Igbo Wikimedians is a group of Wikimedians that are committed to working on various wiki projects related to Igbo language and culture. The group is open to collaborations with other organizations to promote Igbo language. It is an open membership group available to anyone that is literate in Igbo language at any level.
We started our wiki-related activities with the project tagged Wikipedia Igbo Women Edit-a-thon Project in 2016. The essence of the Wikipedia Igbo Women Edit-a-thon project was to improve the presence of notable Igbo women on Wikipedia Igbo Language platform by translations and creating new pages all in Igbo language.
Inspired by the huge impact and great feedback that the project gathered, and the fact that Igbo is one of the most spoken ethnic language in Nigeria; we made a decision to expand the scope of work and enshrine the objectives which included massive campaigns to recruit Igbo language editors that live in Nigeria, increase the editing skill set of existing Igbo language editors that live in Nigeria and significantly improving content on the Igbo Language Wikipedia platform by translations and creating new pages all in Igbo language, through the entire Wikimedia value chain.
Igbo Wikimedians User Group is a group of Wikimedians that are committed to working on various wiki projects related to Igbo language and culture. The group is open to collaborations with other organizations to promote Igbo language. It is an open membership group available to anyone that is literate in Igbo language at any level. On the 5th of May 2018, the Affiliations Committee approved the request to officially recognise us as a User Group. Here is the Documentation.
- Introducing Wikimedia projects to more Igbo people that are literate in Igbo language at any level.
- Encouraging Igbo people that are literate in Igbo language at any level to become contributors.
- Maintaining the community and encouraging more Igbo people that are literate in Igbo language at any level to become more involved as community members.
- Working towards the growth and development of other Igbo language Wikimedia projects.
- Promotion of topics related to Igbo language, culture and community.
- Cooperating with local authorities, organizations and individuals to receive grants and other materials to promote free knowledge that will promote Igbo language Wikimedia projects.
Unique Selling Proposition
Igbo language is one of the most spoken ethnic languages in Nigeria and is spoken by the Igbo people that are native to the present-day South Eastern Nigeria with an estimated population of 34 million (2016 est.) excluding Igbo people in the diaspora. Small ethnic Igbo populations are also found in Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea.
The aim of the Igbo Wikimedians User Group is to leverage on this huge number of people that speak the Igbo language to ensure that content production and consumption in the various Igbo Language platforms of Wikimedia is given front row focus.
We commit to ensuring that our activities and projects will be themed towards the language and culture and the objectives and missions will align with the overarching mission of the Wikimedia Movement. Simply put, we will cascade the focus of the Wikimedia Movement down to our roots and own it in a language that we are passionate about.
Use this format to sign your name
*[[User:Your username|Your real name]]
We're constantly looking for people wishing to join us, share and work on our vision, mission and goals. It is an open membership group available to anyone that is literate in Igbo language at any level. Geographical location or language are of secondary importance. If you are interested in becoming a member, please send a quick mail to Tochi Precious by clicking on the envelope and she will get back to you within 48hours.
Suunnitellut toimet ja projektit
- Monthly meet-ups.
- Photo Walks.
- South Eastern Nigeria School Language Wiki Club projects with collaboration with Igbo language departments of higher Institutions in South Eastern part of Nigeria.
- Sensitisation and Awareness Walks.
- Photo Contests
- Content Production in Wikiquote and Wiktionary
We now have an Igbo Wikidata Lexemes Forms template. In May we were selected as one of the focus languages for the Wikidata Lexicographical data focus languages which led to our first Wikidata lexemes training Wikidata Igbo Lexemes Training on the 10th - 11th July 2021. You can read about it here: Wikidata:Lexicographical data/Focus languages
Cavic Nigeria, No.30 Agadez Street, opposite Glo Office, off Aminu Kano Crescent, Wuse 2, Abuja, Nigeria.