This is a draft for the by-laws of the proposed Igbo Wikimedians User Group.
Chapter One – (Our Mission) Edit
Section One (About The Chapter) Edit
- The proposed chapter will be a Wikimedia User Group based in Nigeria called Igbo Wikimedians User Group.
Section Two (Our goals) Edit
- Igbo Wikimedians is a group of Wikimedians that are committed to working on various wiki projects related to Igbo language and culture.
Section Three (Our activities) Edit
- Igbo Wikimedians User Group's activities will be shaped by our goals.
Chapter Two – (Membership) Edit
Section One (Membership) Edit
- The group is open to collaborations with other organizations to promote Igbo language. It is an open membership group available to anyone that is literate in Igbo language at any level.
- The board of directors have the right to reject any membership application within 30 days of its receipt and return to the applicant any fees submitted with the application in the case of fee paid.
- An applicant can also appeal when rejected to the membership as a whole at a general assembly.
Section Two (Rights of Members) Edit
- A member can attend the Annual Convention/General meetings – speak, propose and second during discussions.
- A member who fulfills membership requirements can nominate and vote.
- A member can participate in the projects and activities of the User Group.
Section Three (Responsibilities of Members) Edit
- A member is not obliged to attend meetings.
- A member should follow the User Group's rules and by-laws.
- A member should not engage in anything that will harm the User Group. What is harmful to the User Group will be determined on a case by case basis by board and voted on by members. The board will call for an extraordinary meeting for this.
- A member should not defame the group or bring its name into disrepute.
- A member should not obstruct the working of the User Group and during meetings.
Section Four (Penalties & Termination of Membership) Edit
- A membership will end if the member dies, resigns, has been expelled by a vote of 2/3 of the directors.
- A member can terminate his/her membership by sending a written message to the secretary; with a 21 notice given.
- A member of the chapter can be penalized for being in contravention of Chapter Two - Section Three responsibilities.
- Penalizing can either be suspension or expulsion determined on a case-by-case basis
- Penalizing is done after The Board of Directors meet and confirms the penalty.
- If the member appeals by sending a written letter or arrange a meeting with the board, the board should revise his appeal within 30 days and confirm or revoke the penalty.
- The member receives a written notice stating the decision made by the board and the reasons on which they made the decision.
Chapter Three – (Meetings) Edit
Section One (Regular Meeting) Edit
- An Annual General Meeting should be held once in a year for members.
- An online meeting should be held twice in a year for the board and program leaders to update community on activities.
Section Two (Special Meetings) Edit
- An Extraordinary Meeting can be held on the call of The President or when two‐thirds of members of the group want to have a meeting.
Section Three (Call for Meeting) Edit
- The board or person(s) acting as group secretary should inform all the members 7 days prior to meeting through email, WhatsApp or Telegram groups. Notification should clearly state the purpose, time, date and place of meeting.
Section Four (Minuting) Edit
- Minutes of all these category of meetings should be made available on Meta.
Chapter Four – (The Board of Directors) Edit
Section One (Role) Edit
- The Board of Directors is the executive and administrative body of the chapter.
- The Board of Directors can employ or appoint an officer for specific roles within the Group, but cannot delegate an officer to fulfil the board's responsibilities.
- The Board will be elected by vote.
Section Two (Board Membership) Edit
- All directors should have a minimum age of 18 years and legally able to sign contracts.
- The minimum number of Directors is two(2) and the maximum is five(5). If the number falls down for any reasons the other directors have to appoint individuals as needed to maintain the number.
- Director’s term shall be one year from the date of appointment and term can be renewed subject to voting by the general assembly.
- Any director may be removed from the office by 2/3 votes of directors
- The Board shall have meetings when necessary during the year; these meetings can be called by 2/3 of the Board.
- Decisions are taken by a simple majority of the members present at the meeting, and in case of a tie, the president vote is decisive.
- All Board members should be notified by the meetings dates one week prior.
- The Board meetings may be held by teleconferencing or online.
- The Secretary should keep the minutes of these meetings and the decisions taken in it together with a record of the names of persons present at the meetings.
- The director shall be determined on the following basis:
- Longstanding membership of about 2 years
- Active Wikimedian status (five edits in the last 30 days).
- Active involvement in volunteer activities in the past two year
- Knowledge of Wikimedia movement
- Does not hold any board position within the movement that is in conflict with the User Group's work
- Should not hold membership for any affiliate operating in similar activities within Nigeria.
Chapter Five – (Annual Convention/General Assembly Meeting) Edit
- The Annual General Meeting shall hold between January 1st and March 31st.
- A notice of the general meeting must be sent to all members at least 7 days before the meeting by WhatsApp, Telegram Group or E-mail. The notice shall include the agenda of the meeting.
- The chairperson of the General Meeting shall be the President of the board or any other representation from the board.
- Every member has the right to submit a suggestion that should be sent to the Board of directors not later than December 31, the year before the meeting.
- Every member has one vote. All members have the right to attend the meeting to speak and suggest to the general assembly.
- Decisions of the general assembly are made through simple majority of casted votes.
- In the event of a voting equality, the President shall determine the outcome of the vote.
Chapter Six – (Voting) Edit
- A member should be an active editor.
- A member holding other membership for any affiliate operating in similar activities within Nigeria cannot vote.
Chapter Seven – (Officers and Duties) Edit
Section One (President) Edit
- The President heads the work of the Executive Board of the Group.
- He/She presides all the meetings of the Executive Committee.
- The President of the Association represents and acts on behalf of the Association in the legal dealings with third parties and sign all the financial documents on behalf of the Association.
Section Two (Vice President) Edit
- The Vice President shall perform the duties of the President when he/she is not present and exercise all the powers of the President.
- The Vice President shall have the powers given to him/her by the President and acts as his adviser.
Section Three (Secretary) Edit
- Secretary shall keep the record of all the members, committee meetings, resolutions passed in general meetings and committee meeting.
- Secretary shall prepare an annual report of the group.
- The Secretary must keep in his or her custody or under his or her control all books, documents and securities of the organization.
Section Four (Treasurer) Edit
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for keeping of proper accounts.
- The Treasurer shall receive all monies on behalf of the Executive Committee and deposit the same in the name of the Group in the Bank.
- The Treasurer shall prepare the annual accounts of the Group and submit it in General Body meeting.
Section Five (Community Director) Edit
- The Program Coordinator is a staff role and will see to the day to day running of the chapter.
Section Six (Removal) Edit
- These officers can be removed by simple majority if they harm the image of the group and disturb the procedure of the group.
Section Seven (Resignations) Edit
- Any elected or appointed officer of the Group may resign at any time by giving written notice to the President or any person acting on his behalf.
Chapter Eight – (Finances) Edit
- No loans shall be collected or given on behalf of the organization
- The User Group has the right to carry out fund raising events inside and outside its area of action
- The board has the right to refuse funds from certain entities without claiming reasons
- All funds received by the Group shall be deposited from time to time to the credit of the chapter at such bank, credit union, or other depository institution as the Board of Directors may select, providing also that the majority of such funds shall be maintained at a depository institution in Nigeria
- The signing officers shall be the Treasurer and any other board member for all cheques, drafts, or other orders for the payment of money by the organization
- The User Group shall never allow its expenditures to exceed its available funds and revenue
- The President of the board and the treasurer’s signature legally binds the organization
- The financial year and year of activity is the same as the calendar year;
- All financial documents including checks will be kept by treasurer
Chapter Nine – (Records) Edit
- A member may make a copy of any accounts, books, securities and any other relevant documents of the organization.
- All accounts, books, securities and any other relevant documents of the organization must be available for inspection free of charge by any member upon request, from Mondays - Fridays within 9 Am - 5 PM.
Chapter Ten – (Dissolution) Edit
- A 2/3 majority vote at two consecutive annual meetings of the General Assembly is required for dissolution of the User Group. Upon dissolution, all assets of the Group will be transferred to Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Chapter Eleven – (Amendment) Edit
- Any bye-laws can be amended or repealed by simple majority in a General meeting or extra-ordinary meeting initiated by the majority of community members or board.