of course... - IMSoP 23:32, 17 Sep 2004 (UTC)
thanks for all the feedback and comments. I think we'll stick with the current title; it fits nicely on a cover and hasn't raised any major complaints.

Change it. Quarto literally means "cuarto" in Spanish, for "quarter". However, the first relation to "cuarto" to Spanish is "room" from one of its translation. Does the word quarto can be translated to other languages? Why not simply "Wikimedia Newsletter", it is irrelevant how many pages does it has or in what time-period you might want to publish. For example, we might want to publish a newsletter sooner because we have too much information for a 3-month period. Attach the name to what it is, not what you want it to be. Joseph | Talk 00:13, Sep 28, 2004 (UTC)

from TomosEdit

This newsletter seems like in English and some other language(s).. is this just me...? Tomos 09:29, 4 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Okay now that I checked the history and other info. perhaps it is not a result of vandalism or anything.. Tomos 09:35, 4 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Filler text in Latin is just... filler text. Anything which seems not to be English will be replaced by the end of the weekend. +sj+ 21:07, 4 Sep 2004 (UTC)
Awww, I thought it was rather funny that, along with the random pictures, the newsletter would have part of Lorem Ipsem as the Founder's Letter. Hehe. – [[User:Mxn|Minh Nguyễn (talk, blog)]] 03:40, 6 Sep 2004 (UTC)
Hmm. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea magnum culpa. De marolum origine. Quamquam bonus habere lettam fundatoris, sed et ego lorem ipsem amorabam ... Then when will the interview come up? I'm afraid it will be too huge to put into another language within a few days ..... (miserere nos) --Aphaia 08:08, 11 Sep 2004 (UTC)
you are right, Aphaia; the interview is the hardest bit to translate, and long. the next interview will come earlier in the revision cycle. +sj+ 09:58, 20 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Can I add this picture and explanation to section 7Edit

Chinese Wikipedia propose this picture for section 7. The explanation of the picture now is in Chinese, but we will translate it into English later.--Mountain 18:50, 6 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Hello Mountain, such an image is good for that section; please cut the text down to one or two sentences (perhaps as a caption). +sj+ 19:58, 7 Sep 2004 (UTC)
I had cut the text to three sentences, is it OK? I don't want to cut the text more, in fact I had cut an interesting story of the the jug. --Mountain 09:55, 8 Sep 2004 (UTC)
OK, I cut it to two sentences. --Mountain 10:01, 8 Sep 2004 (UTC)
Great, thank you. +sj+

Gilt silver jug with pattern of dancing horses, Tang Dynasty, China

 
Gilt silver jug with pattern of dancing horses, Tang Dynasty, China

The two flat sides of the jug are impressed with the shape of a dancing horse. It sat on its hind legs to present a cup of wine held in its teeth, a feat not seen in modern dressage.


Hi, I bring a photo from ja: Aphaia Floating Shrine of a seagoddess on the waves, Hiroshima, Japan

 
O-torii (Grand Gate) of Itsukushima Shrine, Japan; on the flow

Itsukushima Shrine, was founded over 1400 yeers before. It has been registered to the World Heritage since 1996 because of its historical worthiness and architectural beauty.

Grants and logosEdit

There's currently nothing about grants. Where should that go? For example, details of the work that went into the NEH grant, that whilst it wasn't submitted provides a useful basis for future applications. Also the Africa project one that Danny has been working on. Angela 15:52, 8 Sep 2004 (UTC)

I changed the logo to the official one. I think it could confuse people to see that modifed one, and it is not what is supposed to represent the Foundation. Angela 15:53, 8 Sep 2004 (UTC)

No problem. The modified logo was there to provide a bit of energy to the opening, before it had content. I am sure it will find other uses.

In Focus and In LoveEdit

Jimbo's message has an unfinished part. I took it as an indication that he did not have the numbers at hand, and we can fill that in. So here are some numbers from Zachte's multilingual stats [2]:

Approximately, we get

  • 2K new wikipedians (logged on users with 5+ edits) per month. 70 per day.
  • 2 - 2.5K new articles per day.
  • 12K page views per day.

Tomos 10:48, 10 Sep 2004 (UTC

That's right, I didn't have the numbers because I was on the plane when I wrote that. I am happy with how it was filled in. Jimbo Wales 23:52, 11 Sep 2004 (UTC)

FAQ - board membersEdit

  1. What do you think of Wikimedia past three months activity ?
  2. Could you cite what was interesting to do ?
  3. Did you find something hard to do ? or What was hard to do as a board member ?
  4. What kind of feedback did you get from the community ?
  5. What do you plan to do in the next trimester in particular ?
    • Angela will summarize this in the board letter.
  6. What is your opinion on advertisement issues?
    • answered in the finance section.
  7. Do you consider Wikimedia to have members, apart from Board members?
    • According to our bylaws, all participants to any wikimedia projects are members of the Foundation.
      • Actually the bylaws state "all persons interested in supporting the activities of the Foundation who have contributed under a user name...", so simply being a participant is not enough. I'd say we don't have members until people have opted-in to become members. Angela
  8. How does working on the board work out to feel?
  9. Do Jimbo, Tim and Michael dominate all board discussions and decisions?'
    • To date, Tim and Michael have played a minimal part in board discussion and decisions and there is no intention to change this. In order to ensure that the community voice is real, Jimbo has pledged as a matter of convention to never vote against Angela and Anthere unless he feels that it is an issue of absolutely fundamental change of direction for the project -- which is not likely to happen anyway, since Angela and Anthere and Jimbo share the essential values for our community and our project. Therefore as a pratical matter, power is in the hands of the two democratically elected board members on most issues, and Jimbo will defer to that.
  10. How many board decisions are made by vote, and of those how many are decided by a 3:2 margin? '
    • It has not yet been necessary for us to vote in most cases. In the usual wiki way, we discuss things, find proposals that we can all agree on, make compromises to accomodate each other where necessary, and then it is unanimous.
  11. Is there any way for the public to follow board deliberations? Do they record or publish their activities anywhere?'
    • Most of the time we discuss things on #Wikimedia IRC channel on freenode. On this channel, everyone is free to not only follow board deliberation but to participate to the discussions and help us to make decisions. Logs of planned meetings IRC meetings, such as the one regarding the Foundation website, are published on Meta and the Foundation wiki, along with summaries of other meetings. However we also meet in private channels or exchange private mails as well. It's important for us to be able to speak freely, to think out loud, without people taking speculative comments and thoughts as being new policy or set-in-stone decisions. We hope that our activities are visible through this newsletter, through board meeting minutes, through official announcements on the mailing lists and soon on the Wikimedia website.
Some of these q/a's found their way into the admin report.

Yahoo dealEdit

sj asked me to say a few words here about the Yahoo deal in case we need a bit of filler at the end. Otherwise, perhaps in the next issue we could report more generally on relations with big companies, etc.? (Not a lot to tell about that, but there are a few contacts and comments and feedbacks that I have gotten).

We have an agreement with Yahoo to provide them with an XML datafeed of all of our articles so that they can directly seed their search results. They give us statistics about this, and Terry Foote watches those, you can ask him, cc: me on it, and he'll get them for us, tfoote@bomis.com. I don't know them off the top of my head. The only thing Yahoo asked for in return is that we list them equally with google on the search page when our internal search gives no result (that is, when our internal search is turned off). This is part of the Content Acquisition Program that Yahoo has to give ad space to nonprofits like us.

data from terry : # of clickthroughs from yahoo (seems like a lot to me, up to 25% of our june traffic?) :
 May   June   July    Aug   Sept
500k | 2.3M | 1.6M | 1.8M | ~2M


InternationalEdit

Where has it gone? It is a temporal change? (cf. [3])--Aphaia 07:36, 16 Sep 2004 (UTC)

I wondered that too. If it comes back, it should mention that Serbian has just reached 5000. Angela 13:16, 16 Sep 2004 (UTC)

is it Asturian or Autrian? Christopher Mahan

Asturian (of Asturias). --Aphaia 21:32, 17 Sep 2004 (UTC)


Comment on frozen versionEdit

I think this is a fantastic newsletter that really summarises was has happened across Wikimedia in the last six months.

If such a level of quality can be maintained, then most of us will not have to frequent all the mailing lists and meta to keep up to date with ongoing developments. :23:16, 17 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Very attractive, very informative. Kudos to all who contributed. Erik Zachte 02:55, Sep 18, 2004 (UTC)

Thank you very much for this comment Erik. We all appreciate :-) Anthere
Thanks, Erik and anon. +sj+

Dates: to bold, or not to boldEdit

Just glancing at this, I notice that in the "calendar" section, the dates are all formatted plain except one, which is bold. Presumably, the odd one out is the error, but I think some emphasis to separate the date from the text is quite useful. What do you think:

  1. Sep 21-24: Jimmy Wales in Switzerland; presentation to the UN
  2. Sep 21-24: Jimmy Wales in Switzerland; presentation to the UN
  3. Sep 21-24: Jimmy Wales in Switzerland; presentation to the UN

Maybe I'm spending too much time considering this... - IMSoP 23:32, 17 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Bold has its advantages. I'll see what I can do for you. +sj+

Table of ContentEdit

On pg.1, Table of Content

  • Local Chapters(or equivalent) is better to come after From Projects?
    Yes, Chapters after Projects.
  • Which is the title of pg.6: In the Press or In the Media?

--Aphaia 04:03, 18 Sep 2004 (UTC)

  • In the

Northern hemisphere biasEdit

From the heading:

Inaugural Edition Summer 2004

For me this shows a strong northern hemisphere bias. Perhaps it can be reworded to be more general? --Alias 07:03, 18 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Hmm, well spotted - and not something that translators can overcome, unless we have an "Australian Edition". Perhaps it would be better just to have the month of publication? Or the months covered, if we want to highlight the quarterly-ness (e.g. "July/August/September"). That way, languages can translate the month names, and even refer to rough equivalents in a different calendar, if that seems appropriate (e.g. a Hebrew translator might choose to refer to the Jewish months that roughly corresponded). - IMSoP 12:25, 18 Sep 2004 (UTC)
Thank you, Alias! My brother lives in the southern hemisphere; he would have killed me had I overlooked that. I like the idea of titling it by month, perhaps with slight variance across calendar systems. Far better than, say, "Q3 Newsletter"... OK, changing this to "September 2004". Please update translations accordingly. +sj+ 10:00, 20 Sep 2004 (UTC)
Summer is biased, agreed. I support for "September 2004"; From a view of northern hemisphere habitant, the late September isn't Summer entirely. --Aphaia 19:53, 21 Sep 2004 (UTC)
On Wikimedia site feedback another northern semisphere biased expression was pointed out; here is the feedback (without signature)
very awesome, many thanks and congrats to the ppl involved, just one quick note about page eight, "Foundation members should be able to see this newsletter in print before the start of winter." Well for me and everyone else in the four and a half continents in the southern hemisphere, winter has come and gone. Its an easy mistake and not a very important one, but i thought that i would still metion it. otherwise great newsletter
If possible, it is better for us to replace this line with another, how about "within this year"? Too vague? --Aphaia 05:26, 1 Oct 2004 (UTC)

Legend picture : note to translatorsEdit

I note here for now. The legend of the Mont St Helens picture is wrong. It is still the previous legend (Bryce amphytheater). Must think of checking on all translations. Anthere

Still a problem. just fixed it on de: and fr:. +sj+ 09:58, 20 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Chinese "local projects" linkEdit

On page 4, under "local projects", I noticed that the zh: link has been garbled - some kind of bad encoding translation, I suspect. However, looking at the Chinese translation, their link appears to be broken, too, since as far as I can make out, it leads to a "This page does not exist" screen. Since I can't read Chinese, I have no way of finding the proper version of this link, so perhaps someone should find the real thing and go round correcting the link in all affected languages.

Great point. I'll have to find someone to replace that with the real link. +sj+

BTW, great idea, and great work. I saw it, and immediately slipped into "copyeditor mode", so I forgot to say that before. :D - IMSoP 12:32, 18 Sep 2004 (UTC)

<cue 80 voices saying, "thank you!"> +sj+

Arabic names on page 7Edit

Arabic names on page 7 showed up in Latin characters in the English newsletter, I fixed that. --Ayman 18:57, 18 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Pants, sorry, this was me — I loaded it into Emacs to run a spell check, and it mangled some of the Arabic / ja / zh stuff, as well as the Euro symbol. These are all (hopefully) fixed now, though someone might like to check. Matt Crypto 13:48, 19 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Wikipedia or Wikimedia?Edit

On page 4, it says:

"The Tree of Life wikiproject, focusing on all organisms on the planet, continues to be the largest of all Wikipedia projects"

Shouldn't it be ...all Wikimedia projects? \Mike 21:40, 20 Sep 2004 (UTC)

No, Wikipedia itself is a Wikimedia project; ToL is the name of a wikiproject on Wikipedia. +sj+ 22:52, 22 Sep 2004 (UTC)

german and french [sic]Edit

Is there a reason why "In coordination with the german and french chapters" - the german and french words are not capitalized?

This is changed now.

more on ch4Edit

In the TOC, the headers for page 4 is

Chapter Notes

and

News from the Projects

While on the real page 4, the headers are

Out of the projects

and

Chapter reports

If it is to look professional, I think the headers should be the same in TOC as in the content.... \Mike 13:20, 21 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Let's stick with "Out of the Projects" and "Chapter reports". They should be in that order in the ToC, as they are on the page. +sj+ 22:56, 22 Sep 2004 (UTC)
(What means TOC?) so the pg. 1 should be rewritten? --Aphaia 22:48, 23 Sep 2004 (UTC)
TOC is short for "Table Of Contents". So yes, page 1. - IMSoP 23:10, 23 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Jimmy or JimboEdit

There was a comment on irc the other day requesting that all Jimbos be changed to Jimmy. Is this what is desired? Or should we keep it Jimbo? Fuzheado 00:21, 22 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Yes, all refs should be to Jimmy. Please note the reordering and changes to the first 4 questions in the Administrative Report on pg 3, as well, to better introduce Mav and Tim Starling. +sj+ 22:53, 22 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Extra interview clippingsEdit

You can find extra bits from the interview with Ward at Wikimedia newsletter/Extras

Copyedit: Collaboration sectionEdit

Ugh, I was translating this section into Spanish and it needs copyedit. Here is why, comments are on red... please note that I have been called a monster in the past when realizing peer review professionally. I don't mean to insult you or demeanor your work, I just use harsh language because of the mood.

Discussions with potential collaborators (shouldn't we use the word "partners" instead? that is slightly more formal than 'collaborators') have heated up (colloquialism problem noted; language will be more neutral in future) this year. External projects interested in working with Wikimedia projects include Project Gutenberg (http://www.promo.net/pg/) (Wikisource), OpenTextBook (http://www.opentextbook.org) and Free High School Science Texts (http://www.nongnu.org/fhsst/) (Wikibooks), and Open-Media (http://www.open-media.org/) (the newly-started Wikimedia Commons) (why is it necessary to mention each project that it is related to? i can't find a reason to, we are generalizing our potential partners from the POV of the foundation, it is not necessary to mention the other projectsA matter of style.). On July 1, some (avoid "some", use "a representation from the German Wikipedia" or something like that changed.) German Wikipedians met with the Brockhaus new media group to get to know one another. At the end of August, Jimmy and Angela met with people ("people" -> "members") from the BBC's new media division to talk about Wikipedia, opening possibilities of collaboration with them.
Some collaborations have already been realized ("collaborations" are made daily, why don't we use a different word, such as partnership?). Starting in May of this year, Yahoo! invited Wikipedia to become part of its content acquisition program. (We must define what the Y! CAP program is, the same way they did with wikipedia in their press release Nice catch. Their program is vaguer than WP, but link added.) A data feed of our list of new pages was provided to them to ensure up to date ("up to date" -> "up-to-date") search results of Wikipedia's content; (what do you mean by "list of new pages", what pages? each Wikipedia page? or each new page? — is this sentence up to the semi-colon necessary to say?) in June, statistics from Yahoo! suggest this provided over 2 million visits, (change to "suggest that after the partnership was completed, Wikipedia received X visits directly from Yahoo!" as this is what you want to say) a quarter of our total (add "number of visits"), with slightly less traffic since then. Other collaborations with individual content distributors (what is an "individual content distributor"? do you mean "distributors of individual content", or "individual distributors of content"? if so, what is "individual content" or what is an "individual distributor"?) have yielded the most tangible results (what makes these results so tangible? You can literally pick up the results with your hands...): two major (why are they "major"?) CD and DVD distribution efforts (distributions of what, pancakes? books? *Wikipedia*?) are being realized the fourth quarter of 2004. (shouldn't this sentence say, "efforts for distributing Wikipedia in CD and DVD are being realized and expected to be concrete by the fall of 2004")Many good suggestions; paragraph updated.

By the way, why was this newsletter version frozen? It still needs copyedit and peer review. =/ Because the deadline for migrating it to the foundation site has passed. Joseph |

Thank you for all of your comments! This was a first effort, put together in three short weeks. It is still being edited for email and print distribution, so your suggestions are immediately useful; see the updates list. but general editing of the copies on meta is frozen, to avoid duplication with the editing taking place on the official version.
The next newsletter will come out in a few months, with somewhat more notice; I hope you will turn your monstrous copyediting talents towards it as it takes shape. BTW, I am doing some rough newsletter translation out of English tonight myself, and it's interesting to see the copyedits that seem obvious through the lens of translation, but were invisible before. +sj+ 04:18, 28 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Talk 01:50, Sep 28, 2004 (UTC)

Copyedit: Mandrakesoft DVD sectionEdit

Doing this here in order to avoid the use of an incorrect NL by others...

Mandrakesoft (http://www.mandrakesoft.com/) (producer of their own flavor of Linux (colloquialism; shouldn't this say "distribution" or "version of Linux"? yes)) will release a DVD containing a bilingual snapshot of the French and English Wikipedia, with an upcoming version of Mandrake Linux. (shouldn't the sentence read "An upcoming version of Mandrake Linux will include a DVD with a snapshot of blah blah"?) Mandrakesoft has produced one of the most popular and user-friendly Linux distributions for many years.
The intensive work to tag images and lists (what images? what lists? I know what you are referring to cuz im a pedian but you will confuse others) in preparation for these publications (these publications, ie: plural? are you referring to both the mandrake and the directmedia publications? when you separate the sections, the reader decides which one to read... if he chose NOT to read the Directmedia section then you will be confusing him... perhaps we should make an introduction for the Distribution section and incorporate this paragraph into that introduction.. THEN talk about each specific distribution), long overdue, (this doesn't seem necessary at all, and you are basically telling the readers that we are a bunch of lazy irresponsable bastards) has provided quality improvement to the Wikipedia projects involved. The image-tagging effort on the English encyclopedia, which involves classifying 50,000 untagged images, (ok, again, I fully understand what you mean... but people doesn't know why are they untagged and why do you need to tag them.. in other words, "untagged" of what?) is ongoing Please help this effort at [21] Again, good points.

You guessed right, I was translating this section into Spanish. =P Joseph | Talk 02:08, Oct 1, 2004 (UTC)

Question to German NLEdit

I'm just a little proof reading. My Question: Which were the guidelines in following a few simple guidelines? Is it so difficult to edit a Wikireader? In the german translation it sounds a bit ridiculous. This can be left out.

Two single-topic reference texts, called 'WikiReaders' were produced in german from Wikipedia content, on the topics of Sweden and the Internet [4]. These were developed by a group of contributors led by Thomas Karcher, converted to PDF, and printed in a small print run for 6USD a copy, following a few simple guidelines [5]. They were distributed at meetups in Germany and Austria, and via an online store [6].

--Philipendula 10:43, 1 Oct 2004 (UTC)

QuestionEdit

What is a squid?

Wikimedia has standing offers of free hosting from a webhost in France, where three new squids have recently been set up. There were other offers of free hosting, as well, particularly while making contingency plans (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Contingency_plans) for the first Florida hurricane, in late August

And what is a mirror in this context?

There are others ways, as well, to gather money, such a grants, prizes, gifts from our mirrors, donations of hardware etc...

--Philipendula 13:12, 2 Oct 2004 (UTC)

Sorry I lost the context: the latter is in Is Wikipedia planning to have ads?; I misread as gifts of our mirrors ... I can't guess what means mirrors there ...--Aphaia 14:24, 2 Oct 2004 (UTC)
Squid = Squid cache, it needs to be changed to something non-technical. And mirror in this context I think that refers to mirror sites, but I really don't know to what mirrors sites do they refer: forks or server mirrors? I haven't translated this section into Spanish yet for the same very reason. =/ Joseph | Talk 16:53, Oct 2, 2004 (UTC)
Joseph is right on both counts; for instance, fact-info.com, the one donor mentioned in our first page, is a mirror site which gets money from ads; they donated a gift of $2,500 to us. And yes, all of this should be clarified for the lay reader. +sj+ 23:16, 2 Oct 2004 (UTC)
Could it be a mirror as gift, just like a hardware donation? --Philipendula 22:46, 2 Oct 2004 (UTC)
No, fact-info.com is itself a mirror: it is a separate site that reuses Wikipedia content, but adds adverts; they donated some money, as a gift. So it is a gift that was given to us by a mirror. Presumably, it is noted seperately because this is different from an individual donating money because they use Wikipedia directly: these people have used the content of Wikipedia to help them make money, and have donated some of that money back as a thank you. - IMSoP 16:56, 3 Oct 2004 (UTC)

Again a stupid QuestionEdit

I realised, that there are two different versions of Finances:

En: 1180 individual PayPal donations have been made to the Foundation between the start of the year and 31 August, yielding US$46,600 (non-U.S. Currencies converted using current exchange rates), a daily average of $190. Over half that amount ($29,800) was collected in July and August mostly during an unofficial donation drive, which was implemented only on the English Wikipedia.
DE: Seit Anfang des Jahres bis zum 31. August haben insgesamt 1.180 Spender über PayPal eine Gesamtsumme von 337.500 Euro (46.600 US-Dollar, fremde Währungen wurden zum Tageskurs umgerechnet) an die Foundation gespendet, was einem täglichen Durchschnittsbetrag von 153 Euro entspricht. Mehr als die Hälfte des Betrages wurde im Juli und August aufgebracht, hauptsächlich im Rahmen einer nicht ofiziellen Spendenkampagne, die nur in der englischsprachigen Wikipedia betrieben worden ist.

Could it be 37.500 Euros? --Philipendula 16:08, 3 Oct 2004 (UTC)

Yes, I think that's probably a typo in the German text. It would be nice if the $ figure was the error, but since they agree on that one, I guess it's the Euros. The Yahoo! converter confirms that EUR 37500 is about right. - IMSoP 17:10, 3 Oct 2004 (UTC)
Thanx! --Philipendula 22:45, 3 Oct 2004 (UTC)

The "road ahead" imageEdit

If you place your mouse pointer over the image in the section "The raoad ahead" at the bottom of the page, then the the litte textbox that appears tells you it shows "right". The code: [[Image:Arizona cap canal.jpg|200px|The road ahead|right]] is simmilair to: [[Image:Arizona cap canal.jpg|200px|The road ahead|]]. The position code is set to "right" as default. Therefore the error does not show and "right" is interped as the text for the image and not as the positioncode, and only god knows what the "tag" |The road ahead| does =). I think it should be changed to the correct code: [[Image:Arizona cap canal.jpg|200px|right|The road ahead]]. // Solkoll 18:23, 7 Oct 2004 (UTC)

Nica imageEdit

If anyone's wondering what happened to the image of the Nica award in the last eleven years, the depressingly familiar answer is that it got moved to Commons, and then years later it was deleted. However, a copy is on the Foundation wiki. — Scott talk 00:45, 28 September 2015 (UTC)

Return to "Translation requests/NL-1/En:" page.